Cyanogenmod for mediatek devices

Search This thread

bucefal82

Nov 16, 2012
Ryazan
bucefalportal.ru
Hey guys, We are going to try something new for our china phones - cyanogenmod.

But we need some more devs to get everything going.

For now we have:

-Github tree for Lenovo P700i(mediatek 6577, android 4.0.4, kernel 3.0.8)

-Lens_flare - original port author(may work with system folder and configs)

-some kernel source from other devices like liquid gallant

The main problem is getting adb to work that could help a lot on remaining development. For now even zygote not starting, but all partitions seems mounted successfully.

We need more devs (especially that could assemble working kernel for device), working with p700i may lead to following porting for other mtk devices, as sources are nearly the same.

Last edited:

bucefal82

Nov 16, 2012
Ryazan
bucefalportal.ru
We've done our best to deliver robust and delicious custom roms to our device (even using andrea or some other work [which are great], but, well.. android is opensource in the end :p).

We hope you could help us with cm development (mostly on kernel part).

At last it would be great to see some light in the mtk darkness..

FenixxPl

Mar 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm trying to start working on CM for MTK6589 device. (Star S7589)
Kernel sources (for normal Android) can be found (has been released by Acer few weeks ago), but the biggest problem is the "device" folder.
I've written e-mails to few producers (ZOPO, Cubot, THL), and even that I've gotten replies from ZOPO and THL, they don't want to share anything, nor the kernel, nor any other sources.

If you'll get to something, please post it here, or pm me, and if I'd make any step I'll also keep you informed.

dmplot

Jan 21, 2010
Maybe it would be a good idea to sign a petition to Lenovo to "open the source code for the device"? 4pda russian forum would participate in signing such petition. And I assume there will be much more other communities / forums where we can spread this information to join us!

There are two steps to do this:

1. What is a petition website preferrable for such action?
2. To prepare the text for the petition which would be technically correct and would cover all the aspects we are waiting from Lenovo.

Anyone to take responsibilities for any paragraph?

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

1. What is a petition website preferrable for such action?

As an example of petition I looked at the "Give us Ice Cream Sandwich for HTC Desire HD".

So, the petition site I think is chosen. It is http://www.ipetitions.com/

So, who will take care of technically correct statement for the petition?

There is one more issue: the channels for such information spread. As to my thoughts it might be:

1. xda developers (of course),
2. 4pda russian forum,
3. Lenovo russian forum,
4. Please propose more...

Reactions: Bhargav97

Damag3

Feb 24, 2011
Ericeira
sociedade-anonima.com
This is great, i´m a ZTE v970 MT6577 owner and love the idea. I have kernel for ZTE Grand X V970 already uploaded to github and download the android sources and CM to start building.

The problem is im not a dev or have any kind of formation so I dont know if Im doing rigth. But i will try

I build a cm from scratch to my htc wildfire but I just had to do the steps of the CM tutorials.

Sorry for my inglish

Reactions: ayaan2frozen

kthz

Jan 27, 2009
Good luck to you guys, i was lurking on XDA just to search for a few optimizations for my MTK6589 phone (HDC). This quadcore cpu is spreading like wildfire among chinese phones due to its low price, so hopefully you will get some good help for getting started.

FenixxPl

Mar 10, 2013
Short update on the topic:

1. I've made working TWRP recovery for mine Star.
I had to rip it a bit (awfully small recovery partition), but it looks like it's 90-95% working, just without partitioning possibilities. (But backups/recovery of them fully works, as same as other TWRP functions, and offcourse it's all operated by touch.)

2. I've compiled CM10.1, but it doesn't start, so here there is really a lot of work in front.

Xado

Nov 11, 2012
hey guys I kinda ported cm7 on my mt6575 phone well I luckly got it booted up but only the thing was I was not able to go pass the lockscreen its some thing to do with some touch screen drivers only my power button worked any one know how to deal with the touch screen drivers ?

nathan-96

Apr 13, 2012
The Hague
Short update on the topic:

1. I've made working TWRP recovery for mine Star.
I had to rip it a bit (awfully small recovery partition), but it looks like it's 90-95% working, just without partitioning possibilities. (But backups/recovery of them fully works, as same as other TWRP functions, and offcourse it's all operated by touch.)

2. I've compiled CM10.1, but it doesn't start, so here there is really a lot of work in front.

Maybe its better to start with CM9 or CM10, since Mediatek (ours) does not support JellyBean 4.2 yet. So getting CM10 on it would be freaking hard.

ShadyGame

Feb 20, 2010
I also have a mtk phone, i would like to run cyanogend on it one day, iam no developer, im just gonna sit back and watch :) good luck

FenixxPl

Mar 10, 2013
LPCRJ™ - Congrats! That's something, I'd say that even something really big, because noone else had even got to that point.
If you can, please share your sources (device/vendor catalogues) on github, then we'll be able to help you more :)

nathan-96 - Mine has got JellyBean (4.2.1), that's why i try to port the CM10.1, also I'm not sure if kernel 3.4.5 will work with CM9 and I haven't got any other to work on.
Still, mine CM isn't even going past first boot screen, even using hints from Lenovo P700 sources.

Reactions: yash151294 and Xado

nathan-96

Apr 13, 2012
The Hague
LPCRJ™ - Congrats! That's something, I'd say that even something really big, because noone else had even got to that point.
If you can, please share your sources (device/vendor catalogues) on github, then we'll be able to help you more :)

nathan-96 - Mine has got JellyBean (4.2.1), that's why i try to port the CM10.1, also I'm not sure if kernel 3.4.5 will work with CM9 and I haven't got any other to work on.
Still, mine CM isn't even going past first boot screen, even using hints from Lenovo P700 sources.

Sorry I thought you had the same mediatek processor as the op, but I read that you have one that, apperiantly, supports JellyBean 4.2. Its indeed a big step.
But we need Logcat's to see why its not passing bootscreen, because you might be closer than everyone's thinking right know.

amardeepsingh77

Oct 11, 2010
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Xolo Q800 / Fly IQ446 / Gionee GN708W Kernel

Hi friends, I was able to get my hands on the kernel for Xolo Q800 / Fly IQ446 / Gionee GN708W Kernel which are essentially the same phone. They run JB 4.2.1 today, though the kernel is based on 4.1.2. Will this suffice or do we need anything more to get CM working.

http://yadi.sk/d/-zrdnTk_4Iy7c

All these phones are Quadcore MT6589 1.2 GHz processors with 1 GB ram and 4 GB flash. And, roms of these phones can run on each other.

Thanks

FenixxPl

Mar 10, 2013
amardeepsingh77 - You're my god!
There is literally everything in that source, the "device" catalogue, prebuilder scripts, complete kernel sources, it's kind of unbelieveable!
Now we are possible to really get to work, not just move in the dark :)

Xado

Nov 11, 2012
yo guys I was trying to port cm7 but I really wanted to port cm9 so I left porting cm7 because my phone is already running gingerbread here is a thread I found http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2246892 he have actually ported cm9 to mt6575 processor phone though I don't have this phone but I think porting to other mtk phone might become easy using his ways I flashed it on my phone but I had a bootloop I try editing stuff but no success. thanks to PdroidAndroid

Last edited:
Reactions: ashwin1212

bucefal82

Nov 16, 2012
Ryazan
bucefalportal.ru
It seems to me that for a start, and 9 will do.
For at least that is what I can bude customize.
Yes and no need for the device in 512 MB, 4.2.

Also, can anyone have an idea for $ agree to help?

Мне кажется что для начала и 9 сойдёт.
Ибо хоть что то буде что можно будет кастомизировать.
Да и не нужен на девайсах в 512 мб ,4.2.

Также есть идея может кто за $ согласиться помочь?

FenixxPl

Mar 10, 2013
Next update from the field:

However sources from amardeepsingh77 are awesome, it'll take a lot of time to succeed the build.
Our MTK devices can't be compiled like all others Android devices, because we can't simply use ./build/envsetup.sh, we've got to use makeMtk, and it's got a lot of annoying stuff.
Without that we can't build preloader, and without it I don't think any Cyan or other rom will work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, We are going to try something new for our china phones - cyanogenmod.

But we need some more devs to get everything going.

For now we have:

-Github tree for Lenovo P700i(mediatek 6577, android 4.0.4, kernel 3.0.8)

-Lens_flare - original port author(may work with system folder and configs)

-some kernel source from other devices like liquid gallant

The main problem is getting adb to work that could help a lot on remaining development. For now even zygote not starting, but all partitions seems mounted successfully.

We need more devs (especially that could assemble working kernel for device), working with p700i may lead to following porting for other mtk devices, as sources are nearly the same.
    Lollipop on MT6577

Hi there .

Just to let you know, that lollipop is now booting on ZTE v970 [MT6577- w/ ComBo-Chip MT6620]
    With my custom 3.4.67 KK Kernel + some cherry-picks from the new MTK 3.10.54 LL Kernel

Still very early, baseband is recognized , but still needs a lot more work on Telephony, Platform, etc.

;)

Regards
    More progress on this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2467400

I have 3G data and incoming voice calls working now.

Next: kitkat.

Chris

Please hit the thx button. And please thank also dr shadow and xplodwild from omnirom.
    KitKat Sources MT6582 / 6592

Since my Cloud host, removed the sources,that i uploaded twice

Using MEGA now, should be on for some days..

Edit: no more source leaks, noobies will always be noobies
    I won't be sharing more source stuff

Learn to comply with GPL and respect others

Regards
    I'm working now since 1 day on CM13 and here the first screenshot on mt6592 :).