Sony Xperia Arc vs Samsung Galaxy S2

Search This thread

joplin48

Aug 8, 2010
Victoria BC
Sony Xperia Arc:cool:: vs Samsung Galaxy S2:confused:

I'm really interested in the Arc due to the fact it has Autofocus/Hdmi/Takes excellent pictures in low light plus great pictures in general. The Video is very smooth/clear. You can run mutiple apps without lag. It comes loaded with 2.3. Must important of all it has clear/loud/incredible sound whether using the media player or talking on the phone or using the speaker phone.It has a great screen with vivid colors.
Just because its a single core processor does not make it slow. This is the same processor that the Desire HD uses.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the Samsung S2 is not a good phone.
Here are my thoughts
-Dual core processors are brand new(1st generation)
-it will take awhile for them to prove themselves
-how long will updates take
-it will take awhile for developers to develop games/apps for dual core phones
-not everyone needs or uses the power of dual-core processor

Final Thoughts
At the end of the day I want a phone that I can clearly talk on/play the odd game/listen to music. Play utube stuff/watch videos without lag/surf the internet the odd time/take some picts/odd video.
Im not into heavy graphics/rpg games/editing movies or pictures.
I believe that Arc can do all the above and more.
To me Dual core is overkill for me for now. Besides at the end of the year we'll have Quad Core phones.

Tell me your honest opinions on the Arc/Vs Samsung Galaxy S2.:confused:

Thanks
Joplin:cool::confused:

Last edited:

pippenchan

Oct 10, 2009
For me is just easy, if heavy for game play, I go for Xperia Play. If not, I go for Xperia Arc.

Because I hate the out shape design of the Galaxy S, it's too similar to iPhone, even the UI.

Arc out shape design is too great!!

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

refract

Jan 9, 2011
Gaming is fine on Arc, too. The screen is more than huge enough to support gaming via touch.

As for topic, I'd go for Arc, considering as you said, dualcore won't matter for at least next 2-3 quartals, and even not then as well.

It's a experimental area, phones don't really need dual core stuff just yet imo.

MJ_QaT

Feb 25, 2009
London
In the end it's not about what people tell you
It's about what you want
For me i'm going with Arc, it has everything I want in it

Sent from my X10i using XDA Premium App

wickedrami

Dec 20, 2009
This sub forum will tend to be full of people who are genuinely interested in the Arc. If you wan't some interesting opinions you should open the same thread in the galaxy s2 sub forum. ;)

MJ_QaT

Feb 25, 2009
London
This sub forum will tend to be full of people who are genuinely interested in the Arc. If you wan't some interesting opinions you should open the same thread in the galaxy s2 sub forum. ;)

Of course, why would someone hate SG2 go to their section and waste everybody's time :p
Same goes here

Sent from my X10i using XDA Premium App

refract

Jan 9, 2011

Well some people are actually genuinely unbiased.

It's just a mobile phone, also, strictly speaking, you'll milk more out of Arc than SG2 with your money for the time being. But on the end, everything falls down to preference. Dual-core won't make that much difference for the time being, plus I'd imagine it rapes your battery life faster. On another side, SG2, if the dual-core CPU actually matters much, is the smarter choice here. Again, proving my point that personal preference is all, I've seen some people picking up inferior phones just because of brand or it's looks ( cough cough iPhone )

Pick what you like, is the best answer you can get on these forums.

wickedrami

Dec 20, 2009

It's just a mobile phone, also, strictly speaking, you'll milk more out of Arc than SG2 with your money for the time being. But on the end, everything falls down to preference. Dual-core won't make that much difference for the time being, plus I'd imagine it rapes your battery life faster. On another side, SG2, if the dual-core CPU actually matters much, is the smarter choice here. Again, proving my point that personal preference is all, I've seen some people picking up inferior phones just because of brand or it's looks ( cough cough iPhone )

Easy fella. It was a joke. Ofcourse at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. :)

Back to the topic. I'll go for the arc because I am a sucker for eye candy!

END_OF_FLESH

Feb 16, 2011

Just throwing my .02 in... I'm returning my Atrix within the next week or so due to Motorola locking down the bootloader and Designgears calling it a lost cause... but I figured I'd just throw it out there that the Atrix with the Tegra 2 (dual core) CRUSHES any other phone I've EVER owned in the last 6 years on the battery life. If the bootloader wasn't signed I'd drop Cyanogenmod 7 onto it and be a happy camper for the next 2 years (Tegra 3... mmmmm...)

refract

Jan 9, 2011
Easy fella. It was a joke. Ofcourse at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. :)

Back to the topic. I'll go for the arc because I am a sucker for eye candy!

Guess I should've added a smiley or two in that post :p

Just throwing my .02 in... I'm returning my Atrix within the next week or so due to Motorola locking down the bootloader and Designgears calling it a lost cause... but I figured I'd just throw it out there that the Atrix with the Tegra 2 (dual core) CRUSHES any other phone I've EVER owned in the last 6 years on the battery life. If the bootloader wasn't signed I'd drop Cyanogenmod 7 onto it and be a happy camper for the next 2 years (Tegra 3... mmmmm...)

Hmm, the battery life thing is interesting, a man would expect it to drain more power ._.

im_iceman

Apr 7, 2010
Alsager
I believe that dual core processors are more power efficient because they each run at lower clock speeds, and therefore lower heat.. and therefore use less battery!

Makenboshi

Mar 18, 2011
Jakarta
what makes you say that?.. what about the SGS2 overwhelms the arc?

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3619&idPhone2=3621
specwise, arc is overwhelmed by SGS2
but if you compare price/performance, arc would came as the winner

btw the bravia engine is so cool, and xmor also rocks
just hoping the bootloader could be unlocked, keep my fingers crossed :(

a short video by me when trying the arc demo unit

youtube.com/watch?v=D4uc1PHxA9Y

joplin48

Aug 8, 2010
Victoria BC
Originally Posted by Makenbosh// My Reply>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bigger does not mean better. Sure Samsung has dual core but why do I need to go 150mph/ 100 mph with the Arc is fine by me. Besides the ticket will be cheaper. Bonus point goes to ARC

Last edited:

silverwind

Mar 2, 2010
Neverending Land
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3619&idPhone2=3621
specwise, arc is overwhelmed by SGS2
but if you compare price/performance, arc would came as the winner

btw the bravia engine is so cool, and xmor also rocks
just hoping the bootloader could be unlocked, keep my fingers crossed :(

a short video by me when trying the arc demo unit

youtube.com/watch?v=D4uc1PHxA9Y

Dude, never really trust gsm arena;)
I would love to have dual core phone, but it's not available in the market, yet..
So, I decided to have this arc.. I love the design:)
About, the price, IMO it's a bit over priced ;)

Ah, can't wait 9 April :p

Cheers

phonex1

Jan 4, 2011
what makes you say that?.. what about the SGS2 overwhelms the arc?

The fact you cannot get rid of Sony Ericsson's ugly blues theme makes it pretty underwhelming. Sexy phone but ruined again by SE. I was set to buy it but after learning there is no way around the iPhone-esque lockedness I would just get SGS2. If I want a locked experience I have the iPhone 4 for that. No need to settle for same thing again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used SGS2 for about a month, and yes its a great phone..but now i switched to xperia arc, which i found better than the SGS2 in 6 out of 10 ways...

1. SGS2 is fast but it lags for about 3 sec when opening after sleep, and when using apps and going back to home it lags 2-3sec. Arc 1 sec only..

2. Arc camera is better and faster..

3. Sound is better on arc than on SGS2..

4. Colors are natural on ARC than on SGS2 (cartoons)

5. I find arc display to be better and really natural, it amaze me, sgs2 is good, but what i like about arc is when your outside and on the sun the screen is still stunning and readable 101% and makes the color appear vivid, arc best them all on this department..

6. Lastly the design of arc is the greatest phone ever engineered i think..:D:D
    I tried both, I kept the Arc.

S2 Video camera sucks. 1080p means nothing when the quality is that poor.

S2 is FULL of crappy modifications and bloatware. The hubs are terrible, at least the Arc modifications are relatively minor compared.

S2 does have more memory, I'll give it that.

S2 is marginally faster with some things. I don't know what I'm doing but I very VERY rarely get any lag on my Arc. The S2, surprisingly, lagged just as much from time to time.

S2 for media it plays everything I need, as does the Arc.

S2 screen has higher contrast, but Arc has much more natural colours, and in terms of brightness there's not a lot in it, and nobody actually needs either at full brightness anyway.

S2 has more supported titles for Gameloft Games, but that doesn't bother me personally.

S2 for homescreen and lockscreen has many modifications I personally think are awful.

Don't get me wrong, the S2 is a magnificent piece of electronic engineering, but that's all it is, electronic engineering. Samsung have put a lot of new technology in one device. This causes a lot of issues in itself like abysmal battery life and due to it's thinness, pretty poor build. I also hate the capacitive buttons.

SO on paper, yes, of course the S2 is a better phone.... but I just don't love it the same way I love the Arc. It's older technology, refined to practical perfection.

Way I see it, people should try both. If you prefer the S2, get that, if, like me, you prefer the Arc, get the Arc. Both are great phones. But saying one is intrinsically the one people MUST get is stupid.
    If you want to go with arc you better take a look at this thread beforehand!
    I got one, now dead, going for a Galaxy S2.
    Arc so sluggish, battery half a day, hang and auto reset once a day! It's your choice now.
    Your experience is NOT typical.. and if you get the phone from a reputable source the you can take it back if there's problems... it really annoys me when a very small minority with issues, make out like it's a typical situation.. and it simply isn't.
    i love the way how the SEfanboyz have twisted the dualcore thing as a bad thing.

"it uses so much battery" - rubbish

"the arc's performance is just as good" - rubbish

"single core gets the job done so what's the point" windows 95 got the job done, should we never evolve in ANYTHING we do?
    I used SGS2 for about a month, and yes its a great phone..but now i switched to xperia arc, which i found better than the SGS2 in 6 out of 10 ways...

1. SGS2 is fast but it lags for about 3 sec when opening after sleep, and when using apps and going back to home it lags 2-3sec. Arc 1 sec only..

2. Arc camera is better and faster..

3. Sound is better on arc than on SGS2..

4. Colors are natural on ARC than on SGS2 (cartoons)

5. I find arc display to be better and really natural, it amaze me, sgs2 is good, but what i like about arc is when your outside and on the sun the screen is still stunning and readable 101% and makes the color appear vivid, arc best them all on this department..

6. Lastly the design of arc is the greatest phone ever engineered i think..:D:D

Thanks this sums things up.
    Plus Arc has a great battery life now.