Just received my 3500mAh Extended Battery from ebay!

Search This thread

Texan28

May 27, 2011
I have one of these on order. I wanted the back cover to experiment with my own battery design. Willing to bet that real capacity is in the 2200 range.. I'll test it when it gets here, and disassemble it. All the china batteries I have gotten don't bother to remove the labels clearly showing them using 2 1100 cells or similar... Sigh..... And they never have working temp sensors... Pffftttt

Yea your right...i got an extended battery for my G1 before and it suuuuuuucked....total rip off...i wouldn't mind getting the 4500 for the price just so i KNOW it would work

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Antigen

Oct 12, 2007
This ****ing 10 buck bat is freaking awesome.
After several discharges I'm on 44th hour of light use and still have 59% of charge!

jacob808

May 12, 2008
I probably might just get me one if more reviews come back positive. I also have 2 mugen covers so I just might use those instead of the one that ships with this 3500 one.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I grabbed one of these $10 specials on ebay... I bought it for the extended back so I can attempt to fit more cells in there. If it's going to be fat anyway, I might as well try to cram as much in there as I can. :p

I'll give it the same round of testing I gave the Andida... Cells don't show markings under the sticker, but I haven't completely disassembled it yet.

2927 mAh

If this one shows the same performance over time as the others I've tested, I expect another 100 mAh or so after a few cycles. Still... to "only" be over-rated by 500 mAh is a win with these china batteries. I have not tested to see if the temp sensor is intact. Someone running one, grab the battery monitor widget from the market (free) and put the widget on a desktop for a day or so. Tap on the graph to get to battery temp. Is it a straight line or does it change over time like it should? Time to drop this test unit back in the charger. :D

For 2x tested capacity, if it holds up, the $10 price is a steal. I'll know more when I've abused it some more. :D

Antigen

Oct 12, 2007
It dropped down to 42%, but I was playing fast 5 since my last post.
Btw, temperature sensor on battery is not working/absent

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011
also remember that you will not drain 3500 mah out of the battery without killing it it will shut off with a bout 20% capacity left or around 500-700 mah left you cant drain Lithium ions battery to 0v or you will kill them 3v is the lowest they can go without getting damaged and i think the phone stops at about 3.4. i have seen a lot of company's rate their battery's with usable capacity or with actual capacity it gets confusing very fast.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
also remember that you will not drain 3500 mah out of the battery without killing it it will shut off with a bout 20% capacity left or around 500-700 mah left you cant drain Lithium ions battery to 0v or you will kill them 3v is the lowest they can go without getting damaged and i think the phone stops at about 3.4. i have seen a lot of company's rate their battery's with usable capacity or with actual capacity it gets confusing very fast.

BS excuses from over-rating battery sellers. The stock battery tests out to slightly OVER it's rating on g2x and vibrant. As do cells purchased raw. Hell, I've opened batteries that say 3500 and found a pair of cells marked 1100 in there. It tested to 2200 as I would expect. I've worked with a LOT of lithium batteries. And I don't drain them to 0v. That would be stupid. I drop them to 2.9v which is the point most manufacturer datasheets recommend. Unlike the rip-off artists, my tester design is fully documented and my source code posted. See the Vibrant Accessories forum.

If you don't like what I post regarding battery ratings, you either got ripped off and don't want to accept it, or you sell over-rated batteries. lol

The R/C guys don't tolerate this crap, and neither should we.

danz8509

Oct 30, 2009
Woodbridge
so are you talking about the 3500 mah battery? cause in a post before you said it read at 2927 mah?

BS excuses from over-rating battery sellers. The stock battery tests out to slightly OVER it's rating on g2x and vibrant. As do cells purchased raw. Hell, I've opened batteries that say 3500 and found a pair of cells marked 1100 in there. It tested to 2200 as I would expect. I've worked with a LOT of lithium batteries. And I don't drain them to 0v. That would be stupid. I drop them to 2.9v which is the point most manufacturer datasheets recommend. Unlike the rip-off artists, my tester design is fully documented and my source code posted. See the Vibrant Accessories forum.

If you don't like what I post regarding battery ratings, you either got ripped off and don't want to accept it, or you sell over-rated batteries. lol

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011

How is this a BS excuse i am a r/c guy and i know about this crap having seen it. im just warning people that china usually rates their batteries for the batteries whole capacity meaning you'll never get 3500 mah out of it without hurting your battery. Most r/c people will tell you not to drain a battery past 20% and that's 3.6-3.7v for LIIon and Lipoly batteries. I know there are people out there out there that are trying to sell you batteries that dont have the capacity that's on the sticker ran into that as well. but dont lump me in with them because i said something you dont like.

Mabey i was not clear and you misunderstood what i said.

Company A produces a 1500 mah battery they label it as one even if it dont put out that much.

Company B Produces a 1500 mah battery they make it a bit bigger so there is 1500 usable capacity.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
How is this a BS excuse i am a r/c guy and i know about this crap having seen it. im just warning people that china usually rates their batteries for the batteries whole capacity meaning you'll never get 3500 mah out of it without hurting your battery. Most r/c people will tell you not to drain a battery past 20% and that's 3.6-3.7v for LIIon and Lipoly batteries. I know there are people out there out there that are trying to sell you batteries that dont have the capacity that's on the sticker ran into that as well. but dont lump me in with them because i said something you dont like.

Mabey i was not clear and you misunderstood what i said.

Company A produces a 1500 mah battery they label it as one even if it dont put out that much.

Company B Produces a 1500 mah battery they make it a bit bigger so there is 1500 usable capacity.

I'm talking about companies vastly over-rating the capacity. Being from china is no excuse as all the manufacturers clearly state real usable capacity, anything over that destroys the battery and they tell you that in the datasheets. Even the ones in china.

I wasn't calling you out, just *****ing about the trend. R/c users have nice computerized chargers that tell you the real capacity. Cell phones generally can't tell you the capacity. So we get more fraud. Imo, useable capacity less then 90% of stated is, imo, fraudulant. For a cell phone battery, room temp at .5C discharge or less is a reasonable test.

As for the particular battery in this thread, looking at the pic in the op, I might have a different one. My label is b/w, the op is in color... I'll post the ebay seller link when I get to a computer. And yes, for $10, ~ 3000 is good capacity, but they should mark it that way. I'm irritated about the temp sensor not working though, it's a good safety feature and it's cheap as hell. There is no good reason not to include it.

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011
ok ya we are on the same page i dont like that practice anymore then you do just have to deal with it as best we can. Can you're test rig go above .5c? i would be interested in seeing what the stock battery droops to under load at 1a or above as the g2x can draw that at times and i think some reboots might be attributed to that.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
ok ya we are on the same page i dont like that practice anymore then you do just have to deal with it as best we can. Can you're test rig go above .5c? i would be interested in seeing what the stock battery droops to under load at 1a or above as the g2x can draw that at times and i think some reboots might be attributed to that.

That's a good point. I can adjust the resistance, so I will look into trying that. I just have a few 1% power resistors I put in there, then just adjust the code to take that into account. I'm currently draining at about 700mA for a full battery. The idea was to keep close to what the phone pulls, but I have seen it hit about 1A as you mentioned... I'll see about running a test at about 1.2A, that should cover spikes.. Should be about 3.25 ohm... Need to see what size resistors I have on hand. What would be really cool is switching in/out resistors during a test, simulate steady draw + current spikes..... Shouldn't be too hard, an extra resistor+transistor and another output pin on the micro..... lol

I've wondered about the phone drawing more power causing a voltage sag from the battery... It's logging the data to a terminal screen now, I could probably capture the data and run it through gnuplot or similar to see voltage over time...

The battery I purchased is this item on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270771439587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Took 2 weeks to get here, but I expected it to take a while..

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011
ya that's the same battery that the obostore has for the same price even. is the battery 2 cells in parallel or just one big cell? its there a way to test what the LVC Chip on the battery is set at?

Last edited:

jacob808

May 12, 2008
It's great to hear opinions from the R/C guys on lithium batteries. I myself did alot of reading up on lithium batteries since I had an electric bike kit, but what I'd like to know is if this 3500mah battery does indeed have a BMS (battery management system) microchip on it, as this is what I read on ebay.

Also, would the Mugen 4500 mAh have a BMS chip as well?

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011
i dont think there is a phone battery anymore that dont have a chip in it. it just a fancy circut breaker if you try and over discharge it it cut off the battery if you try and over charge it it cuts off the battery

blackerwater

Apr 17, 2007
Seattle
42eb08de-9085-2544.jpg

42eb08de-90a2-f74e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

blackerwater

Apr 17, 2007
Seattle
Just got mine today. Took awhile but its not as big as I thought plus it fits in my hand better. So far looks good on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

jacob808

May 12, 2008
I think the bottom part is just as thick as the mugen cover. It's just that mugen chose a better more smooth design for the cover than this monstrosity.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
ya that's the same battery that the obostore has for the same price even. is the battery 2 cells in parallel or just one big cell? its there a way to test what the LVC Chip on the battery is set at?

It's 2 cells in parallel. I haven't pulled the pcb, nor have I dropped it below 2.9v. The phone kernel won't let you go lower either. To test for the cutoff, we would have to just short a resistor across it and see what it does... It's probably not much lower.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For a total of $13.89 shipped, I'm quite excited about it.

Check out the pics!
    I will update on it's performance in a few days.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Considering the fact that I needed a new battery door (victim of the common "8MP" cracked glass) and wasn't going to pay LG $31 for a replacement.
    I would love to have an extended battery but not at the cost of doubling the thickness of the phone...otherwise I'd have a clamshell Motorola again lol
    I would love to have an extended battery but not at the cost of doubling the thickness of the phone...otherwise I'd have a clamshell Motorola again lol

Think about what you're saying. You rather have a pocket pc that doesn't have the capacity to be away from an electric outlet just so you can look "cool"? It's like wearing a broken Rolex watch just to look suave. That's pretty illogical. Seriously, you might as well go back to dumb phones, because I tell you the truth, the stock battery is not sufficient to make the phone a viable gadget with all it's advanced features.

You need the extra capacity of an extended battery, to be able to fully realize the potential of the G2x and the apps that you can find in the market.

With the 4500mah battery I have from Mugen, I use my phone as a personal trainer, a flash light, a camera and video recorder, a audio diary, a gaming machine, a internet browser and movie player, a tv remote control, a radio, police scanner, etc. without worrying what app I want the phone to be and use it the whole day as anyone of the gadgets a mentioned above without having to constantly think about plugging in and recharging it.

Also it can't be good plugging in the rechargers micro usb often, since it wears and tears. Having constantly plugged and unplugged when I was using stock battery, my charger connection now wiggles and is loose just because I had to constantly charge. Once that breaks good luck on trying to replace it.
    I just received mine today from a seller in Hong Kong on eBay. It is the Mugen style back. It looks well made and the back fit the phone perfectly. I am charging it right now. One question I have, do these batteries report false capacity on purpose for some reason? I have Battery Monitor Widget installed and it is showing the capacity at 1500mAH, the same as the stock battery. I am sure the capacity is much more, if not the advertised 3500mAH. I will know once I start using it tomorrow and see how much capacity I have left after a normal's day use. Normally when I get home from work the phone is begging me for a charge. Here is the seller I bought mine from. It was $9.55 with free shipping. What I received is exactly as pictured in the eBay listing so no reason for me to post photos of what I received.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250876112152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

US seller same for 9.00
    G2X 2X EXTENDED

Generic link for seller, so it does not expire in future, just search G2x in his store
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/bridge_wireless/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692
    Yeah i wouldnt mind getting the links for the seller you got your battery from.
    I still have my original battery... its been over a year and a half i believe, and my phone lasts for like 3 hours of use not including any talk time. its depressing. LOL

Look under my Accessory review thread. Links are there.

Sent via G2x on temasek b135.2 w/faux kernel v54