Capacitive buttons problem

Search This thread

Kromann2607

Feb 18, 2017
S3 mini i8190n Capacitive buttons FIX

Hello I had the same problem but now I have the fix it without problems :) this is because once you have flashed the recovery ROM for the phone. You forgot to remove the battery from the phone before trying to start the phone in recovery mode and this creates the problem of Capacitive buttons do not working.

The solution is to flash back to your backup or the stork ROM and launch the phone up and wait for 5 minutes, until the Capacitive buttons works again. then start it up in recovery mode and wipe the old system again and then install the new ROM again. Remember to wipe Dalvik cache and cache after installation and then just reboot it into the new system and then the Capacitive buttons should work again.

It worked for me so let me finally hear if it works for you too :)

FZG-87

Mar 19, 2018
I am also affected by the problem. Custom ROMs disable my capacitive buttons, stock works just fine.

The problem seems to be rather rare, as I barely found anything on the topic, so I am glad to have found this thread right here!

My question: Will the Kernel patch offered above work with versions newer than Novafusion CM 12.1? Or is somebody willing to develop a similar kernel patch that works for the newer versions of CM/Lineage? That would be awesome!

Model: GT-I8190
Baseband: I8190XXAMG4

I am also affected by the problem. Custom ROMs disable my capacitive buttons, stock works just fine.

The problem seems to be rather rare, as I barely found anything on the topic, so I am glad to have found this thread right here!

My question: Will the Kernel patch offered above work with versions newer than Novafusion CM 12.1? Or is somebody willing to develop a similar kernel patch that works for the newer versions of CM/Lineage? That would be awesome!

Model: GT-I8190
Baseband: I8190XXAMG4

Doesn't work, tried it on the 6.0.1 lineage by novafusion.

found temporary work around by activating the touch screen buttons using build.prop editor, but would really prefer the actual hardware buttons.

Open your build.prop using build.prop editor app (in /system)
press the pencil icon and then scroll down to the bottom
on a NEW line add qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
then press enter to add a new blank line at the end
Save & reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just found this thread. I posted a comment here in a different thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65031278&postcount=3630
    I more or less can repeat it here. In the past I had several working devices; now I got one of
    those with the buttons-problem; so I have several fully working and
    one with failing softkeys. Flashing original Samsung FW: Keys work.
    Flashing Cyanogenmod: keys don't work (repeatable).

Now looking for official Samsung Sources I found that there is another
    package "GT-I8190_EUR_JB_Opensource.zip" with an updated Firmware and
    modified kernel driver for the touch-chip. (!!)

drivers/input/keyboard/tc360-touchkey.c
    firmware/coreriver/tc360.fw.ihex

Looking at dmesg at the failing device shows that there is a communication problem between the
    chip and the controller:
    Code:
    <3>[ 98.615020] tc360 7-0020: failed to read fw ver (-6)
    <3>[ 98.615081] tc360 7-0020: fail to read fw ver (-6)
    <6>[ 98.615142] tc360 7-0020: retry read flash fw ver (4)
    <3>[ 98.616455] tc360 7-0020: failed to read fw ver (-6)
    <6>[ 98.616760] tc360_power: off (0)
    <6>[ 98.720275] tc360_power: on (0)
    There are several other indications after phone reboot in dmesg

looking into the source code and comparing the output it looks like that there is a
    communication issue with the chip when using the existing CM Nova kernel.

The idea was it may be due to a different (newer) firmware (ver. 0x19) compared to the 0x18 in CM kernel
    which does not match to the kernel code. The changes in the driver looks like changes in timing (counters) which could
    actually explain the behaviour I see.

I took the novafusion kernel from github and exchanged the two files from the newer Samsung source-package
    and created a kernel zip (with the help of the F-Kernel package).
    After flashing - the HW keys of the "bad device" do work now! :eek:

So the root cause obviously was a new Firmware already existing in the Coreriver TC360 IC which
    does not work with the older kernel versions (and thus with Novafusion Kernel.
    BTW: The same most likely holds for TWRP: On the bad device the HW keys also don't work in TWRP.

So basically the Sensors Firmware needs to match with the kernel.

Using the new kernel+firmware would upgrade the TC360 FW as well and, consequently may require an
    kernel update for TWRP also. This would have to be tested.
    I've built a small kernel-only install package which did the work on my phone.
    Maybe I can attach it here. But I don't know how to do this.
    Ok, let's deal with it.

I need your:
    - model (i8190/n/l)
    - country
    - baseband

Maybe we can figure on which phones problem exists and then eliminate them.
    Ok, probably I have found a way to handle with this issue, tomorrow we should resolve it.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I8190 przy użyciu Tapatalk 4
    Ok, let's deal with it.

I need your:
    - model (i8190/n/l)
    - country
    - baseband

Maybe we can figure on which phones problem exists and then eliminate them.

i8190
    GR
    I8190XXAMD3

also tried over I8190XXAMG4_I8190OXXAMH1
    it happened to me i thought it's a CWM bug, it's just a Samsung bug, reboot using the power button and it will make alright to work!

I rebooted a lot of times and waited and couple of minutes.. now i am back to stock
    i will test the latest updates of AOKP or CM and we will see!!