MediaTek driver sourcecode (want custom ROMs? read this!)

Search This thread

_tmp

Jul 23, 2014
For me it doesn't work. I tried your kernel sources, too, from https://github.com/benlorenz/alps-fairphone-gpl
I just checked out my repo into a new and clean folder, ran the make command from the README, created the boot.img, dd it to /dev/bootimg and copied the modules. It boots fine.

Maybe there something different in the img creation ?

I'm using the following:
Code:
mediatek/build/tools/mkimage ./zImage KERNEL > ./zImage.img
./repack-MT65xx_mine.pl -boot zImage.img origboot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz boot.img
I have slightly modified the unpack and repack scripts from https://github.com/bgcngm/mtk-tools so that they dont unpack the ramdisk and origboot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz is what I extracted from the original boot.img.

But I still get this error here on boot. Seems display related.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=tT2GKSsa
It looks like the display panic appears after the reboot is already initiated, from the "Exception stack" at the beginning I think there was another panic earlier. (And I think I have seen a some panic during reboot once too)

I'll do some more testing and post some screenshots later.

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
About the random touches issue: I remember people posting about random touches while charging the phone. So maybe not having the phone connected will solve that problem and show that this is a hardware problem.
Hope this helps

also, maybe it's easier to collaborate on the wiki and collect information and compiling steps/ manuals?
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Fairphone_Fairphone

Last edited:
Reactions: fredflegel

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
About the random touches issue: I remember people posting about random touches while charging the phone. So maybe not having the phone connected will solve that problem and show that this is a hardware problem.
Hope this helps

IT may not be hardware. As on one of my devices we are working on a software bug that messes up the touch imput when the device is pluged in. We know its software as it was not an issue before. So your issue may also be software and not hardware.

tobwes

Jul 23, 2014
I am home for just about two weeks and since there is a re-partitioning of the phone scheduled in the next update I am willing to test your current code. However, this will be the first time that i try to use a custom (self built) kernel. The most adventurous experience I have so far is installing a cyanogen mod on a galaxy sII (which is quite easy), so a small wiki entry regarding the procedure would actually help me a lot and safe me a lot of time.

Also I still need to figure out how it will be best to backup the phone (especially apps like whatsapp and textsecure).

If someone has the time to give short advice that would highly be appreciated (with testing reports ;) ), otherwise I will have to spent more time on research on the internet.

_tmp

Jul 23, 2014
Hope this helps

IT may not be hardware. As on one of my devices we are working on a software bug that messes up the touch imput when the device is pluged in. We know its software as it was not an issue before. So your issue may also be software and not hardware.
Im quite sure it is a software problem. It only happens with my custom kernel, but both when plugged and unplugged.
Moreover, I am using a different display driver than the stock kernel (_ipsboe is not present in the strings of the original kernel) and it happens only when the screen is mostly white.

So I still hope for the correct display driver and maybe we need better touch calibration values.

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Hope this helps

also, maybe it's easier to collaborate on the wiki and collect information and compiling steps/ manuals?
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Fairphone_Fairphone

Hi

This issue isn't related with this kernel, but with MTK API, it happens on several MTK devices (i own 5 MTK devices, same isue on all of them)

Connect your charger, then disconnect and connect again, should be fine now...

The first time you connect the charger you'll notice that all cores will be at full speed (avoiding the IDLE )

Ontopic:
About the sourcecode, there's a lot to merge and fix on the stock sources (this is starting to be anoying on all my kernel MTK projects).

You should REALLY disable the MTK debug functions on mediatek/config/MT../ .... / platform
Not only it will reduce your compiled zImage (+- less 300KB) and it should and will avoid several issues on Booting the kernel

I really can't spent more time on this, i was doing an favour to an friend of mine, still busy weith two other MTK kernels projects (MT6577 zte v970 and MT6582 Wiko darkmoon)

Good Luck ;)
Regards

EDIT:

I noticed that the OEM talked about some issues regarding Reparticioning (I think there's two hardware revisions ???)

Thats hardcoded on the kernel under ../mediatek/custom/ Project/common on the partition.define.h

Example:
https://github.com/dragonpt/ZTE_v970_Kernel/tree/master/mediatek/custom/ztev970/common

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: _tmp

_keesj

Mar 4, 2014
Amsterdam
OK, I'll give it a try. :)

The problem is not only the file ProjectConfig.mk. I think the following folders are missing:
  • mediatek/config/FP1
  • mediatek/custom/FP1
Of course, I don't know if the name of the folders would be FP1 or fairphone or whatever. There are only the ahong89_wet_jb2 folders, which seem to contain some generic template (or maybe are for a development board). Alternatively, it might be that the phone-specific files should actually be in ahong89_wet_jb2. Whatever is the case, either some folders are missing or it is not the kernel source for the Fairphone.

AFAIK makefiles like ProjectConfig.mk are also covered by the GPL. I think this is concrete evidence that the current kernel package does not comply with the GPL. Not to mention the issue with the volume buttons.

So the people at Fairphone should ask again for the kernel sources and point out the probable violation of the GPL.

If one of you is in direct contact with the person responsible for the kernel sources at Fairphone, then please pass on this information.

ahong89_wet_jb2 is the machine named used during the build so no missing config here.

entr0

Apr 30, 2014
I am very excited to see that there is a new kernel source package (v3) and from the reports above it seems that it almost works. Many thanks to the Fairphone team for being so persistent on this subject, and to everyone helping to make a custom kernel!

ahong89_wet_jb2 is the machine named used during the build so no missing config here.

Ok, so the config was not missing, it was simply the wrong one :) The new sources contain many changes in ProjectConfig.mk and mediatek/custom/ahong89_wet_jb2/kernel/dct/dct/. The latter contains files describing how the board is wired.

Notice that there is a copy of ProjectConfig.mk on the Fairphone ROM, it is in the folder /system/data/misc. The CUSTOM_KERNEL settings there completely agree with the ones in the current kernel package. This is another indication that the correct lcm driver might still be missing.

From above discussion, I think up to now the issues with the current kernel sources are:
  • need fix for: mediatek/platform/mt6589/kernel/drivers/dum-char/partition_define.c
  • probably missing folder mediatek/custom/common/kernel/lcm/nt35516_qhd_dsi_cmd/ and/or corresponding changes to mediatek/custom/common/kernel/lcm/mt65xx_lcm_list.c
  • missing file: mediatek/custom/ahong89_wet_jb2/kernel/accelerometer/bma250/cust_acc.c
  • missing file: mediatek/custom/ahong89_wet_jb2/kernel/alsps/stk3171/cust_alsps.c
  • maybe an additional issue with the touchpanel driver/configuration
Correct me if I overlooked something. It would be great if the Fariphone team can ask for another, hopefully 100% complete, kernel package.

Just a wild guess on the touchpanel issue: maybe one can try ft5316_driver.c.bak instead of ft5316_driver.c for the touchpanel driver and see if it works better? I just had a quick look, but there might be omissions related to calibration in the current file.

Unfortunately, I am rather busy these days and have no time to experiment with the new sources right away, but I will try ASAP!

_tmp

Jul 23, 2014
From above discussion, I think up to now the issues with the current kernel sources are:
  • need fix for: mediatek/platform/mt6589/kernel/drivers/dum-char/partition_define.c
  • probably missing folder mediatek/custom/common/kernel/lcm/nt35516_qhd_dsi_cmd/ and/or corresponding changes to mediatek/custom/common/kernel/lcm/mt65xx_lcm_list.c
  • missing file: mediatek/custom/ahong89_wet_jb2/kernel/accelerometer/bma250/cust_acc.c
  • missing file: mediatek/custom/ahong89_wet_jb2/kernel/alsps/stk3171/cust_alsps.c
  • maybe an additional issue with the touchpanel driver/configuration
Correct me if I overlooked something. It would be great if the Fariphone team can ask for another, hopefully 100% complete, kernel package.
A few comments on these issues:
  • The partition files in the original 1.3 sources seem like they corresponds to after the partition upgrade (no fat, bigger cache) but I was able to generate correct files with the included ptgen script after setting MTK_SHARED_SDCARD=no. [1]
  • There are working cust_alsps.c cust_acc.c in my github, I got them from other repositories and the parameters are adjusted to the ones extracted from the stock kernel. All those hw sensors work fine and give reasonable values in the the kernel I compiled. [1]
  • I think we really need that display file (and having a correct display might also fix the touch issue as somehow the brightness has an influence ...)
  • Moreover, a 1.6 source package would be good.

All parameters for the touch panel I could find so far seem identical between the files and the stock kernel.

Just a wild guess on the touchpanel issue: maybe one can try ft5316_driver.c.bak instead of ft5316_driver.c for the touchpanel driver and see if it works better? I just had a quick look, but there might be omissions related to calibration in the current file.
I had a look at those files and i think the .bak is really a backup and the file was split up into several source files. Many parts that are not in the .c anymore can be found in ft6x06_ex_fun.{c,h}

[1] see here

Reactions: _keesj

_keesj

Mar 4, 2014
Amsterdam
A few comments on these issues:
  • The partition files in the original 1.3 sources seem like they corresponds to after the partition upgrade (no fat, bigger cache) but I was able to generate correct files with the included ptgen script after setting MTK_SHARED_SDCARD=no. [1]
  • There are working cust_alsps.c cust_acc.c in my github, I got them from other repositories and the parameters are adjusted to the ones extracted from the stock kernel. All those hw sensors work fine and give reasonable values in the the kernel I compiled. [1]
  • I think we really need that display file (and having a correct display might also fix the touch issue as somehow the brightness has an influence ...)
  • Moreover, a 1.6 source package would be good.

All parameters for the touch panel I could find so far seem identical between the files and the stock kernel.

I had a look at those files and i think the .bak is really a backup and the file was split up into several source files. Many parts that are not in the .c anymore can be found in ft6x06_ex_fun.{c,h}

[1] see here

We got a new patch containing *only the LCM changes* I haven't had time to look into it.
http://www.fairphone.com/downloads/software/fp1_source_code/GPL_patch_20140731.tar.gz

_tmp

Jul 23, 2014

superdragonpt

Recognized Developer
Apr 27, 2013
Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
www.caixamagica.pt
Awesome, thanks. The new display driver is correct, works and even fixes the issue with random touches! I pushed the driver to my github.

I will do some more testing of the custom kernel soon and try to start removing some mtk debugging stuff ...

You can start by :
removing KALLSYMS stuff
Clean main Makefile
Clean *junk* declarations on some mtk drivers under platform/ custom

Try to compile with 4.7+ toolchain ( see if it builts ) usually some fixs are needed on mtk kernels.
( check WiFi modules under /platform)
The old ( stock) toolchain used my mtk ( arm eabi 4.6) is really outdated'...

Regards ;)

step21

May 7, 2011
Re: Release of driver sources ...

If anyone is still interested in this ... you could try to contact gpl-violations.org on their mailing list, to check what they think.
However personally, I don't have too much hope ...

step21

May 7, 2011
Contacting them won't do any good. As they are in China they are not held to alot of laws

While I know what you mean, this is not necessarily true. I know people who do enforcement of licenses, including alternative licenses such as the GPL, and they have prevailed most of the time. Often just asking in a professional manner helps. At this point it is for example not clear to me, were they even asked? Who asked, and how?
In case they really don't seem to care, next steps can be thought about - such as - does someone know(or is) a kernel developer that wants to pursue gpl enforcement? In case this is a problem, as I suggested, someone should talk to gpl-violations.org first. This is of course not a guarantee, but they can advise more precisely.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
While I know what you mean, this is not necessarily true. I know people who do enforcement of licenses, including alternative licenses such as the GPL, and they have prevailed most of the time. Often just asking in a professional manner helps. At this point it is for example not clear to me, were they even asked? Who asked, and how?
In case they really don't seem to care, next steps can be thought about - such as - does someone know(or is) a kernel developer that wants to pursue gpl enforcement? In case this is a problem, as I suggested, someone should talk to gpl-violations.org first. This is of course not a guarantee, but they can advise more precisely.

We have contacted them on a few oem that don't follow the gpl. Take the MIUI OEM they refuse to release the kernel source for their devices and when asked about it they say flat out that they don't have to follow it as China does that enforce Any copyright laws.

step21

May 7, 2011
We have contacted them on a few oem that don't follow the gpl. Take the MIUI OEM they refuse to release the kernel source for their devices and when asked about it they say flat out that they don't have to follow it as China does that enforce Any copyright laws.

I didn't say it wasn't a problem with a lot of manufacturers. It is. However I wanted to know specifically if you asked the company resposible for the fairphone chip. Is that the same one that did MIUI? Granted, certain countries are a bit selective in enforcing copyright, but this doesn't mean they don't do it at all. It also doesn't really matter what they say - ofc it's probably easier for them not to do it and try to get away with it, they still have to do it. At the very least, however, they would start to care if someone got an injunction and it threatened their sales or other relationships abroad. (assuming they export most of their stuff) I'm not saying that it is easy, but that is the way to go, if talking (specifically to the relevant manufacturer, about this phone/chipset, with documented communication) didn't work.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I didn't say it wasn't a problem with a lot of manufacturers. It is. However I wanted to know specifically if you asked the company resposible for the fairphone chip. Is that the same one that did MIUI? Granted, certain countries are a bit selective in enforcing copyright, but this doesn't mean they don't do it at all. It also doesn't really matter what they say - ofc it's probably easier for them not to do it and try to get away with it, they still have to do it. At the very least, however, they would start to care if someone got an injunction and it threatened their sales or other relationships abroad. (assuming they export most of their stuff) I'm not saying that it is easy, but that is the way to go, if talking (specifically to the relevant manufacturer, about this phone/chipset, with documented communication) didn't work.

Your missing the point. OEM out of china don't have to do anything. We have been down this road with a few oem like micromax. They import their devices from china and are not provided the kernel source so they can't provide it. They have been reported a dozen times but due to the laws in that country there is nothing they will do to change it. Search around. There are dozens of threads about it. You have to remember that not every one is held to the same laws as we are

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
Your missing the point. OEM out of china don't have to do anything. We have been down this road with a few oem like micromax. They import their devices from china and are not provided the kernel source so they can't provide it. They have been reported a dozen times but due to the laws in that country there is nothing they will do to change it. Search around. There are dozens of threads about it. You have to remember that not every one is held to the same laws as we are

Something I use to wonder about: Is it not forbidden to cooperate with a company that breaks the law? Would that be too complicated?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    build and boot a custom kernel

Hi all,

I was able to build and boot a custom kernel. The problem is that the Fairphone kernel sources are in fact not configured for the Fairphone.

The ringbuffer and/or ram console are quite small, so I don't really get much output. Looks like some problem with the dsi/display.

The display configuration in mediatek/config/ahong89_wet_jb2/ProjectConfig.mk is obviously wrong. So I changed CUSTOM_KERNEL_LCM in this file to nt35516_qhd_dsi_cmd_ipsboe (one can guess this by looking at /proc/cmdline and browsing through mediatek/custom/common/kernel/lcm). There are many more CUSTOM_KERNEL_* settings in this file and I have no idea what to put there. Therefore I excluded as many MediaTek drivers as possible from my kernel build, just to increase the chances that it boots properly.

The kernel was building fine and so far I tried to put my custom kernel on a recovery image. And finally it boots! :) The recovery menu is (almost) usable, the only problem is that the volume up button is recognized as volume down and the volume down button does not work at all.

The bottom line is that the configuration for the Fairphone board is not included in the kernel source. There are just the ahong folders with some generic configuration and customized source code, but I would expect to see also corresponding Fairphone folders. (So parts of the source code customized for the Fairphone are most likely missing, too.) I would not consider the current kernel source as complete. Let's hope that the guys from Fairphone are able to get the complete sources soon. However, it should be possible to start some development with the current sources already.
    Yes, we definitely need the full sources. One of the reasons why I bought the Fairphone was its alleged openness. If we can't get the Mediatek sources, the promise of a "completely open phone" is nothing but empty words.

Promising openness and choosing an MTK chip are completely conflicting right now.

MTK is one of the least open source friendly chipset providers out there.
    1) Their kernel is often full of binary blob modules. Sadly, in many cases, blob modules ARE legal. See the infamous Samsung FSR driver on the GalaxyS family.
    2) Their kernel source code is a disorganized mess
    3) If you have a friendly OEM that will leak MTK's complete Android build tree to you:
    a) They will only build as-is with an oddball and VASTLY outdated Ubuntu configuration
    b) They're an even more disorganized mess than the kernel sources and will cause severe brain damage if you try to read/understand them without taking breaks to work with a less screwed up source tree
    c) Even their OEMs only get statically linked binaries for many components. For example their hwcomposer "source" is just a wrapper around a blob
    d) They have yet to support an Android release newer than 4.2 - partly because it looks like they initially wrote stuff for Android 1.x and have never updated their sources properly to fit in with newer versions of Android. (They have been hacking Android sources to be compatible with their junk instead of the other way around). For example, they still don't use device trees.

Even with an OEM that is cooperating significantly with developers (like Oppo), working with MTK devices is slow and extremely agonizing.
    I can imagine it being difficult to know what questions to pass on to the technical team and how to formulate them, so I think it'd be useful to state them explicitly.

OK, I'll give it a try. :)

The problem is not only the file ProjectConfig.mk. I think the following folders are missing:
    • mediatek/config/FP1
    • mediatek/custom/FP1
    Of course, I don't know if the name of the folders would be FP1 or fairphone or whatever. There are only the ahong89_wet_jb2 folders, which seem to contain some generic template (or maybe are for a development board). Alternatively, it might be that the phone-specific files should actually be in ahong89_wet_jb2. Whatever is the case, either some folders are missing or it is not the kernel source for the Fairphone.

AFAIK makefiles like ProjectConfig.mk are also covered by the GPL. I think this is concrete evidence that the current kernel package does not comply with the GPL. Not to mention the issue with the volume buttons.

So the people at Fairphone should ask again for the kernel sources and point out the probable violation of the GPL.

If one of you is in direct contact with the person responsible for the kernel sources at Fairphone, then please pass on this information.
    Thanks to fixes inspired by @_tmp's work the https://github.com/keesj/alps-fairphone-gpl repository now builds a working kernel

Find the instrutions here https://github.com/keesj/alps-fairphone-gpl/wiki/Building

enjoy
    Even though it was said that the Fairphone will be completely open, the sourcecode of the MediaTek chip (MT6589M) is still not available (update: that was true for the time of writing. Luckily as of now, sourcecode is available and a custom ROM is in the making, see Developtment and Original Development Subforums). The link to the linux sourcecode except for the MediaTek part is here:

Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!

Great to see that. However, we need MediaTek sourcecode for custom ROMs if we don't want to reverse engineer (which is a lot of hard work and may even be considered a gray area on legality, I think)

Thanks to @dbrgn for bringing this up:

@joemier any plans to release the mediatek sources? Without them, not much will happen here...

If I'm not mistaken the mediatek kernel modules were written explicitly for Linux/Android. In which case, according to Linus Torvalds, they would have to be licensed under the GPL license:

That doesn't mean that I would accept just any kind of binary-only module: there are cases where something would be so obviously Linux-specific that it simply wouldn't make sense without the Linux kernel. In those cases, it would also obviously be a derived work, and as such the above excuses don't really apply any more, and it falls under the GPL license.
    (source linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/proprietary-kernel-modules.html)

So
    1. Petition for MediaTek to release the sourcecode
      http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/aosp-support-for-mediatek-devices/
    2. Does anyone know if it's possible to persuade MediaTek to release the code, because they use Linux (GPL)?
    3. Why don't they release the code? Can it be exploited or do they think there is a risk this can be used against them by other companies? Or do they just not care to do a little work?

Sony has managed to release the sourcecode of the MediaTek inside the Xperia C
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...es/open-source-archive-for-build-16-0-a-0-36/
    So we and Fairphone can do it too!

(Mistake by me, it's just the kernel. Thanks chrmhoffmann for pointing it out)