FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW-TO] Bell/Virgin Mobile TV Subscribers - "Coming soon to your device" workaround

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By studystand, Member on 28th January 2013, 02:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Recently, I had installed the experimental M-Snapshot CM 10.1 ROM onto my SGS3. This had broken compatibility with the Mobile TV application. With a small amount of tinkering and some research I was able to regain compatibility and use my Mobile TV application once again.

The following tutorial assumes that your device is rooted.

1. (Optional) Backup your device
2. Download a file manager (CM10 includes ones) and allow it superuser permissions. (You must be rooted)
Quote:

Settings>general settings>Access Mode>”Root Access Mode”

3. Browse over to the “/System” directory. There you will see the “build.prop” file, this is the file we will be editing.
4. Open the “build.prop” file and find “ro.product.model=” - insert the appropriate product model, in this case “SGH-I747M”. Make sure to save the file.

5. Exit the application and restart the device, Mobile TV for Bell and Virgin Mobile subscribers should now be working!

This method will work and applies to all kinds of devices assuming whatever application you are trying to execute reads from the "build.prop" file.

28th January 2013, 07:21 AM |#2  
Flag Vernon
Thanks Meter: 527

More
Re: Bell/Virgin Mobile TV Subscribers - "Coming soon to your device" workaround
Cool cool but this has been covered before a few times

Sent from the scary door....
28th January 2013, 05:09 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsupnow

Cool cool but this has been covered before a few times

Did a search in the forum previous to posting and didn't really find anything too detailed or direct. Figured I'd help those out that need it!
28th January 2013, 07:58 PM |#4  
Flag Vernon
Thanks Meter: 527

More
Re: [HOW-TO] Bell/Virgin Mobile TV Subscribers - "Coming soon to your device" workaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by studystand

Did a search in the forum previous to posting and didn't really find anything too detailed or direct. Figured I'd help those out that need it!

Yea I know the search completely sucks if you don't know the exact wording of what your looking for good luck finding it.

29th January 2013, 01:49 AM |#5  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Re: [HOW-TO] Bell/Virgin Mobile TV Subscribers - "Coming soon to your device" workaro
Just tried this on my Rogers S3, and it didn't work. Rogers anyplace tv still says the service is not this device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359424147821.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1685281  
29th January 2013, 02:43 AM |#6  
Flag New Westminster
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Just tried this on my Rogers S3, and it didn't work. Rogers anyplace tv still says the service is not this device

UUUH, did you just say that you are having trouble getting Rogers TV to work in a thread that gives instruction for BELL TV.?
29th January 2013, 02:51 AM |#7  
Flag Mississauga

More
Ughh yes I did because as the OP states this should work for other carriers as well.

Thanks for adding to the discussion you were a huge help

29th January 2013, 03:28 AM |#8  
Flag New Westminster

More
Quote:

Ughh yes I did because as the OP states this should work for other carriers as well.

Other carriers phones yes. Rogers TV app will not necessarily depend on the same portion of the build.prop.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCSC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BCSC Ad-Free
29th January 2013, 04:12 AM |#9  
Flag Mississauga

More
Well that's what I'm trying to figure out. It has to be something similar to the bell problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2013, 04:21 AM |#10  
Flag New Westminster

More
Quote:

Unfortunately, this app reads more than this one line from the build.prop. You can change that one line to any supported device and still get the same failed response. I changed the line 'ro.product.model=' as suggested in the OP to DELL Streak, and as you can see it still reads as a Samsung device. You will need to change multiple lines, and run the risk of making other app incompatible. Screen shot shows the effect with changing that one line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-28-20-17-01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1685552  
29th January 2013, 04:41 AM |#11  
Flag New Westminster

More
Also, I may be wrong here but it appears that this is the equivalent of the Bell Mobile TV app for Rogers wireless subscribers.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...domobile&hl=en

it is a different app compared to the one you have in screenshot. The live TV app is paid subscription. While this may not help, it is what I noticed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bell, build.prop, mobile tv, virgin

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)