[Procedure]No HTC unlock downgrade HC-GB for official OTA

Search This thread

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
This procedure applies to both flyers and view

Required downloads
  1. First download the Gingerbread RUU for your device from this thread.
  2. If you don't have adb and fastboot on your PC
    • Get fastboot and adb tool for windows here
    • Get Fastboot and adb for linux here
    • I don't have a simple bundde for Mac, would welcome a link if anyone has one.
  3. Download my universal misc_version and unzip to obtain the misc_version file.
  4. Download tacoroot
  5. Place both the misc_version and tacoroot.bin files in the same directory as adb

Procedure
  1. Check the version number for your gingerbread RUU
    In my example I am using this RUU: RUU_Flyer_HTC_WWE_2.00.405.3_R_Radio_20.3501.30.08 9BU_3809.05.04.10_M_release_194964_signed.exe
    The version is the part highlighted in red.
  2. Boot your flyer up to android if it's not already on, with usb debugging enabled and connect it to the PC.
  3. Run the following adb commands
    Code:
    adb push tacoroot.bin /data/local
    adb push misc_version /data/local
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.bin
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --setup
    At this point your device will reboot to recovery
  4. Simultaneously press Volume Up, Volume Down and Power
  5. Reboot your device
  6. Run the following command
    Code:
     adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --root
    Your device will reboot, do not worry if it does not boot fully, it doesn't matter for this procedure, and it is a side effect of this root exploit.
  7. Run the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell /data/local/misc_version -s [COLOR="Red"]2.00.405.3[/COLOR]
    Note that the number in RED is the version number retrieved in step 1.
  8. Reboot to fastboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  9. Run your RUU ( if on linux or mac, see other similar threads from me on how to RUU on those OSes )

Special Thanks
jcase for providing the tacoroot.

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Nice release globatron! I was actually looking at Tacoroot for this last night but didn't really want to go into it too much and decided against using it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one with the idea for it though. :p

globatron

Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
heh, Gave jcase the updated misc_version so he has it on the github radme for tacoroot already but didn't want to release the procedure until I has actually tested misc_version to run on at least a few HTC emmc devices and with multiple version string lengths.

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Even if you didn't release this today, I probably would have started on it tonight, I'm a bored teenager with too much time. :p Still, keep up the good work. If you want me to make a script for you or anything, let me know and I'll get to work on it. (also, you know you can actually have adb from the recovery so you dont need to hit the buttons on it, just have it wait then adb reboot (or even adb shell reboot))

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
yep, didnt notice it until someone tried to do my procedure today lol... copy and paste my friend lol. Plus I just need to know one thing. This brings you down to GB but still keeps you locked right? You still technically have to use HTC unlock to bring it back to 1.13.000 correct?

jet101

Dec 13, 2011

Required downloads

the download link takes me to the flyer RUU, i understand the view & flyer are the same except the 3g/4g network on the View. i just want to make sure i download the correct RUU for my View. what verision do i need? this one "RUU_Express_Sprint_WWE_1.22.651.1_Radio_1.05.11.0531_NV_2.28_SPCS_release_198141_signed.exe"

agian thank you for the support

chandlerchaos

Jan 12, 2012
Hello, thanks for the downgrade help. Upgraded to honeycomb and hated it so I followed your instructions and everything went exactly as described until the middle of the RUU upgrade itself where it stopped and gave me an

ERROR[140]: BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR

The ROM Update utility cannot update your android phone
Please get the correct ROM update utility and try again.

It won't successfully reboot now. When I go back to bootloader mode the recover screen shows

*** LOCKED ***
express pvt ship s-on rl
hboot-1.14.0005
microp-0656
radio-1.05.01.1006_3
emmc-boot
oct 25 2011, 16:35:13

used RUU_Express_Sprint_WWE_1.22.651.1

Its completely stock, was notified of the new update by htc and installed it over wifi. Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

globatron

Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
What appears to have happened here is that somewhere along the way something didn't work fully and you failed to set the version to the same as or lower than the RUU you used.

I would need to see the output of :
Code:
fastboot getvar version-main
to be absolutely certain of this. If that is the case then becasue you are completely stock the best course of action would be for you to return it for repair. Tell the technical support people that this happened when you tried to take the OTA update to HoneyComb. The alternative will require you to use the HTC unlock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Required downloads
    2. If you don't have adb and fastboot on your PC
      • Get fastboot and adb tool for windows here
      • Get Fastboot and adb for linux here
      • I don't have a simple bundde for Mac, would welcome a link if anyone has one.
    3. Download my universal misc_version and unzip to obtain the misc_version file.
    4. Download tacoroot
    5. Place both the misc_version and tacoroot.bin files in the same directory as adb

Procedure
    1. Check the version number for your gingerbread RUU
      In my example I am using this RUU: RUU_Flyer_HTC_WWE_2.00.405.3_R_Radio_20.3501.30.08 9BU_3809.05.04.10_M_release_194964_signed.exe
      The version is the part highlighted in red.
    2. Boot your flyer up to android if it's not already on, with usb debugging enabled and connect it to the PC.
    3. Run the following adb commands
      Code:
      adb push tacoroot.bin /data/local
      adb push misc_version /data/local
      adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.bin
      adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/misc_version
      adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --setup
      At this point your device will reboot to recovery
    4. Simultaneously press Volume Up, Volume Down and Power
    5. Reboot your device
    6. Run the following command
      Code:
       adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --root
      Your device will reboot, do not worry if it does not boot fully, it doesn't matter for this procedure, and it is a side effect of this root exploit.
    7. Run the following command:
      Code:
      adb shell /data/local/misc_version -s [COLOR="Red"]2.00.405.3[/COLOR]
      Note that the number in RED is the version number retrieved in step 1.
    8. Reboot to fastboot:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    9. Run your RUU ( if on linux or mac, see other similar threads from me on how to RUU on those OSes )

Special Thanks
    jcase for providing the tacoroot.
    Ok, that is done
    WWE? TUR? Brightstar? Where are you getting that from?

In the case of what thread you posted in you would want to choose option 6 on my tool. If that option doesnt work (only .01% of people reported that not working) then do option 2 (in which you will have to be "HTC unlocked")

Umm, those appear to be the different RUU versions available for the Flyer?
    Hi, my Flyer is S-OFF with LeeDroid HC.

But i really don't like it and wanna back to GB. Follow all steps in here and went all smooth until i run the RUU.

After RUU completed it reboot itself and show the HTC logo with max brightness, stay that way for more than 30 mins. I turn it off by long-press the device, then try to access bootloader hoping can re-do those steps again by pressing vol + & - & power at the same time, with no luck.
    No matter how many times I try it will show me the HTC logo only and nothing else.

Please advice on what should I do now.:confused::crying:

press and hold the power button (only) until it shuts off, you will see a orange light at the top (i think only if its plugged in). Once you see that orange light wait 5 seconds then press and hold the power and volume down buttons until it starts back up, should go to bootloader this time.

if that doesnt work it might be "with the light off" do it.