Galaxy S7 FingerPrint error after update.

Search This thread

sandman817

Aug 11, 2013
So i have recently updated my phone to the latest 7.0 software on my galaxy s7. ever since the update, my fingerprint scanner doesn't work. When i go into the system settings to try and setup new fingerprints it gives me the error "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device." I tried restarting the device, clearing the app's cache and data, as well as clearing the system cache in the boot menu. When i go into the FingerPrint test under the HwModuleTest(*#0*#) and perform a normal scan, everything comes back as failed. Is my only option to backup my phone and do a complete reinstall?

Reactions: Wildarmtins

VenomMOD

Feb 13, 2016
So i have recently updated my phone to the latest 7.0 software on my galaxy s7. ever since the update, my fingerprint scanner doesn't work. When i go into the system settings to try and setup new fingerprints it gives me the error "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device." I tried restarting the device, clearing the app's cache and data, as well as clearing the system cache in the boot menu. When i go into the FingerPrint test under the HwModuleTest(*#0*#) and perform a normal scan, everything comes back as failed. Is my only option to backup my phone and do a complete reinstall?
Try completely reinstalling QA6. I highly doubt the update caused the fingerprint scanner to start working though since it works perfectly fine on my phone.

aizq29

Feb 28, 2017
I recently updated my phone and am having the same problem. Have you found a solution for you that worked (I also tried wiping my cache partition and a soft reset)

Reactions: lordmada
Feb 28, 2017
I recently updated my phone and am having the same problem. Have you found a solution for you that worked (I also tried wiping my cache partition and a soft reset)
I also just updated my SM-G935FD via OTA to Android version 7.0.
Since then, fingerprint scanner is not working. Like for OP, all tests fail under HwModuleTest.
I tried to remove all fingerprints, but it is impossible to add new fingerprints - the error message is "Make sure that the Home key is clean and dry, then try again." Obviously, the fingerprint sensor is as dry and clean as it was before the update (when it worked perfectly).

Since then I tried, unsuccessfully:
- removing old fingerprints and adding new fingerprints (does not work, cf. above)
- formatting cache partition
- performing a hardware reset

Please advice, thanks.

P.S. I do not have access to Odin, since I do not have a Microsoft OS.

Reactions: lordmada

reup247

Dec 23, 2010
I had constant issues with the ATT firmware's fingerprint reader performance (6.x) -- wouldn't recognize my fingerprint when I tried to unlock and would often get the forced timeout.

It works flawlessly for me on the u firmware (still 6.x unfortunately). Night and day.

Wildarmtins

Apr 2, 2017
Same issue with me here in the UK. Just did the Nougat OTA update, having no end of issues, including the "dry home button" stuff with the fingerprint scanner. Also, the stock browser seems to have lost it's secret / incognito mode.... why can't they just leave stuff alone? Seems like my only option at this point is to downgrade back to marshmallow and put up with the annoying update notification.

lordmada

Mar 18, 2014
Same issue with me here in the UK. Just did the Nougat OTA update, having no end of issues, including the "dry home button" stuff with the fingerprint scanner. Also, the stock browser seems to have lost it's secret / incognito mode.... why can't they just leave stuff alone? Seems like my only option at this point is to downgrade back to marshmallow and put up with the annoying update notification.

Downgrade doesn't help

MtheInsomniac

Aug 1, 2017
Has anyone had, conversely, an *overactive* fingerprint sensor?

While the phone is unlocked, at times when my finger is only resting on the scanner, I'm taken to the accessibility settings with an alert asking "Grant Permission: Please, grant permission to allow this feature".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also just updated my SM-G935FD via OTA to Android version 7.0.
    Since then, fingerprint scanner is not working. Like for OP, all tests fail under HwModuleTest.
    I tried to remove all fingerprints, but it is impossible to add new fingerprints - the error message is "Make sure that the Home key is clean and dry, then try again." Obviously, the fingerprint sensor is as dry and clean as it was before the update (when it worked perfectly).

Since then I tried, unsuccessfully:
    - removing old fingerprints and adding new fingerprints (does not work, cf. above)
    - formatting cache partition
    - performing a hardware reset

Please advice, thanks.

P.S. I do not have access to Odin, since I do not have a Microsoft OS.