[Layout] "Hubs" With Video Tutorial

Search This thread

xdapadogx

Jul 18, 2011
Trying this on my nexus. Looks nice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

FusionAxis

Nov 27, 2012
Anyone here using Nova Launcher having issues with the wallpapers aligning if using more than 5 screens?

I'm finding that the second and 6th wall paper don't lock into place and show some of the wallpaper from the screen beside it. This only happens if using more than 5 screens and only with Nova, if using ADW its fine.

I'd like to use NovaLauncher due to some of its features not present in Nova but am reluctant to pay for the Prime version if it has this issue with multiple screens. I am using Nova in conjunction with MultiPicture Live Wallpaper and it is setup as per the tutorial video with seperate folders for each page theme's images.

Cheers Q

hey i had the same problem on my nexus 7. under the advanced settings of multi picture live wallpaper you'll find one that says work around for some home applications. i have seven screens so i use force to 7 screens setting and it has fixed the problem for me.

FusionAxis

Nov 27, 2012
My new hubs layout!

Heres my new hubs layout

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-53-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-53-55.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 537
  • Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-54-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-54-15.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 526
  • Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-54-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-54-30.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-55-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-55-53.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-56-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-25-06-56-06.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 443

GLO

Jul 23, 2007
Sydney
Hi,

Is there a way to have a hidden hub?

One that has a hidden link, but cant be seen when scrolling from left to right between the regular hubs?

I'm want to create a 'private' hub with banking apps, photos and other stuff.

I only just started using it today and I wanted to know if i can make a page hidden, so that it doesn't come up when scrolling left and right? I would access through a hidden link on the Home page.

ie

page 1 - page 2 - page 3 - page 4 -page 5 - page 6 - page 7
Home Social Music Media Books Games Private

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: delpiero223

thorin33

Apr 6, 2011
Has anyone done a hub layout in KatKiss 4.4.2? Did the upgrade from HC 3.2 with ADW EX "Hub" Layout and it does not function correctly in 4.4.2. If you have successfully created a hub in 4.4.x which launcher did you use?

TIA

FusionAxis

Nov 27, 2012
I have done hubs layouts on 4.4.4 with both nova prime and adw ex. Both see to work just fine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(Seeing as there's no General Thread for tablets, I've re posted this here.)
    Hey guys I finally ported my "hubs" set up to Android Tablets and I have to say its 10x smoother on our 1.0 ghz dual core device. The general idea of "Hubs" is to create a dedicated screen for each piece of media/productivity while providing a visual eye candy. "Hubs" is easy to emulate, and even easier to create your own style. Despite the lengthy tutorial, its actually easier than it seems. The fun part comes with setting up you layout!

What you'll need:
    Main
    Optional
    Video Tutorial
    Part I
    Part II
    FINAL

WALKTHROUGH​
    ADW Launcher Users[/U][/B]
    -To remove top bar-Press and hold and empty area on your home screen then click on "Launcher Actions" > "Hide/Show Action Bars"
    -Enable Widget Overlapping-"Menu"> "ADW Settings"> "UI Settings" > "Screen Preference"> Check "Overlap Widgets" in the Advanced Settings Tab
    -Increase Retail Space on your screen-"Menu"> "ADW Settings"> "UI Settings" > "Screen Preference"> Increase the desktop "Rows" and "Columns" in the "Desktop Layout" Tab.

Launcher Pro Plus Users- while not optimized for 3.2, it still runs perfect.
    -Increase Retail Space on your screen-"Menu"> "Preference" > "Homescreen Settings" > Increase the "Number of columns/rows" in the Homescreen Grid.
    -Remove Icons From Right Dock- Hold your finger on the icon you wish to remove> "change shortcut"> "Blank"

*You may add screen transitions for each launcher if you wish, however my advise is to leave it at default as you can set transition for Multi Live wallpaper. Doing both launcher and MLW will make your screen look "too busy" IMO.

To set the "Bars" (Titles for "Home", "Music", "Movies" etc.)
    Minimalistic Text
    -To set title- Press and hold a free space on the screen > "widgets" > "Minimalistic Text" (size may vary per style however I use either 4x2 or 6x1 as long as its horizontal > ensure that "background color" is checked > "Predefined Layout" > "Custom" > "Custom Layout" > Click on the plus sign > "Misc" > "Static Text".
    -Black Bar Tutorial click here

Wallpapers
    -Set up - Load up your wallpapers on your sd card/internal memory and placing them into seperate folders and name them based on the images (ex. Music, Movies, Games etc)
    - Long press an empty screen on your homescreen > "Wallpapers" > "Live Wallpapers"> "MultiPicture Live Wallpaper"> "Settings"
    - For each "Screen _ Settings" Select the picture source as "Picture Folder" and navigate it to point to your corresponding homescreen.
    - Additionally you make select the screen transition here that reflects your particular taste. You may also set a default wallpaper for your lockscreen.

Despite the dozen of widget on the homescreen and live wallpaper, battery use is minimal.I have provided wallpapers below to help you get started.

NAVIGATING BETWEEN HUBS

There are two methods in which you can navigate to each individual homescreen.

Method one
    : Prior/Alternate way for navigation text was achieved using this methodby trekkie0927. Using invisible icons in tandem with minimalistic text can make it easier to flip to each hubs. Please rate/comment his video.

Method two: I found a great alternative to Minimalistic Text in terms of using the text buttons to jump from one screen to another called Simple Text. Since it's only an icon and not a widget, it consumes no memory and provides a great minimal look.

p20110912230552.png

User AcIdC0R3 has posted a great tutorial. (Please thank him!)​

• Make sure you have ADWLauncher EX
    • Go to the market and install Simple Text
    • Long press on the screen and select 'Custom Shortcut'
    • 'Pick your activity', select 'Launcher Actions'
    • Choose which screen you want, 1 - 5 or 1 - 7 if your using seven screens
    • Click on the picture of the 2 screens side by side
    • Select 'ADWTheme IconPacks' and select 'Simple Text'
    • Select the grey box named 'Simple'
    • replace the word 'Simple' with whatever of your choosing like 'Video' for your video hub or 'Social' for your social media hub and so forth
    • Adjust your text size, Y and X coordinates, your shadow settings etc.
    • Click the little blue 'A' in the top right side of the screen and select your font (more on fonts further down)
    • You also have the option to select the color wheel next to the 'A' and adjust your text color
    • Select the menu icon on the task bar at the bottom and select 'Save Style' if you want to keep what you created for later use as well.
    • Click 'Save Icon' which will create your icon for you
    • Back at the black edit screen remove the text from the text field and click OK
    You should now have a custom text icon that will activate whichever screen you chose for it. You can click any app icon on your screen and follow the same procedure for your apps so all your apps also have text icons.

[FONTS] In a file manager go to /sdcard/Simple Text/ and create a folder named 'fonts' (that is plural with an 's' at the end). Next go to somewhere like dafont.com and download you some kewl fonts and place them within that 'fonts' directory you just created. Now when you go into Simple Text to do your editing you will have more fonts to choose from.

That's all there is to it.

P20110920154653.png

P20110920154602.png

You can also work with layers within the creation of your Simple Text. Notice below where I created a new layer, rotated my new text layer and intersected where both words have the letter 'E'.

P20110920165536.png

P20110920165654.png

However you may notice that simple text does have it's limitations:
    • Icons can only be 1x1
    • Works best on adw
    • No way to resize; it is only an icon after all.

p20110917181350.png

p20110917181146.png

p20110917181252.png

Miscellaneous
    ISSUE: You may experience widget being placed "behind" the black bars. If so try this method provided by user SwiftLegend
    1. Put the widgets/icons you want on TOP of the blackbar FIRST. You need these before anything.
    2. Select a Minimalistic Text Widget, I usually use 1x1. Clear out the text options (Predefined layout > Custom, delete all of the things there)
    3. Once you're back at your homescreen and see the MT Widget, just long press and re size it to your liking.
    You HAVE to make sure that whatever you want on TOP of the blackbar is put on the screen FIRST. Anything put on after will go underneath.

ISSUE 2: Users have reported that Minimalistic Widget refuses to post/ show up on the homescreen.
    1. Turn your tablet into portrait mode.
    2. Add the widget whilst staying in portrait mode as you apply you designs.
    3. Rotate back to landscape.

ISSUE 3: You can no longer take full advantage of the screen real estate using adw ex (particularly the corners)
    1. Recent update kills the use of every inch of the screen. In his attempt to emulate ICS, anderwebs made the edges of the screen inaccessible.
    2. Revert back to an older version (1.3.3)

here's the original layout from the nook color if you guys are interested on putting this on your homescreen HERE

and here it is in action HEREhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8DxCVzARfE&fmt=38

Other Users take on "Hubs":

vrundmc​

attachment.php

attachment.php

"Hubs Remix by CinderWild "

and lastly hubs for different devices! Make sure you check each thread as people have different ideas that works on all devices. Wished Xda had a tablet general forums.

special thanks to AhmazinSKM
    special thanks to 00McD00 for the banner
    sepcial thanks to AcIdC0R3
    NEW & EASY ALTERNATIVE to Minimalistic Text

An alternative to Minimalistic Text is an app called Simple Text.

• Make sure you have ADWLauncher EX
    • Go to the market and install Simple Text
    • Long press on the screen and select 'Custom Shortcut'
    • 'Pick your activity', select 'Launcher Actions'
    • Choose which screen you want, 1 - 5 or 1 - 7 if your using seven screens
    • Click on the picture of the 2 screens side by side
    • Select 'ADWTheme IconPacks' and select 'Simple Text'
    • Select the grey box named 'Simple'
    • replace the word 'Simple' with whatever of your choosing like 'Video' for your video hub or 'Social' for your social media hub and so forth
    • Adjust your text size, Y and X coordinates, your shadow settings etc.
    • Click the little blue 'A' in the top right side of the screen and select your font (more on fonts further down)
    • You also have the option to select the color wheel next to the 'A' and adjust your text color
    • Select the menu icon on the task bar at the bottom and select 'Save Style' if you want to keep what you created for later use as well.
    • Click 'Save Icon' which will create your icon for you
    • Back at the black edit screen remove the text from the text field and click OK
    You should now have a custom text icon that will activate whichever screen you chose for it. You can click any app icon on your screen and follow the same procedure for your apps so all your apps also have text icons.

[FONTS] In a file manager go to /sdcard/Simple Text/ and create a folder named 'fonts' (that is plural with an 's' at the end). Next go to somewhere like dafont.com and download you some kewl fonts and place them within that 'fonts' directory you just created. Now when you go into Simple Text to do your editing you will have more fonts to choose from.

That's all there is to it.

P20110920154653.png

P20110920154602.png

You can also work with layers within the creation of your Simple Text. Notice below where I created a new layer, rotated my new text layer and intersected where both words have the letter 'E'.

P20110920165536.png

P20110920165654.png

For those with Launcher Pro maybe someone else can elaborate on how to do this as I don't have Launcher Pro so I don't know.
    *fliparsenal, you can take this and post it in your OP if you want.

Cheers...
    Thanks a ton for including my app in the first post :) Your layout looks great!! :)
    Thanks for the link to the cubed icons. What battery widget is that you are using? Also, what weather widget is that that is giving the 5-day forecast?

Dual Battery Widget and Beautiful Widgets '4 x 1' using the 'ANDRODeNa_Weather Skin'
    Hi I'm new to this whole transformer thing but after reading your thread it has inspired me my transformer is bog standard at the moment time for change. I followed your instructions above downloaded adwlauncher ex and I'm up to setting the black title bars however in landscape mode I can't get it positioned like everyone else has done basically there is a gap on mine have increased rows and columns not made any difference can you help please
    ADWSettings > UI settings > Main dock > click it off. Your homescreen should shift over a column, or the column on the farthest left should free up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App