Relay 4G Hardware Reference Guide

Search This thread

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
I've only had my Relay a week and already it's been torn apart! But what's bad for warranties is good for you, because now I can make a hardware reference guide for this phone like I did for the Sidekick 4G.

As before, this is a work in progress and based on my own research. I'm not an expert on cell phone tech, so everything here is provided with no warranties. Please let me know if you notice any mistakes and I'll be happy to update this document. I'm particularly interested in better documentation for the various components, like in-house PDFs.

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G Specifications:

Released as T-Mobile exclusive on September 19th, 2012.
SGH-T699
FCC ID: A3LSGHT699

2G Network: GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
3G Network: UMTS/HSPA+ – 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
WiFi: 802.11A/B/G/N dual-band 2.4/5GHz
Bluetooth 4.0
Near Field Communication

CPU: 32-bit 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (ARM V7 Architecture)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 225
RAM: 1 Gigabyte DDR2
Flash: 8 Gigabytes, ~5GB available to user under stock ROM
MicroSD slot for expansion

Display: 4" Samsung SuperAMOLED screen @ 800x480 with Multi-Touch Capacitive Touchscreen. 16,777,216 colours
Keyboard: 5 row 52-key QWERTY keyboard with inverted-T arrow keys

Rear Camera: 5 Megapixel with LED flash
Front Camera: 1.3 Megapixel

Other Features:
Augmented GPS/GLONASS
Accelerometer/Gyroscope
Compass
Light sensor/Proximity sensor
Mobile High-Definition Link (HDMI)

Size: 4.96" x 2.56" x 0.53"
Weight: 5.6 Ounces
Power: 1800mAH Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery model EB-L1K6ILA with NFC antenna integrated.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...y_S_Relay_4G_English_User_Manual_UVLG8_F4.pdf - User manual

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Draft Users Manual.pdf - Early draft of user manual, submitted during FCC approval.

Hardware Details:

T3i_1180bs.jpg

0. Qualcomm MSM8260A Integrated Snapdragon S4 CPU, Adreno graphics core, UMTS modem, WiFi/Bluetooth backend, GPS/GLONASS receiver, DSP and USB controller
Marked:
Unknown
(Located under RAM IC as package-on-package)

1. Qualcomm WCD9310 "Tabla" Audio codec
Marked:
WCD9310
NCM218R1
A228002

2. Silicon Image SiI9244 MHL Transmitter
Marked:
SIMG
9244BO
NCS371A
10L2230

3. Samsung 8Gb (1GB) Low Power DDR2 DRAM
Marked:
Samsung 210
K3PE7E700D-XGC2
GKB2709U

4. Samsung 8GB NAND Flash
Marked:
Samsung 228
KLM8G2FE3B-B001
HHGX259X

5. Qualcomm HSPA+/CDMA2K/TDSCDMA/EDGE/GPS Transciever
Marked:
WTR1605
OVV
PHX403R1
AA22501

6. Qualcomm Dual-band Wi-Fi A/B/G/N, Bluetooth and FM Radios
Marked:
WCN3660
PGW541R1
A222002

7. Unknown
Marked:
SWt
GAD92

8. Anadigics Multimode Multiband Power Amplifier Module
Marked:
ALT6181
33945AC
1231PH

9. Anadigics AWT6624 UMTS1700 Power Amplifier
Marked:
6624R
4233AD
1230 PH

10. Anadigics AWT6622 UMTS1900 Power Amplifier
Marked:
6622R
4110AA
1228 PH

11. Invensense 6050 six-axis gyroscope/accelerometer
Marked:
Invensense
MPU-6050M
D2G554-K1
EI 1226 D

12. Qualcomm Power Management IC
PM8921
AD35130
f3228004

13. Analog Devices Mobile I/O Expander and QWERTY Keypad Controller
Marked:
ADP

14. Texas Instruments BQ24157 Lithium-Ion Battery Charger
Marked:
TI27A3JXI
BQ24157B

15. NXP PN544 Near Field Communication Controller
Marked:
10 05
NXD2314

16. Atmel MaXTouch mXT224E
Marked:
MXT224E
MAH-IR0
2W1315B

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Internal Photos.pdf - Photos of a prototype Relay submitted to the FCC for approval. Notice that the PCB, RF plate, keyboard frame and even the back cover have all been revised.

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Test Results.pdf - Results of FCC testing of the NFC radio.

Take Apart:

T3i_1115s.JPG

Start with the phone turned off.

T3i_1116s.JPG

Flip the phone onto its back and remove the battery, SIM card and MicroSD card.

T3i_1125s.JPG

Remove the 8 long screws around the edge of the phone and the two short screws in the battery bay using a fine-tipped Phillips screwdriver. Be sure not to mix these screws up when reassembling!

T1i_7794s.JPG

If available, use a thin nylon guitar pick for this next step. Metal tools will mar the plastic.

T3i_1131s.JPG

Unlike most Galaxy S devices, the seam between the inner back and the front case of the Relay 4G is not visible from the back of the device. Instead it is on the front, around the perimeter of the keyboard. Insert a thin prying tool here and gently unsnap the plastic halves.

T3i_1136s.JPG

Lift the back off.

T3i_1152s.JPG

Gently disconnect the headphone jack cable. This connector is very fragile, and should not be pried on with metal tools. Instead it should be gripped with fingernails and slowly pulled upward.

T3i_1147s.JPG

Disconnect the screen cable along the left side of the board. Like the headphone jack, this connector is fragile and must not by forced apart. Then remove the 5 short screws which hold the PCB to the front frame.

T3i_1161s.JPG

Gently lift the PCB upwards. There are clips around the edge which will need to be gently pressed to free the board.

T3i_1167s.JPG

If needed, the keyboard can now be removed. To separate the keyboard frame from the screen, remove the final screw and gently pull the plastic straight up. Be sure not to put undue stress on the screen cable. It is held to the keyboard frame in the gold plate, which is attached using double-sided tape.

I did not dismantle the screen section of my phone beyond this point, but further disassembly appears to be straight forward.

T3i_1176s.JPG

To continue dismantling the PCB, gently disconnect the camera and MicroSD card socket cables. As above, these connectors are delicate and must not be forced apart.

T3i_1170s.JPG

Remove the two screws on the keypad side of the PCB to unfasten the RF plate.

T3i_1178s.JPG

Lift the RF plate off of the PCB.

T3i_1180s.JPG

The PCB is now bare.

Assemble in reverse order.

The PDFs linked to in the above document are owned by their respective companies. All else is covered by the following:

fsg4u

Oct 7, 2006
Great thread.
Just wanted to share my picture of the broken 4G that I have.

So part of the flex cable is broken and the following things don't work anymore:
- Frontcamera
- lightsensor
- LED indicator
- normal phone speaker.

I ordered a new display that comes with a cable from here, to solve the problem, because I could't find the flex cable itself and T-Mobile didn't want to invoke a warranty case(I am in germany, that's the main reason)

Ciao fsg

Attachments

• K1600_DSC09128.jpg
    K1600_DSC09128.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 503

aragats

May 25, 2010
Colorado
GPS antenna

I'm not happy with my phone's GPS, the reception quality is really poor. I've found several threads discussing the problems with Samsung's phones' GPS antenna contacts, e.g. this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39570338

So I've disassembled my Relay and found those contacts after experimenting without any antenna attached. The picture is below.

I've gently bent the PCB contacts toward the rear panel to make sure they will touch the antenna pads with pressure. The GPS works much better now. In case if it'll not last long, there is a possibility to solder them with tiny copper wires.

Attachments

• gps_contacts.jpg
    gps_contacts.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 591

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
Great thread.

But does anyone have experience or insight they can share as to how to dismantle/reassemble the front fascia/housing surrounding the screen.

Mine is mashed up and needs replacing, my replacement housing arrives tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ToniCipriani

Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
Last edited:

aragats

May 25, 2010
Colorado
Just received my Relay yesterday, planning to do some surgery on it to add Palm Touchstone charging to it.

I can't really tell from the photos if it's a separate board, but I found this on eBay:

<link>

I don't want to solder on the original parts so if that's the right part I'll grab one and solder on that instead?

Thanks.
I don't think it's related to Palm Touchstone in anyway, from the link you posted:

...OEM USB charging For Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G T-mobile SGH-T699
...3. Replace your broken, damaged, cracked, unusable

So, by my understanding it's just a replacement board for the regular USB charging.

The wireless charging is not possible without a special "antenna" - a coil regularly attached to the back cover, e.g. see:
www ebay com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Wireless-Charging-Back-Cover-Touchstone-Dock-White-/161017497675
(please replace spaces with dots, I can't post links at the moment)

ToniCipriani

Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
I don't think it's related to Palm Touchstone in anyway, from the link you posted:

...OEM USB charging For Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G T-mobile SGH-T699
...3. Replace your broken, damaged, cracked, unusable

So, by my understanding it's just a replacement board for the regular USB charging.

The wireless charging is not possible without a special "antenna" - a coil regularly attached to the back cover, e.g. see:
www ebay com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Wireless-Charging-Back-Cover-Touchstone-Dock-White-/161017497675
(please replace spaces with dots, I can't post links at the moment)

No no, that's not what I'm getting it for. I just want to make sure that is indeed the USB board for our phones, since the pictures seem to indicate the port is actually on the main PCB. If it is a separate board, I rather solder on a separate piece rather than the one that's on the phone.

I'm scavenging the coil from my old Pre, then tapping the volt line into USB. That's how it was done on the Nexus S and EVO 4G.

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
For future reference, that auction is NOT for the Relay. It's for some random phone. The Relay's USB port is soldered straight to the mainboard. Anyone with a broken USB port should NOT order that one from eBay.

Reactions: ToniCipriani

aragats

May 25, 2010
Colorado
GPS antenna

I'm not happy with my phone's GPS, the reception quality is really poor.
So I've disassembled my Relay and found those contacts after experimenting without any antenna attached.
I've gently bent the PCB contacts toward the rear panel to make sure they will touch the antenna pads with pressure. The GPS works much better now. In case if it'll not last long, there is a possibility to solder them with tiny copper wires.

Replying my own post just to confirm: after extensively using the phone's GPS the last 4 days in wildernesses (without any data channel available) I can confirm, that there is a HUGE difference between "before" and "after". Now GPS locks satellites in 2-3 seconds, I had no problems in deep forests and narrow canyons.

Reactions: C3POID

Brotzeithasser

Jan 14, 2014
I've only had my Relay a week and already it's been torn apart! But what's bad for warranties is good for you, because now I can make a hardware reference guide for this phone like I did for the Sidekick 4G.

Thanks for the great guide!

I experienced that after some drops the screen-unit and the keyboard-unit of the device get more and more loose. One unpleasant effect is, that if the slider is closed and I tap the screen, the screen unit yields a bit due to a too big gap between screen unit and keyboard unit. It rattles, when I write s.th. on the virtual keyboard.

I did not understand from the guide, which screws I have to tighten, to solve this issue. I'd be very grateful for any ideas.
Thanks!

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
Great thread.

So part of the flex cable is broken and the following things don't work anymore:
- Frontcamera
- lightsensor
- LED indicator
- normal phone speaker.

I ordered a new display that comes with a cable from here, to solve the problem, because I could't find the flex cable itself and T-Mobile didn't want to invoke a warranty case(I am in germany, that's the main reason)

Ciao fsg

Please, do you remember having relay dissasembled? Is it possible to change the display flex cable from other device (e.g. with cracked display)?

Thank you very much for you answer, I'm having probably the same problem with the relay (too much keyboard opening I suppose...)

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
The way I've seen these sold in the past is the LCD and digitizer is sold as one unit and replaced as such, here
http://www.sinomobileparts.com/for-...ay-touch-digitizer-screen-assembly_p4624.html
So if you want to swap this out of another relay it should work fine, the main flex cable is separate than the cable coming from the screen

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thank you for your answer. So I could eventually replace the main flex cable from a unit with broken screen? Do I get it right?
But I will take a risk anyway, as I only suppose it's the main flex cable problem.

Is there a possibility that by opening/closing the keybard other parts are bended or stressed? Or would you guess it's main flex cable problem for sure?

Thanks

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Guess is the main flex, and yes you can swap parts from another relay but maybe do a little digging first around the net to see if anyone sells only what you need as it may be cheaper
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sorgo

Jun 18, 2010
Hi!

Could somebody help me to find Main Flex Cable for Relay with worldwide shipping? I would be very grateful.

Hi I was desperate a month ago, as my relay display gone blank for good after going blank in some specific position, due to the main flex cable. That's the Achilles heel of this phone. I was considering buying a device with broken screen and replacing it, but ended up waiting for a brand new one (unused). That decision came because now I'll have one device full of spare parts for any case.

Reactions: linoskoczek

linoskoczek

Jan 21, 2013
Hi I was desperate a month ago, as my relay display gone blank for good after going blank in some specific position, due to the main flex cable. That's the Achilles heel of this phone. I was considering buying a device with broken screen and replacing it, but ended up waiting for a brand new one (unused). That decision came because now I'll have one device full of spare parts for any case.

Didn't you consider to buy main flex cable itself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As before, this is a work in progress and based on my own research. I'm not an expert on cell phone tech, so everything here is provided with no warranties. Please let me know if you notice any mistakes and I'll be happy to update this document. I'm particularly interested in better documentation for the various components, like in-house PDFs.

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G Specifications:

Released as T-Mobile exclusive on September 19th, 2012.
    SGH-T699
    FCC ID: A3LSGHT699

2G Network: GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    3G Network: UMTS/HSPA+ – 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
    WiFi: 802.11A/B/G/N dual-band 2.4/5GHz
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Near Field Communication

CPU: 32-bit 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (ARM V7 Architecture)
    GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 225
    RAM: 1 Gigabyte DDR2
    Flash: 8 Gigabytes, ~5GB available to user under stock ROM
    MicroSD slot for expansion

Display: 4" Samsung SuperAMOLED screen @ 800x480 with Multi-Touch Capacitive Touchscreen. 16,777,216 colours
    Keyboard: 5 row 52-key QWERTY keyboard with inverted-T arrow keys

Rear Camera: 5 Megapixel with LED flash
    Front Camera: 1.3 Megapixel

Other Features:
    Augmented GPS/GLONASS
    Accelerometer/Gyroscope
    Compass
    Light sensor/Proximity sensor
    Mobile High-Definition Link (HDMI)

Size: 4.96" x 2.56" x 0.53"
    Weight: 5.6 Ounces
    Power: 1800mAH Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery model EB-L1K6ILA with NFC antenna integrated.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...y_S_Relay_4G_English_User_Manual_UVLG8_F4.pdf - User manual

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Draft Users Manual.pdf - Early draft of user manual, submitted during FCC approval.

Hardware Details:

T3i_1180bs.jpg

0. Qualcomm MSM8260A Integrated Snapdragon S4 CPU, Adreno graphics core, UMTS modem, WiFi/Bluetooth backend, GPS/GLONASS receiver, DSP and USB controller
    Marked:
    Unknown
    (Located under RAM IC as package-on-package)

1. Qualcomm WCD9310 "Tabla" Audio codec
    Marked:
    WCD9310
    NCM218R1
    A228002

2. Silicon Image SiI9244 MHL Transmitter
    Marked:
    SIMG
    9244BO
    NCS371A
    10L2230

3. Samsung 8Gb (1GB) Low Power DDR2 DRAM
    Marked:
    Samsung 210
    K3PE7E700D-XGC2
    GKB2709U

4. Samsung 8GB NAND Flash
    Marked:
    Samsung 228
    KLM8G2FE3B-B001
    HHGX259X

5. Qualcomm HSPA+/CDMA2K/TDSCDMA/EDGE/GPS Transciever
    Marked:
    WTR1605
    OVV
    PHX403R1
    AA22501

6. Qualcomm Dual-band Wi-Fi A/B/G/N, Bluetooth and FM Radios
    Marked:
    WCN3660
    PGW541R1
    A222002

7. Unknown
    Marked:
    SWt
    GAD92

8. Anadigics Multimode Multiband Power Amplifier Module
    Marked:
    ALT6181
    33945AC
    1231PH

9. Anadigics AWT6624 UMTS1700 Power Amplifier
    Marked:
    6624R
    4233AD
    1230 PH

10. Anadigics AWT6622 UMTS1900 Power Amplifier
    Marked:
    6622R
    4110AA
    1228 PH

11. Invensense 6050 six-axis gyroscope/accelerometer
    Marked:
    Invensense
    MPU-6050M
    D2G554-K1
    EI 1226 D

12. Qualcomm Power Management IC
    PM8921
    AD35130
    f3228004

13. Analog Devices Mobile I/O Expander and QWERTY Keypad Controller
    Marked:
    ADP

14. Texas Instruments BQ24157 Lithium-Ion Battery Charger
    Marked:
    TI27A3JXI
    BQ24157B

15. NXP PN544 Near Field Communication Controller
    Marked:
    10 05
    NXD2314

16. Atmel MaXTouch mXT224E
    Marked:
    MXT224E
    MAH-IR0
    2W1315B

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Internal Photos.pdf - Photos of a prototype Relay submitted to the FCC for approval. Notice that the PCB, RF plate, keyboard frame and even the back cover have all been revised.

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Test Results.pdf - Results of FCC testing of the NFC radio.

Take Apart:

T3i_1115s.JPG

Start with the phone turned off.

T3i_1116s.JPG

Flip the phone onto its back and remove the battery, SIM card and MicroSD card.

T3i_1125s.JPG

Remove the 8 long screws around the edge of the phone and the two short screws in the battery bay using a fine-tipped Phillips screwdriver. Be sure not to mix these screws up when reassembling!

T1i_7794s.JPG

If available, use a thin nylon guitar pick for this next step. Metal tools will mar the plastic.

T3i_1131s.JPG

Unlike most Galaxy S devices, the seam between the inner back and the front case of the Relay 4G is not visible from the back of the device. Instead it is on the front, around the perimeter of the keyboard. Insert a thin prying tool here and gently unsnap the plastic halves.

T3i_1136s.JPG

Lift the back off.

T3i_1152s.JPG

Gently disconnect the headphone jack cable. This connector is very fragile, and should not be pried on with metal tools. Instead it should be gripped with fingernails and slowly pulled upward.

T3i_1147s.JPG

Disconnect the screen cable along the left side of the board. Like the headphone jack, this connector is fragile and must not by forced apart. Then remove the 5 short screws which hold the PCB to the front frame.

T3i_1161s.JPG

Gently lift the PCB upwards. There are clips around the edge which will need to be gently pressed to free the board.

T3i_1167s.JPG

If needed, the keyboard can now be removed. To separate the keyboard frame from the screen, remove the final screw and gently pull the plastic straight up. Be sure not to put undue stress on the screen cable. It is held to the keyboard frame in the gold plate, which is attached using double-sided tape.

I did not dismantle the screen section of my phone beyond this point, but further disassembly appears to be straight forward.

T3i_1176s.JPG

To continue dismantling the PCB, gently disconnect the camera and MicroSD card socket cables. As above, these connectors are delicate and must not be forced apart.

T3i_1170s.JPG

Remove the two screws on the keypad side of the PCB to unfasten the RF plate.

T3i_1178s.JPG

Lift the RF plate off of the PCB.

T3i_1180s.JPG

The PCB is now bare.

Assemble in reverse order.

The PDFs linked to in the above document are owned by their respective companies. All else is covered by the following:

Beyong the guide in OP - replacing the flex cable

Hi guys,

As I wrote before, many many thanks @Jax184 for this great guide. It helped me to disassembly the device with no fear :)

I mentioned before, I noticed one day, that the screen does no turn on always when I open the device. It was an issue of the flex cable. To fix this, I had to replace the cable - disassembling a bit beyond the steps described in the guide in OP.

Enjoy!

LWV0194l.jpg

The cable arrived, fresh and shiny! :) Once again, thanks to @cortina1970 for posting the ebay link.

Here is the step where original guide ends.

o3m7g3jl.jpg

The cable is sticked to the plastic part. You have to remove it by force, I used the sharp tool on next picture. Be careful not to break the plastic part.

rLG5FTVl.jpg

The flex cable is now detached from the sliding part

g6m4SkYl.jpg

To open the display part, you need to take out 4 screws around and gently open it (I managed to do it just with my nail).

qaL5V5yl.jpg

Opened display part with old cable.

OSB2OtKl.jpg

Take up the vynil and gently remove the flex cable from the board

mg01ZLMl.jpg

Poor old cable with its replacement

Assemble in reverse order :)

SNFpaYUl.jpg

And here's the old cable, cut from side. The symptoms were: the display part absolutely not working (display, notification led, sound, nothing at all). So I assume, it's the side where the power is.

Thanks again all who helped. I'm happy to have a backup device, as there's no better qwerty android around.

PS: high res link: http://imgur.com/a/7Ji9a
    Great thread.

- Frontcamera
    - lightsensor
    - LED indicator
    - normal phone speaker.

Ciao fsg
    For future reference, that auction is NOT for the Relay. It's for some random phone. The Relay's USB port is soldered straight to the mainboard. Anyone with a broken USB port should NOT order that one from eBay.
    GPS antenna

I'm not happy with my phone's GPS, the reception quality is really poor.
    So I've disassembled my Relay and found those contacts after experimenting without any antenna attached.

Replying my own post just to confirm: after extensively using the phone's GPS the last 4 days in wildernesses (without any data channel available) I can confirm, that there is a HUGE difference between "before" and "after". Now GPS locks satellites in 2-3 seconds, I had no problems in deep forests and narrow canyons.