[Q] "Unable to connect" using ADB -- so no sideloading

Search This thread

mbwd

Feb 6, 2014
My Amazon Fire TV seems to work fine. I can access the ADB Debugging option via: System>Developer>Options>Debugging. I can select "ON," and it changes to a blue highlight.

I also know the IP Address both via the Fire TV and via my router (running Tomato), where I assigned a static IP address to the Fire TV. I've tried to acces it via terminal both on my Android phone and on my Linux machine (with ADB installed).

But when I do the sequence outlined here:

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect <ipaddress>​

I get this error: "unable to connect to <ipaddress>"

Anyone have any idea why? The Fire TV is connected via wifi, but I'm not sure why that would matter.

I've seen a number of random posts around the web with the same question, but no solution. So help is definitely needed!

Last edited:

byrdcfmma

Sep 26, 2012
Central FL
My Amazon Fire TV seems to work fine. I can access the ADB Debugging option via: System>Developer>Options>Debugging. I can select "ON," and it changes to a blue highlight.

I also know the IP Address both via the Fire TV and via my router (running Tomato), where I assigned a static IP address to the Fire TV. I've tried to acces it via terminal both on my Android phone and on my Linux machine (with ADB installed).

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect <ipaddress>​

Anyone have any idea why? The Fire TV is connected via wifi, but I'm not sure why that would matter.

I've seen a number of random posts around the web with the same question, but no solution. So help is definitely needed!

Few suggestions. First, it could be an issue with your router, firewall, wifi, etc. Also, make sure your computer or android device is using the same router when you try to connect. I have two in my house, and almost went crazy when I could not connect to the 3rd FTV I tried to program until I realized my phone was on the other one.

These devices are easy to sideload, so IMO it is probably your router and id check that first. If you have another router, id try that too. Wired up on ethernet.

Reactions: mbwd

shanecrow99

May 16, 2010
Have you tried pinging the FTV from your PC to make sure your PC can actually "see" the FTV on your network?

mbwd

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks everyone! Byrdcfmma was right: It appears that not only must the FireTV be on the same network, but also on the same exact router. I have multiple routers on the same network, and it would only work if I am on the same exact router.

I solved this by ensuring my android device was on the WiFi network of the router that I then connected, via ethernet, to the FireTV.

Few suggestions. First, it could be an issue with your router, firewall, wifi, etc. Also, make sure your computer or android device is using the same router when you try to connect. I have two in my house, and almost went crazy when I could not connect to the 3rd FTV I tried to program until I realized my phone was on the other one.

These devices are easy to sideload, so IMO it is probably your router and id check that first. If you have another router, id try that too. Wired up on ethernet.

MLGAC123

Oct 9, 2015
"adb stopped"

I am new to fire sticks, Kodi and ADB and am having trouble connecting to my stick using ADB fire. I have installed everything as per all the you tube videos and online guides tell me and can connect to my fire stick using cmd prompts (which it tells me is successful). Yet when i open up ADB Fire, i have added my stick and the correct ip address but it say "ADB Stopped" in the bottom right hand corner. In all the guides ive seen it always says connecting and i cant find a solution (5 hours in and counting!!). I am using an EE fibre router and need some help pls. I cannot find a site anywhere online that covers this and i know its something super simple i am missing! Below is the log:

adbFire 1.31
Windows
------------
getting database record
SELECT Id FROM device WHERE description="Fire TV Stick Lounge"
SELECT daddr FROM device WHERE description="Fire TV Stick Lounge"
start-server failed!
"./adb.exe" start-server

starting server
connect

connection attempt
"./adb.exe" connect 192.168.1.112:5555

process time duration: 0 seconds
connect

connection attempt
"./adb.exe" connect 192.168.1.112:5555

process time duration: 0 seconds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    adb connect <ipaddress>​