FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.
 
1,188 Vote(s)
59.19%
Yes, kind of.
 
474 Vote(s)
23.62%
No, needs improvement.
 
345 Vote(s)
17.19%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,740 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,861
 
By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th December 2018, 01:40 PM |#28151  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
When can we expect Android pie on lg q6,is there any custom roms available right now.....
27th December 2018, 02:52 PM |#28152  
ktmom's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,781
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozroot

Thanks very much for replying.

My understanding is that I don't really need root for what I want to do, as all I want to do is run a custom ROM that's not loaded up with bloatware. I don't even want heaps of customization, which is why I like LOS.

So it seems I should load the stock firmware through Odin to unroot, then reinstall twrp through Odin again and then flash LOS through twrp.

Again my understanding is that then the updates will work automatically because the device is not rooted...is that correct?

I don't even use gapps and all the apps I like to use still work fine. I just like a nice smooth/fast interface that isn't continuously offering me "suggestions" that feel more like orders or conditions, and LineageOS really seems smooth that way.

Cheers again,

So I completely missed the LOS thing

LOS should update without care about root.

I would take a backup in case something goes wrong and then just clean flash the updated ROM. The ROM thread should have all the details to do that.



---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil kalyan

When can we expect Android pie on lg q6,is there any custom roms available right now.....

Until the bootloader can be unlocked, there will be no custom ROM development. You can follow the development thread in your device forum for future updates.



"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
28th December 2018, 07:11 AM |#28153  
Junior Member
Flag Port Macquarie NSW
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
S6 Australian stock firmware
Hi All,

I'm going to flash my Australian Galaxy S6 back from LOS to stock, and am looking for a link to the firmware.

When I look at "settings-about phone-device model" (in LOS 14.1), it's telling me that my phone is a SM-G920F, but the Australian firmware download is an SM-G920I (I think).

Is LOS correct always about the model of phone it is installed on? Or if I downloaded the wrong ROM and installed it, would it rename the device model? I'm pretty sure it's an Aussie model, as I bought it brand new from JBHifi myself. Can't find the box/paperwork to check though.

I've got differing advice on whether having the phone rooted will affect automatic updates, so I just want to try flashing it back to stock firmware and reinstalling twrp and LOS via Odin.

Plus to be honest I just want to do it myself this time, as someone else did it for me last time and I want to learn to do it.

Would someone please be kind enough to point me to a link to the stock firmware that will be best for me?

**I should have mentioned...firmware for unlocked to all networks**
28th December 2018, 01:36 PM |#28154  
ktmom's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,781
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozroot

Hi All,

I'm going to flash my Australian Galaxy S6 back from LOS to stock, and am looking for a link to the firmware.

When I look at "settings-about phone-device model" (in LOS 14.1), it's telling me that my phone is a SM-G920F, but the Australian firmware download is an SM-G920I (I think).

Is LOS correct always about the model of phone it is installed on? Or if I downloaded the wrong ROM and installed it, would it rename the device model? I'm pretty sure it's an Aussie model, as I bought it brand new from JBHifi myself. Can't find the box/paperwork to check though.

I've got differing advice on whether having the phone rooted will affect automatic updates, so I just want to try flashing it back to stock firmware and reinstalling twrp and LOS via Odin.

Plus to be honest I just want to do it myself this time, as someone else did it for me last time and I want to learn to do it.

Would someone please be kind enough to point me to a link to the stock firmware that will be best for me?

**I should have mentioned...firmware for unlocked to all networks**

If you want to stay on LOS, then I don't understand why you want to flash a stock ROM. However, you should be able to get the stock ROMs from SamMobile. If this idea is because I posted earlier about flashing stock having missed the part that you were running LOS, then your missed my second post indicating that you don't need to do that.

The SM-G920F is a UK variant and the SM-G920I is an India variant.

If you want to return to stock and stay on the latest stock, everything you need to read about flashing ect is linked in the *[[FAQ][HELP THREAD][GUIDES LIST] Ask Any Question for S6 thread.

The LOS thread for your device is here.

The OTA update notification you are getting is probably from a stock OTA which can not be taken when you are on a custom ROM. The notifications are known to display in spite of not running stock. But I'm going to say again, if your plan is to continue running LOS, there is no reason to return to stock.



"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
28th December 2018, 08:30 PM |#28155  
Junior Member
Flag Port Macquarie NSW
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

If you want to stay on LOS, then I don't understand why you want to flash a stock ROM. However, you should be able to get the stock ROMs from SamMobile. If this idea is because I posted earlier about flashing stock having missed the part that you were running LOS, then your missed my second post indicating that you don't need to do that.

The SM-G920F is a UK variant and the SM-G920I is an India variant.

If you want to return to stock and stay on the latest stock, everything you need to read about flashing ect is linked in the *[[FAQ][HELP THREAD][GUIDES LIST] Ask Any Question for S6 thread.

The LOS thread for your device is here.

The OTA update notification you are getting is probably from a stock OTA which can not be taken when you are on a custom ROM. The notifications are known to display in spite of not running stock. But I'm going to say again, if your plan is to continue running LOS, there is no reason to return to stock.



"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

Thank you.

The OTA notification was definitely LOS, not from stock.

The reason I thought that the phone being rooted would affect LOS updating was that the One Click Root online support told me that, and that I need to flash the stock rom first to unroot it, and then reinstall LOS again. I was only repeating what I was told, but if you say that's not the case, fair enough.

Interestingly, there was no firmware download for Australia in SamMobile anyway.

I would like to be ready to put it back to stock because I might sell it soon anyway.
28th December 2018, 08:40 PM |#28156  
ktmom's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,781
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozroot

Thank you.

The OTA notification was definitely LOS, not from stock.

The reason I thought that the phone being rooted would affect LOS updating was that the One Click Root online support told me that, and that I need to flash the stock rom first to unroot it, and then reinstall LOS again. I was only repeating what I was told, but if you say that's not the case, fair enough.

Interestingly, there was no firmware download for Australia in SamMobile anyway.

I would like to be ready to put it back to stock because I might sell it soon anyway.

I suspect you need a UK ROM for that 920F model.

LOS has its own root. I see no reason to use a maleware inducing one click root.



"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
28th December 2018, 09:03 PM |#28157  
Junior Member
Flag Port Macquarie NSW
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

I suspect you need a UK ROM for that 920F model.

LOS has its own root. I see no reason to use a maleware inducing one click root.



"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

yes (lol).

Having used OCR was one of my concerns and reasons for wanting to reinstall and do it myself again...I am here in the noob section for a reason lol
28th December 2018, 09:21 PM |#28158  
ktmom's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,781
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozroot

yes (lol).

Having used OCR was one of my concerns and reasons for wanting to reinstall and do it myself again...I am here in the noob section for a reason lol

Ok, then using TWRP recovery which i think you said you have installed, you should just clean flash the LOS ROM. It's not hard to do.

You reboot to recovery, do a backup, typically using the default settings (data, system, boot). Then wipe the system, cache, dalvik and data partitions. Finally, install the LOS ROM and gapps; both of which need to be available on your device storage.

Then if you want root back, LOS has a zip to root their ROMs.

The index of threads in the S6 forum I linked to earlier will have threads on flashing ROMs.





"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
29th December 2018, 03:04 AM |#28159  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

here is an example

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

here is an example

It still happens to google spreadsheets when link opens in firefox. google drive spreadsheet folder window is still open. But google spreadsheet itself is not accessible anymore since the browser window was drawn over it. Imagine you are doing stuff in that browser window and after a few min. you need to check something and want to go back to google spreadsheet and read its content. It is not possible, if you open the very spreadsheet again, starting in google drives app, it will only put that very browser window to the front. The only way to see the spreadsheet content is by closing the browser window which will erase all that you have done in the meantime.
Now the weird part which i dont quite get.
Neither google spreadsheet nor Firefox have permission to "draw over other apps". Only google drive has it and i can not disable it, its a preinstalled system app and that phone is not rooted yet. But still, why is google spreadsheet allowed to do that if i have disabled "draw over other apps"?

Update:
I tested so far: Chrome, Chromium, Edge, DuckDuckGo, Firefox, Firefox Klar, NoChromo, Opera, Opera Mini, google docs, google spreadsheets
Only Firefox and Firefox Klar in combination with google spreadsheet or docs shows that behavior. No changes after reinstalling those.
Or when one opens a link inside google mail app, the website will load and draw over the mail content inside google mail app. The user will not be able to read that mail. He has to close that website first. Hence losing all that has been done in that website in the meantime.
But if i select any browser manually, including Firefox, the link will open in a new browser window separated from google mail app. And both windows will be accessible. Check pictures 1 to 6 for that.
I was not able to reproduce this in a 3rd party app, only google apps seem to be affected by this mechanics.

Wish you all a happy new year's eve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	draw over app.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	4675412   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	26
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	4675440   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	4675441   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	26
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	4675442   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4675443   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	28
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	4675444   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	4675445  
29th December 2018, 04:35 AM |#28160  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtimes

It still happens to google spreadsheets when link opens in firefox. google drive spreadsheet folder window is still open. But google spreadsheet itself is not accessible anymore since the browser window was drawn over it. Imagine you are doing stuff in that browser window and after a few min. you need to check something and want to go back to google spreadsheet and read its content. It is not possible, if you open the very spreadsheet again, starting in google drives app, it will only put that very browser window to the front. The only way to see the spreadsheet content is by closing the browser window which will erase all that you have done in the meantime.
Now the weird part which i dont quite get.
Neither google spreadsheet nor Firefox have permission to "draw over other apps". Only google drive has it and i can not disable it, its a preinstalled system app and that phone is not rooted yet. But still, why is google spreadsheet allowed to do that if i have disabled "draw over other apps"?

Update:
I tested so far: Chrome, Chromium, Edge, DuckDuckGo, Firefox, Firefox Klar, NoChromo, Opera, Opera Mini, google docs, google spreadsheets
Only Firefox and Firefox Klar in combination with google spreadsheet or docs shows that behavior. No changes after reinstalling those.
Or when one opens a link inside google mail app, the website will load and draw over the mail content inside google mail app. The user will not be able to read that mail. He has to close that website first. Hence losing all that has been done in that website in the meantime.
But if i select any browser manually, including Firefox, the link will open in a new browser window separated from google mail app. And both windows will be accessible. Check pictures 1 to 6 for that.
I was not able to reproduce this in a 3rd party app, only google apps seem to be affected by this mechanics.

Wish you all a happy new year's eve.

You should be able to disable the draw over apps feature for spreadsheets. Go to system settings that let you disable the draw over apps feature for your installed apps. When you are at the screen that has your apps listed, TAP THE MENU BUTTON, then select "show system", this will expand your list of system apps to include them all. They only way I could see you having a problem using those settings to disable it for spreadsheets is if it is greyed out on the list and won't let you switch the toggle for spreadsheets.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
29th December 2018, 04:54 AM |#28161  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Oreo?
Hey, guys are there any unofficial version of Android 8 for the Samsung Galaxy S3 that works? It turns out there are some compatibility issues with some of the ones that I found on android file host. And where can I find a step-by-step tutorial to make my own unofficial Lineage OS Android version?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes