Chromecast Offscreen Rendering?

Search This thread

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
I was developing some software for Chromecast when I discovered that it is only 720p, even on the Ultra model. So I decided to look into offscreen rendering on Android, which is possible. But I haven't been able to quite figure out how I could make a phone render an image and then send it to the Chromecast. All the streaming protocols it seems to support require some crazy backed server setup with tons of files, am I missing something stupid or is it just a pain?

Vagelis1608

Sep 16, 2012
Athens
LG G2 Mini
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Have you looked into UPnP?
I believe it is pretty simple. I tried to do something similar in the past, but the (old) phone on which I tried to set it up kept crashing.
If it's for personal use, you can use BubbleUPnP. It's good.

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
Have you looked into UPnP?
I believe it is pretty simple. I tried to do something similar in the past, but the (old) phone on which I tried to set it up kept crashing.
If it's for personal use, you can use BubbleUPnP. It's good.

I thought that was only for port forwarding, if I could make something use that to stream to a Chromecast that would be great.

What would I need to do on the computer/phone and on the Chromecast receiver to make this work?

This would be aimed for a real release, so using another app wouldn't fly in my opinion.

Vagelis1608

Sep 16, 2012
Athens
LG G2 Mini
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
I thought that was only for port forwarding, if I could make something use that to stream to a Chromecast that would be great.

What would I need to do on the computer/phone and on the Chromecast receiver to make this work?

This would be aimed for a real release, so using another app wouldn't fly in my opinion.
Chromecast is UPnP-ready, I believe. So, you won't have to do anything on it.

I don't really know what you have to do on the PC/phone, since I have only tried it with that app.
But, I believe UPnP might be the protocol you need. Look into it.

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
Chromecast is UPnP-ready, I believe. So, you won't have to do anything on it.

I don't really know what you have to do on the PC/phone, since I have only tried it with that app.
But, I believe UPnP might be the protocol you need. Look into it.

I'm not finding anything other than software packages that are for streaming video files. I am not finding any info on how to actually program a streamer.