[root][confirmed][5.1.1]

Search This thread

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
CONFIRMED
I've looked a bit arround how we could achieve root on the fire without TWRP.
I don't have 5.1.1 installed, but I'm hoping the following is still possible.
(I tested it on a brand-new fire, that never came in touch with TWRP or a custom rom)
If someone could test this please:

Confirmed, working:
- Enable ADB-Debugging in Developer Settings, then:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem append-cmdline "androidboot.unlocked_kernel=true"
fastboot continue
adb wait-for-device && adb shell

You should now hopefully have a shell with root-priviledges:
Code:
root@ford:/ #

Please test and report back.

To Flash SuperSU and make root persistent (thx @pappasmurfsharem):
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=42700

If you are still inside "adb shell" from the last command above type "exit" first.
Or just skip the "adb shell" command above.

Code:
adb remount
adb push files\libsupol.so /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\root_fire.sh /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\su /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/
adb push files\supolicy /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/root_fire.sh
adb shell /data/local/tmp/root_fire.sh
# This Part reopened fastboot and I just re-ran the cmds from the first post in this thread #

fastboot continue

adb wait-for-device && adb remount
adb shell /system/xbin/su --install
adb reboot

Last edited:

cococo42

Sep 22, 2009
It works, in fact I've used it to remove a couple of apks from Amazon on 5.1.1 but... I can't see firelauncher, for example.

blueberry.sky

Aug 20, 2014
Huge thanks k4y0z!
I have another Fire due to arrive tomorrow, will definitely try it if I get 5.1.1.
Could you give the commands for restoring the old bootloader? Or would we use FlashFire? I presume there is a risk of hard brick. Flashing the bootloader would include the preloader & amazon recovery? I see there is a Boot & a Recovery partition.

Last edited:

onqq

Jan 16, 2015
Thanks, it is working on my fire 5.1.1.

now just need to figure out how load TWRP on here

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
It works, in fact I've used it to remove a couple of apks from Amazon on 5.1.1 but... I can't see firelauncher, for example.
Thanks for the feedback

Huge thanks k4y0z!
I have another Fire due to arrive tomorrow, will definitely try it if I get 5.1.1.
Could you give the commands for restoring the old bootloader? Or would we use FlashFire? I presume there is a risk of hard brick. Flashing the bootloader would include the preloader & amazon recovery? I see there is a Boot & a Recovery partition.
I have never used FlashFire.
I believe it should be enough to flash the old fastboot, though I'm unsure about the preloader.
You are correct, the following could potentially WILL brick your Fire, do at your own risk!
Code:
adb push lk.bin /data/local/tmp/
adb push preloader_prod.img /data/local/tmp/
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/lk.bin of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/UBOOT"
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/preloader_prod.img of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmcblk0boot0"
adb reboot-bootloader
Now fastboot boot should hopefully work again.

Please test and report back!

Attachments

• lk.zip
    223.4 KB · Views: 553
  • preloader_prod.zip
    74 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:

jbraney

Dec 30, 2014
Total noob question, I know... I haven't used Android Studio before, but am definitely a computer guy... Very simply, can you show me how to just run a straight up terminal to type these commands without creating a new "app"...

I just have a lack of android coding experience, but if you tell me, I'll understand very quickly... :p

Harry44

Jul 14, 2010
TX, USA
Total noob question, I know... I haven't used Android Studio before, but am definitely a computer guy... Very simply, can you show me how to just run a straight up terminal to type these commands without creating a new "app"...

I just have a lack of android coding experience, but if you tell me, I'll understand very quickly... :p

You don't need android studio to do any of this. Do you have ADB and fastboot installed? If you need help PM me.

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015

You don't need Android Studio, you just need adb and fastboot, your best bet is to search this forum for these two.

Reactions: tuckerwagner

lordpit

Dec 16, 2015
Installed supersu on 5.1.1 ... works perfect ! THX VERY MUCH!!

Attachments

• 2015-12-16_21h12_13.png
    2015-12-16_21h12_13.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,700

maratd

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the feedback

I believe it should be enough to flash the old fastboot, though I'm unsure about the preloader.
You are correct, the following could potentially brick your Fire, do at your own risk!
I have the old fastboot attatched to this post to flash it:
Code:
adb shell "dd if=/data/local/tmp/lk.bin of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/UBOOT"
adb reboot-bootloader

This bricked my fire on 5.1.1 ... do not do this! Here is what I did to brick it:

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot continue
adb reboot-bootloader

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
This bricked my fire on 5.1.1 ... do not do this! Here is what I did to brick it:

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot continue
adb reboot-bootloader

Damn can you still get into fastboot with VOL-DOWN + Power?

Maybe we also have to flash the older preloader

blueberry.sky

Aug 20, 2014
Does this mean that the bootloader is unlocked? With root we can now flash CM12.1 and GAPPS?
Bootloader is still locked. But if we can downgrade to the 5.0.1 fastboot bootloader then we can return to flashing CM12.1, SlimLP, gapps as we did before (temporarily loading twrp into memory then flashing rom).

klsystem1

Oct 1, 2014
Linz
CONFIRMED
(I tested it on a brand-new fire, that never came in touch with TWRP or a custom rom)

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot continue

Code:

If it works we can probably restore the old bootloader with "fastboot boot" support. :)

Is this all I habe to do, getting into the root shell or are there any more things to do for a root in my 5.1.1?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CONFIRMED

Confirmed, working:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot continue

Code:

To Flash SuperSU and make root persistent (thx @pappasmurfsharem):
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=42700

If you are still inside "adb shell" from the last command above type "exit" first.
    Or just skip the "adb shell" command above.

Code:
    adb remount
    # This Part reopened fastboot and I just re-ran the cmds from the first post in this thread #

fastboot continue

adb reboot
    Yes, we do need someone to test flashing the preloader+fastboot. That code is correct.

Here are quotes from the two people who tried flashing the bootloader ("lk") only, maratd & kleydejong. You can see that they did not flash the preloader.

Looks like I'm batting next as to flashing the preloader and fastboot together as mentioned in my code? I know this is a one in a million shot and I'm about to sacrifice my tablet to the Amazon Gods but IDGAF since I have another one coming Sunday via Amazon Prime's quick replacement service.

EDIT: I'm about to flash the preloader and fastboot together in one go...wish me luck.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

It's a no go flashing the preloader and fastboot...it bricked my device for good. The output said that both operations were successful, but after doing the bootloader-reboot my tablet went dead and is now bricked.

I hope this helps out anybody who's thinking that flashing both will give us the ability to launch TWRP. I don't mind donating this tablet to the Amazon Gods since my replacement arrives on Sunday, so that's why I went ahead and tried the flash mentioned earlier...I figured that was the closest we could get to be able to un-neuter fastboot and allow TWRP to be executed.
    Yep. :D Will be a day or two.

For rooted stock:

- Install custom launcher
    - Disable Fire launcher
    - scripts to switch between custom and Fire launchers
    (run from shortcut on launcher home screen)

- Move custom launcher to system/priv-apps (for widgets)

- Disable OTA

Not sure about doing an su install script since right now it relies on sh scripts written by someone else.

http://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695
    enjoy
    Thanks for the feedback

You are correct, the following could potentially brick your Fire, do at your own risk!
    I have the old fastboot attatched to this post to flash it:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot continue
    adb reboot-bootloader
    Great! Noob question warning -- I can get the root prompt but can't seem to install SuperSU. Can you tell us what commands you used from the terminal to do this? Also which file you used to install it (apk vs zip) and where they need to be placed? Thanks!!!

I just opened the root.bat from the other method in the 5.0.1 page and pasted the cmds manually in a cmd prompt

seems to have worked as I can use a terminal emulator and enter 'su' and get Superuser prompt

I believe it is/was more or less this

You will need the root_fire.zip from the other thread, and then open a command window in the folder where you extract those files.

adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot continue

fastboot continue

# after device reboots and you see it with 'adb devices' #

adb remount
    adb reboot