[11.05.2011][CF-Root v3.3] JJ*, JM*, KA*, JQ1 - su+busybox+CWM3/RFS

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original Samsung firmware, and just adds root, busybox, and ClockWorkMod (CWM3) recovery

(1) THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST!

(2) THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM TAB. IT MAY WORK ON OTHERS VARIANTS, BUT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN THERE !

(3) I have moved the description for the old FROYO CF-Root's to the next post, but the downloads for the FROYO CF-Root's are still attached to THIS post. The contents of THIS post however are about the GINGERBREAD CF-Root's

(4) MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE CAN ENTER DOWNLOAD MODE USING THE KEYCOMBINATION WHILE BOOTING BEFORE FLASHING CF-ROOT (or anything, really)

Donate
There have now been over 200.000 downloads of CF-Root for various devices, and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, etc that use it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!)

Features
- The kernel is fully stock and taken from the original firmware, with just the following added:
- Root
- Superuser 2.3.6.1
- Busybox v1.16.2androidminimal (from CWM)
- Integrated CWM 3.0.0.5 / RFS

Instructions (short)
- Flash CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN, without repartition. Done.

Instructions (long)
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
- Put your phone in download mode
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure repartition is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Instructions (alternative if you are already running CF-Root 2.5 or newer)
- Copy the zip file to your SD card
- Stop sharing SD card with computer over USB, unplug the cable, etc
- Applications -> CWM -> Flash kernel. Select the ZIP file on your SD card.
- Done

Other kernels
Replacing CF-Root with other kernels and vice-versa sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't have a list.

When going from CF-Root to another kernel, root will usually stay, while CWM will be lost (unless the other kernel also includes it), but there should not be issues. The CWM Manager and Tweak Manager apps may remain, but they probably won't do anything useful.

CF-Root is made to be applied on a stock kernel. Going from a lagfixed kernel to CF-Root usually does not work. Unlagfix first.

ClockworkMod
CF-Root includes a special version of CWM3, modified to work with RFS. CWM3 by default does not support RFS, koush' versions are all based on ext4. The RFS compatibility is done with heavy scripting. CWM3 is also recompiled from source with some slight modifications to handle key input correctly.

CF-Root/CWM3 is NOT compatible with ROM Manager! Manage/perform your backup/restores from CWM directly or using the CWM Manager application included with CF-Root

- Booting into recovery will immediately give you CWM. The standard recovery will only be started if a Samsung package is detected.
- ADB is functional in recovery, however it may take up to a minute for it to start up after booting into recovery.
- When connected to ADB in recovery, you need to use "rootsh" command to get root, instead of "su". This will not prompt you, it will just give you root. Obviously the "rootsh" command does not work when booted normally.

CWM Manager
Because of incompatibility with ROM Manager, I wrote and included "CWM Manager". This is a new app (as of March 30, 2011) and beta. You can find it under Applications -> CWM. It is much faster to use than manually booting into CWM and selecting these options.

Features:
- Boot to CWM
- Backup firmware
- Restore backups
- Delete backups
- Install APKs
- Flash CWM3 update.zip's
- Flash kernels (zImage, zImage in TAR, zImage in ZIP, zImage in TAR in ZIP)

Note: If you flash a different kernel, CWM Manager may remain installed. However, functions may not work, because they need kernel compatibility ! At this version of CWM Manager this does not produce errors, it just doesn't do what you expect it to :)

Tweak Manager
CF-Root includes a number of tweaks that are applied on startup. A "Tweaks" application is included you can use to select which tweaks to apply.

Ext4 Manager
Ext4 is currently NOT supported on Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab, unlike CF-Root for the Galaxy S.

Custom boot / init scripts
CF-Root will execute the following scripts if present, in the order listed:

- /system/etc/init.d/* (there can be many files here, no extensions! use #!)
- /system/bin/customboot.sh (busybox sh)
- /system/xbin/customboot.sh (busybox sh)
- /data/local/customboot.sh (busybox sh)

Please make sure you chown / chmod the scripts correctly so they can be executed.

Custom boot animations and binaries (note: broken in 3.2, fixed in 3.3)
CF-Root also supports custom boot animations:

- /system/media/bootanimation.zip
- /data/local/bootanimation.zip

And custom boot binaries:

- /data/local/bootanimation.bin

Installing busybox over the included version
It is possible to install a custom busybox over CF-Root v3.0 and newer. However, this is not without risk. CF-Root makes heavy use of scripting, and many CF-Root scripts rely on the internal busybox version. If you do install a seperate busybox version (always use "stericson" installer!), install it to /system/xbin. Installing it to /system/bin will mess things up for sure. Even if you do that part right, it may still break CF-Root, so make sure to make a backup before trying.

How ?
I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. Took me a few days to get it to this state. If this works right, however, next time it will probably take me a few hours tops :)

Download
LOOK WELL AT THE FILENAMES, MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE RIGHT VERSION !

CF-Root-TAB-KA1-v2.2.zip
CF-Root-TAB-JME-v2.2.zip
CF-Root-TAB-JJ7-v2.2.zip
CF-Root-TAB-JMG-v2.3.zip
CF-Root-TAB7_XX_OXA_JQ1-v3.3-CWM3RFS.zip

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.4 KB · Views: 12,386
Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Old FROYO CF-Root's

THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST!

THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM TAB. IT MAY WORK ON OTHERS VARIANTS, BUT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN THERE !

Features
- Root
- Superuser 2.3.6.1
- Busybox 1.16.2 "androidminimal"
- ClockworkMod 3.0.0.0 (RFS) included as standard recovery
- The same Samsung kernel, just with some added files. The kernel is not recompiled.

Instructions (short)
- Make sure, if you just flashed a ROM, to boot this ROM at least once before flashing CF-Root ! (if you don't do this, ROM-based update scripts may not run)
- Flash CF-Root-.....tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN 1.7, without repartition. Done.

Instructions (long)
- Make sure, if you just flashed a ROM, to boot this ROM at least once before flashing CF-Root ! (if you don't do this, ROM-based update scripts may not run)
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-.....zip (note: it contains a tar file, WinRAR and WinZIP may also extract these... if you end up with a zImage, you extracted twice, instead of once)
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-.....tar
- Click the START button

Must know
- It is possible you have a protected bootloader, see this thread, and check if you have a protected bootloader. CF-Root does NOT work on protected bootloaders.
- This is an RFS version of CF-Root, if you have used Koush' CWM and your filesystems have been converted to Ext4, CF-Root will NOT work. You need to reflash a full stock ROM with RFS filesystem to use CF-Root.
- If you are using a lagfix, CF-Root will NOT work!

Root
As normal, "su" can be used to get root if your device is fully booted. If not, for example in recovery, you can use the "rootsh" command.

BusyBox
The included busybox version is 1.16.2, this comes from CWM3. It is NOT needed to install or upgrade BusyBox from Market. In fact, I strongly advise against it.

ClockworkMod 3 / RFS
CF-Root for the Galaxy Tab actually includes ClockworkMod v3 (unlike CF-Root for the Galaxy S) as the default recovery. Booting into recovery will give you CWM3.

This is a heavily modified version of Koush' original CWM3 for the Tab, which uses RFS and has been extensively tested. This took a LOT of work!

Main features (differences from Koush' version):
- Uses RFS instead of Ext4 - no filesystem conversion needed
- Nandroid is fully operational without file corruption
- Backups are stored on internal SD-card
- .android-secure (apps on external SD-card) is backed up and restored

Controls:
- Volume up/down to scroll through the list of options
- Power button to select an item

From version 2.3, a "CWM" entry is listed under applications to reboot into CWM, for your convenience

Important note
A full nandroid restore also restores the kernel from the backup. This will overwrite the CF-Root kernel, if you've made the backup using a different ROM or kernel. Use "advanced restore" to restore only pieces.

A trick:
When upgrading between ROMs, I usually make a nandroid backup before the upgrade, then after flashing the ROM, use "advanced restore" in CWM3 and restore only "data". This often just works. It can cause issues, but it's a neat trick to keep your data and settings between ROMs.

ROM Manager
This version of CWM3 is NOT fully compatible with ROM Manager.

Some things work, some things don't. Really I'd advise to just use CWM from recovery manually.

First time installing ROM Manager, it'll tell you to flash CWM, just pick one of the Galaxy Tab versions and don't worry, it won't be used.

To get into CWM, just select the "reboot into recovery" option.

None of the commands that actually do something in recovery work. For example, you can manage your backups (rename, delete), but the backup and restore options don't work. They will just boot into CWM, and you still have to select backup or restore manually.

If you've used CF-Root 1.3 and 1.4
Major difference: backups are now stored on internal SD-card. Simply move the "clockworkmod" folder from external SD-card to internal SD-card to get access to your old backups. Keep in mind that a restore overwrites the kernel (CF-Root) again, as stated above.

Donate
Buy me a beer, click here - I appreciate it! If you're not going to donate, at least use the thanks button!

How ?
I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. This is a continuation of my CF-Root for SGS.

Downloads
You will find several files listed. There are for different ROM families.

Go to Settings -> About phone -> Build number. It should say something like FROYO.xxyyy. yyy will be something like JJ1 or JMA. This is the part we are interested in, and would be the JJ* and JM* "family" of ROMs. From the downloads, simply pick the latest file that matches this!

The actual file name notes which version the kernel was taken from. Different kernels from the same family usually work fine.

Is your family of ROMs not listed ? Post in this thread, maybe I can make you a version. You'll have to guinea-pig for testing, though!

( pre-2.2 : 666 )

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Changelogs

11.05.2011 - v3.3
- Custom bootanimations were broken in 3.2, now fixed

11.05.2011 - v3.2
- Ported all the updates from the latest SGS CF-Root to SGT:
--- Custom CWM 3.0.0.5 modded for dual EXT4/RFS operation
--- Added CWM Manager application (use this instead of ROM Manager, which is NOT compatible)
--- Added Tweak Manager application
--- Custom boot / init scripts support
--- Custom boot animation and binaries support
--- Different busybox versions are now installable

02.01.2011 - v2.3
- A "CWM" entry is listed under applications to reboot into CWM, for your convenience

14.01.2011 - v2.2
- Startup and shutdown sounds now always removed from /system when patching, to make sure there is space to put SuperUser.apk and su
- Patch status now saved in /system instead of /data. Fixes an issue with reflashing the ROM and re-installing CF-Root, which didn't always work before if you didn't wipe /data.
- Patch status from previous CF-Root versions is now removed

11.01.2011 - v2.1
- If /system is full, CF-Root will try removing the startup and shutdown sounds, then try rooting again. This should solve the issue of some people not actually getting root after flashing.
- "rootsh" command now only works in recovery, no longer in fully booted mode. Prevents sneaky programs from gaining root without you confirming.
- "sh" is now busybox shell only in recovery, and normal shell in fully booted mode. Fixes various issues both with normal commands as well as 3rd party programs.
- "reboot" command now works.
- Commands like "am" and "pm" now work, this allows Eclipse to work with the Tab again.
- Reduced size of zImage. May help people who have trouble flashing.

If you are running 2.0 and it is working fine, there is no strict need to upgrade, unless one of the things above is giving you problems.

Last edited:

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear chainfire,

Thanks a lot for your efforts. I will try this and post result when i find some spare time.

Kind Regards,

lordao

Nov 12, 2005
on JM6 here failed and gave me the phone error and no boot. Had to run just pit 1 hidden file with repartition to get it to boot correctly again.

I also tried the euro bootlloader, it installs but then reboots to the galaxy tab screen and stays there. :(

Lordao

sedde

Dec 24, 2006
Thessaloniki
I will give this a try and let you know how guys went.

Update : It completely failed.

zimage.jpg

Oh great, now i cant find out how to download heimdall, to push back my old kernel. Great !

Last edited:

pbruck

Feb 1, 2006
Me too :confused:

With fresh Flashed JMD also Error.
Have tryed both JMD Versions.

To bad :eek:

Hope you bring it to work.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
So all if you are having a flashing error ? That's so weird... will see what I can do about it. Has anyone been able to boot it yet ?

EDIT: From a quick look at other threads about this issue, apparently you need to KEEP ODIN OPEN and keep reflashing until it works. Strange I've never ever seen this error before on my SGS or SGT.

Last edited:

sedde

Dec 24, 2006
Thessaloniki
So all if you are having a flashing error ? That's so weird... will see what I can do about it. Has anyone been able to boot it yet ?

EDIT: From a quick look at other threads about this issue, apparently you need to KEEP ODIN OPEN and keep reflashing until it works. Strange I've never ever seen this error before on my SGS or SGT.

After flashing it once, if you try again you are getting stuck in SetupConnection and its doing nothing. I am willing to try it since i just got a backup of my whole thing, but i cant find heimdall to re-install the kernel back so i have to odin it all the time.

yann06

Nov 26, 2005
Chainfire , you are the man

It works pretty well with JM6 rom
My previous phone was galaxy s ... so I am quiet aware how to flash...

Next step , will be to update the clockwork recovery as ( access to external SD)
But well done for this release .... It will safe my time to manage my custom rom made

tmaurice

Dec 9, 2007
Baltimore
same fail error as others have received. Tried both JMC and JM6. Thanks for the effort - keep on trying! Glad to continue to test.

xandl12

Jul 23, 2010
Does not work here either with JMD

Tried to flash it with Odin(WinXp) and Heimdall(ubuntu).
Flashing back the original Kernel with heimdall worked fine.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Good news everyone! I've finally been able to replicate the issue. Now trying to find a fix (or WHY the problem occurs ;))

NGP

Oct 25, 2007
msk
It seems that CWN doesn't flash on devices that has boot.bin of JJM6 or later...

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Yeah I just figured the same thing. I wish I hadn't tried to find out, because I had a JM6 _without_ this problem, now I do have it.

The latest JMx ROMs install a new bootloader that uses signature verification. After flashing, it is impossible to flash sbl, boot, or zImage, if they do not have the correct signature.

That is also why many can no longer downgrade either, the old ROMs also don't have these signatures. If future official ROMs do not have them either, well then, we're all in a very big mess, because we will never get away from these JMx ROMs. We'll be stuck.

I've tried all the tricks listed in the various topic to downgrade, but none of them work if you have done full flash. Major bummer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original Samsung firmware, and just adds root, busybox, and ClockWorkMod (CWM3) recovery

(1) THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST!

(2) THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM TAB. IT MAY WORK ON OTHERS VARIANTS, BUT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN THERE !

(3) I have moved the description for the old FROYO CF-Root's to the next post, but the downloads for the FROYO CF-Root's are still attached to THIS post. The contents of THIS post however are about the GINGERBREAD CF-Root's

(4) MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE CAN ENTER DOWNLOAD MODE USING THE KEYCOMBINATION WHILE BOOTING BEFORE FLASHING CF-ROOT (or anything, really)

Donate
    There have now been over 200.000 downloads of CF-Root for various devices, and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, etc that use it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!)

Features
    - The kernel is fully stock and taken from the original firmware, with just the following added:
    - Root
    - Superuser 2.3.6.1
    - Busybox v1.16.2androidminimal (from CWM)
    - Integrated CWM 3.0.0.5 / RFS

Instructions (short)
    - Flash CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN, without repartition. Done.

Instructions (long)
    - Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
    - Click the START button

Instructions (alternative if you are already running CF-Root 2.5 or newer)
    - Copy the zip file to your SD card
    - Stop sharing SD card with computer over USB, unplug the cable, etc
    - Applications -> CWM -> Flash kernel. Select the ZIP file on your SD card.
    - Done

Other kernels
    Replacing CF-Root with other kernels and vice-versa sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't have a list.

When going from CF-Root to another kernel, root will usually stay, while CWM will be lost (unless the other kernel also includes it), but there should not be issues. The CWM Manager and Tweak Manager apps may remain, but they probably won't do anything useful.

CF-Root is made to be applied on a stock kernel. Going from a lagfixed kernel to CF-Root usually does not work. Unlagfix first.

ClockworkMod
    CF-Root includes a special version of CWM3, modified to work with RFS. CWM3 by default does not support RFS, koush' versions are all based on ext4. The RFS compatibility is done with heavy scripting. CWM3 is also recompiled from source with some slight modifications to handle key input correctly.

CF-Root/CWM3 is NOT compatible with ROM Manager! Manage/perform your backup/restores from CWM directly or using the CWM Manager application included with CF-Root

- Booting into recovery will immediately give you CWM. The standard recovery will only be started if a Samsung package is detected.
    - ADB is functional in recovery, however it may take up to a minute for it to start up after booting into recovery.
    - When connected to ADB in recovery, you need to use "rootsh" command to get root, instead of "su". This will not prompt you, it will just give you root. Obviously the "rootsh" command does not work when booted normally.

CWM Manager
    Because of incompatibility with ROM Manager, I wrote and included "CWM Manager". This is a new app (as of March 30, 2011) and beta. You can find it under Applications -> CWM. It is much faster to use than manually booting into CWM and selecting these options.

Features:
    - Boot to CWM
    - Backup firmware
    - Restore backups
    - Delete backups
    - Install APKs
    - Flash CWM3 update.zip's
    - Flash kernels (zImage, zImage in TAR, zImage in ZIP, zImage in TAR in ZIP)

Note: If you flash a different kernel, CWM Manager may remain installed. However, functions may not work, because they need kernel compatibility ! At this version of CWM Manager this does not produce errors, it just doesn't do what you expect it to :)

Tweak Manager
    CF-Root includes a number of tweaks that are applied on startup. A "Tweaks" application is included you can use to select which tweaks to apply.

Ext4 Manager
    Ext4 is currently NOT supported on Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab, unlike CF-Root for the Galaxy S.

Custom boot / init scripts
    CF-Root will execute the following scripts if present, in the order listed:

- /system/etc/init.d/* (there can be many files here, no extensions! use #!)
    - /system/bin/customboot.sh (busybox sh)
    - /system/xbin/customboot.sh (busybox sh)
    - /data/local/customboot.sh (busybox sh)

Please make sure you chown / chmod the scripts correctly so they can be executed.

Custom boot animations and binaries (note: broken in 3.2, fixed in 3.3)
    CF-Root also supports custom boot animations:

- /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    - /data/local/bootanimation.zip

And custom boot binaries:

- /data/local/bootanimation.bin

Installing busybox over the included version
    It is possible to install a custom busybox over CF-Root v3.0 and newer. However, this is not without risk. CF-Root makes heavy use of scripting, and many CF-Root scripts rely on the internal busybox version. If you do install a seperate busybox version (always use "stericson" installer!), install it to /system/xbin. Installing it to /system/bin will mess things up for sure. Even if you do that part right, it may still break CF-Root, so make sure to make a backup before trying.

How ?
    I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. Took me a few days to get it to this state. If this works right, however, next time it will probably take me a few hours tops :)

Download
    LOOK WELL AT THE FILENAMES, MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE RIGHT VERSION !

CF-Root-TAB-KA1-v2.2.zip
    CF-Root-TAB-JME-v2.2.zip
    CF-Root-TAB-JJ7-v2.2.zip
    CF-Root-TAB-JMG-v2.3.zip
    CF-Root-TAB7_XX_OXA_JQ1-v3.3-CWM3RFS.zip
    Old FROYO CF-Root's

THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST!

THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM TAB. IT MAY WORK ON OTHERS VARIANTS, BUT YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN THERE !

Features
    - Root
    - Superuser 2.3.6.1
    - Busybox 1.16.2 "androidminimal"
    - ClockworkMod 3.0.0.0 (RFS) included as standard recovery
    - The same Samsung kernel, just with some added files. The kernel is not recompiled.

Instructions (short)
    - Flash CF-Root-.....tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN 1.7, without repartition. Done.

Instructions (long)
    - Unzip the attached CF-Root-.....zip (note: it contains a tar file, WinRAR and WinZIP may also extract these... if you end up with a zImage, you extracted twice, instead of once)
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-.....tar
    - Click the START button

Must know
    - It is possible you have a protected bootloader, see this thread, and check if you have a protected bootloader. CF-Root does NOT work on protected bootloaders.
    - This is an RFS version of CF-Root, if you have used Koush' CWM and your filesystems have been converted to Ext4, CF-Root will NOT work. You need to reflash a full stock ROM with RFS filesystem to use CF-Root.
    - If you are using a lagfix, CF-Root will NOT work!

Root
    As normal, "su" can be used to get root if your device is fully booted. If not, for example in recovery, you can use the "rootsh" command.

BusyBox
    The included busybox version is 1.16.2, this comes from CWM3. It is NOT needed to install or upgrade BusyBox from Market. In fact, I strongly advise against it.

ClockworkMod 3 / RFS
    CF-Root for the Galaxy Tab actually includes ClockworkMod v3 (unlike CF-Root for the Galaxy S) as the default recovery. Booting into recovery will give you CWM3.

This is a heavily modified version of Koush' original CWM3 for the Tab, which uses RFS and has been extensively tested. This took a LOT of work!

Main features (differences from Koush' version):
    - Uses RFS instead of Ext4 - no filesystem conversion needed
    - Nandroid is fully operational without file corruption
    - Backups are stored on internal SD-card
    - .android-secure (apps on external SD-card) is backed up and restored

Controls:
    - Volume up/down to scroll through the list of options
    - Power button to select an item

From version 2.3, a "CWM" entry is listed under applications to reboot into CWM, for your convenience

Important note
    A full nandroid restore also restores the kernel from the backup. This will overwrite the CF-Root kernel, if you've made the backup using a different ROM or kernel. Use "advanced restore" to restore only pieces.

A trick:
    When upgrading between ROMs, I usually make a nandroid backup before the upgrade, then after flashing the ROM, use "advanced restore" in CWM3 and restore only "data". This often just works. It can cause issues, but it's a neat trick to keep your data and settings between ROMs.

ROM Manager
    This version of CWM3 is NOT fully compatible with ROM Manager.

Some things work, some things don't. Really I'd advise to just use CWM from recovery manually.

First time installing ROM Manager, it'll tell you to flash CWM, just pick one of the Galaxy Tab versions and don't worry, it won't be used.

To get into CWM, just select the "reboot into recovery" option.

None of the commands that actually do something in recovery work. For example, you can manage your backups (rename, delete), but the backup and restore options don't work. They will just boot into CWM, and you still have to select backup or restore manually.

If you've used CF-Root 1.3 and 1.4
    Major difference: backups are now stored on internal SD-card. Simply move the "clockworkmod" folder from external SD-card to internal SD-card to get access to your old backups. Keep in mind that a restore overwrites the kernel (CF-Root) again, as stated above.

Donate
    Buy me a beer, click here - I appreciate it! If you're not going to donate, at least use the thanks button!

How ?
    I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. This is a continuation of my CF-Root for SGS.

Downloads
    You will find several files listed. There are for different ROM families.

Go to Settings -> About phone -> Build number. It should say something like FROYO.xxyyy. yyy will be something like JJ1 or JMA. This is the part we are interested in, and would be the JJ* and JM* "family" of ROMs. From the downloads, simply pick the latest file that matches this!

The actual file name notes which version the kernel was taken from. Different kernels from the same family usually work fine.

Is your family of ROMs not listed ? Post in this thread, maybe I can make you a version. You'll have to guinea-pig for testing, though!

( pre-2.2 : 666 )
    CF-Root v3.2 for JQ1 / Gingerbread released !

Added CF-Root v3.2 for JQ1 / Gingerbread to the first post.

I've ported all the new goodies from the SGS CF-Root as well, but EXT4 IS NOT SUPPORTED (yet) !

Please retweet: http://twitter.com/#!/ChainfireXDA/status/68335963272777729

EDIT: First posts have been updated with the current CF-Root information!
    Changelogs

11.05.2011 - v3.3
    - Custom bootanimations were broken in 3.2, now fixed

11.05.2011 - v3.2
    - Ported all the updates from the latest SGS CF-Root to SGT:
    --- Custom CWM 3.0.0.5 modded for dual EXT4/RFS operation
    --- Added CWM Manager application (use this instead of ROM Manager, which is NOT compatible)
    --- Added Tweak Manager application
    --- Custom boot / init scripts support
    --- Custom boot animation and binaries support
    --- Different busybox versions are now installable

02.01.2011 - v2.3
    - A "CWM" entry is listed under applications to reboot into CWM, for your convenience

14.01.2011 - v2.2
    - Startup and shutdown sounds now always removed from /system when patching, to make sure there is space to put SuperUser.apk and su
    - Patch status now saved in /system instead of /data. Fixes an issue with reflashing the ROM and re-installing CF-Root, which didn't always work before if you didn't wipe /data.
    - Patch status from previous CF-Root versions is now removed

11.01.2011 - v2.1
    - If /system is full, CF-Root will try removing the startup and shutdown sounds, then try rooting again. This should solve the issue of some people not actually getting root after flashing.
    - "rootsh" command now only works in recovery, no longer in fully booted mode. Prevents sneaky programs from gaining root without you confirming.
    - "sh" is now busybox shell only in recovery, and normal shell in fully booted mode. Fixes various issues both with normal commands as well as 3rd party programs.
    - "reboot" command now works.
    - Commands like "am" and "pm" now work, this allows Eclipse to work with the Tab again.
    - Reduced size of zImage. May help people who have trouble flashing.

If you are running 2.0 and it is working fine, there is no strict need to upgrade, unless one of the things above is giving you problems.
    Odin in 30 secs with no error, but how do I know CWM is installed? I never use CWM before, can somebody tell me how to find out it is installed & how to boot into recovery? Thanks!

Turn off your device then turn it on again with press vol-up + power to boot into CWM