iOttie Waterproof Skin

Search This thread

hyukki

Mar 12, 2009
This look like an awesome idea, however, I wouldn't want to bring my phone down into the water with it though. You have to make sure there aren't any small holes which are probably really easy to get and you also have to make sure that there aren't any gaps between the sealing tape.

Reactions: s1mpd1ddy

jordant2

Jun 5, 2007
Newbury Park
Wouldn't recommend it, I just broke my screen and found out that the insurance replacement is $200! That seems a bit ridiculous as my car deductible is only $500.

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
Any waterproof bag has one flaw. The water pressure will cause the touchscreen to work funny. You cant select anything. Its like a giant thumb pressing the whole screen at once.

Imo buy a cheap disposable waterproof camera. Really how many photos would you take underwater?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
yeah, I'd say go for the real disposable, or non-dispoable, underwater camera. But if you actually need to waterproof your phone, use an Aquapac. I can't suggest a specific model based on the Note's size, but I have several of these from previous phones and they're great. A little more protection from drops/bumps, and completely waterproof.

Fernandq

Sep 19, 2011
Charlotte
The Kodak sport camcorder is waterproof already and and I have seen it at best buy as cheap as $120 which is a lot less that what is going to cost you to get your phone working if that cheap waterproofing fails. I would not mind using that product to protect my phone when I'm anywhere close to water but I would not intentionally jump in it.

MonkeyThumper

Feb 27, 2012
I just bought one of the iOttie Waterproof Skins....but not for my Note, but for my HP Touchpad. I bought the one for the ipad2, which is almost the exact same size as the Touchpad.

I like the idea of this, especially on a wireless chargeable device like my Touchpad is. I have one of the waterproof bags, and while it does work, it is kind of awkward, and the plastic is loose fitting, and just didn't' make it easy to use the Touchpad.

I actually have two Touchpads, and we like to use them when hanging out at the pool. We have a water misting system at the pool, and couldn't use the Touchpad before without the danger of it getting wet, so...I thought that a nice tight fitting watertight skin would be perfect. And since I don't have to break the seal to recharge the Touchpad, the skin should work for me much longer.

If the skin does everything I expect from it, then I *may* buy one for my Note, just for extreme cases of when I feel I want to protect it more than usual, but for now, I just use a ziploc bag for it, and it gets the job done just fine.

I will let you guys know what I think of it after it gets used by the pool.

MonkeyThumper

Feb 27, 2012
Just wanted to update you on my purchase of the iOttie Waterproof Skin. As I said in my above post, I got this for my Touchpads, not for my Note, because I felt it would be more useful with the Touchpad being a wireless charging device.

So...Yes, it is waterproof. I didn't "dunk" it, and don't ever plan to. I did use it by the pool with the misters turned on, and it worked great. It was easier to use with the skin on it than with the waterproof bag I also have for it.

The skin is just not really noticeable. My finger doesn't slide on the screen as easy as it does without any protection, but it felt the same as when using the much more expensive waterproof bag. The skin is out of the way more, so it made the Touchpad easier to use than the bag system.

Haven't needed to take the skin off the Touchpads for charging, which is great. If someone could come out with a wireless charging system for our Note, I would seriously consider getting one of the iOttie skins for the note to use in harsh environments and leave it on there for extended periods, but without a wireless charging system, I could only see using the skin on the Note for EXTREME cases. If it wasn't for the problem of having to open it up each time for charging, then this would be a great option. iOttie needs to make wireless charging replacement battery doors for phones, along with selling the skin as an extra protective option.

If you are going to the beach, I do recommend the skin. It will at least keep sand/water out, and keep the sand from scratching the phone also.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Haven't needed to take the skin off the Touchpads for charging, which is great. If someone could come out with a wireless charging system for our Note

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1451668

In reality, inductive charging is pretty easy. Coil, connections. I've seen this sort of thing done on multiple devices, it just comes down to finding the right sized coil that'll fit and having the balls to solder it on. :)

That said, inductive pads are a tiny bit bulky and add some pennies in cost, but I don't get why EVERY device doesn't have it. It's awesome to have, and less strain on the USB connection.

Last edited:

s1mpd1ddy

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for all the input. I think I may just go with a cheap waterproof camera from CVS or something. Ill leave the phone in the room .... :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

MonkeyThumper

Feb 27, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1451668

In reality, inductive charging is pretty easy. Coil, connections. I've seen this sort of thing done on multiple devices, it just comes down to finding the right sized coil that'll fit and having the balls to solder it on. :)

That said, inductive pads are a tiny bit bulky and add some pennies in cost, but I don't get why EVERY device doesn't have it. It's awesome to have, and less strain on the USB connection.

I have been looking at my options for building an inductive charging setup for my Note. I actually have already bought just the Mugen Extended Battery cover (no Mugen battery), so that I could have the room to install a coil. This cover gives me a LOT of extra room. I just have to figure out how I want to connect it up to actually charge the Note. Just haven't had time to look into it closer yet.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I have been looking at my options for building an inductive charging setup for my Note. I actually have already bought just the Mugen Extended Battery cover (no Mugen battery), so that I could have the room to install a coil. This cover gives me a LOT of extra room. I just have to figure out how I want to connect it up to actually charge the Note. Just haven't had time to look into it closer yet.

Room for the coil is certainly one aspect, but the connection to the charging pads is certainly the more difficult task. Good luck, use a GOOD soldering iron, and take your time.

If you're not great at the iron, you might find some representative circuit board and experiment on soldering it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This look like an awesome idea, however, I wouldn't want to bring my phone down into the water with it though. You have to make sure there aren't any small holes which are probably really easy to get and you also have to make sure that there aren't any gaps between the sealing tape.
    Wouldn't recommend it, I just broke my screen and found out that the insurance replacement is $200! That seems a bit ridiculous as my car deductible is only $500.
    Any waterproof bag has one flaw. The water pressure will cause the touchscreen to work funny. You cant select anything. Its like a giant thumb pressing the whole screen at once.

Imo buy a cheap disposable waterproof camera. Really how many photos would you take underwater?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
    yeah, I'd say go for the real disposable, or non-dispoable, underwater camera. But if you actually need to waterproof your phone, use an Aquapac. I can't suggest a specific model based on the Note's size, but I have several of these from previous phones and they're great. A little more protection from drops/bumps, and completely waterproof.
    The Kodak sport camcorder is waterproof already and and I have seen it at best buy as cheap as $120 which is a lot less that what is going to cost you to get your phone working if that cheap waterproofing fails. I would not mind using that product to protect my phone when I'm anywhere close to water but I would not intentionally jump in it.