Mr KOP

Oct 1, 2010
Dear,

After step 6 (reboot) my NST freeze at starting up
How many time will I wait? thanks

awesomginger

Jun 24, 2010
Minnesota
I tried to root with TouchNooter while on 1.2.1 and was having troubles. My Nook was stuck on the Read Forever screen for, well, forever! It's still stuck on there. I've tried to use the .zip file provided here using CWM to flash it, but nothing new happened after I flashed it. Any help would be much appreciated!! I can boot into CWM again, so if there is a .zip file that I could flash to fix this?

Thanks

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I tried to root with TouchNooter while on 1.2.1 and was having troubles. My Nook was stuck on the Read Forever screen for, well, forever! It's still stuck on there. I've tried to use the .zip file provided here using CWM to flash it, but nothing new happened after I flashed it. Any help would be much appreciated!! I can boot into CWM again, so if there is a .zip file that I could flash to fix this?

Thanks
Is your Nook an NST or NST Glow?

This recovery tool is for NST only.

awesomginger

Jun 24, 2010
Minnesota
It should have worked then (I too had run into a similar problem in rooting my NST with TouchNooter and was able to recover using Touch-Formatter).

Have you tried powering the NST off and on (after removing the SD card)?
Embarrassingly I forgot that the SD card was still in the NST. Instead of burning an .img file to the SD card, I did the .zip file by mistake. So obviously it was hanging on booting up onto the zip. I simply removed the SD card and did a hard reset and it booted up just fine.

Thanks for the help. I will not forget about the zip next time.

ripplecm

Nov 23, 2010
Stuck in Demo Mode after completing restore

So I did everything correctly to restore my nook simple touch and it rebooted into the store demo mode. How did that happen? What do I do now? Anyone have this problem and know what to do?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
So I did everything correctly to restore my nook simple touch and it rebooted into the store demo mode. How did that happen? What do I do now? Anyone have this problem and know what to do?
I've never had this problem, but I know what I'd do.
Your /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db has a bad value for demo_mode
If you have adb working, pull that file, fix that value and push it back.
You'll need to have sqlite3 installed on your desktop or Nook.
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db
update secure set value=0 where name='demo_mode';
.q
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Reactions: bisbal

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009

Unless you cannot boot from an SD card I don't see why you would want this. There's also no reason to go back to 1.1.

You're better off trying this https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion

Hi thank you for responding on such an old thread :). I have summarized my situation.

After installing root with nookmanager and installing "Tweaked modded rom final" i got this message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart".
So i tried "Restore factory.zip" with the nookmanager as suggested somewhere on the forum. Now it just hangs on the nook boot/splash screen.

Ps: I got CWM installed on the internal memory. I don't have a nandroid backup

Edit: I tried the nook region changer and now it is giving me the same message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart".

Secondly: I tried "n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar" it restored my original factory image. Same message again: "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart". The internal storage doesn't show up on my computer, and the screen keeps flickering.

Maybe i corrupted my internal partitions somehow. I found an old thread about a tool named "Touch-Formatter v2" but i can't seem to find the files.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi thank you for responding on such an old thread :). I have summarized my situation.

After installing root with nookmanager and installing "Tweaked modded rom final" i got this message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart".
So i tried "Restore factory.zip" with the nookmanager as suggested somewhere on the forum. Now it just hangs on the nook boot/splash screen.

Ps: I got CWM installed on the internal memory. I don't have a nandroid backup

Edit: I tried the nook region changer and now it is giving me the same message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart".

Secondly: I tried "n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar" it restored my original factory image. Same message again: "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart". The internal storage doesn't show up on my computer, and the screen keeps flickering.

Maybe i corrupted my internal partitions somehow. I found an old thread about a tool named "Touch-Formatter v2" but i can't seem to find the files.

Well, whew.........

It's not helpful at this point but I should point out that doing a backup using NookManager right after rooting and before doing anything else might have saved you a lot of grief. This is especially true when fooling around with substitute ROMs.

That said, it looks like the files for this particular resurrection approach might still be available at the link given at the top of the thread: http://code.google.com/p/nooter/

You need to compare carefully the filenames in the broken links of the instructions with the files in the download list.

If the internals are corrupted there may be no way to initiate a Factory Restore, especially if you installed CWM internally (why, oh why?) which may well have wiped out the factory recovery. So....that's why I suggested the original link. It should have reimaged the internals entirely. That fact that you still have an error is not encouraging :(

Finally, Factory Reset and Factory Restore are not the same. One tidies things up while leaving apps and such alone. The other reimages the device from a protected ootb factory image stored in the internals. It's hard to get at that image and damage/delete it, but not impossible.

Before you go further down the rabbit hole, did you try this:

-Turn off your Nook Simple Touch completely.
-Turn it on again by holding down power, and then, as soon as the screen flashes, begin holding down the bottom page turn keys on the left and right of the device until the screen flashes with a message asking if you want to do a factory reset.
- Click the home key twice, and you should be on your way.

Reactions: flexoduss

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
Well, whew.........

It's not helpful at this point but I should point out that doing a backup using NookManager right after rooting and before doing anything else might have saved you a lot of grief. This is especially true when fooling around with substitute ROMs.

That said, it looks like the files for this particular resurrection approach might still be available at the link given at the top of the thread: http://code.google.com/p/nooter/

You need to compare carefully the filenames in the broken links of the instructions with the files in the download list.

If the internals are corrupted there may be no way to initiate a Factory Restore, especially if you installed CWM internally (why, oh why?) which may well have wiped out the factory recovery. So....that's why I suggested the original link. It should have reimaged the internals entirely. That fact that you still have an error is not encouraging :(

Finally, Factory Reset and Factory Restore are not the same. One tidies things up while leaving apps and such alone. The other reimages the device from a protected ootb factory image stored in the internals. It's hard to get at that image and damage/delete it, but not impossible.

Before you go further down the rabbit hole, did you try this:

-Turn off your Nook Simple Touch completely.
-Turn it on again by holding down power, and then, as soon as the screen flashes, begin holding down the bottom page turn keys on the left and right of the device until the screen flashes with a message asking if you want to do a factory reset.
- Click the home key twice, and you should be on your way.

That brings me in the cwm recovery. I know how to install the original recovery. But eventually it gives me the same message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart" I was really stupid for not making a backup. edit: i installed "install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip" https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994 and i did the factory reset. Now i'm stuck at the nook boot/splash screen.

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
That brings me in the cwm recovery. I know how to install the original recovery. But eventually it gives me the same message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart" I was really stupid for not making a backup. edit: i installed "install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip" https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994 and i did the factory reset. Now i'm stuck at the nook boot/splash screen.

Mmm....err....

I really don't want to encourage you to muck around even more. If you wiped out the ROM then that is probably part of the problem because the reset/restore is looking for stuff on the ROM partition that is not there. But really, who knows? So trying one thing after another is probably not making the device better.

Having made that disclaimer, here is a place where the various known methods for unbricking an NST have been listed. One of those links actually leads to a place with a factory image for the NST (but I suspect it may be ROM-less).

I'm guessing you do not have ADB access if the internal partition won't even show on your PC. Did you try looking at the Nook using Mini Partition Wizard (just LOOKING, not doing anything!)? Probably can't see it since your PC can't.

flexoduss

Dec 27, 2009
Mmm....err....

I really don't want to encourage you to muck around even more. If you wiped out the ROM then that is probably part of the problem because the reset/restore is looking for stuff on the ROM partition that is not there. But really, who knows? So trying one thing after another is probably not making the device better.

Having made that disclaimer, here is a place where the various known methods for unbricking an NST have been listed. One of those links actually leads to a place with a factory image for the NST (but I suspect it may be ROM-less).

I'm guessing you do not have ADB access if the internal partition won't even show on your PC. Did you try looking at the Nook using Mini Partition Wizard (just LOOKING, not doing anything!)? Probably can't see it since your PC can't.

I solved it because of you :)

1. I installed the stock recovery "install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip" https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=1360994 and i did a factory reset.
2. I installed the "nook region changer" https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion and flashed the us version.
3. It boots up nicely (without the message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart")
4. I will never forget to make a backup!!!!

Thank you very much :D

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I solved it because of you :)

1. I installed the stock recovery "install_stock_1.1_recovery.zip" https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=1360994 and i did a factory reset.
2. I installed the "nook region changer" https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion and flashed the us version.
3. It boots up nicely (without the message "NOOK: encountered a problem that requires a system restart")
4. I will never forget to make a backup!!!!

Thank you very much :D
I'm glad you got it sorted out :)
A baseline backup (maybe updated to 1.2.1 first) is a good idea. Remember that NookManager will only keep a single backup, but you can copy that backup to a PC while NM is still running. I keep two or three with short text files describing changes. Just in case.

Ishan_Arya

Nov 23, 2015
Development

Hi! I was wondering if you could provide some feedback on how you learned to develop Android, specifically for the NST. I have a project in mind to do with eInk screens, but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

Top Liked Posts