FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP]ContactSync sync contact information on Android/Blackberry

374 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By 920904, Senior Member on 31st July 2012, 12:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
ContactSync is an Android (also works on Blackberry) app which allows you to sync your Android contacts with local files and FTP, HTTP, WebDAV or CardDAV servers.

Do you want to check out the app? Then just load and install the free test version where you can check out all the feature for free at the Google Play Store, Blackberry World, Amazon Store or directly from my website (link below).

Features:
  • Using a self-created analyser which supports complex and more features than other contact sync applications.
  • Supporting vCards in all availbale versions (4.0, 3.0 and 2.1)
  • Supporting much more android contact fields then other apps (IMPORT and EXPORT).
  • Contact photos can also be automatically be loaded from the web!
  • Automatically create appointments for birthdays and anniversaries so that you won't miss them!
  • Importing contacts stored on the android device (.vcf).
  • Importing multiple files at once
  • Fingerfriedly user interface.
  • Supporting different ways of handling double contacts:Ignoring, Replacing, Merging
  • Supporting groups (native groups in vCard 4.0 and mapping of categories in vCard 3.0 and 2.1)
  • Sync statistics
  • Automatic background sync
  • Supporting network sources for contact information.
  • Supporting HTTP/HTTPS (syncing from and to a server (two way sync))
  • Supporting FTP/FTPS (syncing from and to a server (two way sync))
  • Supporting WebDAV/WebDAVs (syncing from and to a server (two way sync))
  • Supporting CardDAV (syncing from and to a server (two way sync))
  • Supporting (also two way) sync to local files stored on your device
  • Supporting self signed certificates
  • Multi-language: Currently english
  • If you are interested in translating the app in other languages please contact me.

The app handles more contact/group data then other apps e.g.:
address, birthdays, anniversaries, custom events, categories, groups, notes, email, instant messages, name, nickname, organizations, photos (also high res), relations, phonetic names, websites, roles, titles, Apple specific extensions, Mime dir groups, Android specific extensions, self defined custom labels

The app has been sucessfully tested with more then 30 different CardDAV Servers like Apple iCloud or Owncloud. You can find a list here:Sucessfully tested CardDAV Server

Requirements:
Android 2.2 or newer.

Permissions
android.permission.READ_CONTACTS and android.permission.WRITE_CONTACTS
The app is designed to interact with the contacts on the device so it needs the rigths access the contacts.
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
Used to create files on the device e.g. to backup contacts in .vcf files and to read files storing contacts.
android.permission.INTERNET and android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
Used to access contact information available at server connected by a network like the Internet.
android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
For licensing the app needs access to device id.
com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE
Needed for google licensing mechanism.
android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED and android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE
For the automatic background sync feature.
android.permission.WAKE_LOCK
For the automatic background sync and to prevent the device to go in sleep mode during operations.
android.permission.MANAGE_ACCOUNTS and android.permission.AUTHENTICATE_ACCOUNTS and android.permission.USE_CREDENTIALS and android.permission.READ_SYNC_SETTINGS and android.permission.WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS
Used to create and manage android sync accounts to integrate the app in the default contact handling apps.
android.permission.READ_CALENDAR and android.permission.WRITE_CALENDAR
The app has a feature which can be used to automatically create appointments for birthdays and anniversaries at a choosebale calendar so that you wont miss such an event.

If you like my app please donate so that i can develop further improvements.
Download (NO MIRRORING): Contact Sync click here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 920904 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 920904 Ad-Free
1st April 2013, 03:35 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
When for an Open Source version ?
Hi,

You say that this app will be FOSS with the 1.0 version. So, concretely when ??

Thanks
2nd April 2013, 03:00 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLFH

Hi,

You say that this app will be FOSS with the 1.0 version. So, concretely when ??

Thanks

I'm sorry but I think you mean a different app and developer.
22nd August 2013, 02:41 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
just installed it and was disappointed. the post said nothing about money...

and your webpage you dont say how much it is...only to contact you directly

i have a place for software like this, its called /dev/null
22nd August 2013, 08:53 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfan34

just installed it and was disappointed. the post said nothing about money...

and your webpage you dont say how much it is...only to contact you directly

i have a place for software like this, its called /dev/null

If you just want to buy the app then you can easily click the play store link. But if you want to test the app or buy it directly from me then you will have to communicate with me in any way (to find a purchase option which fits your need, informations how to get a (of course free and NOT limited) testlicense, and so on).
28th January 2014, 07:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I am looking for an app that can help me to import my Palm contacts from my pc, which I can export as vcf.

Can your app handle that?
29th January 2014, 11:24 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by binser

I am looking for an app that can help me to import my Palm contacts from my pc, which I can export as vcf.

Can your app handle that?

Basically the app can handle vcf files really well , but in your case I can give you some additoanl details because I had already some users with used my app to transfer palm .vcf contacts and gave me a very good feedback, so yes this can be done with the app.
The Following User Says Thank You to 920904 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 920904 Ad-Free
19th March 2014, 11:50 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Birthday Calendar
Hi,

I discovered this app when I was looking for a way to sync my android contacts with my homeserver running radicale.
The app was easy to set up and works quit good, so I decided to buy the paid version for small money

I like the option to put all birthdays and anniversaries from contacts to a calendar and used this option too.
I have three minor things to note in this calendar scenario:
1. anniversaries are not processed, when a server addressbook is newly synced to the pone. It works only, wenn contacts are entered on the phone. I would like an option to generate calendar entries when getting contacts from server. Or perhaps just an option to create calendar entries from already existing contacts so I can create an new calendar even if contact are already on the phone.
2. I have wedding days in my contacts which are called "Hochzeitstag". Here the app generates some strange calender entries with "... name not found ...". Maybe you can fix this.
3. The age of a person in a calendar entry is just in the description, not in the title. Since my calendar widget just shows the title of an entry I would appreciate an option to generate the age to calendar title too.

But I must say, that sync functionality is just great. With little improvements for calendar integration it will be phenomenal!

donny
20th March 2014, 11:42 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny02

Hi,

I discovered this app when I was looking for a way to sync my android contacts with my homeserver running radicale.
The app was easy to set up and works quit good, so I decided to buy the paid version for small money

I like the option to put all birthdays and anniversaries from contacts to a calendar and used this option too.
I have three minor things to note in this calendar scenario:
1. anniversaries are not processed, when a server addressbook is newly synced to the pone. It works only, wenn contacts are entered on the phone. I would like an option to generate calendar entries when getting contacts from server. Or perhaps just an option to create calendar entries from already existing contacts so I can create an new calendar even if contact are already on the phone.
2. I have wedding days in my contacts which are called "Hochzeitstag". Here the app generates some strange calender entries with "... name not found ...". Maybe you can fix this.
3. The age of a person in a calendar entry is just in the description, not in the title. Since my calendar widget just shows the title of an entry I would appreciate an option to generate the age to calendar title too.

But I must say, that sync functionality is just great. With little improvements for calendar integration it will be phenomenal!

donny

Hi Donny,

thank you for your feedback.
1) Currently there are only appointments generated for contacts synced from the server to the device because those run through the full sync process. So I assume that you want to get the other way?

2)The app uses the FullName vcard field for the displayed name. This sounds (when the tag "name not defined") is displayed that the FullName (FN element) is missing at the contact. This violates the vCard Standard because it has to be present at each vcard at least once. Do you know which system has generated the vcard, you could file in a bug report?
But I think I can add a fallback for structure name and nickname definition in this case.

3) I dont want to get the appointment title too long I think I can add it in a very short fashion.

If you like it and want to support the future development then a nice rating at the play store will be helpful

Regards
Annemarie
24th March 2014, 10:32 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Hi Annemarie,

thank u for your reply. Just to clarify:

1. first I tried syncing an addressbook from server to fresh resetted phone and no appointments were generated. Then I cleared contacts and calendars on phone and server. Then in android I imported a file which I exported earlier from standard android contacts app. This created new file on server too. I'm not 100% sure, because I had to do it several times, but I think that was the moment when appointments were generated. If you say, they are created when synced from server, everything is good, but as I remember, it did not. But in addition it would be great to have an function to create these appointments from contacts no matter where they come from, even if they are already on the phone.

2. the wedding day comes from standard android 4.1 contact export / import. It is a contact with to dates, which look like this:
X-ANDROID-CUSTOM:vnd.android.cursor.item/contact_event;2011-04-15;1;;;;;;;;;;;;;
BDAY:1984-01-27
I think, the problem is, that first date has no valid name. The contact has a name, it is just the date.

3. that would be nice.

Regards,
Donny
26th March 2014, 12:34 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi,

1)Currently the appointments are generated when you import something into your device with my app, the source is not important (so local .vcf files on the device, mail attachments or contacts synced from a server -> all will generate appointments if this is enabled at the settings). But depending on the source my app checks if a import is really necessary, so if you have imported a lot of contacts previously then my app checks on the next sync if something at the contact data has been changed and only will update/import changed/new contacts.

So a reason for your experience can be that you first synced your contacts then later enabled the appointment (contact birthdays, and so on) generation at the settings of the app and then synced again and nothing happens because the old and new data on e.g. the server are the same => Therefore my app detects that nothing has to be synced (which is important to speed up the sync process) because nothing has been changed on eater side.

There is a workaround for such an issue available:
  • If you are importing local files then you can set the app to overwrite/update existing contacts which have previously imported -> This will lead to an update/import and the appointments will be generated
  • If you are syncing with a server then you can clean up the WebContact at the Created WebContact list (which will remove all the synced contacts from this specific WebContact on your device) and then start a new sync and all contacts will freshly loaded from your server and imported => appointments will be generated

2) Can you post the full content of the specific contact or send it to me using a private message of you dont want to show it to the public? (Of course it will be deleted as soon as possible afterwards) So that I can take a look on it.

3) I can send you a test version if you want to check it out upfront?

Regards
Annemarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny02

Hi Annemarie,

thank u for your reply. Just to clarify:

1. first I tried syncing an addressbook from server to fresh resetted phone and no appointments were generated. Then I cleared contacts and calendars on phone and server. Then in android I imported a file which I exported earlier from standard android contacts app. This created new file on server too. I'm not 100% sure, because I had to do it several times, but I think that was the moment when appointments were generated. If you say, they are created when synced from server, everything is good, but as I remember, it did not. But in addition it would be great to have an function to create these appointments from contacts no matter where they come from, even if they are already on the phone.

2. the wedding day comes from standard android 4.1 contact export / import. It is a contact with to dates, which look like this:
X-ANDROID-CUSTOM:vnd.android.cursor.item/contact_event;2011-04-15;1;;;;;;;;;;;;;
BDAY:1984-01-27
I think, the problem is, that first date has no valid name. The contact has a name, it is just the date.

3. that would be nice.

Regards,
Donny

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)