• Thinkfree Mobile

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • OfficeSuite Pro+

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Kingsoft Office

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • SoftMaker Apps

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other (e.g. Google Docs or other online apps)

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

thosor

Jul 27, 2010
Hello there,

there is a new app in the making from softmaker.com .
Currently it is closed beta(4), but with a mail you can participate.
Currently it is really slow and there is an force close when using the keyboard (yes.. the keyboard :) ).

But this office could have much potential because it has more functions and can edit and show office2010-documents correctly.

Maybe it could be included in this comparison in the future?!?

More information: softmaker.com/english/blog

funnycreature

Sure thing! I am always willing to test new promising Office suites! I actually have one that I still need to put in here but I simply can't find the time for it :(

Could you send me a PM with the email address that I can send my interest for (beta) testing to?

Hello there,

there is a new app in the making from softmaker.com .
Currently it is closed beta(4), but with a mail you can participate.
Currently it is really slow and there is an force close when using the keyboard (yes.. the keyboard :) ).

But this office could have much potential because it has more functions and can edit and show office2010-documents correctly.

Maybe it could be included in this comparison in the future?!?

More information: softmaker.com/english/blog

Reactions: Esoth and Emhyr

funnycreature

FIFTH Office app added

All,

I am happy to announce that I finally got around to uploading at least the screenshots for a fifth Office App, ThinkFree Office. It looks great but has many shortcomings, just like all the other apps. *sigh* Hopefully, I will find more time to complete the overview/direct comparison tables soon as well.

Reactions: Steven1145

GoRRaN

Jul 12, 2010
Skopje
One question to all

I have a table with more than 100.000 lines...
I have tried polaris, documents to go and office hd with no luck... all of them say no memory to open table..

What do u suggest? Please answer this...it is very important to me this excel table

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

funnycreature

I am not an expert on this but my suspicion is that most of these suites are based on apps developed for mobile phones with slow processors and low memory. Most likely they were not designed to handle large amounts of data as I could see with my test Excel file (which is far from being big but contains lot of different styles etc.).
Sorry I can't help you more!

One question to all

I have a table with more than 100.000 lines...
I have tried polaris, documents to go and office hd with no luck... all of them say no memory to open table..

What do u suggest? Please answer this...it is very important to me this excel table

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: GoRRaN

tixed

Feb 19, 2011
Donetsk
Great comparsion. Can't find one thing though: styles.

Not just 'bold', 'italic' or 'underline' - but true styles like in Word or Google Doc - Header 1, Header 2, Plain Text, etc. They're templates with adjusted font size, type and paragraph align, so I can switch them very fast from the list - don't need to set all this things every time I have to type another header in.

Any of these apps have that ability? Or maybe some other has?

Last edited:

funnycreature

I wouldn't get my hope up too much. Although styles are (I guess) nothing else but definitions in the XML header, you might be asking for too much. You will be lucky if a document with different styles is displayed properly but something like the Office 2007/2010 Ribbon I haven't found yet.

Great comparsion. Can't find one thing though: styles.

Not just 'bold', 'italic' or 'underline' - but true styles like in Word or Google Doc - Header 1, Header 2, Plain Text, etc. They're templates with adjusted font size, type and paragraph align, so I can switch them very fast from the list - don't need to set all this things every time I have to type another header in.

Any of these apps have that ability? Or maybe some other has?

tixed

Feb 19, 2011
Donetsk
I wouldn't get my hope up too much. Although styles are (I guess) nothing else but definitions in the XML header, you might be asking for too much. You will be lucky if a document with different styles is displayed properly but something like the Office 2007/2010 Ribbon I haven't found yet.

No, I don't mean the whole Ribbon from office, only the ability to select text style. It was there a lot earlier than 2007/2010 versions.

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker :) The part which I'm talking about is on the image from wikipedia. Just to be sure. Ofc, it doesn't has to be in exactly the same shape.

If there's no such feature present in any android office app - well, snap.

Attachments

• 550px-Office2010Ribbon.png
    550px-Office2010Ribbon.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 277

funnycreature

No, it was my bad. Of course, styles have been round for a while but you will notice that most office apps for Android try to use some kind of combination of ribbon and the out-dated drop-down menus. I have only individual text formatting options (bold, underline etc.) but nothing that is close to styles.

No, I don't mean the whole Ribbon from office, only the ability to select text style. It was there a lot earlier than 2007/2010 versions.

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker :) The part which I'm talking about is on the image from wikipedia. Just to be sure. Ofc, it doesn't has to be in exactly the same shape.

If there's no such feature present in any android office app - well, snap.

tixed

Feb 19, 2011
Donetsk
No, it was my bad. Of course, styles have been round for a while but you will notice that most office apps for Android try to use some kind of combination of ribbon and the out-dated drop-down menus. I have only individual text formatting options (bold, underline etc.) but nothing that is close to styles.

Okay then. You're watching all new office apps as I understand, so I'm looking forward to see styles at last in any of the new apps :) Like the beta one person mentioned earlier... Maybe that'll be a good idea to suggest, because app is still in development. This ability would truly outstand it from the crowd.

Last edited:

funnycreature

I'm not really watching anything. I'm merely keeping an eye out if there finally is an office app that allows being productive :D
So far I am beginning to think that the tablet is only for entertainment and not even close to being a substitute for a laptop. I'll keep searching though!

Okay then. You're watching all new office apps as I understand, so I'm looking forward to see styles at last in any of the new apps :) Like the beta one person mentioned earlier... Maybe that'll be a good idea to suggest, because app is still in development. This ability would truly outstand it from the crowd.

lemmyslender

Aug 12, 2010
Do any of the office suites handle Excel conditional formatting?

ie in a column with ten numbers, I want to highlight (fill) the cell with the lowest number green. In the case of multiple lowest numbers, highlight the cell yellow.

GoRRaN

Jul 12, 2010
Skopje
I'm not really watching anything. I'm merely keeping an eye out if there finally is an office app that allows being productive :D
So far I am beginning to think that the tablet is only for entertainment and not even close to being a substitute for a laptop. I'll keep searching though!

Totally agree with you..
when i bought my tablet i expected more apps for business :)

funnycreature

When you look at the screenshots for the Excel comparison there is a part that shows conditional formatting. It is actually supported but I couldn't tell you to what extent!

Do any of the office suites handle Excel conditional formatting?

ie in a column with ten numbers, I want to highlight (fill) the cell with the lowest number green. In the case of multiple lowest numbers, highlight the cell yellow.

Reactions: lemmyslender

lemmyslender

Aug 12, 2010
Thanks, I see that now. I've tried it in a couple of the office suites, don't know if I had the latest updates though.

Perhaps it's not my conditional formatting, but the formula I'm using for it:
Code:
=IF(F5=MIN(F$5:F$24),IF(COUNTIF(F$5:F$24,MIN(F$5:F$24))=1,TRUE,IF(D5=MIN(D$5:D$24),IF(COUNTIF(D$5:D$24,MIN(D$5:D$24))=1,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),FALSE)
is used to format the cell green in the instance of a single lowest number. It also checks a second column used to decide "ties" in the case of multiple lowest numbers.

When you look at the screenshots for the Excel comparison there is a part that shows conditional formatting. It is actually supported but I couldn't tell you to what extent!

funnycreature

I assume your conditional formatting looks for 'TRUE' or 'FALSE' then? If you tell me what exactly you want to do I might be able to help you determine whether it's your formula or the app's inability to evaluate the formula or cond'l formatting.

Thanks, I see that now. I've tried it in a couple of the office suites, don't know if I had the latest updates though.

Perhaps it's not my conditional formatting, but the formula I'm using for it:
Code:
=IF(F5=MIN(F$5:F$24),IF(COUNTIF(F$5:F$24,MIN(F$5:F$24))=1,TRUE,IF(D5=MIN(D$5:D$24),IF(COUNTIF(D$5:D$24,MIN(D$5:D$24))=1,TRUE,FALSE),FALSE)),FALSE)
is used to format the cell green in the instance of a single lowest number. It also checks a second column used to decide "ties" in the case of multiple lowest numbers.

Reactions: lemmyslender

lemmyslender

Aug 12, 2010
The formula works just fine in excel. It's actually for a skins game for a golf league. Scores for each hole are entered for each player. The players score is reduced by up to 2 strokes depending on handicap and difficulty of the hole. One column holds actual scores, the second column holds adjusted scores.

The formula checks to to see if the adjusted score for the player is equal to the minimum for all players, and checks if there is more than one score equal to the minimum. If there are multiple minimum scores, it checks for the lowest natural score. If the score is the only minimum (or is the only minimum natural score) then it results in true and is filled green, otherwise false, no fill.

It should just be a series of IF's checking against MIN(...) OR COUNTIF(...)

I assume your conditional formatting looks for 'TRUE' or 'FALSE' then? If you tell me what exactly you want to do I might be able to help you determine whether it's your formula or the app's inability to evaluate the formula or cond'l formatting.

tixed

Feb 19, 2011
Donetsk

IC. Btw, only features from PC that I personally miss in my tablet are: DVD-burn and PC-only games.

I wonder if ipad has functional office app that is not yet ported to honeycomb. For me, ipad is even more "entertainment only" comparing to android tablet, but it arrived way earlier on the stage - would be logical to assume that some good office app exists there. Then we can just wait for it to be ported.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE NOTE:

I do not have an updated version of Polaris if available since I am running my TF101 on an excellent custom ROM. I also have not found it necessary to update the Documents to Go comparison since the version number increased marginally (and it was never good to begin with).
    I also noticed that some apps might benefit from installing the right fonts into the internal memory into root/fonts. My comparison is based on a stock scenario where no additional fonts have been installed.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the next post (PowerPoint) and the Word comparison with the most recent office suites. Excel to follow soon!

Office_comp_Gen_feat.PNG

I also took a screenshot of the "welcome" screen of each suite:

Documents To Go Market link
    DocumentsToGo_welcome.png

Picsel Smart Office2 Market link
    SmartOffice_welcome.png

QuickOffice Pro HD Market link
    QuickOffice_welcome.png

Polaris Office
    Polaris_welcome.png

ThinkFree Mobile for Tablet Market link
    ThinkFree_welcome.png

OfficeSuite Pro + Market link
    OfficeSuitePro_welcome.png

Kingsoft Office Market link
    Kingsoft_welcome.png

SoftMaker Office Market link
    TextMaker_welcome.png
    Spreadsheet comparison [updated 02/18/2013]

A good spreadsheet can be used for hundreds of purposes: Inventory, checklists, schedules, shopping lists, etc. I think that this is one of the most important reasons to have a powerful mobile computing device! Unfortunately, there are still severe shortcomings with the currently available spreadsheet apps.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the PowerPoint and Word comparison with the most recent office suites.

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_xlsx.PNG

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Format_Original.PNG

Screenshot Documents To Go
    XLSX_Format_Docs2Go.png

Screenshot Picsel Smart Office
    XLSX_Format_Picsel.png

Screenshot QuickOffice HD Pro
    (It took forever to open the file and to switch tabs)
    XLSX_Format_QuickOffice.png

Screenshot Polaris Office
    XLSX_Format_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Format_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Format_SoftMaker.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro+
    XLSX_Format_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (taken form 2003 .xls file)
    XLSX_Format_King.png

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Charts_Original.PNG

(note: this is obviously a montage; the charts are NOT shown and need to be viewed one by one)
    XLSX_Charts_Docs2Go.png

XLSX_Charts_Picsel.png

XLSX_Charts_QuickOffice.png

XLSX_Charts_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Charts_ThinkFree.png

XLSX_Charts_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (had to use 2003 [.xls] format since .xlsx kept crashing)
    XLSX_Charts_King.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Charts_SoftMaker.png
    Word comparison [Updated 02/17/2013]

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

PS: If you like this comparison, hop over to http://www.academia-nutcrackers.com and check out my book on Word 2007!

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_docx.PNG

PARAGRAPH AND FONT FORMATTING

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Word 2010
    DOCX_Paragraph_Original.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Picsel.png

DOCX_Paragraph_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Paragraph_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker TextMaker
    DOCX_Paragraph_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND GRAPHICS

DOCX_Table_Original.png

DOCX_Table_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Table_Picsel.png

DOCX_Table_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Table_Polaris.png

DOCX_Table_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Table_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_Table_King.png

DOCX_Table_SoftMaker.png

LISTS AND TEXT BOX

DOCX_List_Original.png

DOCX_List_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_List_Picsel.png

DOCX_List_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_List_Polaris.png

DOCX_List_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_List_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_List_King.png

DOCX_List_SoftMaker.png
    PowerPoint comparison [Updated 02/15/2013]

This post is to illustrate the differences in rendering/interpretation of the different Office Suites. The PowerPoint file contains three slides; the first showing the different graphics, the second showing some text formatting, and the third one a table and a graphic with some MS Office 2007+ effects.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

comparison_pptX.PNG

IMPORTED GRAPHICS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
    PPTX_Graphics_Original.PNG

PPTX_Graphic_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Graphic_Picsel.png

PPTX_Graphic_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Graphic_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Graphic_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro
    PPTX_Graphic_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Graphic_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker Presentations
    PPTX_Graphic_SoftMaker.png

TEXT FORMATTING

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Text_Original.PNG

PPTX_Text_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Text_Picsel.png

PPTX_Text_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Text_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Text_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Text_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Text_King.png

PPTX_Text_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND EFFECTS

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Effects_Original.PNG

PPTX_Effects_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Effects_Picsel.png

PPTX_Effects_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Effects_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Effects_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Effects_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Effects_King.png

PPTX_Effects_SoftMaker.png
    Version 3.003 of Documents to Go was released. I haven't done in-depth evaluation yet but judging from the change log and the minimal increase of the version number, I don't expect much of an improvement regarding the short-comings of D2G's functionality.

changes:
    What's in this version:

3.003 (961) 5/19/11
    •Support Desktop Sync on Honeycomb (full version)
    •Improve main UI for Honeycomb
    •Various fixes/improvements -
    Fix registration on Moto Xoom
    Fix hyperlinks in PDF (full version)
    Improve PDF stability (full version)
    Improve overall stability
    Support external SD/USB on Acer A500