FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM]★★[JB 4.2.1][CROMi-X 5.4][DATA2SD/ROM2SD | ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.5][FEB 22]★★

12,752 posts
Thanks Meter: 15,733

By sbdags, Recognized Contributor on 29th August 2013, 10:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th December 2014, 01:41 AM |#5551  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,111

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribell

Hi,

After trying cromi-kk and having some instability, went to try cromi-x on internal memory which is much faster, especially waking up from sleep, but lots of lag when updating apps and multitasking.
Read that rom2sd should help on this aspect but after making a nandroid and copying to a samsung pro microsd card, with 90mbps read, it is slower than internal, which I don't understand...

Should I do a clean install of rom2sd or does this kernel thats not faster with this setup?
With the same setup I saw a major improvement on cromi-kk.

Please help

if you're only after speed improvement, not dual boot, a data2sd setup would be easier.
If the card is rated 90mbps it does not mean that it performs even in that neighborhood. The OEM ratings are pure fantasy it seems to me.
Thibor69 recently posted a few benchmarks with his cards. A 90mbps rated never got more than 20 mbps, one rated 40 mbps got up to 60.....
Run a couple of benchmark tests on that card - it may well be slower than internal memory....
13th December 2014, 11:04 AM |#5552  
Flag Aveiro
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

if you're only after speed improvement, not dual boot, a data2sd setup would be easier.
If the card is rated 90mbps it does not mean that it performs even in that neighborhood. The OEM ratings are pure fantasy it seems to me.
Thibor69 recently posted a few benchmarks with his cards. A 90mbps rated never got more than 20 mbps, one rated 40 mbps got up to 60.....
Run a couple of benchmark tests on that card - it may well be slower than internal memory....

Thanks for the help, since I'm in the process of deciding which ROM works best I've been using the ROM2SD setup, I believe it does not bring any performance penalty.
Or is DATA2SD more performant?

As suggested I tested the card with the apps Thibor69 suggested and got consistent read speeds around the 90MBps mark, as you can see in the atached images.
This is why I don't understand why I am having lag using the card in the ROM2SD setup, maybe it is because of the nandroid to switch from internal memory to the microsd?

This card was previously used in F2FS mode with crombi-kk, but I've formated DATA partition to EXT4 beforing copying the nandroid of cromi-x.

Should I just delete all the partitions on gparted and do a fresh install on microsd, without the nandroid?

Really appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATTO_bench.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	3062000   Click image for larger version

Name:	CrystalDiskMark_bench.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	3062001  
14th December 2014, 07:00 PM |#5553  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Bgjgj
14th December 2014, 09:03 PM |#5554  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,111

More
Quote:

Thanks for the help, since I'm in the process of deciding which ROM works best I've been using the ROM2SD setup, I believe it does not bring any performance penalty.

As suggested I tested the card with the apps Thibor69 suggested and got consistent read speeds around the 90MBps mark, as you can see in the atached images.
This is why I don't understand why I am having lag using the card in the ROM2SD setup, maybe it is because of the nandroid to switch from internal memory to the microsd?

This card was previously used in F2FS mode with crombi-kk, but I've formated DATA partition to EXT4 beforing copying the nandroid of cromi-x.

Should I just delete all the partitions on gparted and do a fresh install on microsd, without the nandroid?

Really appreciate the help.

Mmmh, which kernel did you flash and did you flash the same kernel internal/external?
15th December 2014, 12:57 AM |#5555  
Flag Springfield, MO
Thanks Meter: 347

More
Quote:

This is why I don't understand why I am having lag using the card in the ROM2SD setup, maybe it is because of the nandroid to switch from internal memory to the microsd?.....

It was said a while back that random r/w speeds were more important for performance with data/rom2sd installs. Test different cards like you did with yours and see what has the best. A while back I posted doing the same thing and found quite a lot of difference in card performance. I think your idea of gparting / fresh format is a good idea. SB noted a while back that eventually all installations need a wipe of dalvik / cache to keep up their performance as well. That said, in my setup it seemed that the extSD was prone to being corrupted in the data2sd setups - and I tried all roms & f2fs int/ext, etc, but have been sitting put here on 5.4 for a bit as it seems to have longevity before the lag specter sets in. However, when @sbdags is back in the game, I'll be itching for a flash
15th December 2014, 11:10 AM |#5556  
Flag Aveiro
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

Mmmh, which kernel did you flash and did you flash the same kernel internal/external?

Exactly the same kernel, I just shut down and remove the card or insert it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark_8125

It was said a while back that random r/w speeds were more important for performance with data/rom2sd installs. Test different cards like you did with yours and see what has the best. A while back I posted doing the same thing and found quite a lot of difference in card performance. I think your idea of gparting / fresh format is a good idea. SB noted a while back that eventually all installations need a wipe of dalvik / cache to keep up their performance as well. That said, in my setup it seemed that the extSD was prone to being corrupted in the data2sd setups - and I tried all roms & f2fs int/ext, etc, but have been sitting put here on 5.4 for a bit as it seems to have longevity before the lag specter sets in. However, when @sbdags is back in the game, I'll be itching for a flash

I'm reaching the same conclusion and it seems I will also stick the 5.4 on internal memory after trying several cards with F2FS and int/ext and also different roms.
This sunday I did a gpart delete of the partitions and a fresh install but still could not get the same performance as the internal memory.
18th December 2014, 02:37 PM |#5557  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hey guys. Let me preface what i'm going to say with I don't like anything "apple". Last night my son was showing me some stuff on his Ipad air. As he browsed from page to page and back, I was blown away at the responsiveness of the tablet. I didn't want to use my tf700 in front of him.

I have read hundreds of pages of posts on all three roms that have been developed, and have used all three, all on internal, and with different kernals. I am currently running zombi. I look forward each night to reading new posts, and appreciate the genius of all the usual suspects. Although I know what sbdags is going through, I sorely miss his input. You guys that have taken up the slack are a godsend.

Putting up with lag and having to "clean up"the system on a regular basis just doesn't seem normal. I have a fix it mentality, since I was an auto technician for over 30yrs. I have no idea about this stuff and I am in awe at what you guys do. I seem to remember reading that lag is a part of android. If this is true, why can't somebody fix it? I'm also aware of the i\o problems on this thing. Can that not be fixed? Help an old mechanic understand.

I have recently read some posts that cromi x has the least lag. It's been a while since I used it, as I moved on to crombi kk, then zombi. So far I like zombi better than crombi, but lag still frustrates me, so I go into recovery and wipe dalvik and cache. When it gets too bad, I re-flash the rom. I would like to know which rom has the least lag and the most speed.

I have thought about getting my wife a different tablet. She gets pretty frustrated with hers (currently running crombi), and she has no concept of technology, so I feel bad that I bought her this tablet in the first place. At the time, it was rated one of the best tablets on the market. Either the reviewers didn't know what was going to happen with this thing or the other tablets were crappy in comparison. If I decide to take the leap on a new one, suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. It's safe to say that Asus won't be a consideration. I had the tf201 which required a dongle to fix the gps and wifi problems, and now this mess. I used to have alot of respect for Asus. I have used their mother boards and I have one of their sound cards in my pc, both of which have had their own problems. I'll be sticking with this one because I like to tinker and i'm hoping sb and the gang have some more (and better) goodies in store for us.

Thanks in advance for everything you do!
18th December 2014, 02:55 PM |#5558  
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 702

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyrat

Hey guys. Let me preface what i'm going to say with I don't like anything "apple". Last night my son was showing me some stuff on his Ipad air. As he browsed from page to page and back, I was blown away at the responsiveness of the tablet. I didn't want to use my tf700 in front of him.

I have read hundreds of pages of posts on all three roms that have been developed, and have used all three, all on internal, and with different kernals. I am currently running zombi. I look forward each night to reading new posts, and appreciate the genius of all the usual suspects. Although I know what sbdags is going through, I sorely miss his input. You guys that have taken up the slack are a godsend.

Putting up with lag and having to "clean up"the system on a regular basis just doesn't seem normal. I have a fix it mentality, since I was an auto technician for over 30yrs. I have no idea about this stuff and I am in awe at what you guys do. I seem to remember reading that lag is a part of android. If this is true, why can't somebody fix it? I'm also aware of the i\o problems on this thing. Can that not be fixed? Help an old mechanic understand.

I have recently read some posts that cromi x has the least lag. It's been a while since I used it, as I moved on to crombi kk, then zombi. So far I like zombi better than crombi, but lag still frustrates me, so I go into recovery and wipe dalvik and cache. When it gets too bad, I re-flash the rom. I would like to know which rom has the least lag and the most speed.

I have thought about getting my wife a different tablet. She gets pretty frustrated with hers (currently running crombi), and she has no concept of technology, so I feel bad that I bought her this tablet in the first place. At the time, it was rated one of the best tablets on the market. Either the reviewers didn't know what was going to happen with this thing or the other tablets were crappy in comparison. If I decide to take the leap on a new one, suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. It's safe to say that Asus won't be a consideration. I had the tf201 which required a dongle to fix the gps and wifi problems, and now this mess. I used to have alot of respect for Asus. I have used their mother boards and I have one of their sound cards in my pc, both of which have had their own problems. I'll be sticking with this one because I like to tinker and i'm hoping sb and the gang have some more (and better) goodies in store for us.

Thanks in advance for everything you do!

I am sorry to hear that.. Do you have a fast external SD? Do you use f2fs, Fsync off, and br2ram? You have to try all roms and kernels out to fit your usages. Cromi X and hund ET combination seems to work best for my case, good luck....

Edit: If you are using Kitkat Rom, you should try out ART runtime, too.:
18th December 2014, 03:40 PM |#5559  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow

I am sorry to hear that.. Do you have a fast external SD? Do you use f2fs, Fsync off, and br2ram? You have to try all roms and kernels out to fit your usages. Cromi X and hund ET combination seems to work best for my case, good luck....

Edit: If you are using Kitkat Rom, you should try out ART runtime, too.:

Using F2Fs; Fsync off, and br2ram. This forum has educated me on the many trial and error workings of this tablet. Also. I tweaked settings in developer options as per sb's suggestion. I recently posted about trying to get ART to work with zombi, and I was informed the CM doesn't support it. I have tried multiple combinations on each rom, and lag seems to be an inherent problem.
Not interested in using external sd for anything but storage.

Thanks for the response.
18th December 2014, 04:50 PM |#5560  
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 702

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyrat

Using F2Fs; Fsync off, and br2ram. This forum has educated me on the many trial and error workings of this tablet. Also. I tweaked settings in developer options as per sb's suggestion. I recently posted about trying to get ART to work with zombi, and I was informed the CM doesn't support it. I have tried multiple combinations on each rom, and lag seems to be an inherent problem.
Not interested in using external sd for anything but storage.

Thanks for the response.

Hmmm, I am still running Cromi X 5.4 and it is very responsive and reasonable performance.. I am using Data2sd and f2fs with Hund ET and an old br2ram script from a previous version of the Cromi X, Not the current one from the v5.4 with the stock Browser. The surfing speed is faster than the Ipad Air comparing side by side because it is using RAM to load the page... I am not sure what is your setup but my device is running very reasonable and have a "discard" flag to prevent lag from an intensive usages. I am using a more up to date "build.prop" than the one from the Cromi X v5.4. Let me know if I can help in any way, good luck....
18th December 2014, 05:45 PM |#5561  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow

Hmmm, I am still running Cromi X 5.4 and it is very responsive and reasonable performance.. I am using Data2sd and f2fs with Hund ET and an old br2ram script from a previous version of the Cromi X, Not the current one from the v5.4 with the stock Browser. The surfing speed is faster than the Ipad Air comparing side by side because it is using RAM to load the page... I am not sure what is your setup but my device is running very reasonable and have a "discard" flag to prevent lag from an intensive usages. I am using a more up to date "build.prop" than the one from the Cromi X v5.4. Let me know if I can help in any way, good luck....

Thanks for the reply. I am running the configuration that you responded to with sd"s kernal on internal. As stated, I am not interested in running from the external sd.

What is the br2ram script that you are using and why is it better? Where can I find it if I want to try it?

What is the "discard" flag and where can I find it?

Where is the more up to date build prop?

It seems from the early responses that I am getting, I may be going back to cromi x. Going to wait for a little more input.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
asus transformer, cleanrom inheritance, cromi, cromi-x, jb 4.2.1

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)