FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

My phone wont boot into Cmw recovery, Please help.

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By WTF_IsA_Android, Junior Member on 27th December 2012, 05:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My phone is rooted (With Super One Click) and when tap the "boot into recovery" option in Rom Manager it just send me to the stock recovery (with Blue text and what not). I have flashed Rom Manager with my Sidekick 4g before I tried to boot into recover. Please, someone help me. The answer is probably right in my face, but my noobish eyes just cant see it.

Please don't bash me this is my first post. I made sure there wasnt any post like this before i started a new tread.
27th December 2012, 08:23 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Don't use ROM Manager with Sidekick 4G as CWM doesn't work the same way. When you reboot you always go into Samsung recovery from where you gotta reinstall packages to 'fake flash' the CWM recovery. If it says permission denied, the recovery file wasn't pushed to /system properly. You gotta reinstall every single time .. till of course you install a custom ROM. I think most come with voodoo CWM which replaces stock recovery, allowing you to go into CWM directly when you go to Recovery.

Firstly you need root, which I'm assuming you already have. Then you have to move a custom recovery to your phone's /system to allow you to install unsigned packages. You can do this using root explorer (paid app, but its the most simple and easy way of doing it) or you can do it using other similar apps that give you R/W (read and write) access. You also need to have a custom recovery file, the update.zip which when you hit reinstall packages (given you pushed the custom recovery file to the phone's system) would bring up clockworkmod recovery.

Read the noob guide here -> link. Its REALLY good and gives you a step by step of how to root / get custom recovery and install custom ROM.

Go here -> link. For more in depth information about getting a custom recovery. And here -> link. for Krylon's recovery files (links on his thread aren't all working).

Edit: Looks like the links on Krylon's page aren't working .. if someone can give an alternative it would be great!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eMJaaay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eMJaaay Ad-Free
28th December 2012, 02:54 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Chicago

More
I'm thinking about ODIN my device and start over but this time following one of the guides provided. I got cwm working but now I get a long script of code with a error that saids that it can't mount this and stuff like that. Ill try to post a image to give you a little better look at my problem. And for some reason the cmw logo isn't coming up behind the orange text.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda app-developers app
30th December 2012, 12:52 AM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Those guided really helped me out I spent ages reading up different things so when I finally went and did it, I didn't face any problems!

Important notes:

1. Root, obviously :P I personally didn't use the latest edition of SuperOneClick (at the time) on the website, but the file the dev posted on his XDA Thread.

2. Don't use ROM Manager or any other 'one click' kind of recovery for this phone. You need to download a custom recovery file and update file (links above, thanks Krylon) and go into CWM Recovery through the official Samsung Recovery through reinstalling the custom update file. This is the only way to access Orange CWM. Most custom ROMs come with the Red Voodoo CWM which is permanent in the sense that when you go into recovery, you should go into CWM (Red), instead of having to go through Samsung.

3. Orange CWM (and some say Red CWM as well) has some mounting issues. Always remember to check your mounts such that System, Data (well just to be safe, all of the items in the list) always say UNMOUNT. Basically when its mounted, means CWM has access to the partition. It says UNMOUNT because it is MOUNTED. I know thats a bit confusing, but think of it like this - there is a light switch that says ON so when you press it, turns the lights on but then the writing changes to OFF because you need to push the switch to turn it off. Erm .. hope that helps?! Lol.

4. Basically if your partitions are showing up as MOUNT, means you need to MOUNT them. Otherwise whatever changes you did won't apply! Instead of getting confused like I did, just make sure the screen says UNMOUNT SYSTEM and so forth for the rest of the items on the list.

5. Before installing a custom ROM, I always wiped x 3, before and after. Means after checking mounts, wipe data / dalvik, etc. 3 times. So for me, after checking mounts I would go to wipe date - yes - done 1; wipe data - yes - done 2; wipe data - yes - done 3. Followed by wipe dalvik and whatever else you want to wipe. Then I'd check mounts again (they usually get unmounted after a wipe .. well for me they always have anyway) before installing the ROM. Oh, sometimes I installed the ROM twice. Then I'd check mounts, wipe x 3, check mounts again before finally rebooting and letting it stand still for around 20 minutes or so. I don't really know if there is a logic or if doing it so many times makes a difference but I know some other people have done this and (other than wasting time) it doesn't really do any harm (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so why the hell not? I think the basic reasoning behind double / triple wiping and installing is to make sure that the changes are properly written as sometimes the system still retains old data.

6. Some people have SD card partitioning issues apparent. I can't remember why everyone went around partitioning in the first place (it must have been for some important reason, completely slipped my mind right now .. I personally did it to link my apps / data to SD card and save internal memory / space) but I personally used Gparted to partition my card on a computer (rather than CWM on the phone as I've heard people have issues with this) and never had a problem.

But I think thats it. I know there is a lot of information but its really worth having a look at the guide and other posts on that thread as that and the ROM thread (I personally use GOV 3.2) really had me prepare for any possible issue beforehand so I started off in a position where I could avoid them.
30th July 2014, 11:44 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_IsA_Android

I'm thinking about ODIN my device and start over but this time following one of the guides provided. I got cwm working but now I get a long script of code with a error that saids that it can't mount this and stuff like that. Ill try to post a image to give you a little better look at my problem. And for some reason the cmw logo isn't coming up behind the orange text.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda app-developers app

can someone update the sidekick 4g stuff everything is either dead or does not lead anywhere to download any of the required files, thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)