[FAQ] GT540 Reference Thread | How-to's | Data2System method by Anton_ch ADDED!

Search This thread

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011

~ FAQ | LG GT540 REFERENCE THREAD ~

.::
http://mygt540.com ::.
mygt540.png

~ o ~

LG GT540 is equipped with 512Mb ROM (flash memory).
It is divided into sections:
* Boot (boot partition | 5 MB) - contains the kernel of linux system and the ram-disk image
* System (system partition | 245 MB) - contains built-in Android applications
* User (userdata partition | 138 MB) - contains custom applications / settings
* Cache (cache partition | 64 MB) - unnecesary files you need to clean often

~ o ~

START | NEWBIE

RESTORATION | ADVANCED

TECHNICAL TRICKS

~ Please user DO NOT POST IN HERE, LET'S KEEP THE THREAD CLEAN, PM me if you have a question or something to say. Thanks! ~

thanksbutton.PNG
are Welcomed!!! :D:D:D

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT on Ubuntu 11.04

TUTORIAL #1

THANKS TO bloodychaos FROM XDA

I've been searching around the forums,the stickies and Google on how to install ADB in Ubuntu from scratch but I wasn't able to get a guide anywhere. What I found mostly are for Windows or little bits and pieces of info which did not cover the whole thing. Which is when I decided to grab some Tab and Mountain Dew, and Google my way through to make it work and share it to those who had trouble or no idea how to install it on Ubuntu.

When I'm writing this, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 64bit to install and run everything. There was mentions of using Eclipse SDK while searching around, but I won't be touching on that. There's another guide for it at the end of my guide. I have yet to encounter any problems while using ADB in 64bit environment. I've tested it out on the 32bit platform as well and it works. It'll also work on SD and NAND versions of Android for the HD2, since it's my main phone. Also, this is my first time making a guide, so bear with me if there's any mistakes. I've checked the article a few times hoping that it's clear and easy to understand.

Step 1. Install JDK

You'll need to install JDK for ADB to work. If you have already installed JDK, I recommend reinstalling it again, just in case there are new updates or you have the older version.

Open Terminal and enter the following command(s), then enter your ubuntu login password followed by ‘y’ when prompted for yes/no.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
Step 2. Download and Install Android SDK

Download the Android SDK. Obviously, choose the one for linux (android-sdk_r10-linux_86.tgz)

Code:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Extract the android-sdk-linux_x86 folder from android-sdk_r10-linux_x86.tgz and put folder to your desired location. I recommend to put in home/username/ | When using the terminal the same path is described as ~/

Step 3. Choose packages to install

First of all go to ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools/
Right clic to android >> Properties >> Permissions
Make sure "allow executing file as a program" it's checked

file-permissions.png

In Terminal, type the following
Code:
$ cd ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools

$ ./android update sdk
The 'Android SDK and AVD Manager' window will appear (screencap below). If you are not a developer then just accept the first option to install and the rest reject. Once installation is finished, it will prompt you to restart the manager. Just click 'Yes' and close the manager

SDK.png

succesfull.png

Step 4. Check your device's permission

Now head over to the platform-tools directory

Code:
$ cd ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools
Check if you have permission for your device

Code:
$ ./adb devices
If you're getting the following, go on to Step 5.

Code:
List of devices attached
????????????    no permissions
If you're getting something like this or other random numbers with the word device next to it, congrats! You now could use ADB. Now go on to Step 7.

Code:
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF    device
Step 5. Giving permission to your device

You'll need to create a certain udev rule. First off type the following in Terminal:

Code:
$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
Once the gedit window pops-up, type the following line

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"
Here's a list of each vendor's ID. Source: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

Save the file and exit out of gedit. Back in Terminal execute the following

Code:
$ sudo chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules
$ sudo restart udev
$ sudo adb kill-server
Then unplug your phone and plug it again
Now to check if it works

Code:
$ ./adb devices
You should be getting the following line or something similar:

Code:
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF    device
Congrats! Now you can use ADB in Ubuntu! Now hop on to Step 6!

Step 6. Create path for ADB and Fastboot

NOTE: while using adb in Linux, you'll need to type ./adb to execute adb unless you create a path in ~/.bashrc.
Code:
$ sudo gedit ~/.bashrc
Add the following line at the very end of the file. Once you're done, save and exit.

Code:
# Android tools
export PATH=${PATH}:$HOME"/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools"
export PATH=${PATH}:$HOME"/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools"
Then in a Terminal run this command to reload your .bashrc:
Code:
source ~/.bashrc
Now you can just run adb without put ./ before every command.

Step 7. Set up FASTBOOT

Download Fastboot file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?uc8zvuoklr8qlmk

Move it to ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/tools/ folder
Right clic to Fastboot >> Properties >> Permissions
Make sure "allow executing file as a program" it's checked

Reboot in fastboot mode (bootloader), then plug your phone with USB cable to a computer
Open a terminal and type:

Code:
$ sudo -s
# fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot
NOTE: you must login as root to fastboot to work. If you get an error issuing the last command then most likely something went wrong while creating a path for fastboot in ~/.bashrc, then you should try with ./ statement before the command like this:

Code:
# ./fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot

* For more in-depth guide, try HowtoForge. Just found this guide today and I find it VERY useful and even have a good guide on Eclipse.

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT on Windows | Flash Android ROMs 2.1/2.2/2.3

TUTORIAL #2

HELLO I SEE THERE IS QUITE OF PEOPLE (NEWBIES) THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WHILE FLASHING, MOST OF THE TIMES FROM STOCK 1.6 TO 2.1, SO I WANTED TO SHARE THIS TUTORIAL I MADE AND WOULD LIKE TO ALL OF YOU CONTRIBUTE IN SOMETHING MISSING OR NEW THINGS FOR THIS TUTO AND MAKE IT THE UPDATED AND BEST TUTO FOR DUMMIES OUT THERE ;). NO OFFENSE :D. JUST THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE NOT FAMILIARIZED WITH THIS KIND OF STUFFS.

THANKS TO CHKRLY FROM TARINGA! FOR THE BASIS OF THIS TUTORIAL, i added and quit some parts, translated and attached files...

WARNING: Any of these methods can brick your phone, im not responsible if that happens. READ ALL THE TUTORIAL FIRST. If your phone gets unresponsive DO NOT PANIC! we are here for HELP!

FIRST PART
(Flash from 1.6 to 2.1 with fastboot)

In this part we are going to flash an european ROM that comes with fastboot with the purpose of flash other ROMs that needs fastboot later...

1. Create a folder, download the KDZ Updater , the European ROM and the drivers for our LG GT540 and unzip them all in the same folder.
Install KDZ
attachment.php
tuto.PNG

Deactivate your FIREWALL and Antivirus if necessary

Install drivers:

UPDATE:
Thanks to eoghan2t7 you can install LG GT540 drivers all in one:
METHOD1: NEW
LGGT540 ALL IN ONE DRIVER PACK.exe
(32 bits users only)

METHOD2: OLD
Or install the drivers in the old normal way (32 & 64 bits users)
1.PNG

WINDOWS7 users: Right clic>> Run as administrator.
Also is very important you install the drivers inside the LG_SmartPhone folder:
2.PNG

2. On to the phone go to: SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS >> DEVELOPMENT and activate the mode USB debugging , also check out this:
SETTINGS >> SD CARD AND PHONE MEMORY >> EXTERNAL ONLY MEMORY (not SECRET_, remove if), then plug you phone to the computer

3. Close all applications you do not need on the computer and run the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Windows 7 users: right clic>>start as Administrator)

4. Once in the program select from the TYPE list the 3GQTC option and then clic in the folder icon and select the European ROM(KDZ file) from the folder where you unziped, then press the button Launch Software Update

NOTE: It is important mention that while in the process dot not interrupt the program, unplug the phone or shutdown the computer

*If it stops in any of the processes and doesn't finish (processes doesn't get stuck for long), then unplug your phone, close the program, open it again plug your phone, and run it again.
*If that doesn't help eather, remove the battery, close the program, plug your phone to the computer, start the program and run the process again.
NOTE: various problems in the following procedure to update can occur if non of the above tips helped then try this:
Go to Device Manager in your computer>> right click on the LG Modem Android>> DISABLE / Modem>> LGE Virtual Modem>> DISABLE and then try FLASHING AGAIN

THE WHOLE PROCESS SHOULD TAKE 10 MINUTES

Once the program has loaded the ROM to the phone it will appear a leyend FINISHED, after that the phone will reboot and boot android 2.1 with fastboot.

SECOND PART
(Flash from stock 2.1+fastboot to custom 2.1/2.2/2.3...)

1. Download the following files:

- Google SDK tools, unzip and put the folder in C:\ drive

- Drivers for your computer recognize the phone in fastboot mode. Unzip and put the files inside the folder in C:\android-sdk (take a look of the 3th image)

INSTALL WITH YOUR PHONE PLUGGED:
tutorial1.png

tutorial2.PNG

tutorial3.PNG

tutorial4.PNG

... then next and it will install the drivers.

- Clockwork recovery (latest version) and place it in C:\android-sdk

- Download the ROM you want to flash for FASTBOOT NOT RECOVERY, UNZIP and place the .IMG FILES in C:\android-sdk

NOTE: It is RECOMMENDED that from stock 2.1 you flash to 2.2 and then to 2.3 and so on, this means not go directly to 2.3.3 as may cause your phone do not boot properly and also not login to recovery. This is not confirmed but some users have experienced this kinds of issues.

2. Shutdown your phone and Start it in fastboot mode (CAMERA+POWER BUTTON) hold the camera for 1 sec then add the power button ;). Wait few second you will see LG's logo then the screen will turn dark, CLEAN DARK SCREEN, just in that moment you are in FASTBOOT mode.

3. Flash rom by FASTBOOT mode:

Plug your phone to the computer and open a CMD terminal and type:

Code:
cd C:\android-sdk
4. Once inside the folder type ONE by ONE:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_clockwork_3.0.2.4_swift.img
fastboot -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot
THAT MY FRIEND IS A CLEAN INSTALL...

5. Once is rebooting fast login to recovery pressing POWER+HOME. Inside recovery select wipe data/factoryreset for reset the phone. Then select reboot, and that's it YOUR DONE!

NOTE: If you are flashing any ROM with data2system method then DO NOT WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET, just reboot.

6. Set your phone as you like install all your apps and once you done reboot into recovery and go to backup & restore>> backup for create a backup of your entire phone.

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Use ADB tool | Android Debug Bridge

TUTORIAL #3

You can find the adb tool in C:\<sdk>\platform-tools\ or C:\<sdk>\
*All the examples refers to /data/app path you can change to /system/app or any other path you need

Open a CMD terminal on Windows:
Start>>run>> type cmd>> click ok (WinXP)
Start>> in search box type cmd>> right click Run as Administrator (Win7)

Once opened type:

Code:
cd C:\<sdk>\platform-tools
adb devices
adb remount (from r/o to r/w)
-----------------------------------------------------
adb shell mount /system (if you only want to mount system)
adb shell mount /data (if you only want to mount data)
attachment.php

adb1.PNG

Installing an Aplication .apk

Put the .apk file into C:\<sdk>\platform-tools\ folder and type

Code:
adb install [B]appname[/B].apk
attachment.php

adbinstall.PNG

Uninstalling an Aplication

There is an uninstall adb commans that always shows failure!!!
So we are going to use Adb Shell:

Code:
adb shell
# cd data/app
# ls
# rm -r appname.apk
# ls
Ctrl+c to exit shell mode
You will not find this application, you just removed it!

attachment.php
adbuninstall.PNG

Push & Pull commands

Pull:

Code:
adb pull /data/app/appname.apk
attachment.php

adbpull.PNG

If you want to PULL all the files located in a folder then:

Code:
adb pull /data/app test
to pull all the .apk's located /data/app and save them into a folder that it will create in C:\Android-SDK\platform-tools named test

attachment.php
adbpullmany.PNG

Push:

Code:
adb push appname.apk /data/app
If you want to PUSH all the files located in a folder then:

Code:
adb push test /data/app
to push all the .apk's located in C:\Android-SDK\platform-tools\test folder to /data/app

attachment.php
adbpushgeneral.PNG

Close ADB

Code:
adb kill-server
exit

Last edited:
Reactions: piratezao

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[How-to] Replace Files | Set permissions

TUTORIAL #4

When you need or would like to add or replace a file to our phone we need to set permissions.
In this tutorial we are going to use Root Explorer for this purpose, because is the "standar" file manager that comes with custom roms lately.

Apart of this, if you are having issues with applications for incorrect permissions then you might FIX permissions using ROM MANAGER application not RECOVERY (not recommended)

REPLACING A FILE:
in this example we are going to replace our old Music.apk for the newest Music.apk...
*Applies for replace any file

Before: After:
attachment.php
attachment.php
capture_4.png
new%20music.png

1. Backup your old Music.apk then uninstall it (I can do both with RootAppRemover.apk or Titanium Backup)
1. Plug your phone, mount your sdcard then download Music.zip
to your desktop
2. Put the Music.apk and libjumper.so into /sdcard/newmusic folder
3. Close the windows, unmount your sdcard, unplug your phone then go open Root Explorer application
4. Go to sdcard/newmusic/ >> press menu button >> Multi-select >> select Music.apk >> press copy button
5. Press back button and go to system/app/ >> press Mount R/W >> press Paste button

attachment.php
ro-oldpermissions.png

6. Look for the Music.apk you just pasted and press on it until a window pops up:

attachment.php
reoptions.png

7. Select Permissions and change them to rw-r--r--

attachment.php
music-oldpermissions.png
TO
music-newpermissions.png

It should look like this:
attachment.php
rw-newpermissions.png

9. Repeat process from step 4-to-7 to replace libjumper.so but to /system/lib/ path

THANKS ARE WELCOMED!!!

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[TUTORIAL] Self-Assembly of Android OS Firmware

TUTORIAL #5

* This tutorial was created for me after read from many sites and figure it out by myself and the result is a 100% fully working step by step tutorial. :D

* First of all you need to have installed Ubuntu then Follow this: [How-to] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT in Ubuntu 10.10

* Once everything is set and working download IMG_tools.zip then unzip in home/username/IMG_tools/

* When i mention ~/ means home/username/ but shorty
tongue.gif

Proceed...

Extract boot. img

-To extract boot.img use extract_boot from ~/IMG_tools/boot
- Put boot.img file inside ~/IMG_tools/boot/ folder
- Open a terminal and type:
Code:
$ cd ~/IMG_tools/boot
$ ./extract_boot boot.img
- if you want to extract boot.img in another folder, for ex. in ~/ROM/ then the command is
Code:
$ ./extract_boot ~/ROM/boot.img
- You will get something like this
Page size: 2048 (0x00000800)
Kernel size: 2664916 (0x0028a9d4)
Ramdisk size: 966,485 (0x000ebf55)
Second size: 0 (0x00000000)
Board name:
Command line: mem = 214M console = tty0, 115200n8 androidboot.hardware = swift uart.mode = arm11_uart_disable crash = off
Writing boot.img-kernel ... complete.
Writing boot.img-ramdisk.gz ... complete.
3210 block

Rebuild boot.img

-To rebuild boot.img use make_boot from ~/IMG_tools/boot
- Double click make_boot>> show

make_boot.png

Compare info after cmdline with Command Line after extracted boot.img, if its different then modify the file.

- Once verified info type:
Code:
$ ./make_boot boot.img
- You will now see a boot-new.img file ready for flash

Extract system. img

-To extract system.img use unyaffs from ~/IMG_tools/system
- Put system.img and unyaffs file inside ~/IMG_tools/system/system folder
- Open the terminal and type:
Code:
$ cd ~/IMG_tools/system/system
$ ./unyaffs system.img
- Then cut system.img and unyaffs file and put them back to ~/IMG_tools/system

Rebuild system. img

-To Rebuild system.img use mkfs.yaffs2 from ~/IMG_tools/system
- Do not move mkfs.yaffs2 file
Code:
$ ./mkfs.yaffs2 system system.img

Rebuild system. img [update.zip]
* works to sign .apk too
- If you have based your work on RUU file, you’ll have to create META-INF folder with the correct information and update scripts inside. If you have unpacked someone’s .zip, the META-INF folder should be already present. Update script might mention some files in the update, so if you have removed (or added new) files, the update script should be amended to reflect those changes. Please, get a few images from different developers and try to understand the correct internal structure.

Once you have something like this:

packsystemzip.png

- Open the terminal and go where your <workdir> content is: META-INF, system, boot.img then type
Code:
$ zip -r9 update.zip *

-r9 tells the program to collect files recursively and use the maximum compression. If you omit “r”, the subfolders will not be included (bad, bad idea!), if you omit “9″ nothing bad will happens, but resulting file might be about 1% larger.

- Now to sign the zip file put sign folder and androsign file from ~/IMG_tools/sign/ to ~/*SDK/tools
- Go back to the terminal and type
Code:
androsign /<workdir>/update.zip
sign.png

Odex Files

- What are those Odex files? Answer
- How to get rid of them?
Odex files depend on framework they are made for. To deodex an odex file use that how to
Then you may create a classes.dex file by executing the smali program on the "out" folder. You then rename it to classes.dex and add it to the .apk.
- How to create them?
Use dexopt-wrapper on device.
For deodex ODEX files, use this howto
Then you can create classes.dex file by running smali from your "out". Then rename it to classes.dex and add it to apk.

Porting another's devices ROM

Well, this part is simple smile_good.gif
- Extract system.img
- Extract boot.img
- Replace boot.img-kernel of the original Roma HTC Hero.
- Rebuild boot.img
- Collect update.zip (see how it's done in any Custom rum for Hero)
- Sign and flash.

Device should start, and even be able to call, but probably will not work WiFi, BT, trackball.

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Fix MD5 mismatch | Nandroid restore

TUTORIAL #6

THANKS TO
ihtfp69 FROM XDA!

To fix this is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them.

Code:
Checking MD5 sums... 
MD5 mismatch!
- Plug your phone to the computer
- Open a Terminal and type:
Code:
adb devices
adb shell 
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53 
# rm nandroid.md5 
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
# exit
* Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

- Re-run the restore and everything should be fine.

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Install LG IME Full

TUTORIAL #7

- Dowload LG_IME_data2system and unzip in desktop
- Open System folder and copy the 3 folders: app, lib2 and usr folders to C:\*SDK\platform-tools\
- Open a CMD terminal and type:
Code:
cd C:\*SDK\platform-tools
adb devices
adb remount
adb push app /system/app
adb push lib2 /system/lib
adb push usr /system/usr
adb kill-server
exit
- Unplug your phone
- Go to ROM Manager application and run Fix Permissions (DO NOT avoid this step, so you dont get FC's)

DONE!

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Use Fastboot tool | Bootloader

- What is fastboot?

Fastboot tool is a program used to update the flash partitions in Android devices from a host (PC) over USB.
It allows you to perform flashing images (*.img) files to your device.

- How do i get in Fastboot mode?

You can boot in Fastboot mode in two ways:

1. For 2.2 / 2.3 Android ROM:
Hold the power button until a window pops up | Select reboot >> bootloader >> OK

2. For any Android ROM

Shutdown the phone >> hold CAMERA + POWER buttons

- How do i know im in Fastboot mode?

After you press the combo buttons and the phone starts you be able to see the LG logo and just after that the screen will clean and turn dark-blue, nothing else. If that happens congratulations! you are in Fastboot mode.
NOTE: it has been told that in some firmwares the fastboot mode screen turns out blank. If you experience that dont panic! you might want to try another firmware with the normal fastboot mode.

- Usage of the Fastboot commands

NOTE: to start using Fastboot is assuming you already have installed SDK with all the tools

1. You need to place the *.img files you are going to flash into
C:\*SDK\tools\ (Windows)
Home/username/*SDK/tools (Linux)
2. Plug your phone with a USB cable to your computer

3. Open a Terminal (Windows|Linux) and issue the following commands:
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
------------------------------------
fastboot flash recovery recovery_clockwork_x.x.x.x_swift.img
fastboot -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot
* fastboot erase recovery | use when reinstalling clockwork recovery
* fastboot -w | is for wipe data/cache and make a factory reset

Reactions: Ilko

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Fix Russian Profile | Swiftdroid

THANKS TO tejasdj12 FOR THIS FIX

There are 2 ways to Fix Russian Profile:

METHOD #1:

Copy the profiles.xml file to /data/system folder. Reboot.

* If the first method did not work then you have a second method

METHOD #2:

1. Open Root Explorer or any other file manager
2. Find /system/build.prop file and edit these sections:
Code:
'ro.product.locale.language=ru' to 'ro.product.locale.language=en'   
'ro.product.locale.region=RU' to 'ro.product.locale.region=US
3. Save the File
4. Reboot into recovery and wipe user data/factory reset. Reboot.

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Change default fonts | Custom ROMs

THANKS TO sonnysekhon FROM XDA!

Tested on CM7 ROMs | PM me if it works with/without CM6

METHOD #1:
[Install zip from recovery]

Download the Font you like from here:

1500j.png

2. Mount your phone and put the .zip into SDcard/

3. Unplug your phone and reboot it into recovery.

4. After that, go to “install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from sdcard >> select your copied zip file”

5. After it installs it, select “reboot system now”

METHOD #2: [Using ADB tools | Data2System by Anton_ch users]

1. Download the Font you like from here:
2. Unzip the folder to your desktop. You will see 2 folders:

• META-INF
  • System
3. Open System folder and copy fonts folder to C:\*SDK\platform-tools\
4. Plug your phone to the computer
5. Open a CMD terminal and type:

Code:
cd C:\*SDK\platform-tools
 adb devices
 adb remount
 adb push fonts /system/fonts
 adb kill-server
 exit
6. Unplug your phone. Reboot

DONE!

* If you want to go back to
default-fonts, download and repeat steps 2-6 from METHOD #2

Last edited:
Reactions: dil2011 and Ilko

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[FAQ] My Phone is bricked !!! | GUIDE

THANKS TO ilovelg FROM MODACO!

So you failed to read the TUTORIAL and bricked your phone while trying to flash GT540, here is what you should try to do:

[HOW-TO] Repair your device if you see only LG logo | Nothing else happens when you boot your device

• Make sure you use USB ports that are in back of youre PC, dont use front ones.
  • Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.
  • Try to reflash your phone again, in the normal way.

[HOW-TO] Repair your device if it feels like dead | When you click power button nothing happens (Note that this may or may not work)
  • Make sure you use USB ports that are in back of youre PC, dont use front ones.
  • Disable LGE Virtual Modem. In your Windows operating system, go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Right click on LGE Virtual Modem and click Disable.
  • Try to boot your phone into Emergency/Download mode (VOL DOWN + POWER).
    • If the phone booted into Emergency/Download mode, launch KDZ Updater.
    • In TYPE dropdown menu, choose EMERGENCY.
    • Load KDZ(ROM) and flash your phone.
  • If the phone failed to boot into Emergency/Download mode (VOL DOWN + POWER), launch KDZ Updater.
    • In TYPE dropdown menu, choose CS_EMERGENCY.
    • Load KDZ(ROM) and flash your phone.

THANKS TO fishears
FROM XDA!

[HOW-TO]
Repair your device if you don't see LG logo, boot animation | Recovery doesn't show up

• Download the French v20A and the out.kdz
  • Take out your battery, SIM and SD card
  • Plug USB into PC (but not phone yet)
  • Hold (VOL DOWN) button and plug USB into phone | *Phone goes into Download Mode
  • Run KDZ Updater
    • In TYPE dropdown menu, choose CS_Emergency mode
    • Load French V20A ROM and flash it
  • When it's finished pull out USB again and hold (VOL DOWN) and reinsert USB to put phone back in Download Mode
  • Launch KDZ Updater (still in CS_Emergency mode)
    • Load out.kdz and flash it
You should now have your boot animations back and you can flash whatever ROM you want to use.

LAST RESOURCE:
If the phone still doesn't work, take your phone to local LG Warranty service or your Operator where you got the phone. Tell them that after you turned the phone off, it doesn't seem to turn back on again!

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Change default low system sounds | Sound Scheme

THANKS TO miroslav_mm & Glay-z FROM 4PDA!

Introduction:

Sources were taken from the phones Nokia, Sony Ericsson, iPhone, HTC and others converted to a good quality and matched to the "my taste, for a full sound experience through our LG GT540 speaker!
No pop, rock and techno is not here!

Also, as a bonus, was changed bootanimation(CyanogenMod 7.0) and tuned the system started for 2.1 ROMs!

- Requires ROOT
- Require recovery v3.0.2.4 +
- The installation is via recovery: Update.zip
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Data2System by Anton_ch users cannot install zip from sdcard, instead replace with Root Explorer or push files with adb tool. Please take a look in the Thread to see how-to do it.
The path is:
Code:
/system/media/audio/alarms
/system/media/audio/notifications
/system/media/audio/ringtones
* In almost all the versions i've made there is not need to do this as i've already done it, only the clean versions users might use it!

Sound Scheme for LG GT540 v1.0 by miroslav_mm

* Works on firmware version 2.1 (A, B, D, Quarx) | 2.2.1 (only partially replaces the tunes as there are more than 2.1)

Were replaced by all the usual sounds of SMS, alarm clock, income calls!

update.zip (16.69MB)

Sound Scheme for LG GT540 v2.0 by Glay-z

* Works on firmware version 2.3.2 | 2.3.3 | 2.3.4

Were replaced by all the usual sounds of SMS, alarm clock, income calls, all the keys and the camera!

update3.zip (15.18MB)

Sound Scheme for LG GT540 v3.0 by Glay-z

* Works on firmware version 2.3.2 | 2.3.3 | 2.3.4

Unlike version 2.0 it does not replace the key sound but instead installed a new font

update5.zip (33.03MB)

Sound Scheme for LG GT540 v4.0 by Glay-z

* Works on firmware version 2.1 | 2.3.2 (ignore the bootanimation) | 2.3.3 | 2.3.4

Were replaced all the system sounds and added CM7 bootanimation as a bonus

update10.zip (45.34MB)

Last edited:
Reactions: scribbclubber

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[TUTORIAL] Data2System method by Anton_ch | Custom ROM's

PREREQUISITES:

* Have Ubuntu in your PC by: Live CD, installing with Wubi, installing with a Virtual Machine or if you want to give it a long try installing directly to your PC.
* Set up Ubuntu with Android-SDK tools: [How-to] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT in Ubuntu 10.10
* Once everything is set and working download IMG_tools.zip then unzip in home/username/IMG_tools/
* FLASH THE ROM/FIRMWARE YOU WANT TO MODIFY WITH THIS METHOD

INSTRUCTIONS:

FIRST PART

[Rebuild the kernel with a modified init.rc]

SECOND PART

[Flash new kernel, fit system in /data, modifications]

1. Go in recovery > mounts&storage and mount / system and / data

2. Open a terminal and type:

$ cd ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools
$ adb shell
First make sure that operation is possible:
# df
Will be a similar conclusion:
# Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
# Tmpfs 85908 0 85908 0% / dev
# / Dev/block/mtdblock1 65536 1160 64376 2% / cache
# / Dev/block/mtdblock4 250880 122344 128536 49% / system
# / Dev/block/mtdblock6 141 824 1156 140 668 1% / data
Size used in the /system 122,344 KB
Total size in /data partition 141824 KB

3. Hence system will fit in /data (estimate with a margin of 3-4 MB just in case)
As 122344 is < than 141824 = IT FITS! / Until 138 MB size in /system is safe to go

If it does not fit - clean /system from unnecessary:

# cd /system/app
# ls
# rm example.apk

If it fits, has more free space and you want to install apps:

# exit
Install applications of interest, here are some how-to's:
<< You can fill the partition until you get 138MB to be safe >>
[HOW-TO] Install LG IME Full
[HOW-TO] Change default fonts | Custom ROMs
[HOW-TO] Replace Files | Set permissions
[HOW-TO] Change default low system sounds | Sound Scheme
$ adb push ...

If it fits but you don't want any modification in it, then we proceed...

# exit

4. Put boot-new.img into ~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools/ folder and type:

$ adb push boot-new.img /data/
$ adb shell
# flash_image boot /data/boot-new.img
Now go to the directory /data and clean it
# cd /data
# rm -r *
On the lost + found - do not pay attention, everything is OK
Go to /system and copy all to /data

# cd /system
# cp -a * /data/
Process is not fast ... wait
Now clear the /system

# rm -r *

5. In the recovery unmount /system and /data

6. You can immediately make a backup of what happened.

Last edited:

chaudha4@hotmail.com

Feb 28, 2011
I am on switdroid M5. I tried method 1 above for two different fonts and both failed with similar messages.:confused:

E:Error in /sdcard/Font_stock.zip (status 0)
Installation aborted.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I am on switdroid M5. I tried method 1 above for two different fonts and both failed with similar messages.:confused:

E:Error in /sdcard/Font_stock.zip (status 0)
Installation aborted.

Maybe because you have the latest recovery installed and its not compatible with that script, but try second method works for everybody anyways

EDIT: Please DO NOT POST IN HERE, LET'S KEEP THE THREAD CLEAN, PM me if you have a question or something to say.

Veronica

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
[HOW-TO] Create a EXT4 & SWAP partition on Windows / Linux

Thanks to pyroblazer from XDA!

*** PRINT THIS HOW-TO ***​

WINDOWS

What is needed:

* gParted / Ubuntu Live CD image
* Blank CD-R / WUBI for Ubuntu
* Software to burn a .iso image
* USB cable / card reader

1) Download the stable version of gparted Live CD (.iso) from here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php (133.6 MB)

Or download Ubuntu (.iso) Live CD, which is always good to have:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download (685,29 MB)

If you already have an Ubuntu image good for you :D!

2) Once downloaded Burn it using your favorite burning software (i use Ultra ISO), it will burn as bootable by default.
If you don't have a blank CD-R and want to give ubuntu a try you can install it with WUBI on windows as any other program.

3) Restart your computer and enter to the BIOS (usually by pressing F2/del) ,in boot menu change the boot order to bring your CD drive on the top and then exit saving changes with F10

4) Once your computer restarts, it will boot from the CD and you will see some weird lines on ur screen, the you'll come to a page where u have 4 options, select the 1st one.

5) Once started it will ask you for preferred language, select ur language by typing the numbers given and hit enter, after that it will again give u 3 options PRESS 0 AND HIT ENTER
-----U Will get a blurred screen now bt dont worry -------

6) Now u should have booted into gparted, wait for a dialog to open, then you would be able to see your computer's hardisks

7) Plug your phone to the pc & Turn on USB storage / put your sdcard inside a card reader and connect it to the pc

8) On the right-hand side top corner you can select to see ur SD card (dropdown list of all the storage devices connected to the PC)

9) After selecting the SD card you will see ur SD card in the main screen(along with the partitions, if any)

10) Right Click on you FAT32 SD card partition and then click Resize partition

11) A box will appear to resize the space for a new partition. Choose the size you want to make it (Just think about the size of EXT4 partition + 32 MB [recommendable] SWAP you want to give in the 'Free space following box'. Leave it as PRIMARY and then clik add.

12) Now you'll see 2 partitions, one FAT32 and the other one is unallocated, right click on the unallocated one and click new then type 32 in the free space following box, make sure its also on PRIMARY in the create as box, and then u can select any file system you want (EXT2,3,4) then click add

13) Now only 32 MB will be shown as unallocated. Right click on that and click new, don't change anything, except the file system box, select it as linux SWAP, then click add

14) Now click apply. Congratulations!!!!!!! You are done with the partitioning of your SD card!!!!
On the top left of your screen u can see an icon named as exit/turn off, click on it and then select reboot and click ok... ur pc will restart and boot to windows....

UBUNTU
LINUX

What is needed:
* USB cable / card reader

The proceedment is almost the same as above, because gParted belongs to linux and Ubuntu already comes with gParted application so that means you are ready to go!

1) Plug your phone to the pc & Turn on USB storage / put your sdcard inside a card reader and connect it to the pc

2) Open Gparted > Right Click on you FAT32 SD card partition and then click Resize partition

3) A box will appear to resize the space for a new partition. Choose the size you want to make it (Just think about the size of EXT4 partition + 32 MB [recommendable] SWAP you want to give in the 'Free space following box'. Leave it as PRIMARY and then clik add.

4) Now you'll see 2 partitions, one FAT32 and the other one is unallocated, right click on the unallocated one and click new then type 32 in the free space following box, make sure its also on PRIMARY in the create as box, and then u can select any file system you want (EXT2,3,4) then click add

5) Now only 32 MB will be shown as unallocated. Right click on that and click new, don't change anything, except the file system box, select it as linux SWAP, then click add

6) Now click apply. Congratulations!!!!!!! You are done with the partitioning of your SD card!!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~ FAQ | LG GT540 REFERENCE THREAD ~

.::
    http://mygt540.com ::.
    mygt540.png

~ o ~

LG GT540 is equipped with 512Mb ROM (flash memory).
    It is divided into sections:
    * Boot (boot partition | 5 MB) - contains the kernel of linux system and the ram-disk image
    * System (system partition | 245 MB) - contains built-in Android applications
    * User (userdata partition | 138 MB) - contains custom applications / settings
    * Cache (cache partition | 64 MB) - unnecesary files you need to clean often

~ o ~

START | NEWBIE

RESTORATION | ADVANCED

TECHNICAL TRICKS

~ Please user DO NOT POST IN HERE, LET'S KEEP THE THREAD CLEAN, PM me if you have a question or something to say. Thanks! ~

thanksbutton.PNG
    are Welcomed!!! :D:D:D
    [HOW-TO] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT on Windows | Flash Android ROMs 2.1/2.2/2.3

TUTORIAL #2

HELLO I SEE THERE IS QUITE OF PEOPLE (NEWBIES) THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WHILE FLASHING, MOST OF THE TIMES FROM STOCK 1.6 TO 2.1, SO I WANTED TO SHARE THIS TUTORIAL I MADE AND WOULD LIKE TO ALL OF YOU CONTRIBUTE IN SOMETHING MISSING OR NEW THINGS FOR THIS TUTO AND MAKE IT THE UPDATED AND BEST TUTO FOR DUMMIES OUT THERE ;). NO OFFENSE :D. JUST THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE NOT FAMILIARIZED WITH THIS KIND OF STUFFS.

THANKS TO CHKRLY FROM TARINGA! FOR THE BASIS OF THIS TUTORIAL, i added and quit some parts, translated and attached files...

WARNING: Any of these methods can brick your phone, im not responsible if that happens. READ ALL THE TUTORIAL FIRST. If your phone gets unresponsive DO NOT PANIC! we are here for HELP!

FIRST PART
    (Flash from 1.6 to 2.1 with fastboot)

In this part we are going to flash an european ROM that comes with fastboot with the purpose of flash other ROMs that needs fastboot later...

1. Create a folder, download the KDZ Updater , the European ROM and the drivers for our LG GT540 and unzip them all in the same folder.
    Install KDZ
    attachment.php
    tuto.PNG

Deactivate your FIREWALL and Antivirus if necessary

Install drivers:

UPDATE:
    Thanks to eoghan2t7 you can install LG GT540 drivers all in one:
    METHOD1: NEW
    LGGT540 ALL IN ONE DRIVER PACK.exe
    (32 bits users only)

METHOD2: OLD
    Or install the drivers in the old normal way (32 & 64 bits users)
    1.PNG

WINDOWS7 users: Right clic>> Run as administrator.
    Also is very important you install the drivers inside the LG_SmartPhone folder:
    2.PNG

2. On to the phone go to: SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS >> DEVELOPMENT and activate the mode USB debugging , also check out this:
    SETTINGS >> SD CARD AND PHONE MEMORY >> EXTERNAL ONLY MEMORY (not SECRET_, remove if), then plug you phone to the computer

3. Close all applications you do not need on the computer and run the KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Windows 7 users: right clic>>start as Administrator)

4. Once in the program select from the TYPE list the 3GQTC option and then clic in the folder icon and select the European ROM(KDZ file) from the folder where you unziped, then press the button Launch Software Update

NOTE: It is important mention that while in the process dot not interrupt the program, unplug the phone or shutdown the computer

*If it stops in any of the processes and doesn't finish (processes doesn't get stuck for long), then unplug your phone, close the program, open it again plug your phone, and run it again.
    *If that doesn't help eather, remove the battery, close the program, plug your phone to the computer, start the program and run the process again.
    NOTE: various problems in the following procedure to update can occur if non of the above tips helped then try this:
    Go to Device Manager in your computer>> right click on the LG Modem Android>> DISABLE / Modem>> LGE Virtual Modem>> DISABLE and then try FLASHING AGAIN

THE WHOLE PROCESS SHOULD TAKE 10 MINUTES

Once the program has loaded the ROM to the phone it will appear a leyend FINISHED, after that the phone will reboot and boot android 2.1 with fastboot.

SECOND PART
    (Flash from stock 2.1+fastboot to custom 2.1/2.2/2.3...)

1. Download the following files:

- Google SDK tools, unzip and put the folder in C:\ drive

- Drivers for your computer recognize the phone in fastboot mode. Unzip and put the files inside the folder in C:\android-sdk (take a look of the 3th image)

INSTALL WITH YOUR PHONE PLUGGED:
    tutorial1.png

tutorial2.PNG

tutorial3.PNG

tutorial4.PNG

... then next and it will install the drivers.

- Clockwork recovery (latest version) and place it in C:\android-sdk

- Download the ROM you want to flash for FASTBOOT NOT RECOVERY, UNZIP and place the .IMG FILES in C:\android-sdk

NOTE: It is RECOMMENDED that from stock 2.1 you flash to 2.2 and then to 2.3 and so on, this means not go directly to 2.3.3 as may cause your phone do not boot properly and also not login to recovery. This is not confirmed but some users have experienced this kinds of issues.

2. Shutdown your phone and Start it in fastboot mode (CAMERA+POWER BUTTON) hold the camera for 1 sec then add the power button ;). Wait few second you will see LG's logo then the screen will turn dark, CLEAN DARK SCREEN, just in that moment you are in FASTBOOT mode.

3. Flash rom by FASTBOOT mode:

Plug your phone to the computer and open a CMD terminal and type:

Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk
    4. Once inside the folder type ONE by ONE:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_clockwork_3.0.2.4_swift.img
    fastboot -w
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot
    THAT MY FRIEND IS A CLEAN INSTALL...

5. Once is rebooting fast login to recovery pressing POWER+HOME. Inside recovery select wipe data/factoryreset for reset the phone. Then select reboot, and that's it YOUR DONE!

NOTE: If you are flashing any ROM with data2system method then DO NOT WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET, just reboot.

6. Set your phone as you like install all your apps and once you done reboot into recovery and go to backup & restore>> backup for create a backup of your entire phone.
    [How-to] Replace Files | Set permissions

TUTORIAL #4

When you need or would like to add or replace a file to our phone we need to set permissions.
    In this tutorial we are going to use Root Explorer for this purpose, because is the "standar" file manager that comes with custom roms lately.

Apart of this, if you are having issues with applications for incorrect permissions then you might FIX permissions using ROM MANAGER application not RECOVERY (not recommended)

REPLACING A FILE:
    in this example we are going to replace our old Music.apk for the newest Music.apk...
    *Applies for replace any file

Before: After:
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    capture_4.png
    new%20music.png

1. Backup your old Music.apk then uninstall it (I can do both with RootAppRemover.apk or Titanium Backup)
    1. Plug your phone, mount your sdcard then download Music.zip
    to your desktop
    2. Put the Music.apk and libjumper.so into /sdcard/newmusic folder
    3. Close the windows, unmount your sdcard, unplug your phone then go open Root Explorer application
    4. Go to sdcard/newmusic/ >> press menu button >> Multi-select >> select Music.apk >> press copy button
    5. Press back button and go to system/app/ >> press Mount R/W >> press Paste button

attachment.php
    ro-oldpermissions.png

6. Look for the Music.apk you just pasted and press on it until a window pops up:

attachment.php
    reoptions.png

7. Select Permissions and change them to rw-r--r--

attachment.php
    music-oldpermissions.png
    TO
    music-newpermissions.png

It should look like this:
    attachment.php
    rw-newpermissions.png

9. Repeat process from step 4-to-7 to replace libjumper.so but to /system/lib/ path

THANKS ARE WELCOMED!!!
    [HOW-TO] Fix MD5 mismatch | Nandroid restore

TUTORIAL #6

THANKS TO
    ihtfp69 FROM XDA!

To fix this is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them.

Code:
    Checking MD5 sums... 
    MD5 mismatch!
    - Open a Terminal and type:
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb shell 
    # cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53 
    # rm nandroid.md5 
    # md5sum *img > nandroid.md5
    # exit
    * Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

- Re-run the restore and everything should be fine.

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.
    [TUTORIAL] Self-Assembly of Android OS Firmware

TUTORIAL #5

* This tutorial was created for me after read from many sites and figure it out by myself and the result is a 100% fully working step by step tutorial. :D

* First of all you need to have installed Ubuntu then Follow this: [How-to] Set up SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT in Ubuntu 10.10

* When i mention ~/ means home/username/ but shorty
    tongue.gif

Proceed...

Extract boot. img

-To extract boot.img use extract_boot from ~/IMG_tools/boot
    - Put boot.img file inside ~/IMG_tools/boot/ folder
    - Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/IMG_tools/boot
    $ ./extract_boot boot.img
    - if you want to extract boot.img in another folder, for ex. in ~/ROM/ then the command is
    Code:
    $ ./extract_boot ~/ROM/boot.img
    - You will get something like this
    Page size: 2048 (0x00000800)
    Kernel size: 2664916 (0x0028a9d4)
    Ramdisk size: 966,485 (0x000ebf55)
    Second size: 0 (0x00000000)
    Board name:
    Command line: mem = 214M console = tty0, 115200n8 androidboot.hardware = swift uart.mode = arm11_uart_disable crash = off
    Writing boot.img-kernel ... complete.
    Writing boot.img-ramdisk.gz ... complete.
    3210 block

Rebuild boot.img

-To rebuild boot.img use make_boot from ~/IMG_tools/boot
    - Double click make_boot>> show

make_boot.png

Compare info after cmdline with Command Line after extracted boot.img, if its different then modify the file.

- Once verified info type:
    Code:
    $ ./make_boot boot.img
    - You will now see a boot-new.img file ready for flash

Extract system. img

-To extract system.img use unyaffs from ~/IMG_tools/system
    - Put system.img and unyaffs file inside ~/IMG_tools/system/system folder
    Code:
    $ cd ~/IMG_tools/system/system
    $ ./unyaffs system.img
    - Then cut system.img and unyaffs file and put them back to ~/IMG_tools/system

Rebuild system. img

-To Rebuild system.img use mkfs.yaffs2 from ~/IMG_tools/system
    - Do not move mkfs.yaffs2 file
    Code:
    $ ./mkfs.yaffs2 system system.img

Rebuild system. img [update.zip]
    * works to sign .apk too
    - If you have based your work on RUU file, you’ll have to create META-INF folder with the correct information and update scripts inside. If you have unpacked someone’s .zip, the META-INF folder should be already present. Update script might mention some files in the update, so if you have removed (or added new) files, the update script should be amended to reflect those changes. Please, get a few images from different developers and try to understand the correct internal structure.

Once you have something like this:

packsystemzip.png

- Open the terminal and go where your <workdir> content is: META-INF, system, boot.img then type
    Code:
    $ zip -r9 update.zip *

-r9 tells the program to collect files recursively and use the maximum compression. If you omit “r”, the subfolders will not be included (bad, bad idea!), if you omit “9″ nothing bad will happens, but resulting file might be about 1% larger.

- Now to sign the zip file put sign folder and androsign file from ~/IMG_tools/sign/ to ~/*SDK/tools
    - Go back to the terminal and type
    Code:
    androsign /<workdir>/update.zip
    sign.png

Odex Files

- What are those Odex files? Answer
    - How to get rid of them?
    Odex files depend on framework they are made for. To deodex an odex file use that how to
    Then you may create a classes.dex file by executing the smali program on the "out" folder. You then rename it to classes.dex and add it to the .apk.
    - How to create them?
    Use dexopt-wrapper on device.
    For deodex ODEX files, use this howto
    Then you can create classes.dex file by running smali from your "out". Then rename it to classes.dex and add it to apk.

Porting another's devices ROM

Well, this part is simple smile_good.gif
    - Extract system.img
    - Extract boot.img
    - Replace boot.img-kernel of the original Roma HTC Hero.
    - Rebuild boot.img
    - Collect update.zip (see how it's done in any Custom rum for Hero)
    - Sign and flash.

Device should start, and even be able to call, but probably will not work WiFi, BT, trackball.