FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Top Tech YouTubers Review the OnePlus 6!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview & Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,011

By CMTeamEpic, Retired Recognized Developer on 13th December 2012, 08:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd March 2013, 11:08 PM |#1101  
Flag Waukegan
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Re: [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview Builds for Samsung Epic 4G
I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies. If that wasn't the intention, then in my opinion it was pointless. I can download the file on my computer and transfer it much faster than what my phone does, which if I'm gonna have to wipe things to get it to work properly y not just do that? The last time I flashed from 1 nightly to another I had to wipe cache, then dalvik, and I format system. Then of course flash gapps after the rom. Flashing the gapps is what gets me. With CM10 I jumped back and forth between what I wanted when I wanted and never had any issues including battery life loss or anything. If the cmupdater was not made to make things easy like that then ill try to have a little more patience.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

24th March 2013, 12:23 AM |#1102  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicN

Edit: Not trying to come off in a negative way, just trying to learn more

No negativity taken. and thanks flast for your corroboration.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
24th March 2013, 12:24 AM |#1103  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsears90

I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies.

I think that was the point. I typically just do a dirty flash and rarely have problems with the updates. You also have to think about a lot of users who may not be savvy enough to do it manually. Say I installed CM on my mom's phone. If there's a milestone or stable update, it should prompt her to install it no fuss. Everything is great unless she has a problem, then I can step in and manually work on it. I think most of the time dirty flashing works well enough that the update is the easiest route. I use it every few days and can't remember ever having a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copticwalad

Random question, anyone considering going for Galaxy S4 and any developers plan to support it?

If someone comes out with a "pro" keyboard version like the did with the S in the form of the Epic: In a heartbeat. I doubt that will happen, though. Which is sad. I think there's definitely a (profitable) niche market for the hardware keyboard, and no other phone is offering it right now. If anyone did, everyone like me (and probably most people in the Epic forums) would jump on it instantly.

The other condition I'd upgrade is if an accessory manufacturer came out with a good-quality slider keyboard case. There are several for the iPhone, and given the popularity of the Galaxy S, I am hoping someone will see the opportunity for profit. It might suck to have to leave bluetooth on all the time, but in my little fantasy, such a case would somehow include an extended battery (if such a thing is even needed with 2600 mAh stock.)
24th March 2013, 12:27 AM |#1104  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Did you try CyanDelta app which will only download the delta changes, apply to your base CM 10.1 nightly and even does auto install.

I've been doing that for the nightlies and haven't had any issue with data wipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to wakkigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wakkigy Ad-Free
24th March 2013, 12:48 AM |#1105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsears90

I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies. If that wasn't the intention, then in my opinion it was pointless. I can download the file on my computer and transfer it much faster than what my phone does, which if I'm gonna have to wipe things to get it to work properly y not just do that? The last time I flashed from 1 nightly to another I had to wipe cache, then dalvik, and I format system. Then of course flash gapps after the rom. Flashing the gapps is what gets me. With CM10 I jumped back and forth between what I wanted when I wanted and never had any issues including battery life loss or anything. If the cmupdater was not made to make things easy like that then ill try to have a little more patience.

You're correct. CM updater is there to make things easier. It flashes the rom and wipes the caches as part of the process. That's all that should be needed. The CM install script effectively plucks gapps out, wipes system, and puts the gapps back. But sometimes, remnants are left behind that could result in conflicts/FC's. That's why wiping system is a failsafe way to guarantee a clean system install. You shouldn't have to do it, but it is easy enough to do.

Data could become corrupt, but as flast said, is a slight chance. It's also possible that some personal system setting data related to an older/different version of a ROM is conflicting with a change to the build.

Battery life is both the increased draw by the advanced OS were running and often the age of our batteries. I've had massive drops after reboot on ROMs back to SFR 2.2. It happens, and usually isn't a cronic problem. But YMMV

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by copticwalad

I got a bit thrown off for CM10.1 when they hid the developer menu and the cmupdater would autoinstall without gapps or pausing in recovery. But was happy to find that tap About Phone Build 7times to restore developer options so I can reboot into recovery without the awkward hold 3 buttons method each time, lol.

CM didn't hide Dev options, I believe that was Google.
See my previous post regarding what the updater does. CM doesnt come with gapps and doesn't wipe gapps.

Edit:

I just used CM updater to flash today's nightly. It rebooted with no gapps. Either there is some major intentional change that has happened or unintentionally the updater script is not preserving the gapps. Bummer. I have to top off the battery, then I will try doing things the old fashioned way in clockwork. I'm sure that will work fine.

24th March 2013, 01:45 AM |#1106  
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesquipedalian

I think that was the point. I typically just do a dirty flash and rarely have problems with the updates. You also have to think about a lot of users who may not be savvy enough to do it manually. Say I installed CM on my mom's phone. If there's a milestone or stable update, it should prompt her to install it no fuss. Everything is great unless she has a problem, then I can step in and manually work on it. I think most of the time dirty flashing works well enough that the update is the easiest route. I use it every few days and can't remember ever having a problem.

If someone comes out with a "pro" keyboard version like the did with the S in the form of the Epic: In a heartbeat. I doubt that will happen, though. Which is sad. I think there's definitely a (profitable) niche market for the hardware keyboard, and no other phone is offering it right now. If anyone did, everyone like me (and probably most people in the Epic forums) would jump on it instantly.

The other condition I'd upgrade is if an accessory manufacturer came out with a good-quality slider keyboard case. There are several for the iPhone, and given the popularity of the Galaxy S, I am hoping someone will see the opportunity for profit. It might suck to have to leave bluetooth on all the time, but in my little fantasy, such a case would somehow include an extended battery (if such a thing is even needed with 2600 mAh stock.)

I couldn't agree more about the keyboard. While swype is decent (even the swype-alternative built into jelly bean), as soon as I have to type my password I need my keyboard or spend 4x the time typing it on screen. I was hoping for a keyboard case too because I have seen them on iphones (See one here on Amazon). I heard from one sprint store that one reason they aren't making them as often is because the sliding mechanism tends to break over time and isn't as reliable, but I dunno.. my keyboard used nearly everyday for 2.5 years and still perfect.
If I was a parts manufacturer I'd make a magnetically attached one. Battery itself can be quite magnetic, and it would be an easy way to attach and detach. I've become more fascinated with car mounts that mount magnetically lately.
However I think I'm going to go with S4 cause there's other ways if u need to type fast. WifiKeyboard lets u use computer keyboard to type quickly on ur phone. Bluetooth keyboards like Logitechs.. but the tough one is just having the all-in-one solution. You could grab a smart docking station and hook up usb keyboard, usb mouse, and a terabyte external storage at the same time, I find that geeky but cool. That new game controller (wii+xbox360 controller child) makes you wonder if they have a qwerty version of it.
This is highly worth considering because it's keyboard and gaming controller and designed to work on everything. iControlpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkigy

Did you try CyanDelta app which will only download the delta changes, apply to your base CM 10.1 nightly and even does auto install.

I've been doing that for the nightlies and haven't had any issue with data wipe.

Brilliant, I'm going to try it out asap.
24th March 2013, 06:10 AM |#1107  
Flag Waukegan
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hopefully the cmupdater is fixed and we won't have to flash gapps manually. Going through the process of syncing ur gmail account with the phone every couple of days or so is just a little annoying

24th March 2013, 11:55 AM |#1108  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
ROM Toolbox backups your account info. No need to go through the whole Google set up after flashing gapps.

24th March 2013, 03:59 PM |#1109  
Flag Reno
Thanks Meter: 519

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant23

ROM Toolbox backups your account info. No need to go through the whole Google set up after flashing gapps.

Does the lite version backup account info or is it the paid version?
24th March 2013, 05:15 PM |#1110  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicN

Does the lite version backup account info or is it the paid version?

In theory, if we didn't wipe data, the Google one time setup shouldn't even show up. Something has gone pear shaped or CM had to make a move to appease Google. But usually, I find out about big CM changes on G+ a night before the change happens. So, I'm guessing this was unintentional.

24th March 2013, 05:20 PM |#1111  
Flag Reno
Thanks Meter: 519

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by propjockey

In theory, if we didn't wipe data, the Google one time setup shouldn't even show up. Something has gone pear shaped or CM had to make a move to appease Google. But usually, I find out about big CM changes on G+ a night before the change happens. So, I'm guessing this was unintentional.

Makes sense. So if you have inside information, I hope the m3 is going to drop soon
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)