FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Should I add PDroid Manager to Google Play (as well as posting it here)?

Yes

483 Vote(s)
93.06%
No

36 Vote(s)
6.94%

[APP][4.1.2+ with OpenPDroid or PDroid2.0] PDroid Manager ALPHA[2013-01-12 v0.2.9.8]

173 posts
Thanks Meter: 427

By FFU5y, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 11:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th August 2014, 12:04 AM |#291  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
can I install this on my sidekick 4g?
11th August 2014, 01:08 AM |#292  
Thanks Meter: 4,441

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper

Damn, I just prepped my phone for an update, ran the autopatcher, and it tells me support has been dropped. What a letdown! I wish the dev recommended another app for permissions management. u_u

I really hope development on this app continues. While the learning curve to installation and configuration is high, once you get it right, it becomes routine (an annoying routine, but routine nonetheless). I don't feel like I can go back to an open phone after this. I could trust OpenPDroid to protect my information and at the same time, not break apps. I don't know if I can trust the permissions managers that are built into ROMs or other third-party apps to do the same things this one could.

After some searching on the forums, I found XPrivacy. I tried it out, and it's much more user-friendly than PDroid: way more granular control (a bit overwhelming), a log (very useful indeed), better UI, easier installation (very important for widespread adoption), a database of crowdsourced app permission profiles; I could go on. If you haven't heard of it and are interested, you can check it out in this thread. But the deal breaker for me was no ability to backup and restore settings. (Titanium Backup won't work with it, and I tried to do a manual backup, but the files appear to be well hidden.) I can see charging for a feature like downloading and applying permissions from the database through the app, but not allowing backups on the free version is unethical...and how do I know that project won't be abandoned within a year or two like this one was? Paying for a premium version is no guarantee of that.

Guess I'll hold out on upgrading to KK a little longer. Maybe someone will pick up here where the original dev left off. To whoever does, you really need to check out XPrivacy. It's what I wish PDroid was.

hi,

1) i'm maintaining OPD patches for CM11 (mateor's applied until M5 i think). but you have to build you own CM, no autopatcher:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...od-11-t2839491

2) mateor's patches may still apply to AOSP source i think.

3) you can remove the timed self destruct from autopatcher script and try it on a non-CM11 based rom. many roms may still apply.

4) you can get XPrivacy's import/export for free. the app is GPL!!! just clone the git and build. there is a one line change that will make it work as a licensed copy. it is not obfuscated in any way (kudos to the developer for respecting freedom!!!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
17th December 2014, 09:40 PM |#293  

More
Any idea if I can patch Lollipop with/for this? I'd like to run this on 5.0
17th December 2014, 10:21 PM |#294  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusNL

Any idea if I can patch Lollipop with/for this? I'd like to run this on 5.0

once CM starts releasing Ms ill give it a shot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 12:41 AM |#295  

More
M's? Excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?
18th December 2014, 12:52 AM |#296  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusNL

M's? Excuse my ignorance but what did that mean?

M snapshots
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
pdroid, privacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)