Post Reply Email Thread
8th May 2014, 03:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo123

Hey WinSuk, I know these are annoying questions, but Google Now is basically the only thing missing that's keeping me from installing this on my mom's phone. I understood your explanation about voice recognition and Google's libraries and am now wondering if that's the same reason Google Now isn't working. Do you think it will ever be possible to install Google Now? Thanks so much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just tried the newest Search app, and it works fine after you disable hotword detection : O

1. install Google Search app (I don't really want to distribute an apk myself, so here is a trustworthy source)
2. open it, and hit Yes, I'm in
3. let it crash
4. open Google Settings from the app drawer
5. navigate to Search & Now > Voice > "Ok Google" hotword detection
6. slide hotword detection to off
7. done, it works

I think ima add this to the OP...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinSuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WinSuk Ad-Free

8th May 2014, 04:20 AM |#12  
Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Just installed your ROM and it runs great!! Such a difference coming from your cm9 build. Quite impressed.

I was wondering if s2ext will work with this ROM? I understand kitkat broke the SD card support but our rom storage is quite small. I was only able to install a few apps before hitting the limited memory alert Lol. Are there any work arounds? =)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
8th May 2014, 04:50 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura808

Just installed your ROM and it runs great!! Such a difference coming from your cm9 build. Quite impressed.

I was wondering if s2ext will work with this ROM? I understand kitkat broke the SD card support but our rom storage is quite small. I was only able to install a few apps before hitting the limited memory alert Lol. Are there any work arounds? =)

What do you think about symlinking the whole data partition to the SD card? Just an idea.

Could you do me a favor and take a few screenshots of the used storage and ram? Would also be interesting to know how much of the system partition is used/free. Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
8th May 2014, 07:08 AM |#14  
Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

What do you think about symlinking the whole data partition to the SD card? Just an idea.

Could you do me a favor and take a few screenshots of the used storage and ram? Would also be interesting to know how much of the system partition is used/free. Thanks again

Sorry but I don't know how to symlink it lol. Is that like how when we used to use darktremors a2sd mod?

So after installing 7 apps, I only got about 18mb of rom left lol. The amount of free ram is quite good though.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399529076145.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2731828   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399529089602.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2731829  
The Following User Says Thank You to kura808 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kura808 Ad-Free
8th May 2014, 09:11 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kura808

What app are you using?
I tried Link2SD, but it doesn't like the /sd-ext mount point... can be fixed by deleting /system/etc/init.d/05mountsd and rebooting.
10th May 2014, 12:00 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Status bar loses transparency
10th May 2014, 01:29 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmshe

Status bar loses transparency

Read the first post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSuk

Notes:
For a transparent status bar, enable high-end graphics in Performance settings

10th May 2014, 01:51 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Read the first post?

thank you
12th May 2014, 12:10 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
The storage space is the most difficult part on this device right now...
Missing fonts for languages have been added, but even after stripping out the live wallpapers, it (and a few other changes) leaves just under 13MB free on /system... Google Apps takes up 26MB.
I'll be taking CMWallpapers out before the next release, but at 9.3MB - that isn't quite enough...
The newest recovery (6.0.4.8) also won't fit without stripping out everything that isn't needed (images, comments & linebreaks in files, etc).
We may have to start using custom partition sizes soon...

Another option is symlinking Google Apps to the /cache partition (40MB, mostly unused), like the gapps package I linked for 4.3
The Following User Says Thank You to WinSuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WinSuk Ad-Free
13th May 2014, 12:11 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:

Another option is symlinking Google Apps to the /cache partition (40MB, mostly unused), like the gapps package I linked for 4.3

Are there any downsides to this? Isn't the cache partition just as fast etc?

Do you think your ROM is already usable as a daily driver? As I said I don't own the phone anymore and can only rely on the community before I install it for my mom.

Do you think ART will ever work? I think this phone would benefit from it greatly. Thanks

13th May 2014, 01:49 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Are there any downsides to this? Isn't the cache partition just as fast etc?

Do you think your ROM is already usable as a daily driver? As I said I don't own the phone anymore and can only rely on the community before I install it for my mom.

Do you think ART will ever work? I think this phone would benefit from it greatly. Thanks

As far as I know it's the same speed... runs off the same chip (otherwise we couldn't resize the partitions)

I think it's usable daily yes, but maybe not for your mom (I would go with CM7... CM10 if newer things are a higher priority than stability/bugfreeness)
The built-in camera app is extremely slow at taking pictures (other apps might not be). Can't think of anything else that wasn't on CM9-10.2 that would be a problem though... I think the keyboard is a little smaller?

It's possible for ART to work, but it would have to be ported to ARMv6... With dalvik we can just revert the "remove support for ARMv6" commit(s) - but with ART, it wasn't there to begin with..
It may benefit from the speed, but definitely not the added space (& possibly memory use).
ART is faster because it compiles the whole application upon install (or first boot), and caches it on the device (to /data for us). Dalvik only caches what it needs, then compiles on the fly when needed. (so opening an app, dalvik has to compile it first, THEN run it... ART just runs it)

I don't think ART will be ported to ARMv6 - it would require someone who knows assembly, and it's not really worth it for ARMv6.
If Google completely removes dalvik and replaces it with ART, we'll just revert that commit too and keep using dalvik (that would be bad for app compatibility though)
The Following User Says Thank You to WinSuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WinSuk Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)