Android 2.1 Confirmed

Search This thread

jporch316

May 26, 2007
Rogers are an American carrier I believe - they have the HTC Magic branded as Rogers - updates are only available through Rogers and not HTC

3mptiness

Feb 22, 2010
Just found this on the net. Don't know if it's legit, but it sounds as if the tattoo won't get the update:
"They confirmed that it will be available for the HTC Hero in March. Unfortunately, the Tattoo will be left out, simply because this new version rely heavily on multitouch, which is not possible on the Tattoo resistive screen."

Source:
dipnip. com/2010/02/mwc-2010-htc-desire-and-legend-overview/

can't post the link due to spam prevention.

atommat

Feb 22, 2010
from the HTC customer service team

ok, lets face it, the htc customer service team dont know ****, so i wasnt surprised when they told me that there are no plans at all to upgrade the tattoo beyond its current version.

Personally i find this totally bonkers. The tattoo was created to fill an enormous gap in the market. It is relatively cheap to make and so is attracting a huge number of 'upgrading' customers. once the numbers add up, the upgrade will follow for sure.

sit tight and get rooting. (which i found quite easy :cool:)

atom

moggyx

Dec 30, 2009
Upgrade confirmed....

I saw all the statements from HTC regarding the confirmation of the Hero upgrade, so i contacted HTC Support in Australia to ask what the situation is with the Tattoo. I got the following response:

Dear moggyx, Thank you for contacting HTC. We hope you are well! Regarding your inquiry, we understand that now that a phone running Android OS 2.1 is available that you are excited to get an update for your HTC Hero. We are still hard at work building Sense for this new version but we expect to have the upgrade finished and ready to go soon. Please understand that it takes time to customize any Android version to ensure you have the intuitive experience Sense provides, and we hope you can be patient for just a little while longer. What we can suggest for the meantime is to keep and eye on the website where we progressively update to inform our users of any promotion, development, and updates. You can also sign-up as an E-club member to receive information via email. We will get in touch with you as well once we receive any feedback from the main office regarding this. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-300-482-482. Our business hours are from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, Mondays to Saturdays, Australian Western Daylight Time. Please refer to case # xxxxxxx. Thank you and kind regards.

The astute amongst you will notice that the response is for the Hero, not the Tattoo that i asked about, so I replied asking for confirmation about the Tattoo and not the Hero. I recieved the following reply:

Dear moggyx, Thank you so much for the reply. We apologize for the confusion. Same statement shall apply with the HTC Tattoo. Should you have other concerns, please let us know your convenient time and contact number so we can give you a call. Have a great day!

Does this count as confirmation of 2.1? No timelines are stated, but it is confirmation from HTC themselves.

Last edited:

-bm-

Jun 12, 2005
Always remember: Installing an official 2.1 update from HTC means automatically and definitively to loose root on the tattoo. Our exploit we use so far will never work on newer android verions and maybe there never will be a working one. So if you want 2.1 AND root the only chance is a community-created ROM that delivers both.
But even if we are root now, we are not able to flash the tattoo because of additional security mechanisms. (more can be found in the developer subforum).

-bm-

lukic

Feb 25, 2010
Jagodina
www.twitter.com
He owns Modaco website I think. And he is really into Android, making custom roms, rooting and stuff like that. Latest thing he did was porting HTC Desire rom to Google Nexus One.

srkonus

Jan 27, 2010
Hi,

my english is not the best one. I understand the sentece so: where will be no Android 2.1 for the Tattoo - did i understand right?
But the smily says something different, or not?

kind regards

srkonus

lukic

Feb 25, 2010
Jagodina
www.twitter.com
Some people say that we will and some say that we won't.
As you could see at the beginning of this thread Tattoo was spotted few months ago running Android 2.1. But I saw this message on twitter today from what I believe is a reliable source saying that Tattoo update will not come.
I personally think that we will not get Android 2.1 on Tattoo.
Some say the reason for that is multi touch. Tattoo screen can't support it since it's resistive. And HTC has implemented multi touch to Sense UI.
But it such an important feature and it can probably be disabled on Tattoo or even better you could achieve some effect by using hardware buttons.
We will just have to wait until we get official statement from HTC.

thacen

Apr 9, 2008
I think official 2.1 is not important at all. Now we can rooted the Tattoo and our developers can do ways to ported any android on it.. that will be much better than the offical one.
I am still using HTC tornado besides Tattoo, officially tornado is loaded only WM5 std with lots of restrictions but our developers unlock it, then ported WM6, 6.1, 6.5 even Pro version. That was great..
Similar thing will happen on this tattoo too. I don't want official OSes with lots of restrictions. Now I am sure Android 2.1 for tattoo will be releasing in near future.. UNOFFICIALLY... and also that will be much better than the official thing.:rolleyes:

r75

Aug 10, 2007
Milan
I think official 2.1 is not important at all. Now we can rooted the Tattoo and our developers can do ways to ported any android on it.. that will be much better than the offical one.
I am still using HTC tornado besides Tattoo, officially tornado is loaded only WM5 std with lots of restrictions but our developers unlock it, then ported WM6, 6.1, 6.5 even Pro version. That was great..
Similar thing will happen on this tattoo too. I don't want official OSes with lots of restrictions. Now I am sure Android 2.1 for tattoo will be releasing in near future.. UNOFFICIALLY... and also that will be much better than the official thing.:rolleyes:

I'm with you man!!!
:D:D:D

segway_

Feb 20, 2010
Ioannina
Update - HTC Tattoo Wireless Software Update

Update - HTC Tattoo Wireless Software Update
我們將於 2 月 25 號開始提供HTC Tattoo兩個無線軟體更新,系統會陸續送出更新提示,當您收到系統提示只要點選立即下載即可經由3G/GPRS或無線網路的連線方式,完成您的手機系統更新。 February 25 we will start providing HTC Tattoo 2 wireless software updates, system updates had been shipped will be prompted, when you receive a system prompt you can just click the Download Now 3G/GPRS or wireless network via the connection method, Complete your phone system updates. (更新後請從功能表>設定>關於手機>版本號碼會更新成1.67.921.23及1.67.921.24即表示更新成功)主要更新功能如下: (Update after you from the menu "Settings" on mobile "version number will be updated as 1.67.921.23 and 1.67.921.24 mean that the update is successful) major update feature is as follows:

- 無線升級的客戶端程式更新 (第一版 1.67.921.23) - Wireless client update program updates (the first version 1.67.921.23)
- 優化韓國漫遊服務(第二版 1.67.921.24) - Optimization of Korea Roaming Service (Second Edition 1.67.921.24)

注意:安裝前請確定電話的電池電量至少有30% (至少3個綠色的方塊) 。 Note: Make sure the phone before installing the battery at least 30% (at least 3 green box).
若要檢查電池電量,請點選主畫面 To check the battery, please click on the main screen > " 功能表 Menu > " 設定 > 關於手機 Settings "on the phone > 狀態 > 電池計量 。 "Status" Battery Meter.
建議您可選擇在有免費的Wi-Fi環境下載更新(例如:住家及辦公室等) 。 Recommended that you choose to have free Wi-Fi environment, download the update (for example: home and office, etc.). 如您目前使用3G網路,下載可能須支付電信業者額外費用,請先確認已申租無限上網費率後再使用。 If you are currently using 3G networks, carriers may have to pay to download additional cost, please confirm Shen Rent unlimited Internet access rates before use. 如有疑問請致電HTC客服專線0800-088-858/行動電話請撥打(02) 8761-5959 。 If in doubt please contact the HTC Customer Service Hotline 0800-088-858 / mobile phone please call (02) 8761-5959. 關於自動線上更新 With regard to automatic online updates

from htc.com/tw/support.aspx

?