[HOW TO] Root Samsung Epic on FC09 with prerooted ROM

Search This thread

flatulence

Oct 1, 2012
Salt Lake City
I tried removing the drivers off of my main computer and that didn't work. And just for kicks I plugged the phone into my Linux box and thed phone responded. I think it has more to do with the computer than the OS, but it's a start. I have VMware loaded with W7 as w7 home premium doesn't support multi processors. If that doesn't work I'll have to find Vista Pro.

I'm looking forward to helping the c,ommunity when I get things going.

Windows is really good at saying it removed something when it didn't. I had a similar problem getting one device to work on the computer I used to root about 15 different phones. If you use a program called USBDeview, you can see what's still installed (driverwise) and nuke anything that doesn't belong. You'll be surprised by how many devices have left their drivers all over your system!!
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

dsmryder

Jan 26, 2012
Moving along

I got the phone to connect for a couple of minutes. I was able to transfer the CMR, but then lost connection. I did find that the USB port is corroded on one of the wires and I'm not that good at soldering.

I know that it's exciting to see another dude ROOT his phone, but that's not why I posted. If I can connect via Mass storage mode, does that mean the drivers are propperly installed? My next attempt will be straight to ODIN so I want to be as sure as I can. Thank you for your responces and Keep Epic alive!

niteNarmor

Nov 24, 2012
Jacksonville
If you can connect to mass storage and are able to transfer files from computer to phone, then yes drivers are correctly installed.
But before doing anything, make sure you replace your USB cord. You do not want to lose connection during any Odin process. You may just brick your device if you lose connection.

dsmryder

Jan 26, 2012
If you can connect to mass storage and are able to transfer files from computer to phone, then yes drivers are correctly installed.
But before doing anything, make sure you replace your USB cord. You do not want to lose connection during any Odin process. You may just brick your device if you lose connection.

Oh, trust me. It's not the cord this time. It's the USB port. I might post a picture if anybody cares. I hope to work on it when the audio port comes in.

dsmryder

Jan 26, 2012
I see said the blind man to the deaf woman told by the mute child.

Just a little slow tonite.

Well, if you guy are like me then you do most of your forums work late at nite, and thus it is very understandable.

As an update,I did manage to clean up the phone's port and am now rooted:) now I have to find time to work on a project. Although it seems this phone is well supported.

Y'all's help is very apperciated! Hope to see you around.

Last edited:

sidgallup

Dec 13, 2012
Hi, i can succesfully flash recovery using this guide, however, my camera button is busted so i can't boot into recovery after flashing it, any ideas on how could i root and then boot into recovery with a fautly button?

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

n80k

Nov 3, 2010
Chesapeake, VA
I came from cm9 and everything works fine.

It only takes 15 seconds for Odin to do its thing (as opposed to the 1-2 mins described in the post) and the log looks like this.

<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> recovery.bin
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/006> Removed!!

Then I try installing the zip from my sd card through cwm. It then tells me that all sorts of script asserts failed and then

E: Error in /sdcard/Deodexed-FC09.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted.

Did I do something wrong? I tried toggling asserts and signature verification, and re-downloaded the rom but no joy.

Last edited:

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Did you remember to include the pit file and select repartition in odin and then reroot to get custom cwm recivery?

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
No, I didn't. Where are the instructions for that? I don't see them. Maybe I'm blind lol

If you are coming from CM9 it means you are on the MTD partition and not BML so you should start from scratch and use the How to Restore a semi-bricked Epic thread, then follow the root instructions here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: n80k

XxSPH-D700xX

Jul 24, 2013
how can i fix

Hey i followed all instructions and downloaded everything from the links but when i pressed start on odin some message poped up saying what file i put in pda and then some asian type language poped up after the file. Is there any way i can fix it or is it already bricked.

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Hey i followed all instructions and downloaded everything from the links but when i pressed start on odin some message poped up saying what file i put in pda and then some asian type language poped up after the file. Is there any way i can fix it or is it already bricked.

Might be a bad download. Try to redownload the ROM and reflash...make sure you have a good Blackberry cable as the stock cable sucks for using with Odin and often causes data corruption.

nike0518

Jan 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
Can I use the newest Odin to root the S3 or do I have to use this version?

I've rooted & unrooted my epic a few times before using this method & never had any problems ( I did brick my phone 1 time ). I now have an S3 but my little brother uses the epic & i rooted+unrooted it before for him too..
He keeps messing with cwm & messed it up so i unrooted it to fix it but now when i try to root it keeps failing in Odin. Ive deleted all the files needed & redownloaded them + unroot completely . But it fails everytime in odin. Ive uninstalled drivers reinstalled ...
now I didnt swap cables bc i dont think that is the problem bc it unroots fine...just when i try to root it fails anyway.

so I was going to see if The odin version i use for rooting the s3 , would be ok to use for the epic?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has been brought to my attention that there is no thread for this based on files available on XDA so without further ado:

Make sure you have a good data cable preferably a heavy duty Blackberry cable. If you do not have drivers installed on your laptop you can either let Windows Update load them for you or download them from here: http://d-h.st/m0r (Thanks Dyehya for hosting)

Download Odin for the Epic 4G here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32800014/Odin3+v1.85.zip

Download CWM 5.0.2.7 tar file from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32800014/cwm-5.0.2.7-epic4g.tar

Download FC09 prerooted stock deodexed ROM from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1580931
    I recommend the MTD version to have more room for apps in storage. You can also use the ROM of your choice here such as The People's ROM, CM9 or CM10.

Put this ROM on your sd card where you can find it.

OK, now you are ready to root and install your ROM.
    Unpack Odin onto your computer.
    Open Odin.
    Uncheck the auto reboot.
    Place the cwm-5.0.2.7-epic4g.tar file in the PDA slot on Odin by clicking PDA and choosing the file from where you placed it when downloaded to the computer.
    Now place your powered off Epic in download mode by pressing and holding the "1" key on the side out keyboard then add pressing and holding the power button until the yellow triangle shows up.
    Now connect the cable from the computer to the phone (use the rear ports on a desktop or the one you used when installing the drivers on a laptop) A yellow box should show up with a COM number in Odin.
    Hit START in Odin. It will run through in a mintute or two and say complete. The yellow triangle will still be on the phone.
    Now disconnect the cable and pop the battery out and back in. DO NOT POWER ON YET.
    Now press and hold the camera button, add pressing and holding the volume down button, then add pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds. It should boot into CWM 5.0.2.7
    Now choose "Install zip from sd card" by using the volume keys to move up and down and the camer button to select.
    Now pick "Choose zip from sd card"
    Navigate to where you placed the ROM file you put there earlier and select that directory and then file.
    The ROM should install. If you chose an MTD ROM it will reboot a couple of times to do the conversion.
    Select reboot when all done and you should be rooted with ROM installed.

Here is a video by my pal qbking77 with links to the files as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9eaCtiS0Bo

DISCLAIMER: This is at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damages to your phone or for loss of data. Make sure your contacts are stored on Google. I am not responsible for the joy found by flashing custom ROMs. I am not responsible for your girlfriend leaving you, your favorite show being cancelled, or for causing the zombie apocalypse!

There is another method to just root without flashing a custom ROM that I will get to this week if needed.
    OK, thanks to my pal Flastnoles11 for suggesting this method. Can someone please test this and make sure it works? Thanks.

This should give you root only with stock recovery returned thanks to SamSprint for reinstalling stock recovery upon boot:

Make sure you have a good data cable preferably a heavy duty Blackberry cable. If you do not have drivers installed on your laptop you can either let Windows Update load them for you or download them from here: http://d-h.st/m0r (Thanks Dyehya for hosting)

Download Odin for the Epic 4G here: http://d-h.st/i1Q

Download CWM 5.0.2.7 tar file from here: http://d-h.st/nIo

Download SU.ZIP from here: http://d-h.st/zrf and place on your sd card where you can find it.

OK, now you are ready to root.
    Unpack Odin onto your computer.
    Open Odin.
    Uncheck the auto reboot.
    Place the cwm-5.0.2.7-epic4g.tar file in the PDA slot on Odin by clicking PDA and choosing the file from where you placed it when downloaded to the computer.
    Now place your powered off Epic in download mode by pressing and holding the "1" key on the side out keyboard then add pressing and holding the power button until the yellow triangle shows up.
    Now connect the cable from the computer to the phone (use the rear ports on a desktop or the one you used when installing the drivers on a laptop) A yellow box should show up with a COM number in Odin.
    Hit START in Odin. It will run through in a mintute or two and say complete. The yellow triangle will still be on the phone.
    Now disconnect the cable and pop the battery out and back in. DO NOT POWER ON YET.
    Now press and hold the camera button, add pressing and holding the volume down button, then add pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds. It should boot into CWM 5.0.2.7
    Now choose "Install zip from sd card" by using the volume keys to move up and down and the camer button to select.
    Now pick "Choose zip from sd card"
    Navigate to where you placed the SU.ZIP file you put there earlier and select that directory and then file.
    SU should install.
    Select reboot when all done and you should be rooted.
    You may need to download and install Busybox from Play as well as update Superuser.

You can follow the same video in the first post except instead of the stock ROM you will grab SU.ZIP and that is what you will be flashing.

METHOD 3
    @phonehunter59 has made an odinable root method here as well. It will install a rooted kernel and CWM.
    I see said the blind man to the deaf woman told by the mute child.

Just a little slow tonite.

Well, if you guy are like me then you do most of your forums work late at nite, and thus it is very understandable.

As an update,I did manage to clean up the phone's port and am now rooted:) now I have to find time to work on a project. Although it seems this phone is well supported.

Y'all's help is very apperciated! Hope to see you around.
    Thank you for this How To. I haven't messed with my Epic in months (Since I got an EVO LTE on launch day). Following your How To and some other tips you posted in the FC09 Stock/Rooted rom thread, I've got this device working just how I need it to. Really appreciate you taking the time to document the process. Take care and have good holiday season or Merry Christmas if that doesn't offend you ;=-)
    I tried removing the drivers off of my main computer and that didn't work. And just for kicks I plugged the phone into my Linux box and thed phone responded. I think it has more to do with the computer than the OS, but it's a start. I have VMware loaded with W7 as w7 home premium doesn't support multi processors. If that doesn't work I'll have to find Vista Pro.

I'm looking forward to helping the c,ommunity when I get things going.

Windows is really good at saying it removed something when it didn't. I had a similar problem getting one device to work on the computer I used to root about 15 different phones. If you use a program called USBDeview, you can see what's still installed (driverwise) and nuke anything that doesn't belong. You'll be surprised by how many devices have left their drivers all over your system!!
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html