FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

361 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,105

By guevor, Senior Member on 26th September 2012, 01:55 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
23rd December 2012, 12:20 PM |#111  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 136

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3mikalie

When this fast mode is active, I cannot see shades of gray, I see only colors composited from black and white dots.
Is that what I have to see ?

Thank you

If you have 'NoRefresh' installed check whether it is active (NoRefresh settings) when you try to launch 'FastMode' .
They cannot be both active at the same time.

24th December 2012, 11:21 PM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Fast Mode work perfect, but USB host for KB only
Quote:
Originally Posted by guevor

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.

ATTACHED FILES
install-kernel-174-modified.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 79 views)
install-kernel-usbhost-176.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.15 MB, 79 views)

Tried on NST. Fast Mode work perfect - greetings to guevor, but USB host for KB only, not install drivers for usb audio and no usb disk. On usb-host-mt-sound-pack_0.2.zip them ( audio and disk) was worked great.
26th December 2012, 06:59 PM |#113  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3mikalie

When this fast mode is active, I cannot see shades of gray, I see only colors composited from black and white dots.
Is that what I have to see ?

Thank you

Yes, this is normal.
16th January 2013, 06:33 AM |#114  

More
is anyone experiencing touch functionality stop after awaking from sleep with this kernel? now it always happens to me that after many hours of sleep, upon wake, nook looses touch and I need to reboot to get it back...
16th January 2013, 10:48 AM |#115  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I haven't used this kernel but I had touch functionality issues and would reboot until that failed and I read somewhere that even a spec of dust can do it. After wiping the screen with a cloth I have never had the provlem since.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
18th January 2013, 06:24 AM |#116  

More
[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)
as impossible as it sounds, it really seems to be the case: I thoroughly cleaned the touch surface and blew the edges and it looks like it's not happening anymore... so definitely
nothing to do with kernel but some strange hardware mechanical behavior
18th January 2013, 01:22 PM |#117  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 59

More
I have been having this same issue. It started only after installing the 1.76 kernel a couple of days ago. Is it possible that this kernel makes the IR more sensitive? Cleaning the touch surface does clear up the problem, but it was not a problem at all with the stock kernel. I installed the 1.2.1 version of the B&N firmware before rooting using NookManager graphical rooter. Perhaps the touch screen driver has been modified in 1.2.1 and that is what is causing this weird behavior.
18th January 2013, 02:18 PM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Re: [Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226

I have been having this same issue. It started only after installing the 1.76 kernel a couple of days ago. Is it possible that this kernel makes the IR more sensitive? Cleaning the touch surface does clear up the problem, but it was not a problem at all with the stock kernel. I installed the 1.2.1 version of the B&N firmware before rooting using NookManager graphical rooter. Perhaps the touch screen driver has been modified in 1.2.1 and that is what is causing this weird behavior.

It could be. Though when I had the problem I was on a rooted 1.01 with multitouch and refresher. I eventually did a reformat thinking this was the problem but my screen remained unresponsive so I googled the issue and eventually found the cloth cleaning solution.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
18th January 2013, 04:37 PM |#119  
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226

I noticed intermittent sensor problems on my 2 NSTs after updating to this kernel, so was leery and rolled them both back to stock. At this point, I started paying more attention.

One of my NSTs is particularly sensitive, regardless of what firmware I run. I think it's more a case of the NST becoming more sensitive, though whether to build up or simply age, I can't say. If I don't use it for 2-3 days, I have to blow it out, then it works fine. I've tried all sorts of variations of cleaning the screen. It's odd, because it seems as dependent on time as on environment. It's in a drawer, so not collecting a lot of dust.

I've re-loaded this on the other unit, and it always wakes up with no problem if the screen is clear.

In short, it seems to be the device, and not any sort of side effect of running this kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobstro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobstro Ad-Free
22nd January 2013, 03:22 PM |#120  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 59

More
I rolled back to the stock kernel and have not had any problems since. Thus I conclude that at least on MY device, this new kernel is causing some problems with touch sensitivity.

2/7/2013 - UPDATE: I have done some additional testing and believe I can say conclusively that on version 1.2.1 the overclocking kernel IS causing the problem. After using the stock kernel for a week, I installed V1.66 of this kernel and the problem returned. I did find that pressing the 'n' button and then trying to use the touch screen sometimes clears the problem (without cleaning the touch surface).

I post this not to criticize or even to request a fix, but just as information so that if/when someone works on an update to the kernel they will know this issue exists and perhaps look for a solution as part of the update. As I stated in a previous post, I strongly suspect that the touch screen driver was modified in the 1.2.x updates.
22nd January 2013, 06:58 PM |#121  
Flag Warszaw
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Guys, how can I make fastmode work? I have 1.2 NST, and cannot get it to work, nor NoRefresh. It is really annoying.

Those scripts, do not work in my case. (sh ones)
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread