[kernel module/beta] OPPtimizer Projekt - OMAP4 Overclocking

Search This thread

tekahuna

Jul 31, 2010
Oakland
Just wanted to let you guys know I got some kernel modules up for testing. These are unverified on nook tablet. So far reports are that "0.1 modules" with top frequency manipulation only work pretty flawlessly on devices tested. "0.2 modules" with top frequency and voltage manipulation, seem to work on Motorola Droid RAZR & Droid 3. Motorola Bionic & Atrix 2 don't like voltage manipulation at this point. I need beta testers.

opptimizer.googlecode.com

More info can be found and the original thread on RootzWiki:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-op...g-kernel-modulesofficial-thread/page__st__200

droidzach

Dec 23, 2010
Monroe, WI
I downloaded and installed this. I ran linpack a few times and had a moderate jump in scores. I have not been able to play with it much more, however. I can do some more testing too.

rapcon

Sep 28, 2008
Any idea on how to make if persistent? All is lost on reboot, however works well with setcpu. No noticeable battery drain or heat in beta 0.2 with 1200000000 1388000. Linpsck 57, Antutu 5390. Excellent discovery! Anything. Above 1200mhz is not stable and may crash. I had one crash the tablet froze; held down the power button 10 seconds to power off and then reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elmar1801

Elmar1801

Jan 26, 2008
NRW
Works very well. A permanent solution would be great.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA Premium App

tekahuna

Jul 31, 2010
Oakland
You need init.d to run at startup. There is a thread on how to get init.d scripts working here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390093

You don't need all the build.prop stuff to overclock, just the init.d support at the top.

I have a post on where the file should be put, and what it should look like here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-op...g-kernel-modulesofficial-thread/page__st__190

The init script was created by frostincredible for running at boot on Motorola Droid Bionic. His thread is here:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14698-in...or-tekahunas-omap4-overclock-modules-1-10-12/

rapcon

Sep 28, 2008
Using the last link in your post, here is what I found to have the Nook Tablet boot persistently into the desired overclocking speed.

1. Extract the init.d folder from the init scripts created by frostincredible and using ES File Explorer, copy to /system/etc directory
2. Download tekahuna version 1.0 files, (symsearch.ko and opptimizer.ko) and extract and copy them to /system/lib/modules directory. Create the modules directory if it does not exist.
3. Reboot and use Rom Tool or Setcpu for your desired CPU speed. I'm using 1.2GHZ on the Nook Tablet. I did try to flash the files using CWM, however the system partition identified in the zip file is not correct for the Nook Tablet.

4. I thank everyone involved for their work on this as this mod really perks up the Nook Tablet. See my previous post above on the new benchmarks at 1.2GHZ.

UPDATE I broke the persistence and caught He** trying to figure out what I did wrong. A step not mentioned above requires you to edit clrbootcount.sh located in /system/bin. You must add the init.d code below to end of the code in the file. From that point forward the tablet will boot at the script speed you have placed in /system/etc/init.d. I do not recommend anything above 1200. Set permissions on clrbootcount.sh to rwxrwxrwx. You can shrink the permissions once you get it running.

bb=/system/xbin/busybox
if [ -f $bb ]; then
/system/bin/logwrapper $bb run-parts /system/etc/init.d
else
for i in $(ls /system/etc/init.d/*); do
sh $1
done
fi

Last edited:
Reactions: noobernz

tgraves

Jun 15, 2010
Los Altos, CA
Using the last link in your post, here is what I found to have the Nook Tablet boot persistently into the desired overclocking speed.

1. Extract the init.d folder from the init scripts created by frostincredible and using ES File Explorer, copy to /system/etc directory
2. Download tekahuna version 1.0 files, (symsearch.ko and opptimizer.ko) and extract and copy them to /system/lib/modules directory. Create the modules directory if it does not exist.
3. Reboot and use Rom Tool or Setcpu for your desired CPU speed. I'm using 1.2GHZ on the Nook Tablet. I did try to flash the files using CWM, however the system partition identified in the zip file is not correct for the Nook Tablet.

4. I thank everyone involved for their work on this as this mod really perks up the Nook Tablet. See my previous post above on the new benchmarks at 1.2GHZ.
I followed instructions using the1200 package, but setcpu and rom toolbox still show 1008 max frequency. What else can I be missing?

rapcon

Sep 28, 2008
I had this problem and I can only suggest the following:

*Ensure you are using version 1.0 of the kernel modules
*check all permissions on the init.d folder in /system/etc and /system/lib/modules
If all goes well after the reboot, the tablet should be reporting 1200 in the Rom Toolbox CPU panel.

Version 2 of the kernel modules allow for voltage manipulation and the scripts in the init.d directory are not written to take advantage of that and therefore will not run. The scripts can be modified however.

Reactions: tgraves

tgraves

Jun 15, 2010
Los Altos, CA
I had this problem and I can only suggest the following:

*Ensure you are using version 1.0 of the kernel modules
*check all permissions on the init.d folder in /system/etc and /system/lib/modules
If all goes well after the reboot, the tablet should be reporting 1200 in the Rom Toolbox CPU panel.

Version 2 of the kernel modules allow for voltage manipulation and the scripts in the init.d directory are not written to take advantage of that and therefore will not run. The scripts can be modified however.
It runs great from the command line, but the init.d fix isn't working for me. I've set all permissions to 777. I'll have to fiddle around with it some more. I'm running at 1.2GHZ until I reboot.

noobernz

Oct 15, 2009
I actually didn't get mine to stick at boot until i set the permissions on the file in the init.d folder (00cpufreq_modules) to rwxr--r--. I believe thats what did the trick for me. (I had it at rw-r--r-- before).

jotekman

Jun 18, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Awesome, it works and it does seem snappier. I also couldn't get it to stick at boot, but I made the /system/lib/modules/*.ko files with full permissions (777 I think?) The rest of it, the init.d file, the 0.1 files, etc are all as posted. What did people set the .ko files permissions as?

UPDATE:
Tried it with rwxr--r-- and rw-r--r-- on both the ko files as well. Still didnt stick at boot. Also then tried to make a script in Rom Toolbox to run, and it said it ran successfully, but didn't show any change when I checked it (still at 1008). Using Rom Toolbox because SetCPU wouldn't install btw. And Script Manager just hangs and force closes after a while.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn
I'm all for development and "lets see what this puppy can do" but I have to ask - Isn't this puppy fast enough? How fast do you want it? Any faster and it would be answering the questions before your asked.

neoage

Apr 10, 2011
Miami
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7 Pro
It's a dual core. It's just a question of how much you want out of it, same as the Nook Color before it. I'm 100% behind overclocking because of the principle - if it's possible, why not?

nashdude

Dec 22, 2011
It's a dual core. It's just a question of how much you want out of it, same as the Nook Color before it. I'm 100% behind overclocking because of the principle - if it's possible, why not?

My only thought is, how much actual difference would it make? Will things run smoother? Will graphics be sharper, flow more easily?

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 8)

Demetris

Recognized Developer
Aug 15, 2008
Limassol
What about if you find out you can have 2x1.2Ghz without any battery penalty or thermal problems?
:)

travisn000

Oct 13, 2007
UPDATE I broke the persistence and caught He** trying to figure out what I did wrong. A step not mentioned above requires you to edit clrbootcount.sh located in /system/bin. You must add the init.d code below to end of the code in the file. From that point forward the tablet will boot at the script speed you have placed in /system/etc/init.d. I do not recommend anything above 1200. Set permissions on clrbootcount.sh to rwxrwxrwx. You can shrink the permissions once you get it running.

bb=/system/xbin/busybox
if [ -f $bb ]; then
else
sh $1
done
fi

...I haven't tried this, but looking at this script I'm wonderingif the "sh $1" should really be "sh $i" ...this should make it run all init.d scripts if busybox is not installed at the expected location.

(As it was written it will instead try to execute $1 which is probably the first argument passed to the clrbootcount.sh script unless otherwise defined in the script... without my suggested change the for loop doesn't do anything with the init.d scripts)

Last edited:

neoage

Apr 10, 2011
Miami
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7 Pro
I hope the project's going well! Took a look at the rootzwiki site and saw how it was going for the other devices...Just wondering if it's still happening for the Nook Tablet, since CM7 is right around the corner...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope the project's going well! Took a look at the rootzwiki site and saw how it was going for the other devices...Just wondering if it's still happening for the Nook Tablet, since CM7 is right around the corner...

Using this method, the CM7 team currently has test builds overclocked to 1.2 GHz and have taken it up to 1.25 Ghz without much issue, although the tablet did start to get warm at the higher speed. Anything much above 1.25 Ghz (tried it up to 1.3Ghz) gets unstable and you start to get FCs and random reboots. The extra 200 Hz is pretty nice though ;)

We are planning to release an update that will enable OC for everyone using CM7 soon.
    Just wanted to let you guys know I got some kernel modules up for testing. These are unverified on nook tablet. So far reports are that "0.1 modules" with top frequency manipulation only work pretty flawlessly on devices tested. "0.2 modules" with top frequency and voltage manipulation, seem to work on Motorola Droid RAZR & Droid 3. Motorola Bionic & Atrix 2 don't like voltage manipulation at this point. I need beta testers.

opptimizer.googlecode.com

More info can be found and the original thread on RootzWiki:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-op...g-kernel-modulesofficial-thread/page__st__200
    You need init.d to run at startup. There is a thread on how to get init.d scripts working here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390093

You don't need all the build.prop stuff to overclock, just the init.d support at the top.

I have a post on where the file should be put, and what it should look like here:
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14511-op...g-kernel-modulesofficial-thread/page__st__190

The init script was created by frostincredible for running at boot on Motorola Droid Bionic. His thread is here:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14698-in...or-tekahunas-omap4-overclock-modules-1-10-12/
    Any idea on how to make if persistent? All is lost on reboot, however works well with setcpu. No noticeable battery drain or heat in beta 0.2 with 1200000000 1388000. Linpsck 57, Antutu 5390. Excellent discovery! Anything. Above 1200mhz is not stable and may crash. I had one crash the tablet froze; held down the power button 10 seconds to power off and then reboot.

bb=/system/xbin/busybox
    if [ -f $bb ]; then
    else
    sh $1
    done
    fi