[MOD] Custom Boot Screen

Search This thread

connexion2005

Feb 27, 2009
Texas
www.mobiletechvideos.com
Hi guys,

I picked up an I9100 SGS II the other day and decided to extend my development of the SGS boot screen MOD to it and was able to port it the same day as not much as changed in the way the param.lfs operates. I know this works just fine on the EURO I9100 SGS II in which the param.lfs calls for logo.jpg but if it fails, you can always re-flash a stock param.lfs to restore the boot screen which I have also included. I have written this for (I897, I9000, T959, T959V and now I9100). Per XDA's rules, I'll just attach the RAR package as an upload at the bottom of this post.

If you appreciate my work, just tap THANKS or DONATE me a drink or two if you are feeling generous. Here is the read me in case you don't want to open it with an additional text editor:

Code:
Brought to you by MOBILETECHVIDEOS.COM and CONNEXION2005 of XDA-Developers.COM

If the instructions below don't make sense to you,
JUST DON'T DO IT!

To change logo again, repeat the whole process!
=========================================================
| Instructions						|
| ------------						|
| 1. Open Odin						|
| 2. Boot Phone into Download Mode			|
| 3. In Odin PDA select "SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar"	|
| 4. Click Start					|
| 5. Boot Phone Normally and reconnect USB (dont mount)	|
|    You will have a logo draw fail! DONT WORRY!	|
| 6. Rename the Picture you want to use to " logo.jpg "	|
| 7. Run "MobileTV_SGS2_BootScreen.bat" from PC, follow |
| instructions. Keep phone screen ON, allow SU request. | 
| 8. Reboot and Enjoy!					|

NOTE about custom images!
480 x 800 and UNDER 100 kB

REMEMBER, THIS SCRIPT INSTALLS THE LATEST BUSYBOX INSTALLER, THIS MEANS IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE BUSYBOX INSTALLED, YOU MUST OPEN THAT INSTALLER AND ACTUALLY INSTALL BUSYBOX. IT INSTALLS AN APK TO USE TO INSTALL BUSYBOX, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY INSTALL BUSYBOX ITSELF DURING THE SCRIPT.

ONLY USE THE LATEST BUSYBOX BY STERICSON TO ENSURE THIS WORKS BEST. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE THE SCRIPT FOR THE LATEST VERSION, BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FREE INSTALLER OR DONATE VERSION IN THE MARKET BY STERICSON.

If the script doesn't work for you, it should if you have ADB installed, a rooted device plus the latest BusyBox (no offense but it's user error otherwise) just use root explorer to paste your logo.jpg in /mnt/.lfs AFTER running the custom param file via ODIN.

Attachments

• MobileTV_Boot_Screen_SGS2.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 9,745
Last edited:

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
does i9100 replacement logo.jpg also need to be less then 20kb?
also any other way to get out of soft crash except a jig(I dont have one)
and last request can you please also attach the original sgs2 boot screen plz?
thnx in advance..great work u r doing here bro..

Reactions: kingofjail

connexion2005

Feb 27, 2009
Texas
www.mobiletechvideos.com
does i9100 replacement logo.jpg also need to be less then 20kb?
also any other way to get out of soft crash except a jig(I dont have one)
and last request can you please also attach the original sgs2 boot screen plz?
thnx in advance..great work u r doing here bro..

I've tested with files above 100k but recommend 100k or less. I'm not sure if the SGS II has the same issues with download mode in soft brick scenarios which require a jig. It doesn't hurt to have one just in case. To get the original screen back, simply flash the param.lfs from a regular i9100 ODIN package for your phone... :)

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
Works well here, I've now got a starfield picture as my bootscreen.

Nice one. No issues at all other than the script complaining about the fact that busybox was already installed.

If the .jpg is corrupt or too big etc. will the boot fail, or will I just get the little green "logo.jpg load failed" message that I saw during the initial boot?

Cheers!

Willie_Heckerslyke

Apr 28, 2010
Hi Josh....like your presentation style on your vids (though I'm glad there's a rewind facilty on vids to replay what I've missed that you've just said...very rapid fire, but get most of what you're saying, lol)

Before I go'n flash a new boot animation ( I was always changing it on my last Desire...) Is there a way (or a need) to back up the existing Sammy one, or will it get re-written when flashing back to the custom ROM/FW should I need to send my phone back for warranty purposes?? (BTW....what's the latest with the 'hidden' binary counter that the jig isn't supposed to reset??...any more been discovered about it?)

I made a small donation for ya too btw....(1UE79898RF509935C) good work, and thanks for all your help for us 'numpties' who rely on you clever dudes ;)

Cheers...

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
I took a starfield picture I found somewhere and stuck the swirly S with the "Galaxy II" text on it so it looks semi-official, although the quality isn't as high as the real thing would be :)

I like it though, so here you are.

Looks like being in the "Yellow triangle" state over-rides the custom picture as I mis-flashed a zimage and it went away, flashed back to original & then CWM and all is well again.

logo.jpg

Apr 25, 2009
London
OnePlus Nord
Worked for me - thanks.

I put my name, email address and home phone number on the screen. That way if it gets stolen it's fixed on the screen at startup.

As knightnz said, yellow triangle will override your image but it comes back if you get rid of the yellow triangle (i.e. proper kernel or samsung jig)

dhaneshje

Nov 2, 2009
Nootdorp
Stock param.lfs to flash through Odin

Worked for me,,thanks!
I created my own bootscreen with a Metallica logo and some text,, haha :D

Anyway, I've attached a stock param.lfs file(a tar file that is) to flash through Odin in case you want to return to the stock bootscreen...I've tested it and it works.
I thought, I'll share it with you guys to save you some time...

Grtz Dhanesh

leo13aug79

Feb 27, 2009
Dubai, UAE
How about getting Skyraider boot animation working on SGS-2?

Hi Josh, really appreciate the work you are doing there, making learn this all so easily with the help of all those videos and written instructions. I have a further question: -

Is it possible to get Skyraider boot animation work on my SGS-2 instead of stock boot animation "S"?? And also if 'Yes', then is there anyway to save the stock boot animation just in case if want to revert back to it?

Update:
Got it done already, thanks to BMWpokerAce. Anybody interested go to:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1150281

Last edited:
Reactions: Mykew

RejjvarN

Dec 9, 2010
Norrköping
Hi, Thank you for the awesome video!

Even though the instructions are very clear, i still seem to have some trouble replace my bootscreen.

After running the SGS2_Custom_param_lfs.tar file in Odin (w/o any errors) i dont get the "logo.jpg draw failed" message that appears in your video, and i still got the same bootscreen as before.

Iam using [CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4 - su+bb+CWM4 with stock rom.

Thank you in advance!

LichtiMC

Dec 4, 2008
Hi, Thank you for the awesome video!

Even though the instructions are very clear, i still seem to have some trouble replace my bootscreen.

After running the SGS2_Custom_param_lfs.tar file in Odin (w/o any errors) i dont get the "logo.jpg draw failed" message that appears in your video, and i still got the same bootscreen as before.

Iam using [CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4 - su+bb+CWM4 with stock rom.

Thank you in advance!

Me too...
I experience the same problem...
May you've got a solution for this?
I'm running the Lite'nin Rom 1.5... (simply flashed with ODIN, no changes made... (kernel, busybox, ...))

Thanks a lot... =)

connexion2005

Feb 27, 2009
Texas
www.mobiletechvideos.com
To both of you guys ^, I'd bet you have a variant of the SGS II that doesn't call the logo.jpg file and instead is calling some other file in the param.lfs. There are several logo files in that directory so my thoughts are that your variant calls for a different picture other than just logo.jpg. Especially if the script does not error out.

Reactions: LichtiMC

LichtiMC

Dec 4, 2008
Thanks, you were right... =)
In my case the file is called logo_tel.jpg...

Now I'd need a SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar, which "deletes" this file... (Or did you rename it?)
Is it possible for you to create one? Or could you explain how to do it myself? (I would love to know more about it... :) )

Thanks for your answer... =)

EDIT:
I just built a JIG for my galaxy s2, cause I thought I'd may need it some time... And when I tried if it works, I realized, that not only the phone boots into download-mode and resets the Custom Binary counter, but it also sets the source for the boot-logo to default... (in my case from logo_tel.jpg to logo.jpg)

So now I was able to change the bootlogo with your SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar! :)

Maybe it also works for others... try it out... there's nothing to loose... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: krede

RejjvarN

Dec 9, 2010
Norrköping
Havent had time to check if its the same scenario for me. But i´ll guess if your right, it prolly easier to create/buy a JIG then get a custom .tar file.. :) Thank you for sharing the information!

Thanks, you were right... =)
In my case the file is called logo_tel.jpg...

Now I'd need a SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar, which "deletes" this file... (Or did you rename it?)
Is it possible for you to create one? Or could you explain how to do it myself? (I would love to know more about it... :) )

Thanks for your answer... =)

EDIT:
I just built a JIG for my galaxy s2, cause I thought I'd may need it some time... And when I tried if it works, I realized, that not only the phone boots into download-mode and resets the Custom Binary counter, but it also sets the source for the boot-logo to default... (in my case from logo_tel.jpg to logo.jpg)

So now I was able to change the bootlogo with your SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar! :)

Maybe it also works for others... try it out... there's nothing to loose... :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I picked up an I9100 SGS II the other day and decided to extend my development of the SGS boot screen MOD to it and was able to port it the same day as not much as changed in the way the param.lfs operates. I know this works just fine on the EURO I9100 SGS II in which the param.lfs calls for logo.jpg but if it fails, you can always re-flash a stock param.lfs to restore the boot screen which I have also included. I have written this for (I897, I9000, T959, T959V and now I9100). Per XDA's rules, I'll just attach the RAR package as an upload at the bottom of this post.

If you appreciate my work, just tap THANKS or DONATE me a drink or two if you are feeling generous. Here is the read me in case you don't want to open it with an additional text editor:

Code:
    Brought to you by MOBILETECHVIDEOS.COM and CONNEXION2005 of XDA-Developers.COM

If the instructions below don't make sense to you,
    JUST DON'T DO IT!

To change logo again, repeat the whole process!
    | Instructions						|
    | ------------						|
    | 1. Open Odin						|
    | 2. Boot Phone into Download Mode			|
    | 3. In Odin PDA select "SGS2_custom_param_lfs.tar"	|
    | 4. Click Start					|
    | 5. Boot Phone Normally and reconnect USB (dont mount)	|
    |    You will have a logo draw fail! DONT WORRY!	|
    | 6. Rename the Picture you want to use to " logo.jpg "	|
    | 7. Run "MobileTV_SGS2_BootScreen.bat" from PC, follow |
    | instructions. Keep phone screen ON, allow SU request. | 
    | 8. Reboot and Enjoy!					|

NOTE about custom images!
    480 x 800 and UNDER 100 kB

REMEMBER, THIS SCRIPT INSTALLS THE LATEST BUSYBOX INSTALLER, THIS MEANS IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE BUSYBOX INSTALLED, YOU MUST OPEN THAT INSTALLER AND ACTUALLY INSTALL BUSYBOX. IT INSTALLS AN APK TO USE TO INSTALL BUSYBOX, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY INSTALL BUSYBOX ITSELF DURING THE SCRIPT.

ONLY USE THE LATEST BUSYBOX BY STERICSON TO ENSURE THIS WORKS BEST. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE THE SCRIPT FOR THE LATEST VERSION, BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FREE INSTALLER OR DONATE VERSION IN THE MARKET BY STERICSON.

If the script doesn't work for you, it should if you have ADB installed, a rooted device plus the latest BusyBox (no offense but it's user error otherwise) just use root explorer to paste your logo.jpg in /mnt/.lfs AFTER running the custom param file via ODIN.

I took the liberty of making a little app for this (giving proper credits for the original mod, of course!)

• does not use a pre-supplied param.lfs, patches the one in the phone "on the fly"
    • pick any image you have on your phone, it gets automatically resized and converted to JPG
    • can also set the boot logo for when power is plugged in while the phone is turned off (before the battery charging animation is shown)
    • option to flash a stock param.lfs to completely remove the mod

img-11123_sc20111123043455_p-r-med.png

>> [ Get it here ] <<

:)
    Stock param.lfs to flash through Odin

Worked for me,,thanks!
    I created my own bootscreen with a Metallica logo and some text,, haha :D

Anyway, I've attached a stock param.lfs file(a tar file that is) to flash through Odin in case you want to return to the stock bootscreen...I've tested it and it works.
    I thought, I'll share it with you guys to save you some time...

Grtz Dhanesh
    good job there mate !
    Everything works fine till the point the script wants to check busybox.

The script stops at this point:

=====================================================
    MobileTechVideos.COM SGS II Boot Screen Installer
    =====================================================
    Press any key to continue . . .
    killing any adb instances that are currently running
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *

Busybox is installed at:
    /system/xbin

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks