5.7.906 Install Failure

Search This thread

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
Ok, so I know that Colton22 and I have a strange issue that's baffling many, CellZealot included. At the moment (4/24 13:20 EST), I'm talking to Moto via live chat and they're reporting to me, from pulling my MEID, that I'm on 5.7.906, which fails every time I attempt to install it.

Now, I'm being referred to their "Level 2 Department"... We'll see how this goes. I'll post up the full chat log later. Updates to come.

13:39 - Just got transferred to India. They must be getting serious! :p

13:51 - India is reporting that since I'm rooted, I can't accept 5.7.906 (Lie, it's been done many times), except that, according to them, my MEID shows 5.7.906...? He gave me a case number and then I said I'll RSD to 5.6.890 and call back from a stock system and not ICS.

So, I can't accept it, but I'm running it, but I'm actually not, because it bricks me... Thanks Moto.

14:33 - Back on the phone with Moto, now from box stock 5.6.890 flashed with RSD. She keeps telling me I'm rooted. hehehe :D No, I'm not. I was 20 minutes ago, though.

14:35 - This lady is telling me 5.6.890 is the latest, after India told me 5.7.906 was. Get your **** straight Moto.

14:59 - They're elevating me to a higher level of support. :)

15:12 - Level 3 support will be calling me back soon. Level 2 guy said he "definitely learned something today" after I told him about pulling builds from the servers and flashing them through stock recovery.

Here's the chat log... (Replaced my name with "Me".)

Code:
  Rez: Hi, my name is Rez. How may I help you?
  Me: I have a question about the wireless radio in my Droid 3.
  Me: It's unable to accept signed images pulled from the Moto Development servers
  Rez: Do you mean cannot open signed images from Moto Development's website?
  Me: When I try to flash the 5.7.906 firmware update that is now shipping on refurbished D3's, the phone fails to flash the update.
  Rez: I am sorry to hear that. Let me do my best to help you with that.
  Rez: Can I have the serial number of your phone, please?
  Rez: On your dialer, please enter *#06#.
  Me: One minute.  I just pulled by battery thinking it was under there.
  Rez: Sorry about that.
  Me: No problem
  Me: **REMOVED MY MEID**
  Rez: Thank you.  One moment, please.
  Me: Ok.
  Rez: Thank you for holding, my apologies for the delay.
  Me: Just lost power. Give me one minute to tether data so I don't get booted.
  Communication with the RightNow Chat service has been lost.  Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
  Disconnection in 240 seconds.
  Connection resumed.
  Me: Are we still connected?
  Communication with the RightNow Chat service has been lost.  Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
  Disconnection in 240 seconds.
  Connection resumed.
  Me: And power came back on already.
  Rez: We are, “Me”. 
  Rez: Did you receive my last message?
  Me: I don't believe so.
  Rez: Does it show any error message?
  Me: When I try to flash the 5.7.906 update?
  Me: From Android Recovery, I select "apply update from sdcard" then get...
  Me: ---Install /sdcard...
  Me: Finding update package...
  Me: Opening update package...
  Me: Verifying update package...
  Me: Installing update...
  Me: assert failed: motorola.motoflash("/tmp/bp.img")
  Me: E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
  Me: (Status 7)
  Me: Installation aborted.
  Rez: Did you try to power cycle it like turn it off and on?  How about remove and reinsert battery?
  Me: Yes.  I've even wiped data and successfully re-installed system version 5.6.890 with RSD Lite.
  Rez: I see.   But it shows here that your software version is already 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US.
  Rez: What we can do is factory reset the phone, “Me”.
  Me: That's very weird.  When I install 5.7.906, I get that whole error I posted above.
  Rez: The last option we can do is reset the phone. I can send you the instructions within 2 minutes via email after our chat and you can always check your spam or junk mails.
  Me: I've wiped data many times.  I wipe data, install 5.6.890 with RSD Lite, boot into Android Recovery, and then try to install it and it fails.
  File attachment upload has started.
  The file IMG_2355.JPG (5854.95KB) was received. (Photo of error on screen.)
  Me: This is what happens when I install over box stock 5.6.890.
  Rez: Let me refer you to our Level 2 Department, “Me”.  Can I have your physical address and contact number, please?
  Me: You mean street address and cell phone number?
  Me: Removed my address and number.

Last edited:

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
Motorola fact check please?

Huh?

But yes, the lowest level of tech support insists 890 is the newest, but when you push with level 2, they will admit that 906 is the latest build. It's almost like they (Tier 2+) know that 906 exists, but they just haven't pushed it OTA yet, despite it being shipped out on refurbs.

Plus how are you on 5.7.906 when you are on 5.6.890?

This baffled me. I happily supplied my MEID and nearly became incontinent when they said I was on 906. I'm pretty damn sure that the install fails every time, leaving me bricked, and I can't get up and running again until I FXZ to 890.

Last edited:

slayer621

Dec 12, 2011
Maybe some part of the install succeeds? I don't know a lot about this, but is it possible that some part of the flash succeeds (like just changing your version number)?

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
Maybe some part of the install succeeds? I don't know a lot about this, but is it possible that some part of the flash succeeds (like just changing your version number)?

But I can't boot until I flash brand new 5.6.890. That's the only way to fix 5.7.906 failing. Tier 3 never called me, but I think I have time to play phone tag tomorrow, so there may be some updates then.

dsw361

Mar 9, 2011
But I can't boot until I flash brand new 5.6.890. That's the only way to fix 5.7.906 failing. Tier 3 never called me, but I think I have time to play phone tag tomorrow, so there may be some updates then.

Is there any chance you got a bad download of the update?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

dsw361

Mar 9, 2011
Here's an idea. Have you tried plugging your phone in to your PC, mounting your sdcard, then running a scan on your sdcard to check for any errors?

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
Here's an idea. Have you tried plugging your phone in to your PC, mounting your sdcard, then running a scan on your sdcard to check for any errors?

I have not, but I do play music and store photos from/to the ext-sd every day. I am planning to back it up, then format and only put the update on it here soon though.

D

donottouch

for updating i always using a small 1/2GB card try that i just downloaded several files for now and waiting UK customs release my Droid 3 for delivery. then try to update it to 5.7.906 let you know.

Top Liked Posts