Wireless Charging - is it worth it?

Search This thread

rhetorician

Feb 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi folks,

I've been looking into wireless charging because, I thought, I could set up my phone to charge wireless; that is, across the room, for example. However, upon closer inspection, it looks like I'd be relegated to setting the device on a "base" in order for it to charge. Now, perhaps I was naive (or dumb) in thinking that I could chat away on the phone or otherwise keep it at my desk while some special hardware emits energy through the air to charge my device(s), but I can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is about putting my phone on a base—that's connected to the wall(!)—to charge my phone in a manner that's less efficient than hooking it up to our 3.0 cable (which, I might add, charges my phone from the red to full in about a half hour). After all, to even take advantage of this charging method we have to buy a special battery, equipment, and even a new case that's compatible with the charger. I just don't get the value...

So, I defer to the community to enlighten me--what do you think of the setup and what benefits do you see form your investment? Also, do you notice a difference in battery performance compared to the stock battery?

Thanks,
R

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
the best i seen wireless charging is 0.8-1.0 amps which is nowhere near the 2 amps that is more or less required to charge at a fast rate in a decent amount of time from 0 to full.

onurd

Oct 31, 2004
Yes, it is not as fast as plugging it in but it is great for the purpose of convenience. Just drop it on the charger when you are not looking at your phone... just one downside: the charging back makes the phone thicker and you cannot use most of the cases. If you dont mind a naked phone, go for it.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Yes, it is not as fast as plugging it in but it is great for the purpose of convenience. Just drop it on the charger when you are not looking at your phone... just one downside: the charging back makes the phone thicker and you cannot use most of the cases. If you don't mind a naked phone, go for it.

reasonable question if you drop that on the pad and just leave and not go back what would it matter if it was plugging and and left? then you'll come back to a more of a charged phone lol

Reactions: rhetorician

rlee008

Jul 7, 2009
Miami, FL
i use my phone all the time. to have a wireless charger is pointless to me since i cannot use it while its charging, its worthless. using the wired method not only lets me charge but also use my device as needed. its 100% crap if you ask me.... unless you're the type of person that doesnt use their device all the time and can be away from it for 3 hours +

Reactions: rhetorician

inflewence

Oct 29, 2008
I have the (Fast Charging)CHOE Qi Wireless Charger Kit. Didn't have to change any of my OEM. It is slower than the cord but I usually charge overnight anyway. I like grabbing it right out of bed and going. It's 50/50 for me. Probably didn't need it but now that I have it, it's cool. I got it off Amazon so it wasn't that expensive.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app http://www.inflewential.com

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
Plugged is the way to go.

Until they come out with a wireless method like you stated (without leaving it on the charger) then I will just stick with the wire.

mixxy

Nov 29, 2007
T.Dot
is it worth it to buy official equipment for wireless charging? no

is it worth it if you buy after market? yes! less than $25 bucks and you can have a wireless charger. yes it won't charge as fast as a plugged in charger but if you are charging overnight and want to protect your usb ports, check emails thru the night (i do it for business), and don't necessarily like wires on the side of your bed, i can't see a reason not to.

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
is it worth it to buy official equipment for wireless charging? no

is it worth it if you buy after market? yes! less than $25 bucks and you can have a wireless charger. yes it won't charge as fast as a plugged in charger but if you are charging overnight and want to protect your usb ports, check emails thru the night (i do it for business), and don't necessarily like wires on the side of your bed, i can't see a reason not to.

I can definitely agree to that. I like a wire free mess on my night stand as well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ROADKING17

Aug 17, 2013
Comes in handy when charging at night no need for a cable... Wireless charger is Shhhhnice!

SENT FROM MY SM-N900T/NEXUS 5 USING TAPATALK

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Comes in handy when charging at night no need for a cable... Wireless charger is Shhhhnice!

It's not so wireless when you pick up the phone and stops charging. Again what's the point if you're not going to use the phone how was the cable gonna mess anything up.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

ROADKING17

Aug 17, 2013
Easier way to charge at my desk or night stand maybe I don't wanna bend down and grab the wire then plug it in, call me lazy but I like it. I had a s3 and s4 before try plugging in the wire into the device without turning the lights on in the dark, my s3 was cracked from the charging port area of phone all because it was dark and I'm trying to plug it in

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
I have the (Fast Charging)CHOE Qi Wireless Charger Kit. Didn't have to change any of my OEM. It is slower than the cord but I usually charge overnight anyway. I like grabbing it right out of bed and going. It's 50/50 for me. Probably didn't need it but now that I have it, it's cool. I got it off Amazon so it wasn't that expensive.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app http://www.inflewential.com

Can you link to the kit if you don't mind? I'm a bit paranoid about most aftermarket power accessories. Nice to hear about one that works.

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
From the moderator

To all in this thread post respectfully or do not post, if you are unsure what respectfully means look it up in a dictionary.

Thank you ~~ oka1

inflewence

Oct 29, 2008
Can you link to the kit if you don't mind? I'm a bit paranoid about most aftermarket power accessories. Nice to hear about one that works.

No problem http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Wire...arging+Pad+and+Wireless+Charging+Receiver ...charger

I don't have some of the cons that the reviews talk about. My phone doesn't get really hot. I don't have the little bump in the back cover. It doesn't come with a plug but does come with the USB cord. I just use the original plug.

Sent from my SM-N900T http://www.inflewential.com

Reactions: phil.culler

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
No problem http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Wire...arging+Pad+and+Wireless+Charging+Receiver ...charger

I don't have some of the cons that the reviews talk about. My phone doesn't get really hot. I don't have the little bump in the back cover. It doesn't come with a plug but does come with the USB cord. I just use the original plug.

Thanks, I've been looking to get a wireless charger for quite some time, maybe this will be the one.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
The benefit is 2 fold for me:
1) Ease. I have a Panasonic base that adjusts it's coil to line up with the phone so at night I just drop my phone on the base and KNOW that it's charging. Better than fumbling with a cable in the dark.
2) Less physical wear on the micro USB connector.

detroitguy1

Jan 26, 2014
While not a wireless charger, the Amazon 9w speed charger & the Samsung USB 3.0 wire charge my phone super fast.

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
Wireless Charging

I did it just for the novelty factor initially. It was a good thrill, DIY mod types.
But later, I realized it is actually useful for me. I usually walk around while talking, and with Wired charger, I had to plug/unplug again and again after every call. Also, many times after unplugging, the wire slides down, and I actually have to crouch below my desk to recover it :p (call me sloppy, hehe). With Wireless charging, I just talk, place it back on the pad, nothing to worry about. It keeps charging while I do my work, and I also save the port (I've had port failing problems with other phones before).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wireless charging is not worth it. IMHO.
    Yes, it is not as fast as plugging it in but it is great for the purpose of convenience. Just drop it on the charger when you are not looking at your phone... just one downside: the charging back makes the phone thicker and you cannot use most of the cases. If you don't mind a naked phone, go for it.

reasonable question if you drop that on the pad and just leave and not go back what would it matter if it was plugging and and left? then you'll come back to a more of a charged phone lol
    i use my phone all the time. to have a wireless charger is pointless to me since i cannot use it while its charging, its worthless. using the wired method not only lets me charge but also use my device as needed. its 100% crap if you ask me.... unless you're the type of person that doesnt use their device all the time and can be away from it for 3 hours +