AP FastBoot Flash mode (s) (Flash Failure

Search This thread

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
Hi ,

The other day I decided to fxz'ed my phone back to stock. Somewhere during the flash i seemed to have gotten a flash failure, but my phone rebooted and seemed to be fine, stock. I thought nothing of it.

I was out and about today without my car charger and my phone died. When I got home I plugged my phone into my wall charger and instead of the normal battery on my screen the phone booted to this :

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)
0A.61

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I cant seem to get to any other mode.
Im hoping i didnt brick my phone. Any Help Would be greatly appreciated .

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Power the phone off. The try to boot into the bootloader (press and hold Vol up / vol Down, then press and hold power until it comes on).

Select Normal boot - if it boots normally this may be something that you have to live with. Every time you turn the phone off and power it back on, you'll need to do this. If you remember to do it then you can bypass directly to the bootloader menu and select boot normally, and not have to see that stupid flash failure message.

My phone does this too. So does cellzealot's. We both tried to do different things in testing and both ended up with the same symptom.

I tried to FXZ back to pure stock to see if I could do it. I was already on 5.7.893, so that in effect may have b0rked the flash, and it sounds like you might have done the same thing.

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
Try reflashing using a desktop and the back usb ports

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

jeffreydavis

Mar 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Have also been running into the problem, but I've jerryrigged it to be able to charge the battery. Now I'm at the point where I can't find any method to fix my soft bricked bionic (ran into the problem rolling back to 5.5.893 from 5.7.893). Now I'm stuck on the AP Fastboot menu and can't get past loading the system.img whether that using the RSD Lite methor or the moto-fastboot method. One-click methods haven't worked either and I keep trying anything I can. Please help, I'm desperate right meow.

dragon droid

Oct 21, 2010
Go to link below. There find the fX files and download the one that will do a full phone format including webtop and bootloader. (Its marked complete)Then make sure all drivers are installed in windows and use RSD lite to flash. It will take over half an hour to flash. Had same problem and it fixed it. The key is the file you use to flash the phone. Needs to be the full file. Rom/Webtop/Bootloader

Here is the link. And be sure you download the complete one and not minimal. Do not uncompress the archive either. Use rsd lite and the file in its entirety. Let rsd do any uncompressing needed
http://briefmobile.com/droid-bionic-receives-fastboot-recovery-files

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eye__dea

Feb 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Go to link below. There find the fX files and download the one that will do a full phone format including webtop and bootloader. (Its marked complete)Then make sure all drivers are installed in windows and use RSD lite to flash. It will take over half an hour to flash. Had same problem and it fixed it. The key is the file you use to flash the phone. Needs to be the full file. Rom/Webtop/Bootloader

Here is the link. And be sure you download the complete one and not minimal. Do not uncompress the archive either. Use rsd lite and the file in its entirety. Let rsd do any uncompressing needed
http://briefmobile.com/droid-bionic-receives-fastboot-recovery-files

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you don't have to go through all of this...
But whatever works, I guess.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Those are old files. You don't want to use those files anymore and depending on the current state of your phone they won't work anyway.

You need to use RSD Lite 5.5 and the new full .902 XML.zip and it will restore your phone.
The latest driver version is also now 5.5 but the 5.4 drivers should work fine for Bionic.

All of the old tools and methods are no longer current and using the new file either complete with RSD Lite or flashing specific partition images with fastboot, if you know what needs to be fixed, is the way to restore your phone.

All of these methods will require a sufficiently charged battery to succeed or a factory flash cable that bypasses the battery altogether, as well as a PC with at least 4gb of RAM in order to manage the large image files. The time is dependent on you PC specs.

delisawzrv

Mar 12, 2012
I have the same problem too
g.gif

Last edited:

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If your battery is low or dead then you have several options, two of them "free" and several requiring a purchase.

First, find someone with a Bionic that will let you charge your battery in their phone.

Second, cut a charger cable or USB cable and hot wire the stripped ends to the battery terminals in the phone to charge it enough to recover the phone. This is dangerous and not recommended but it will work and can be managed on your own if you have a spare cable.

Third, buy an spare battery which will likely come with enough charge to get through a flash cycle.

Fourth, buy an external battery charger and use it to charge your battery completely and then restore your phone.

Fifth, buy a Motorola Factory flash cable or make one yourself if your are skilled with a micro soldering iron and motivated. This type of cable has a different pin out and has the +5v on pin 1 which bypasses the battery and powers the device directly even without a battery inserted at all.
This is a permanent solution and such a cable can be used to restore any Motorola device and many others that are configured in the same way.

There is only one place to get one publicly, and I should disclose that I am directly involved with that place. We sell these cables and had them produced for us to our specification just for this purpose.

http://shop.teamblackhat.info

equitube

Feb 27, 2014
OnaHill
I know this post is old, but I've recently rebuilt a Droid. Turns out they CAN charge.

Pull the battery, and hold down one of the keys while replacing battery and connecting to power.

The droid will show the power off charging battery icon then and it charges fine.
Check Youtube, there are several videos.

Imagine the thousands of Droid owners who unnecessarily purchased charging cords, ex

DakidMelo

Aug 19, 2018
Please my Motorola Droid is stuck on the logo eye and when I try to flash it with the stock ROM, it says "failed" with the tool
Please I need help