Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.

I think KeiranFTW already mentioned that was the problem to! Pretty silly if it really wasn't fully tested, Verizon is slacking, I've always said their more concerned about spellings phones and making money then they are about giving updates. This only furthers proves it and, well, at least their attempting to handle it! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my R800x

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
I think KeiranFTW already mentioned that was the problem to! Pretty silly if it really wasn't fully tested, Verizon is slacking, I've always said their more concerned about spellings phones and making money then they are about giving updates. This only furthers proves it and, well, at least their attempting to handle it! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my R800x

As evidenced by the fact that they overload every phone with Verizon services like VZ Navigator when the best navigation is already built in for free, or Verizon Video, Backup assistant, which is free but a better version is not, meanwhile Google itself does everything it does, and better.

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
As evidenced by the fact that they overload every phone with Verizon services like VZ Navigator when the best navigation is already built in for free, or Verizon Video, Backup assistant, which is free but a better version is not, meanwhile Google itself does everything it does, and better.

I couldn't agree more, who in their right mind would pay for vz navigation with Google maps/nav. And Vz video is way overpriced especially when YouTube is free and ya basically everything they have Google already has built into android its ridiculous that Verizon needs to add that stuff!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
They also responded to my email with basically the same story. At least they didn't wash their hands of it and tell me to call sony:

Good afternoon. My name is Ryan and it will be my pleasure to address your concerns in relation to the software update that has been done on your Sony Xperia Play device. I understand how frustrating it can be when the email push is not working correctly. I am very sorry that this issue is so constant at this time.

I have verified that this is currently a known issue and our technical teams are working around the clock with the device manufacturer to develop a software patch which will fix problems the device is having since the most recent software has been updated. When it comes to email notifications, a great work around would be to use your browser to check the website itself (www.gmail.com) for new emails until the fix is initiated and available after testing stages are complete.

I appreciate your patience while we work on a fix with the manufacturer.

What you mean they are actually gonna test it this time?!?!?!

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
So I talked over chat to a verizon rep, they offered a replacement phone (no thats useless). Someone FINALLY responded to the issue on the support forums, but basically told the guy to "download the latest update" to which I responded the latest update is the cause of the problem!

Now I'm at the point of just considering cancelling and buying an unlocked PLAY, but the ETF is $350 minus $10 for every month you have used in the contract, so for me I'd have to pay $240 since I'm stuck till next July (signed a 2 year when I got this). That I am NOT paying, so I may just call up and complain and see if we can part ways amicably.

They were good to me in the past but they have continued to suck and suck more (between this and the new scams of a contract and the elimination of unlimited data). If I somehow end up staying, when next July rolls around I am going unlocked phone and anybody but Verizon.

Reactions: University of Pi

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
So I talked over chat to a verizon rep, they offered a replacement phone (no thats useless). Someone FINALLY responded to the issue on the support forums, but basically told the guy to "download the latest update" to which I responded the latest update is the cause of the problem!

Now I'm at the point of just considering cancelling and buying an unlocked PLAY, but the ETF is $350 minus $10 for every month you have used in the contract, so for me I'd have to pay $240 since I'm stuck till next July (signed a 2 year when I got this). That I am NOT paying, so I may just call up and complain and see if we can part ways amicably.

They were good to me in the past but they have continued to suck and suck more (between this and the new scams of a contract and the elimination of unlimited data). If I somehow end up staying, when next July rolls around I am going unlocked phone and anybody but Verizon.

I hope you can come to some kind of resolution with it all. Its pretty tempting to go gsm :)

Sent from my R800x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?