[Q] New g2 (vs980) user. Feel me in!

Search This thread

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
Okay im coming from 2 awesome years as a gnex user to the g2, which so far i LOVE! I bought it used and it was on latest ota so i rooted using the latest ioroot and flashed twrp using freegee and i want to mess around with roms but i keep seeing things talking about Loki this and that and brick here and there. So i would like to know what steps are needed to flash Mallidus rom since im liking stock for now and all of this talk is foreign to me being a nexus user ..everything was easy on it..

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
Okay im coming from 2 awesome years as a gnex user to the g2, which so far i LOVE! I bought it used and it was on latest ota so i rooted using the latest ioroot and flashed twrp using freegee and i want to mess around with roms but i keep seeing things talking about Loki this and that and brick here and there. So i would like to know what steps are needed to flash Mallidus rom since im liking stock for now and all of this talk is foreign to me being a nexus user ..everything was easy on it..

Just root and install Xposed installer, that is all

Modules I use:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-22-17-46-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-22-17-46-22.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 333

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
Any help for hotspot hack if I stay stock?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Dick Ripple

Jul 24, 2010
Memphis
If you flashed a proper lokified recovery everything is pretty much the same as the gnex. Format system, data, and cache. Then flash whatever rom you want. It's also a good idea to backup your EFS partition. There is a flashable zip in the development section that will make a zip of those partitions.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
If you flashed a proper lokified recovery everything is pretty much the same as the gnex. Format system, data, and cache. Then flash whatever rom you want. It's also a good idea to backup your EFS partition. There is a flashable zip in the development section that will make a zip of those partitions.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

According to that there should be a option in my version of twrp, I think it was like 2.6.3.3 also there is a option in freegee to backup efs. .in quick terms what exactly is it for and place it on pc for a just in case?

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
Also you mentioned "properly lokified recovery" how can I confirm this?

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
Any help for hotspot hack if I stay stock?

Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45868740 .

Also, I've gone back and forth a lot between stock recovery and custom. I have had some poor luck flashing some mods. I am currently running rooted with stock recovery and don't miss a thing. I use g2 xposed for tweaks and have added a number of mods manually (hotspot, lg browser that works in qslide, split window). For mods that flash in recovery i have had a lot of success opening the zip, reading the update script and performing the actions manually (for split window i downloaded an app for build.prop modding). No regrets. I also found that i can perform the factory reset and don't lose any of the permanent mods I made (i.e. non g2 xposed mods). Didn't even lose root (superuser app in system\app).

I've noticed a lot of former gnex users jumped to the g2 (myself included). Must be that 2 year upgrade cycle. I loved (and still have) my gnex, but this phone blows it out of the water (the screen alone... amoled what?).

Good luck and enjoy!

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the info, and I feel you on the love for the gnex but man it just has nothing on this phone...at all really, although I will say it spoiled me in the flashing dept,I don't think I ever checked a single md5 the whole time I had it. I never used xposed on the gnex so forgive me..but what would be something I'd want to possibly change through the g2 xposed module?

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
Also is it safe (if I ever decided to) reboot into twrp and wipe cache/dalvik on stock rom?

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
Also is it safe (if I ever decided to) reboot into twrp and wipe cache/dalvik on stock rom?

It's safe. A few times i ended up with the persistent "android is upgrading" message on every boot, but I'm pretty sure that was more from the mods i was trying. Really bad luck with flashing, can't tell you how many times i perform the Verizon return to stock procedure. Thought i actually bricked it once, but saved it. You are right about the gnex, unbrickable. I kept it as my insurance in case I ever actually brick this (they even have a fully functioning kitkat for it free of graphics glitches).

As far as g2 xposed, it can modify most anything you could want to, not to mention there are other mods for the xposed framework. I also never knew about it before my g2. You can modify the nav bar (height, # buttons, assign buttons, color, glow, get rid of it), modify the status bar (hide system icons, prevent certain notifications, change time/date format) and many other things. Costs $1 for all the features (worth it), free for some. A new version was just uploaded to the play store today. If you just install it, it will walk you through getting the xposed framework.

ANTLAY

Feb 25, 2011
The first part of your post alone makes me want to leave it alone, lol I'll probably do the hotspot mod and be done for the time being, lol

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
The first part of your post alone makes me want to leave it alone, lol I'll probably do the hotspot mod and be done for the time being, lol

Yeah, reading it again it does sound pretty bad. Just so you know, i was trying to keep with the stock os (not even a custom rom based on the stock os). I think you are fine if the very first thing you flash is a custom rom.

shriom_manerker

Mar 23, 2011
Margao,Goa
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 5T
im taking the leap to g2 tomorrow from my current gnex :) i still didnt quiet understand this "lokified" term. so lokified is a kernel/rom that we can flash ? is there anything called unlockified or nonlockified ? im a little lost, plz assist me if its not so much trouble :)

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
im taking the leap to g2 tomorrow from my current gnex :) i still didnt quiet understand this "lokified" term. so lokified is a kernel/rom that we can flash ? is there anything called unlockified or nonlockified ? im a little lost, plz assist me if its not so much trouble :)

Loki is just the hack used to root I think. Its a script that does the work on your device. I think we need Loki enabled recoveries that can use and utilize the script.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus too. Its a tad different, since you root first, then install recovery. Root requires running a bat file from your PC where it copies the Loki script. Recovery is downloaded and flashed with FreeGee from the Play Store.

But honestly, like I said before, the stock ROM is pretty amazing. Gots lots of bells and whistles no found on AOSP ROMs. If I flashed anything it would be a Flex ROM only because its like Stock+.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: shriom_manerker

shriom_manerker

Mar 23, 2011
Margao,Goa
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 5T
Loki is just the hack used to root I think. Its a script that does the work on your device. I think we need Loki enabled recoveries that can use and utilize the script.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus too. Its a tad different, since you root first, then install recovery. Root requires running a bat file from your PC where it copies the Loki script. Recovery is downloaded and flashed with FreeGee from the Play Store.

But honestly, like I said before, the stock ROM is pretty amazing. Gots lots of bells and whistles no found on AOSP ROMs. If I flashed anything it would be a Flex ROM only because its like Stock+.

oh good to have people from gnex here :) , thanks for the explanation. so basically after we root a script (loki thing) is stored in the phone somewhere which allows flashing of roms ! correct? , seems like i gotta read up. post any links if possible :) im going through the general section and the d802 section as well :)

Fastbird

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
You new guys coming over (that's funny, I haven't had the phone a week yet) need to give the stock ROM a chance. Run it rooted so you've got the access and capabilities, install G2 Xposed at a minimum, and go from there. I came from a Rezound I had running CleanRom and pretty heavily tweaked to my liking. The ONLY things I've done to my G2 since getting it on Sunday were to Root, Selectively Debloat, Install G2 Xposed and tweak, and install Apex Launcher because I like having the multipage scrollable lower dock, and if you use G2 Xposed to shorten the height of the navbar, you get an unsightly gap between the navbar and dock unless you use a different than stock launcher.

Doing all the above, the ONLY thing I've lost is the stock pinch out to show the desktop feature. Not a big loss. I had to install screen locker and set double tap in Apex to lock the screen so it still functions exactly as knock off, and knock on was unaffected.

I see absolutely no reason to install a custom rom unless you absolutely MUST have Kit Kat. Most of the aftermarket ROM's I've seen have a "what doesn't work" list. I'd rather have it all work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.