[HOWTO] Flashing CWRecovery to i9000m & upgrade to ICS AOSP 4.x ROM from any version

Search This thread

Silentbob999

Apr 6, 2012
Montréal
Hi I'm trying to figure out how to update from a Bell I9000M I will be receiving from a friend tomorrow. It's got clockwork mod already installed and is already rooted. It's got a Darky's Fro-yo on it, but I would like to update it to ICS or Jelly Bean. I was reading this guide, and is it true that I can flash it using the regular I9000 custom ROMs? I heard this causes apps from Google Play to fail during installation, among other issues (wifi/network not working, Bluetooth not working)?

What is the best option for me, should leave it on Darky's Fro-yo, or can I update it to ICS or JB? Can anyone point me to a guide that's applicable to the I9000M from Bell?

Any help would be appreciated. I spent hours searching for guide to flash ICS or JB specifically onto the I9000M but had no luck.

I have an i9000m from virgin. You can use any i9000 rom. SlimICS, SlimBean, HellyBean, CM10... My girlfriend have it at the moment with a few weeks old hellybean. She can go over 200hours uptime before having to reboot to remove some memory leak, it's running pretty well.. Reading threads it look like they get less stable lately (all jellybean rom) but I think that this should not be a bummer.. Get Odin and driver on your pc, get Devil or Semaphore kernel in .tar version just in case of problem then you can try any rom you want. Read/search/ask questions on thread specific to the rom or kernel you want to trie. And enjoy one of the device that have the more mature development. Have fun

Envoyé depuis mon GT-S5830 avec Tapatalk

Reactions: jagsingh85

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
v Can anyone point me to a guide that's applicable to the I9000M from Bell?

look in My Android Collections for i9000m Upgrade ROM +root & CWM under rescue & Recovery and My Guides and Manuals for flashing using CWM

First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card, after flashing and reboot , insert them back

Tips before Flashing:-
Backup all your important files, contacts, SMS, game data, images etc to PC or Ext SD card. or make Nanadroid Backup If you have CWM
Backup your EFS Folder to PC or Ext SD card
Enable USB Debugging on Phone. Touch menu> Settings> Applications> Development>
Charge your battery to more than 50% before you attempt any sort of flashing.
Disable Samsung KIES when using Odin. Kill Kies.exe, KiesTrayAgent.exe, & KiesPDLR.exe using Task Manager on PC
Use only ROM and solution for your model and Wipe x3

Reactions: Silentbob999

jagsingh85

Nov 15, 2010
I have an i9000m from virgin. You can use any i9000 rom. SlimICS, SlimBean, HellyBean, CM10... My girlfriend have it at the moment with a few weeks old hellybean. She can go over 200hours uptime before having to reboot to remove some memory leak, it's running pretty well.. Reading threads it look like they get less stable lately (all jellybean rom) but I think that this should not be a bummer.. Get Odin and driver on your pc, get Devil or Semaphore kernel in .tar version just in case of problem then you can try any rom you want. Read/search/ask questions on thread specific to the rom or kernel you want to trie. And enjoy one of the device that have the more mature development. Have fun

Envoyé depuis mon GT-S5830 avec Tapatalk

Thank you for helping. I have decided to try SlimBean because I did some research and it seems to be most stable. Since it already has Darky's Rom with Clockwork installed and rooted, can I simply copy the slimbean zip file to the phone and boot into recovery mode and install it? How about the addons (AIO), will I have to boot into recovery mode again and install them after the slimbean rom has been installed, or do I install it another way? Also I'm told the modem on the phone is I9000UJL2, will this work or do I need to flash a new modem? I feel bad asking all these questions but it's been a few years since I've played around with flashing ROMs...

simke MD

Feb 7, 2012
confused

i have samsung : GT-I9000
firmware: 2.3.6
baseband version : I9000XXJW4
Kernel version : 2.635.7-I9000XWJW5-CL1045879dpi@DELL141 #2
Build number : GINGERBREAD.XWJW5

My question which CF-root i need and what else i need?
Please answer
Thanks

CatalystWon

Aug 20, 2010
Vancouver
First time i9000 Flasher:

First-time i9000M flashers:

Be advised, when you upgrade from Bell/Virgin stock UGKG3, your phone will no longer boot up as I9000M, but instead as I9000 (without the 'M'). And from then on you will be on an I9000. That is normal and no cause for alarm.

Enjoy!

klappy1

Jan 6, 2013
I am flashing my I9000 for the first time. so far unsuccessuful with CM7 and CM9 rom

I rooted it, and clockwork mod works fine. I do backup, factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe devlin and install CM7 or CM9 from SDcard.
It starts to flash till about 10%, then it stops (crashes) and tries to boot, but it cant. obviously it does not flash the rom entirely.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this.

Last edited:
I am flashing my I9000 for the first time. so far unsuccessuful with CM7 and CM9 rom

I rooted it, and clockwork mod works fine. I do backup, factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe devlin and install CM7 or CM9 from SDcard.
It starts to flash till about 10%, then it stops (crashes) and tries to boot, but it cant. obviously it does not flash the rom entirely.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this.

Automatically reboots from recovery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

klappy1

Jan 6, 2013
Automatically reboots from recovery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Yes. When I start flashing, it lasts for a few seconds only (i can see that it gets around 10% of instalation) and then screen turns black and i get Galaxy S Cyanogen mod on screen and it stays so for ever if I dont turn it off. So i flashed it back to stock rom and rooted again. same thing with CM7 and CM9 several times.

UPDATE:
I gave it one more try, looking at some videos. After first instalation when it should get to sistem recovery, for a second I can see android caracter lying on his back. Above it is red triangle with an exclamation mark inside. Then it switches back to Salaxy s screen.

Last edited:

johnsxf

Sep 16, 2010
Rooted but not unlocked?? please help!!

I have rooted my phone as with the first two procedures, but i have not manage to unlock it!! please help!!

I have a ginger bread 2.3.3 gt-i9000M

I have tried everything, it even bricked and i was able to unblock 12 hours later! I'm exhausted and need to phone to unlock.

Thanks!

Silentbob999

Apr 6, 2012
Montréal
Re: [HOWTO] Flashing CWRecovery to i9000m & upgrade to ICS AOSP 4.x ROM from any vers

I have rooted my phone as with the first two procedures, but i have not manage to unlock it!! please help!!

I have a ginger bread 2.3.3 gt-i9000M

I have tried everything, it even bricked and i was able to unblock 12 hours later! I'm exhausted and need to phone to unlock.

Thanks!

Search, it's easy to find.
That app work for me 6 months ago with the same phone as you. I had a custom Jellybeans rom at that time but if you are rooted it should work for you too ;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clarkehackworth.SamsungGalaxySUnlock

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] Flashing CWRecovery to i9000m & upgrade to ICS AOSP 4.x ROM from any version

Seems like there's little or no love for the i9000m here since I've left this section of the forum.
    I'm still getting a lot of PMs by members of this section.
    Apparently a lot of people had their questions gone unanswered, so here it is at last.
    If you have the i9000m or any of the i9000 variants that have the extra letter, all you need to do is flash a stock i9000 ROM with Odin ;)

...think about it, after all chances are if you want to install CWR, you'll be flashing Custom ROMs that are made for the i9000 :D

so, why do it the hard way when resources for specific models like i9000m or i9000b are so hard to come by, instead do it the easy way use the i9000 resources that are available everywhere ;)

Requirements:

ICS flavour to choose from:

Odin flash back to stock in case sheet! happens ;)

Flashing Root and CWR via Odin:
    • Boot into Download mode (3 buttons salute)
    • run Odin
      choose only these 3 parts
      PIT = 512
      PDA = CODE_I9000XXJVP_CL264642_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5
      CSC = GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVP.tar.md5
    • flash it (Start)
      note: you do not need to change your KG3 modem for Canada
      odinjvponlyflashpitpdac.png
    • wait for it to finish rebooting, and skip all those steps in the 1st time phone wizard
    • reboot back into download mode again
    • close your previous session of Odin
    • run a new session of Odin
    • select PDA
    • select CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVP-v3.7-CWM3RFS.tar
    • flash it (Start)
    • it will reboot again
    • Congratulation! if all went well you should see these in your App drawer screen
      sc20111206232806.png

sc20111206232732.png
      sc20111206232748.png
    • to make sure it actually works, go into CWManager, and select ClockworkMod
    • select reboot into recovery
    • if all goeswell you should be inside the orange ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5

Flashing ICS AOSP ROM

if you followed all the above to this point, might as well have fun and load ICS, but first...
    • in CWR make a Nandroid backup of your stock JVP with KG3 modem
    • in CWR select backup and restore
    • select backup in the sub menu, i'll take about a minute or two to complete
    • it will automatically go back to the main menu in CWR when it's done with the backup
    • select mounts and storage
    • select mount USB storage in the sub menu
    • now copy & paste the ICS ROM to your phone, and optionally the Google Apps, face unlock, etc
    • select unmount
    • select +++++Go Back+++++
    • select wipe data/factory reset
    • select wipe cache partition
    • select install zip from sdcard
    • select choose zip from sdcard
      in my case i installed these:
      - ICS_4.0.1_r1-Beta2-i9000.zip (AOSP) or teamhacksung_galaxysmtd-ota-eng.BUILD7.zip ("CM9")
      - gappsv5.1.zip
    • optionally you can also install
      - face-unlockv5-final.zip
      - FuguModICS_GT-I9000_update-Beta2.zip
      - bd-ics-bootanimation-flashable.zip
    • after the flash it will reboot on its own, let it do its ICS magic

Enjoy! :D
    Troubleshooting

if your upgrade to ICS fail
    do not despair...
    just repeat the Odin steps to get back to KG3 stock + CWR
    and flash another ICS build

also if you see the dreadful Phone-Warning-PC screen of death
    Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

just hold the 3 key salute buttons to go back, with the USB cable plugged in, to go back to Download mode and flash back to KG3 stock
    Thanks! One of the best guides available.
    Thanks! On my part, I had trouble to flash JVP directly from KG3. I hat to flash back KC1 (froyo) and then I was able to flash JVP.
    Hey love the ics look and feel so far the only issue is my modem i tried flashing my ukg3 modem through odin but still nothing i have an i9000 through bell in canada and need that modem working im going to try ukg1

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

So that didnt work either any ideas anyone?

Dont flash through odin.. use a CM7 Radio and flash through CWM