[TUTORIAL] Partitioning your sd-card correctly

Search This thread

arpcpro

The gparted method caused I/O problems on my sdcard

First, thank you for describing with this detail the procedure to correctly partition the sd card. It is something that almost nobody cares or understands. So it is very useful for us newbies to get the maximum performance out of the sd card.

But in my case I had some problems. I bought at a respectable european store a Samsung plus MicroSDHC 32Gb UHS I class 10 (the ones with "32Gb" letters in orange). I used it on my tablet for 2 months without any problem. Then I decided to switch it to my phone to use it with a link2sd partition since the phone has low internal memory.

To prepare the sd card I booted with a Kali Live CD and launched gpart.
I inserted the micro sd card on the genuine adapter and I was always using the internal laptop reader.
Deleted the 32gb fat32 partition and I created 2 others
25,2Gb FAT32 1st and 4096mb ext4
Formatted both on linux.
Rebooted to Win7
Whenever I was sending 1,5Gb of files to the recently created FAT32 partition I was always getting "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". But choosing "Try again" would work and copy the files correctly. This would happen 3 or 4 times during that copy. Always using the sd card on the internal laptop reader.

I went to gpart again, deleted all the partitions and recreated them, this time allowing gpart to select different setttings like leaving 2 mb at the beginning.
Same error happened.

Formatted the sd card on the phone. It deleted everything and created a 32Gb partition. I changed the sd card to the adapter+internal reader, send 1,5Gb and it was copied without problems.

Gparted again. Recreate 26Gb FAT32 + 4Gb ext4.
When in Win7 the copy error was happening.

- So while in Win7 I decided to format the FAT32 partition via windows explorer. I notice that it changed the allocation unit size from 4k to 16k.
Next when I sent the 1,5Gb of files it went without problems.

I don't know what changed exactly because on my first attempt I noticed that the FAT32 partition created with gpart already had 16k allocation units. Strange...

medvezhonok

Oct 4, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) with Slimbean 4.3. Is this method valid for my phone?- I think that S-OFF only applies to HTC devices, doesn´t it?.
Can I follow these steps to repartition my SD card?. I think I have an 11 GB internal memory. I mean inside the phone, it´s not an SD card you can extract.

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) with Slimbean 4.3. Is this method valid for my phone?- I think that S-OFF only applies to HTC devices, doesn´t it?.
Can I follow these steps to repartition my SD card?. I think I have an 11 GB internal memory. I mean inside the phone, it´s not an SD card you can extract.

no this guide is for external sdcards u put into ur phone like a sandisk r something.

Reactions: medvezhonok

medvezhonok

Oct 4, 2012
OK Jmclue. In that case what should I do?. How can I repartition my internal card or whatever it may be.????
Any help will be much appreciated!

itsmemario

Apr 6, 2013
Okay, this thread is my last chance.

I asked everywhere and tried everything by now and this seems to be exactly what I needed. :'D

What I got :

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCH-PANEL-SYNT01010
RADIO-5.11.05.27
Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

Its a german vodafone branded Bravo (99HKZ050-00). Probably no root ! Not 100% sure.
and I cant tell which android is currently installed. Also USB Debugging is probably NOT enabled.

-If I start it normally, it will freeze at the green HTC logo and vibrate 7 times.

-I can access HBOOT and FASTBOOT on the phone, also with USB cable attached. (USB mode)

-adb and fastboot.exe and revoked can not communicate with the phone.

SD-Card detects ZIP files just fine on boot (zip files from other phones), calling them incompatible (ofc)

So I finally found this "PB99IMG.zip" thread.

I downloaded some RUUs for my Bravo now.

1.) Can I flash ANY Bravo RUU version (the extracted rom.zip from it) to my phone using this method ?
Wihtout taking care of which android is currently on the phone ?
Without having to downgrade HBOOT ?
Can I ignore that my Bravo is vodafone branded ?

2.) Is it a MUST to rename the rom.zip to PB99IMG.ZIP ?
I ask because on booting into HBOOT it seems to try every available ZIP to "start" it.

3.) Some RUUs have HBOOT 1.02 some have 0.93.0001...If I want to root later, 1.02 will be a problem ?
Which is the latest HBOOT for the Bravo, which the "best" ?

4.) If I just want to update HBOOT, will there be any problems with Radio or the already flashed ROM ?

5.) The "original" PB99IMG.ZIP is a downgrade to HBOOT 0.99 ? i.e. Another recovery ?

6.) Is there somekind of ROOT.ZIP for the Bravo ?
Or has it to be done via an APK app later or maybe fastboot etc.

On "Try 1" FAIL PU on Radio V2 (Using the rom ZIP from this thread)

On "Try 2" it asks for other ZIP files and does not start flashing then, only checking the ZIP. (Using the Bravo HTC Europe rom.zip from the RUU)

try_1_2.jpg

I even started the VODAFONE RUU which says :

installed ROM is 2.33.161.2

do you want to upgrade to 2.33.161.2 ?

Then it restarts the boot loader...or trys to...phone switches off and vibrates 7 times again...windows giving error 171, "Could not connect to phone"

I now wanted to try another rom.zip, but phone boots with a grey HTC logo now...upper left LED is red for 15 seconds...the grey logo stays @_@

Rebooting the phone, I can get back into HBOOT again...and I now see HBOOT is no longer 093.0001, but 1.02.0001.....wtf is going on ? :eek:

p.s.
Selecting "Recovery" in bootloader still does the 7 vibrations.

Last edited:

abaaaabbbb63

Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Okay, this thread is my last chance.

I asked everywhere and tried everything by now and this seems to be exactly what I needed. :'D

What I got :

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-031d
TOUCH-PANEL-SYNT01010
RADIO-5.11.05.27
Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

Its a german vodafone branded Bravo (99HKZ050-00). Probably no root ! Not 100% sure.
and I cant tell which android is currently installed. Also USB Debugging is probably NOT enabled.

-If I start it normally, it will freeze at the green HTC logo and vibrate 7 times.

-I can access HBOOT and FASTBOOT on the phone, also with USB cable attached. (USB mode)

-adb and fastboot.exe and revoked can not communicate with the phone.

SD-Card detects ZIP files just fine on boot (zip files from other phones), calling them incompatible (ofc)

So I finally found this "PB99IMG.zip" thread.

I downloaded some RUUs for my Bravo now.

1.) Can I flash ANY Bravo RUU version (the extracted rom.zip from it) to my phone using this method ?
Wihtout taking care of which android is currently on the phone ?
Without having to downgrade HBOOT ?
Can I ignore that my Bravo is vodafone branded ?

2.) Is it a MUST to rename the rom.zip to PB99IMG.ZIP ?
I ask because on booting into HBOOT it seems to try every available ZIP to "start" it.

3.) Some RUUs have HBOOT 1.02 some have 0.93.0001...If I want to root later, 1.02 will be a problem ?
Which is the latest HBOOT for the Bravo, which the "best" ?

4.) If I just want to update HBOOT, will there be any problems with Radio or the already flashed ROM ?

5.) The "original" PB99IMG.ZIP is a downgrade to HBOOT 0.99 ? i.e. Another recovery ?

6.) Is there somekind of ROOT.ZIP for the Bravo ?
Or has it to be done via an APK app later or maybe fastboot etc.

On "Try 1" FAIL PU on Radio V2 (Using the rom ZIP from this thread)

On "Try 2" it asks for other ZIP files and does not start flashing then, only checking the ZIP. (Using the Bravo HTC Europe rom.zip from the RUU)

try_1_2.jpg

I even started the VODAFONE RUU which says :

installed ROM is 2.33.161.2

do you want to upgrade to 2.33.161.2 ?

Then it restarts the boot loader...or trys to...phone switches off and vibrates 7 times again...windows giving error 171, "Could not connect to phone"

I now wanted to try another rom.zip, but phone boots with a grey HTC logo now...upper left LED is red for 15 seconds...the grey logo stays @_@

Rebooting the phone, I can get back into HBOOT again...and I now see HBOOT is no longer 093.0001, but 1.02.0001.....wtf is going on ? :eek:

p.s.
Selecting "Recovery" in bootloader still does the 7 vibrations.

That FAIL PU on Radio V2 is a sign that you have a radio brick. You did everything correctly, but the radio brick means the phone is gone for good. I'm sorry for your loss.

Reactions: itsmemario

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Correctly partition your sd-card for extended memory use​

Many users on this forum don't know how to partition their sd-cards correctly, resulting in later problems with ROMs, like lag issues, or data losses. This guide will help you partition your sd-card correctly.

There are several potential partitions where app-data can be installed to, usually the internal memory-partition is used for that. Unfortunately, the Desire's internal memory if only 147mb in size, and can only be increased by a maximum of 100mb with a hboot change. With apps increasing in size in the last few years, and devs not caring anymore about their app size, this small internal memory can't hold more than 10-20 relatively small apps.

Since Android 2.2 Froyo, users have been able to move part of the apps on the sd-card, but it's still not enough, with most of the data and dalvik cache filling up the internal memory. Therefore most custom ROMs incorporate an extension that allow additional partition on the sd-card to be used exclusively as an extension to the internal memory partition 'data', which is referrred to as 'sd-ext'.

----------------WARNING----------------

Everything on your sd-card will be wiped. Backup your sd-card before proceeding.

I do not take responsibility for anything that happens with your phone/ sd-card.

----------------INFO----------------

There are two methods to correctly create an ext partition on your sd-card. These are:

- 4ext Recovery method
    This method requires you to be S-OFF, but it's the easiest one.

-Gparted method
    This can be done, regardless of being S-OFF or not.

These two methods are the best ones to use. Other means could result in sd-card damaging, or other problems. Do not use:
    ROM Manager, CWM Recovery, Windows Minitool Partition Wizard etc.

All you need for this process:
    A 4ext recovery compatible phone ( for the 4ext method)
    A Micro Sd-card.
    A computer.
    A writable CD (For Gparted Method)
    A rom with init.d scripts support.
    A brain.

----------------4ext Method----------------

This method consists in flashing a new recovery on your phone, and it requires you to be S-OFF.
    If you aren't S-OFF, check this out:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=805811

Now. let's start.

[1] For Rooted ROMs

1. Go here: http://4ext.net/

2. Click on "4EXT Recovery Updater" and download the .apk.

3. Put the .apk on your sd-card.

4. Install the app, and open it.

5. Select "Online Install | upgrade". Confirm your phone model.

6. Select the latest "Touch" recovery, or "Classic", depending on your preferences.
    Skip to [4]

[2] For ROMs that are not rooted (PB99IMG)

1. Go to this thread :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751258

2. Download the file: PB99IMG.zip

3. Place the file on the root of your sd-card (like... not in any folder)

4. Power off your phone

5. Boot in hboot (Power Down + Volume Down) or, if Vol Down is broken, in fastboot (Power Button + Back button) and select
    "Bootloader".

6. Wait until a message appeares. Select yes.

Skip to [4]

[3] For ROMs that are not rooted (Fastboot)

This requires you to have ADB and Fastboot installed. Check out this guide : Long link

1. Download the PB99IMG from this thread :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751258

2. Extract the .img from inside the zip.

3. Put it on the the C:/ drive.

4. Boot your phone in fastboot (Power + Back button), then connect it to your PC.

5. Open CMD

6. Type "fastboot flash recovery C:/recovery.img"

Go to step [4]

[4] Partitioning your sd-card through recovery.

Now, you have installed 4ext recovery. We can continue.

1. Boot in recovery. (Power + Volume Down, then select "recovery")

2. Select "Tools".

screenshnpn.png

3. Select "partition sd-card"

screenshot2013013116315.png

4. Select "Remove all partitions and start from scratch" (Hope you backed up your sd-card)

screenshot2013013116321.png

5. Select your sd-ext partition size. Recommended : minimum 512mb.

screenshot_2013_01_31_16_32_27.png

6. Skip sd-ext 2 (If asked for it)

screenshot_2013_01_31_16_32_42.png

7. Skip swap. (If the rom you want to install requires swap, then select 128 mb)

screenshot2013013116325.png

8. Choose Ext4 as your partition type. (Ext4 is faster than Ext3)

screenshot_2013-01-31.16.34.40.png

Voila, now you have an ext partition.

Skip to "Using the ext partition".

----------------Gparted Method----------------

1. Download gparted Live CD (.iso) from here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

2. Once downloaded, burn it on a CD using a burning software.

3. Connect your phone to your PC, and select "Hard Disk" mode.

3. Restart your computer and enter boot menu (usually by pressing F2/F12)

4. In boot menu change the boot order to bring your CD drive on the top, save settings and exit.

5. Restart your computer. You will get some options. Select the one that says to boot Gparted, or something like that.

6. Select your language by entering a given number.

7. You will next have 3 options. Type 0 and hit enter.

8. Now you should be booted in Gparted. You should see your sd-card info, together with your PC's partitions. Select your sd-card.

9. After selecting, you can see your sd-card on the main screen, along with partitions. Delete all partitions, for a clean start.

10. Right click on the "Unallocated space", and click "New"

11. A box will appear. First, create a Fat32 partition. Click the drop down box and select "Fat32". Now write in the "Free space following" box the size of your future ext partition, and, if the ROM you want to install requires a swap partition, add 30 mb to that value. (Example: 1024mb+30mb= 1054mb)

*In order for especially windows-systems being able to mount your sd-card when connecting your device to a pc, sd-ext should be following your first sd-card partition (typically Fat32). Like... create the Fat32 partition first.

12. Now you'll see 2 partitions. Right click on the unallocated one again, write 30mb in the "Free space following" box, then select what kind of partition you would like between Ext 2,3 or 4 ( 4 recommended).

13. Now, right click on the unallocated 30 mb, and create a "Linux swap" partition, just in case.(Optional, only of ROM requires swap)

14. Click "Apply".

15. On the top left of your screen you can see an icon named as exit/turn off, click on it. You now finished partitioning.

Video for better understanding:

And yes, now you may copy back your stuff. (Again, hope you backed up)

----------------Using the Ext partition----------------

After creating an ext partition, you have to actually use it. Most ROMs have a2sd scripts incorporated that use your ext automatically (check the ROM thread), but some ROMs don't, or you just want another type of a2sd scripts.

You can use the following a2sd scripts:

Mounts2sd app (Easiest method, kids!)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spazedog.mounts2sd&hl=en

Mounts2sd script
    This is a script that lets you choose what you move to sd-ext.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342387

CronMod
    Another set of scripts. Each one has a description. Read it carefully.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1716124

Before flashing any scripts, remember to:
    Do a nandroid backup
    Delete any other a2sd scripts from the folder : /system/etc/init.d
    Wipe cache and dalvik cache after installing a script.

Tip:
    Unless you have a fast sd-card (Class 6 or Class 10), you should let your /data partition on your internal memory. Moving it to sd-ext could cause slowness. Move dalvik cache and system/app instead.

After you install one of these scripts, you can finally enjoy the extended memory of your phone.

Note: For most scripts, you will not see the actual ext partition as a memory extension (like, instead of 148 mb, you will not have 1148mb), but it will be there, doing its job.
    To actually see your sd-ext, install a storage app, like this one : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.freespace.

----------------Problems?----------------

Still getting low memory warning?
    1. Use the above suggested app to check your partition.
    2. Are you using the correct hboot for your ROM?
    3. Did you actually install a script? Did you configure it correctly (Mounts2sd)?
    4. You may be having way too many apps, even for your extended memory. Uninstall some. Remember that memory is still limited.
    5. Maybe your ROM doesn't support init.d scripts (needed for a2sd). Check out this thread :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1710980
    6. If none of above work, start from the beginning, or use another method.

---------------------------------------Thanks---------------------------------------

-pyroblazer
    -madmaxx
    -AndroidGX

Special thanks:
    -eddiehk6
    -jmcclue

P.S. If you see anything wrong with this guide, or if you think I should add something, please tell me. Thanks.​
    Re: [GUIDE] Partitioning your sd-card correctly

Very good :thumbup:

1 thing tho, regarding 5 and 6 using 4ext recovery.

5. Choose mb size for ext...ok
    6. Skip swap...ok

In 4ext recovery, after choosing first partition size, it asks u to choose second partition size then swap size. So maybe should be...

5 - 512mb - 1.5gb
    6 - Skip
    7 - Skip

Done.

Very good guide tho, bout time someone wrote it. Good job :)

Sent from my HTC Desire
    RSK Sattelite SuperSense4.1
    Very good :thumbup:

1 thing tho, regarding 5 and 6 using 4ext recovery.

5. Choose mb size for ext...ok
    6. Skip swap...ok

In 4ext recovery, after choosing first partition size, it asks u to choose second partition size then swap size. So maybe should be...

5 - 512mb - 1.5gb
    6 - Skip
    7 - Skip

Done.

Very good guide tho, bout time someone wrote it. Good job :)

Sent from my HTC Desire

Thanks.

Weirdly enough, I partitioned an older 4 gb class 2 sd-card just to see step to step what happens, and 4 ext didn't ask for a second ext partition. Maybe the latest versions are this way.

Anyways, i made the modifications.
    Hi, i took some screenshots of 4ext recovery while partitioning old sdcard. if u look at pic number 4 and 5 and look at the grey bar below status bar, it says "select a size for the first sd-ext partition" then on next pic it says "select a size for the 2nd sd-ext partition" then "select a size for the swap partition". Just thought id clear that up what i was on about yesterday :D anyway if u want u can use the pics for ur guide, just extract the zip file.

Lol..

Now, with these screenshots added, this guide can be followed even if you don't have a brain :p

Thanks guys for contributing!
    good stuff, very clear. should be made a sticky

few suggestions after also reading many Q&A threads:

- recommended size of partition
    simply depends on how many apps users want to install, surprising how some users don't understand this.

- gparted section,
    might as well link a video, always much easier to follow once you've seen it.

- using the ext partition
    • a lot of users expect their internal memory to read "internal + ext partition", when actually the partition is already in use without flashing any additional scripts. recommend first to check the ext partition is in use by installing various apps: diskusage, quick system info pro or titanium backup.
    • In many cases users won't have to 'use the move to sd' function, just keep apps on internal will trick apps to ext-partition. again this depends on the script, but can be checked as above.
    • when flashing different a2sd script, is it not necessary to delete the previous script first in /system/etc/init.d? not tried this myself but i would assume it may cause conflicts. definitely recommend nandroid backup and dalvik wipe before flashing any of these!
    • could also add a note to say that generally it is better to keep app data on the /data partition for stability and performance, unless they have fast sd card.

- add a "still getting low memory warning?" section?
    • use diskusage as suggested to check the partitions
    • make sure you are using the correct hboot for your rom (requires s-off), check the rom's system size using 7zip, or read each rom's OP or search within each thread for optimal hboot.
    • you may have too many apps, no matter which script you use there is still a limit. uninstall some apps you don't need ;)
    these aren't anything major, just fine tuning if you want to include

Thanks for the suggestions!! Added everything.
    :D

Yh it says at the top just below the status bar, its very small so alot of people probably dont see/notice it. Like when u press to "remove all partitions and start from scratch" then u choose, lets say 1024, the next part press skip, but when u press skip the screen doesnt change apart from the wee writing at the top so some people think when they pressed skip nothing happend so they press skip again then it partitions sdcard. Hope that makes sense lol :D

And yh like eddie said it should be made a sticky or atleast u could ask Mr.Mefisto to add it to his everything desire guide.

Il add it to my sig anyway if thats ok with u?

Sent from my HTC Desire

I'm more than ok with adding it to your sig :)

Apparently, the user DigginGraves already suggested it to Mr. Mefisto.