Audio out with MHL adapter?

Search This thread

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Does anyone know how audio is handled if the Note is connected to an external display via an MHL adapter? Will it route audio over HDMI, or do I have to option of having the audio play through the internal speaker or the 3.5mm audio jack? I want to connect the Note to my monitor, but I need to route audio separately. The easiest way would be out the headphone jack.

The MHL adapter I will be ordering is this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=8805

Theoriginalgiga

Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Both headphone jack and bluetooth audio will overide the MHL adapter audio automatically. No need to do anything but connect. No way that I know to use internal speaker though.

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Both headphone jack and bluetooth audio will overide the MHL adapter audio automatically. No need to do anything but connect. No way that I know to use internal speaker though.

This does not seem to be the case, at least with CM9-RC2. While the kernel is aware that a headset has been plugged in, only phone audio is affected. If I call my voicemail, I get the usual choice between headset or internal speaker. Phone audio does not route over HDMI. However, game and video playback audio always seems to go over HDMI. Clearly, the kernel is able to route audio where it wants (i.e., it isn't a hardware override).

Code:
08-07 21:51:12.685 I/HeadsetService(23637): Headset=true; Bluetooth=false
08-07 21:51:12.685 I/HeadsetService(23637): Selected configuration: headset
08-07 21:51:12.715 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 0, volume 0.031623, delay 0
08-07 21:51:12.715 E/AudioHardwareMSM8660(  182):  unknown stream
08-07 21:51:12.715 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 8, volume 0.031623, delay 0
08-07 21:51:12.725 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 1, volume 0.231074, delay 0
08-07 21:51:12.735 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 7, volume 0.226465, delay 0
08-07 21:51:12.905 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 9, volume 0.177318, delay 0
08-07 21:51:12.905 D/AudioPolicyManager(  182): setStreamVolume() for output 1 stream 4, volume 0.226465, delay 0

lilfellabob

Feb 5, 2009
Hey, I am trying to do the same thing (well I want music to play via bluetooth while MHL is outputting visual). Any progress or info?

lilfellabob

Feb 5, 2009
Hmm ok, thanks. I can just use audio from the hdmi but I'd prefer bluetooth if possible (just works nicer with my car's headunit)

taob

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
As I understand it, this is simply a feature (or limitation) of the way the OS handles audio routing. There's no reason why it cannot simultaneously send audio to any or all outputs. It's all digital and done in software, not like there is a physical connection that has to be switched over from internal speaker to HDMI. So it is just a matter of getting support for that in your ROM. Or grab the source code and do it yourself. ;)

lilfellabob

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah that makes sense - only I do not have the skills to do it myself and not sure how I'd search for a ROM that does that (I doubt many will advertise something like that)

Coincoin0017

Nov 21, 2010
Saintes
Sorry i made a mistake (i have edited my previous post), the free version works
just run the app after connecting the mhl adapter and set the sound over speaker

but the free version does not contains the digital output in the options if you want to reset the sound over the HDMI
there is only the paid version which can make it

but you can always disconnect and reconnect the câble and the sound is reset automatically over the HDMI ;)

Free / Paid
565499free.png
235429paid.png

(sorry for my english)

Last edited:

njweb

Nov 16, 2013
I found this app "SoundAbout" or "SoudAbout Pro" (if you want full functionality) witch let you change the output : MHL(Digital) or Speaker ;)

it works perfectly for me, sound on the smartphone and video on the monitor (tested on galaxy s3)

Thanks!!!
Works fine on my Galaxy Note 3 - I now get HDMI audio out with A generic MHL HDMI adapter I just receivedthat I hooked up to my Note 3 (although I also did need to hook up power via micro USB wall adapter charger to the MHL device).

The only issue is that the white plastic 'collar' around the plug does not allow the MHL micro USB plug to fit in my Note 3 USB port WHEN I have a case (Trident Cyclops) around the phone.
I am going to order micro USB to micro USB extension to address this.

In the meantime I was able to test the MHL cable with my Note 3 by temporarily removing (snapping off) the white plastic collar...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found this app "SoundAbout" or "SoudAbout Pro" (if you want full functionality) witch let you change the output : MHL(Digital) or Speaker ;)

it works perfectly for me, sound on the smartphone and video on the monitor (tested on galaxy s3)
    Sorry i made a mistake (i have edited my previous post), the free version works
    just run the app after connecting the mhl adapter and set the sound over speaker

but the free version does not contains the digital output in the options if you want to reset the sound over the HDMI
    there is only the paid version which can make it

but you can always disconnect and reconnect the câble and the sound is reset automatically over the HDMI ;)

Free / Paid
    565499free.png
    235429paid.png

(sorry for my english)
    Can I take the audio from my note 2 to my AV receiver using the headphone jack?

I wouldn't. The headphone is a slightly amplified connection as the AV receiver using RCA jacks is expecting a non amplified signal.
    There are adapter cables available so you can try it if you want. The headphone amplification is so small it may not hurt. I see nothing on the internet saying it could cause harm so it must be ok.
    There are adapter cables available so you can try it if you want. The headphone amplification is so small it may not hurt. I see nothing on the internet saying it could cause harm so it must be ok.

Have used it now.

Don't seem to be any problems