[UNBRICK] HTC Unbricking Project

Search This thread

dexter93

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
I think I bricked gsm. Tried to s son with writesecureflag command and now womt turn on, charge or boot. It is recognized in windows as that quallcom dload driver thing. Downloaded recommended linux distro but at step one of instructions all I get is bricked device is on. There is no sound when connecting phone in linux.

Can anyone help me I think this is my only option and htc wont repair.

thanks you so much
remember to disable automount. instructions here http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/disableenable-auto-mount-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat/

hammoliam

Dec 8, 2010
Hull
Yeah I did that but no change. Thought I was missing something but have gone through instructions and thread over and over but still cant figure out what I am doing wrong :-s

thanks though for the reply

hammoliam

Dec 8, 2010
Hull

Im going to be bald soon, practically ripping my hair out. automount disabled unity non existent, dont get sdX after brick detect and all I get when running the
sudo ./emmc_recover --backup b_hboot.img --device /dev/sdX12 is waiting device
and when i try hexdump command i just get new terminal window saying end.

talk about patience lol.

any ideas or pointers

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
Im going to be bald soon, practically ripping my hair out. automount disabled unity non existent, dont get sdX after brick detect and all I get when running the
sudo ./emmc_recover --backup b_hboot.img --device /dev/sdX12 is waiting device
and when i try hexdump command i just get new terminal window saying end.

talk about patience lol.

any ideas or pointers

If you are still having issues come on irc ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
I'am a the same point. it does not show the sdX of the first step. IRC is nice, but not usefull for other users...

Can you help me ?
if you dont get the
Code:
 sdX
line, then that means that something isnt good. Usually its the automount and/or Unity interfering. Thats why we recommend using the live cd provided( which doesnt have Unity, but note that automount still needs to be disabled). Also usb3 ports and usb hubs are causing issues. If you are still having issues, try with another cable and another usb port. If it still persists then post here detailed info about your condition( and make sure you include how you bricked it step by step ;) )

good luck

kitarolivier

Aug 8, 2003
Brussel, Belgium
Thank you for your answer.

As I'm not a unix user, I followed your link for the livecd, and booted the computer with this one. I also disabled the automount (unchecked 2 options, and checked a third one) as described in a link found somewhere in the thread.

I connected the device without battery/sdcard/sim card, directly on the computer (without hub) that has standard usb2 ports (not usb3).

The only thing I'm not sure is the unity, but I suppose the given link in the first post is the good version.

now I'm letting it charge for the night on a wall charger, because I've seen somewhere that if sdX does not appear, it can be because the device is not bricked but battery low (I starterd the update at 87% battery), and someone succeeded this way, also bricked with the 'fastboot oem write... 3' command.

Also, please note that I'm using the GSM version, NOT the CDMA.

Thank you for reading and helping.

Last edited:

Dakargr

Jun 24, 2011
Edessa
dexter93 you saved my phone brother!!! tell me where you live at i am going to buy you drinks till you are drunk! :D! thank you thank you!!!

sahanok

Aug 4, 2009
Жодино
Big human thank you!
Для русскоязычных добавлю свои наблюдения.Обязательно сделать вот это сразу после загрузки Ubuntu "Unity and automount are known to cause issues. We recommend getting rid of both" .В 41 посте ссылка на инструкцию.Я пока дошел до этого потратил полночи .
В п.9 hexdump методом тыка нашел картинку как в инструкции все-таки - не силен в нем.
С ноутбука долго мучался и уже отчаялся - waiting device и висит.
Подключил к другому компу и все сработало мгновенно!
Так,что работает эта штука!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
УРА!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my experience.
Without fall do here is this right after loading Ubuntu "Unity and automount are known to cause issues. We recommend getting rid of both" .В 41 posts reference to instruction.I while has understood before this has spent the midnight.
In p.9 hexdump has accidentally found the picture as in instructions even so - not strong in him.
With portable computer long tried and already despaired - "waiting device" and hungs.
Has Connected to the other desk and all have operated instant!
So that works this piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excuse me for my english!

Last edited:

kurok154

Sep 18, 2009
Pechora
I tried to find my sdX, but terminal shows only smth like:
"bricked phone is on
you should use emmc_...."((
anybody knows what to do with this?

Last edited:

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
I tried to find my sdX, but terminal shows only smth like:
"bricked phone is on
you should use emmc_...."((
anybody knows what to do with this?
on 90% of the times, the issue is automount. If you are having still trouble, after trying this , try to use this liveCD, try different ports and different usb cables. Also make sure that there is nothing else connected to the pc.

enrique001

Aug 13, 2008
well I tell you that I'm stuck Download the program gives me the end of the link in the ubuntun, decompressed it in the beginning, disarmament will remove all the phone memory and other things, connect to the PC where I do not say anything if you connected or not while in windows to connect QHSUSB_DLOAD I get after I write this in the terminal. / brickdetect.sh but I get nothing fails maybe something I have to install something before the truth or not and I manage very well with linux is something I never utilize. maybe a more detailed explanation would help me more or maybe some video if any.

dexter93

Jul 1, 2010
well I tell you that I'm stuck Download the program gives me the end of the link in the ubuntun, decompressed it in the beginning, disarmament will remove all the phone memory and other things, connect to the PC where I do not say anything if you connected or not while in windows to connect QHSUSB_DLOAD I get after I write this in the terminal. / brickdetect.sh but I get nothing fails maybe something I have to install something before the truth or not and I manage very well with linux is something I never utilize. maybe a more detailed explanation would help me more or maybe some video if any.
how did you brick it?

can i use this method while i am s-off. i just bricked my device after installing new kernel

do you have access to hboot?

Reactions: zoukos12

enrique001

Aug 13, 2008
well I tell you that when I put the. / brickdetect.sh I get this:
Searching for bricked device ...
The bricked device is on
Use the Above node to Perform Operations emmc_recover using the tool
put it after I realized I had not connected the phone and then connect it follows me out the same ...
that's what I'm doing wrong or what I have to do?

zoukos12

Oct 30, 2007
larisa
i get the same message
Searching for bricked device ...
The bricked device is on
Use the Above node to Perform Operations emmc_recover using the tool
any suggestions

enrique001

Aug 13, 2008
I did not probe anything because the strange thing is that for more than the phone is not connected anyway, I say the same for that reason try anything and preferred not to ask those who know more

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are proud to announce that the Evo 3D is now UNbrickable. Users with the QHSUSB_DLOAD issue can now fully recover their phones and get them fully functional.

Unbrick-proj-EVO.jpg

Note: This will fix only devices which were bricked by turning S ON. And bricks caused by a damaged hboot via interrupted OTA update/RUU flash on a S-ON device. Any devices bricked with other ways are currently *not* supported. We are working on it

The "core" of the unbricking project dev team:
    MOVZX
    RussianBear
    Fuses
    Dexter93

Testing stuff and irc support:
    globatron
    Deceptivechaos
    dburgd84
    Snake_skw

Other stuff:
    dmcb123
    xIndirect
    Hawke84

Thanks to trevE, xHausx and the rest of the evo3d team that gave us the basic info to work on and made us curious to see if we could get something out of it. Also thanks to ief and his team @revolutionary for helping us understand the bootloaders better. We should also not forget to thank cxb01 of malshenzu.com and xda members arthurire and untrueparadox who helped in translation.
    Prerequisites
    • a linux box/live cd with automount disabled and without unity
    • the appropriate package for the device
    • the latest RUU for your device
    • a device bricked by writing security flag 3 with an unsigned hboot, or caused by a damaged hboot via interrupted OTA update/RUU flash on a S-ON device
    • a usb cable
    • some basic linux experience
    • patience

DISCLAIMER: We do NOT guarantee that this method will work for you, or that it is flawless. We are also not responsible if your phone is completely dead after the procedure, or your house burns down because your phone exploded. You are doing this in YOUR OWN RISK.

Instructions

NEW: Detailed video on the process. Its displaying the process on a Sensation, but its pretty much the same thing. Thanks to kgs1992 :)

1. Boot the linux box and download the appropriate package for the device.
      WARNING: IT IS DEVICE SPECIFIC. DO NOT USE THE GSM VERSION ON A CDMA EVO AND VICE VERSA. SAME GOES FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS
    2. Extract the package in the home directory
    3. Open up a terminal
    4. Remove SIM, microSD card and battery and connect the device using the USB cable. This procedure must be done without battery
    5. Detect the device using the script provided. Type this in the terminal
      Code:
      ./brickdetect.sh
      You should get something like sdX. We are interested on that "X"
    6. Unplug the usb cable from the device
    7. Backup the hboot currently in the phone by using this command. Plug the device in ONLY when asked to
      Code:
      sudo ./emmc_recover --backup b_hboot.img --device /dev/sdX12
      Replace the "X" with the letter the script gave you
    8. Follow the on-screen instructions from emmc_recover
    9. Hexdump the b_hboot to check the hboot version
      Code:
      hexdump -C b_hboot.img |less
      The output should be like this:
      Code:
      00000000  05 00 00 00 03 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 10 40  |...............@|
      00000010  d8 fc 0f 00 d8 fb 0f 00  d8 fb 1f 40 00 01 00 00  |...........@....|
      00000020  d8 fc 1f 40 00 00 00 00  12 00 00 ea 31 2e 34 39  |...@........1.49|
      00000030  2e 31 31 30 37 00 00 00  38 32 36 30 20 53 50 4c  |.1107...8260 SPL|
      00000040  00 00 00 00 00 f0 20 e3  53 48 49 50 00 00 00 00  |...... .SHIP....|
      00000050  00 f0 20 e3 00 f0 20 e3  48 42 4f 4f 54 2d 38 32  |.. ... .HBOOT-82|
      00000060  36 30 00 00 00 f0 20 e3  65 64 62 61 38 31 32 66  |60.... .edba812f|
      This is the typical hex of a hboot. We are interested to check if that is the hboot partition and if it is, to get to know the version. In this case it is 1.49
    10. If in the above step you failed to identify the hboot, unplug all devices connected to that pc, reboot and try again
    11. Unplug the device
    12. Check again it is the right version, because if you do a mistake here, you won't be able to go back
      You can only flash the same version as the one in the device.

!!!!!DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH ANOTHER VERSION OR DOWNGRADE!!!IT HAS BEEN PROVEN FATAL!!!!
    13. Flash the hboot on the device. Replace "V.VV" with hboot version (eg. 1.49) and "X" with the one you got from the detect script. Plug the device in ONLY when asked to
      Code:
      sudo ./emmc_recover --flash shotrUV.VV.nb0 --device /dev/sdX12 --backupafter hboot_f.nb0
    14. Follow the on-screen instructions from emmc_recover. A successful flash should have this output:
      Code:
      511+1 records in
      511+1 records out
      1047808 bytes(1.0 MB) copied
    15. Unplug the device, put SIM, microSD card and battery in and power on
    16. Congratulations, the device is unbricked.
    17. FLASH THE RUU IMMEDIATELY AFTER RECOVERING!! The device will be unstable after the recovery if you don't flash it.

Notes on the procedure:

• If the device doesn't power on, get a copy of the hboot_f.nb0 and b_hboot.img (should be located in the home directory) and contact us
    • The connection between the device and the pc will be unstable, and will time out. You have to be quick when doing the above, specially while flashing. If the connection times out don't panic, just unplug and replug the device
    • Unity and automount are known to cause issues in ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. We recommend getting rid of both, or use a 12.04, or 10.04/.10 liveCD
    • USB3 ports do not work properly. Please plug the device in a USB2 port
    • How to disable automount on ubuntu
      Code:
      gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false

Downloads

For EVO 3D GSM( ShooterU):
    32bit version MD5: 4fa6ddf99acc33f069e3192ee8417aa0
    64bit version MD5: 8acfdfc391de99e864bfd7e6ca34e9b3

Don't have a linux distro installed on your pc? We highly recommend this livecd
    downloads updated with fixed detection scripts. the output should be more clear now
    evo3d gsm

uloz.to/!ZzzYAUQ704DF/evo-3d-gsm-shooteru-1-53-zip
    Release bump!
    Everything you'll need is in the first page