Devs & Chefs: an idea to help you communicate with your fanbase

Search This thread

AmericanJedi001

Dec 17, 2010
Longview, TX
The structure of this ROM Work-In-Progress Topic is incredible! If Epic devs and chefs were as careful about formatting their OPs and providing information as the OP of the linked Topic below, I would imagine it would cut down on the unnecessary posts, wasted time, headaches, etc. associated with supporting the userbase and fans of said devs' respective products. But then again, I'm probably giving the LooneyRats of XDA way too much credit! :D

Team Hacksung's ICS port for Galaxy S

P.S. Some of you might be interested in reading it more for the content than how pretty it is, hahaha! Very encouraging to hear that ICS for the SGS line is being worked on, even if it doesn't directly affect or help us much.

P.P.S. If any of you would like help or suggestions for clarifying your Topics I'd be glad to help. I'm kind of a communications nerd, so I geek out over making things as concise and informative as possible. (I'm probably a bit overbearing as a Squad Leader in BF3 as a result, TBH!)

Last edited:
Reactions: soraxd

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
I already try to do that - go look at the SRF1.1.0 thread, and noCIQ to follow - but believe me, people still repeat dumb questions, don't read, don't search...

I definitely agree that things need to be formatted better, cleaned up, and the like - but I don't think it will change the state of noobery. </cynicism>

TexasLTE

Apr 11, 2011
Texas
I already try to do that - go look at the SRF1.1.0 thread, and noCIQ to follow - but believe me, people still repeat dumb questions, don't read, don't search...

I definitely agree that things need to be formatted better, cleaned up, and the like - but I don't think it will change the state of noobery. </cynicism>

or loonery :rolleyes:
but that is a very good point AmericanJedi , and it would hopefully cut back on some of the multiple same questions (not to mention some of the sarcastic posts like this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19294336&postcount=2674...... ;) )

AmericanJedi001

Dec 17, 2010
Longview, TX

Well said, sir! I agree, noobery/Loonery will persist, but I feel very confident that clear, concise, informative OPs/Topics will cut down the BS at least a little bit, and also help spread knowledge even among the experienced people here, developer or not. (For instance, I dabble in Java, but I am not a developer. However, I enjoy reading all the technical stuff you and the other experienced devs post, whether it's in an OP or 300 pages deep.)
or loonery :rolleyes:
but that is a very good point AmericanJedi , and it would hopefully cut back on some of the multiple same questions (not to mention some of the sarcastic posts like this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19294336&postcount=2674...... ;) )
Hahaha, niiice! I remember back when we posted those, that got a laugh outta me!
How about you start by publishing accurate changelogs and up-to-date links. Then we can talk about formatting. ;)
We can go about this one of two ways as I see it:
  1. Basically k0nane's politely suggested method :p: you supply me with all the information you can think of (such as changelogs, which I, along with k0nane and a few other people, consider very important), then I'll format it and send it to you.
  2. I create a shell or outline, then you fill it in with the appropriate information.
The more I think about it, I think Option (2) would be best, and in fact I'll post the shell where any devs can copy/paste it, fill in what they need, cut what they don't, and tailor to their needs. However, it's late here and I tend to nit-pick my posts, which means this could easily be an hour-long-or-more project, so I'll do it some time this weekend. Fair enough?

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Well said, sir! I agree, noobery/Loonery will persist, but I feel very confident that clear, concise, informative OPs/Topics will cut down the BS at least a little bit, and also help spread knowledge even among the experienced people here, developer or not. (For instance, I dabble in Java, but I am not a developer. However, I enjoy reading all the technical stuff you and the other experienced devs post, whether it's in an OP or 300 pages deep.)

Hahaha, niiice! I remember back when we posted those, that got a laugh outta me!

We can go about this one of two ways as I see it:
  1. Basically k0nane's politely suggested method :p: you supply me with all the information you can think of (such as changelogs, which I, along with k0nane and a few other people, consider very important), then I'll format it and send it to you.
  2. I create a shell or outline, then you fill it in with the appropriate information.
The more I think about it, I think Option (2) would be best, and in fact I'll post the shell where any devs can copy/paste it, fill in what they need, cut what they don't, and tailor to their needs. However, it's late here and I tend to nit-pick my posts, which means this could easily be an hour-long-or-more project, so I'll do it some time this weekend. Fair enough?

Ok. Thanks. Option 2 sounds good.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

AmericanJedi001

Dec 17, 2010
Longview, TX
Those who know me know I'm blunt and to the point when I need to be. ;) It's not personal.
Fair enough, sometimes bluntness is called for! Especially around here, with some of these people it's like arguing or explaining something to a brick.
Ok. Thanks. Option 2 sounds good.
Obviously I haven't gotten to it yet, and for that I apologize. Hopefully I can knock out an outline soon.

Last edited:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Personally, I think its best to have what's working and not above the download, so then people can't say they didn't see it before downloading.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The structure of this ROM Work-In-Progress Topic is incredible! If Epic devs and chefs were as careful about formatting their OPs and providing information as the OP of the linked Topic below, I would imagine it would cut down on the unnecessary posts, wasted time, headaches, etc. associated with supporting the userbase and fans of said devs' respective products. But then again, I'm probably giving the LooneyRats of XDA way too much credit! :D

Team Hacksung's ICS port for Galaxy S

P.S. Some of you might be interested in reading it more for the content than how pretty it is, hahaha! Very encouraging to hear that ICS for the SGS line is being worked on, even if it doesn't directly affect or help us much.

P.P.S. If any of you would like help or suggestions for clarifying your Topics I'd be glad to help. I'm kind of a communications nerd, so I geek out over making things as concise and informative as possible. (I'm probably a bit overbearing as a Squad Leader in BF3 as a result, TBH!)