[How-To] Install any 2.x ROM in a CID-Locked G3 or G4 Wizard

Search This thread

machtinz

Jul 13, 2006
Problems with my T-Mobile-de MDA Vario G4

Hi all,

i can do whatever i want - can't get it working.

I used this tutorial (which is really good - thank you). Everything seems to work fine until it comes to the rom update itself.
The rom updater don't get the right version of my installed rom (says i have 1.2.0.0)
When i continue anyway, it boots my device in this nice colored screen and aborts at 0% with error code [260].
After rebooting the device, nothing has changed.

With the original t-mobile rom it shows me the right rom version on my device and everything works fine - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

napbird

Jun 28, 2006
It's working! Thank you very much risidoro!

I had one issue which was the address of OS changed to 82040000 and flashing would stop at 50%. Once set it to the correct address 80040000 it works flawlessly:)

One question is: I cannot upgrade to RUU_Dopod_Wizard_2231301_225_22313101_ship_full_CHS which I found on the ftp server. The flashing succeeded but when it's rebooted the OS wasn't upgraded, only extended rom was overwritten. I've tried to flash the OS only and it's the same result. Any thoughts?

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Re: Problems with my T-Mobile-de MDA Vario G4

machtinz said:
Hi all,

I used this tutorial (which is really good - thank you). Everything seems to work fine until it comes to the rom update itself.
The rom updater don't get the right version of my installed rom (says i have 1.2.0.0)
When i continue anyway, it boots my device in this nice colored screen and aborts at 0% with error code [260].

With the original t-mobile rom it shows me the right rom version on my device and everything works fine - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The rom updater (RUU) is behaving normally, it reports version 1.2.0.0 'cos it's been hacked: the RUU no more checks the phone version, it goes straight to rom upgrade (and always reports version 1.2.0.0 whichever rom is, actually, installed).

The readme.doc (in ruu.rar archive) identify Error 260 as an OPEN PORTS error. I don't know exactly what it means though. Try resetting both your phone and your PC before attempting the upgrade. Also, close every running program that can be listening on some ports: antivirus, firewall, browser, p2p downloaders (emule, etc) and any other server or client program. Use only activesync 4.1 or 4.2, do not use version 4.0!!!

Let me know,
good luck,
Isidoro

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
napbird said:
It's working! Thank you very much risidoro!

I had one issue which was the address of OS changed to 82040000 and flashing would stop at 50%. Once set it to the correct address 80040000 it works flawlessly:)

One question is: I cannot upgrade to RUU_Dopod_Wizard_2231301_225_22313101_ship_full_CHS which I found on the ftp server. The flashing succeeded but when it's rebooted the OS wasn't upgraded, only extended rom was overwritten. I've tried to flash the OS only and it's the same result. Any thoughts?

I don't know why you're having this problem with the CHS rom. Note that it is not an original rom (it contains an hacked RUU so it has been cooked by someone) so there could be some errors in it. Try downloading the official rom from dopod website (i have not the address unluckily).

Bye,
Isidoro

PS: what RomUpgradeUtility did you use? You must use the RUU that i posted in this thread (ruu.rar); do not use the one that's inside the rom (even if it is an hacked RUU too). RUU version should be 2.5.2. Bye

minirx7

Jun 18, 2006
judycao said:
is there someone teach how to flash a modfied ROM on SPL 2.21.0001 Wizard .thanks very much

Yes someone can teach you...

Its in the guide.. If you follow everything line by line, you will have NO PROBLEMS.

I had the exact same SPL as yourself. 2.21.0001.

Now i am running Mr. Clean ROM with an IPL/SPL of 2.21.0001

judycao

Jan 15, 2006
minirx7 said:
judycao said:
is there someone teach how to flash a modfied ROM on SPL 2.21.0001 Wizard .thanks very much

Yes someone can teach you...

Its in the guide.. If you follow everything line by line, you will have NO PROBLEMS.

I had the exact same SPL as yourself. 2.21.0001.

Now i am running Mr. Clean ROM with an IPL/SPL of 2.21.0001

use this tools:ftp://ftp.xda-developers.com/Wizard/Roms/Wizard_RomUpgradeUtility_noID.rar

or http://xdaforums.com/download.php?id=13109
My modfied ROM don't include IPL and SPL ,can't do it ?

napbird

Jun 28, 2006
Hi risidoro, I did use your RUU. In fact I just extracted nk.nbf, took OS part and built a new nk.nbf using your tools. Maybe this rom is not a good one at all :?

Anyway thanks to you and I'm happy to be able to flash it with Mr. Clean. :D

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
napbird said:
Hi risidoro, I did use your RUU. In fact I just extracted nk.nbf, took OS part and built a new nk.nbf using your tools. Maybe this rom is not a good one at all :?

Anyway thanks to you and I'm happy to be able to flash it with Mr. Clean. :D

I'll keep you informed if i find something new.

BTW: RUU files, typho5.exe and nb2nbf are NOT my tools!!! I didn't create them. I just took them and posted in this thread. They were developed by the great programmers that populate this forum. I don't remember exactly who made what but you should thank: mamaich, buzz_lightyear, itsme, machinagod, vijay555, faria and some others!!! THANK YOU GUYS!

Bye

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
Im happily using my Mr Clean 2,24 (with tmobile) since using the excellent tools and guide here..
My question is there a better ROM or do i have the best one for now?

jazzster

Jun 22, 2006
Hi, has anyone done this with the latest Cingular 2.25 rom? I saw in the beginning of the post that it couldn't be done or something so could someone confirm?

thanks

machtinz

Jul 13, 2006
Re: Problems with my T-Mobile-de MDA Vario G4

risidoro said:
machtinz said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

The rom updater (RUU) is behaving normally, it reports version 1.2.0.0 'cos it's been hacked: the RUU no more checks the phone version, it goes straight to rom upgrade (and always reports version 1.2.0.0 whichever rom is, actually, installed).

The readme.doc (in ruu.rar archive) identify Error 260 as an OPEN PORTS error. I don't know exactly what it means though. Try resetting both your phone and your PC before attempting the upgrade. Also, close every running program that can be listening on some ports: antivirus, firewall, browser, p2p downloaders (emule, etc) and any other server or client program. Use only activesync 4.1 or 4.2, do not use version 4.0!!!

Let me know,
good luck,
Isidoro

Hi,
i'm using active sync 4.2 and also with disabled firewall, av, ... it didn't work anyway. :(
I will try it on another pc with a naked OS when i have some time...

Thank you for your assistance!
Machtinz

roniez

Jul 20, 2006
Stockholm
OK

here is the deal

I got a T-Mobile MDA VARIO (unlocked with ime-check)
IPL: 2.21.0001
SPL: 2.21.0001
GSM: 02.19.11
Rom Vers: 2.21.2.25 NLD
extRom vers: 2.21.2.108
Protocol: 4.1.13.09

And i am trying to use the MRclean RUU Wizard 2240001a_aku23wwe.zip
It gives me error 300, anybody got an idea on why this is happening?
Anybody have an idea on what rom i should use?

The reason i am trying to flash it is becuase i bought in in holland, but i dont know dutch so i would like it in english or sve if possible.
Anybody got any suggestion?

I was considering cooking the MRclean 2240001a_aku23
but i cant figure out what to put in the OEM Version
and Operator Version
should it be 2.24
or 2.21 as i have?

Please Help! this is very important to me.

_skid_

Jul 20, 2006
Hi all,
I have a WHI200
rom ver 1.3.7.16 ITA
radio 01.04.10
protocol ver 4.0.13.17
extrom ver 1.3.7.107
ipl 1.03
spl 1.06

It's a good thing make an update or are my firmware version installed enough young ?

If a ROM update it's a good choice, which will be the positive issues to do it?
Thks

Blinks.....
SKID

badersk

Jun 30, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
pre check my work?

I have followed the instructions up to the point of actually flashing the rom.
I only did the os and extension rom. I have the latest radio version which works very well. Is there anyway or anyone that could check my work before I do this?

Oh and I used the aku2.3 for cingular from summiter

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
roniez said:
OK

here is the deal

I got a T-Mobile MDA VARIO (unlocked with ime-check)
IPL: 2.21.0001
SPL: 2.21.0001
GSM: 02.19.11
Rom Vers: 2.21.2.25 NLD
extRom vers: 2.21.2.108
Protocol: 4.1.13.09

And i am trying to use the MRclean RUU Wizard 2240001a_aku23wwe.zip
It gives me error 300, anybody got an idea on why this is happening?
Anybody have an idea on what rom i should use?

The reason i am trying to flash it is becuase i bought in in holland, but i dont know dutch so i would like it in english or sve if possible.
Anybody got any suggestion?

I was considering cooking the MRclean 2240001a_aku23
but i cant figure out what to put in the OEM Version
and Operator Version
should it be 2.24
or 2.21 as i have?

Please Help! this is very important to me.

ROM MRclean RUU Wizard 2240001a_aku23wwe.zip that you tried to install CONTAINS both IPL and SPL so you can install it ONLY if you have previously CID unlocked your phone.
Even if you CID unlocked it, i STRONGLY suggest you to cook a new rom (following the tutorial) WITHOUT the IPL and SPL parts: it's the safest way and you won't risk to brick your device.

As for the OEM version and the Operator version, you should put the version number you're going to install (2.24 for MrClean).
Anyway, those two field are NOT important at all, that is: you can put whatever number you like, they don't influence the upgrade process at all (however, even if not mandatory, it is advisable to use the version number of the rom you're going to install).

bye

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
_skid_ said:
Hi all,
I have a WHI200
rom ver 1.3.7.16 ITA
radio 01.04.10
protocol ver 4.0.13.17
extrom ver 1.3.7.107
ipl 1.03
spl 1.06

It's a good thing make an update or are my firmware version installed enough young ?

If a ROM update it's a good choice, which will be the positive issues to do it?

If you like archeology then you can keep using the rom you have. The same applies if you're still using Ms Dos 4.0 on your PC or if you think that the USA are still a british colony.

If, on the other hand, you're aware of the year you're living in, then an upgrade is STRONGLY advised.

But, please note that: THE TUTORIAL POSTED IN THIS THREAD DOESN'T APPLY TO YOUR PHONE!!! DON'T FOLLOW IT!!!

Since you're still using a 1.x rom then you must:

- Search (in the forum) and download the tool: LokiWiz 0.2b

- CID unlock your phone. You're one of the few lucky persons that can still do it freely. Most of the phones sold nowadays are no more CID-unlockable (and my tutorial should be used by those, unlucky, guys)

- Install whichever rom you like (except MrClean 2.24.0001; but you can install the plain MrClean 2.24). You won't need any rom hacking or cooking: you're a lucky man!

Remember, ROM upgrade is strongly (IMHO) advisable. Newer roms are ways more stable, fast, capable (they have Direct push technology, Bluetooth stereo, and a lot of bug fixes).

Mind, however, that upgrading also means losing all the installed programs, settings and data stored in My Documents folder. An upgrade is like a hard reset: you'll have to reinstall everything!!!

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Re: pre check my work?

badersk said:
I have followed the instructions up to the point of actually flashing the rom.
I only did the os and extension rom. I have the latest radio version which works very well. Is there anyway or anyone that could check my work before I do this?

Oh and I used the aku2.3 for cingular from summiter

HOW TO CHECK YOUR NK.NBF FILE BEFORE FLASHING TO YOUR PHONE:

- Download the archive NbfTool04.rar i'm attaching.

- Extract the executable NbfTool04.exe that's inside the archive

- Double click on it to start the program

- Go to File -> Open NBF... and select the file nk.nbf you've cooked

- Check if all the information are correct. Pay special attention to OS address, it's called wdata start inside the program. It must be 80040000 and NOT 82040000!!!

machtinz

Jul 13, 2006
success: Re: Problems with my T-Mobile-de MDA Vario G4

machtinz said:
risidoro said:
machtinz said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Let me know,
good luck,
Isidoro

Hi,
i'm using active sync 4.2 and also with disabled firewall, av, ... it didn't work anyway. :(
I will try it on another pc with a naked OS when i have some time...

Thank you for your assistance!
Machtinz

Tried it on a naked machine yesterday and everything works fine on first attempt :D
Only thing i' wondering about is the fact that i tried it on 3 different pcs before without luck :?
Nevertheless, i now have my G4 Wizard flashed with Mr. Clean ROM, so once more many thanks to you for this tutorial!

Machtinz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    a few days ago i wrote on this forum that i had been able to install an italian ROM on a G4, CID-Locked Wizard. Since then, i've received several mails and PM from users asking me how i did. Instead of replying each one, i though it was better to write a tutorial and post it here for everyone to read/comment/correct it.

Here it is. Together with the tools you'll need to perform the update.

PS: in this tutorial i'm not explaining how to CID-UNlock a G4 or G3 (>= 2.21) phone. There is not yet a way to CID unlock these phones. I'm just describing how to circumvent the CID-lock problem by installing a ROM deprived of the IPL and SPL parts.

DISCLAIMER: THE PROCEDURE I’M GOING TO EXPLAIN DEALS WITH ROM ‘COOKING’ AND THUS IT MAY CAUSE SEVERE DATA LOSS OR EVEN IRREMEDIABLY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE!
    THE AUTHOR, NOR EVERY OTHER PERSON INVOLVED (E.G. THE ROM TOOLS DEVELOPERS), SHALL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MALFUNCTIONS OR DAMAGES THIS PROCEDURE MAY CAUSE.

By following this tutorial, you're removing both the bootloaders (IPL and SPL) from a rom of your choice. This means that, if you don't make errors while 'cooking' the rom, you cannot completely destroy (brick) your phone. Sure, you could end up with a non-booting rom but, as long as you can get to the three colors screen (the bootloader screen) you'll always be able to install a different (or your previous) working rom.

On the other hand, messing with IPL and SPL (i.e. installing a rom containing IPL and SPL in a CID locked device) is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and MUST be avoided in most cases!!!

Installing a 2.xx rom without messing with your phone's IPL and SPL is exactly what this tutorial tries to explain.

NEVER INSTALL ROMS OR FOLLOW TUTORIALS IF YOU'RE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!
    ALWAYS ASK BEFORE PROCEEDING! A SIMPLE QUESTION MAY SAVE YOUR PHONE FROM DEATH!