Rooted Nook Color Stuck Boot on Dev Screen

Search This thread

Scintie

Jul 20, 2011
NookColor Version 1.2

About 2ish months ago I bought a nook color for my significant other, but I was having problems getting sideloaded books to work right on it so I decided to try and root it. I'm not extremely tech savvy, but can usually do something like this if I have directions.I rooted with manualnooter-4-6-16 The root went well and it was working fine for a couple days until dummy me started messing with it, don't know what it was that "bricked" it but I had updated the flash player then was in the rom manager and hit the backup button. The keyboard was acting funny so I rebooted it, it got to the screen that says Nook Color with the little android dude in the bottom right (nook color devs) and that screen just kept replaying itself except it would stop at the first O in Color and start over. I tried doing some research and followed a couple tutorials on how to return the nook to stock, none has been successful. The first one I followed was video tutorial on youtube to return it to stock 1.0.1, when it asked me to format the data I got and error format data failed..I just skipped that step and moved on. It booted and still showed me the nook color devs screen and once it completely booted showed a "How do you want to finish this action?" With only Home and Softkeys as a choice, I hit home and all it was was a black screen with a bunch of errors. so I tried a different tutorial, the next one I tried was to return it to 1.2 I followed the instructions, it again gave me a error cannot format data, I ignored it..it booted to the nook devs screen and just kept playing over again. I'm lost on what to do, I've searched and searched.
If it matters I've been using a 16gb micro sd because thats all I have, and was using the 2gb clockwork recovery image. I just want it returned to stock, and can't for the life of me figure out how.
Please someone explain to me in the most dumbed down way how to fix this darned thing.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Don't know how serious "brick" it was on your definition but let say on scale of 10, yr NC is bricked level 9 :). Still, no need to panic
1. Get the uSD card (2GB is enough)
2. make it flashable with CwM Recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery) either v3.0.2.8 or v3.2.0.1
3. hunt for "re-partition/re-format" thread, read through. I'll update the link if I find it, can't remember where on top of my head now.
4. perform the repartition/reformat back to original v1.2 NOOK
5. hunt for "restore to NOOK for v1.2". Again, I'll update the link later
6. flash it
7. keep all your fingers crossed

Scintie

Jul 20, 2011
Will try that, thank you..Hope it works..seriously cant afford to spend another 250 dollars to replace it

Edit: Fixed :) The 8 interrupted boots seemed to have fixed it, thanks for your help!

Last edited: