[Q] Flashing Clockworkmod on MAGLDR 1.13

Search This thread

ascrackoo1

Feb 1, 2008
Hi All,
I've been looking for an answer and have not found one yet.
I have an existing NAND build (MDJ cyanogen 7) of android that I flashed via magldr 1.11. I know I can update magldr to 1.13 safely without messing deleting the the nand rom i have already. But if I want to install Clockworkmod 1.3 onto the nand will I lose my existing rom need to reflash my rom again or does magldr know to flash clockworkmod onto another area of nand that wont overwrite my existing rom?

also with clockworkmod it says:
Download recovery with partition size for the type of rom you plan on using, see guide below if unsure.

it says to use the 150MB partition just wanted to see if anyone else using mdj's cyanogen 7 is using the same thing?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Hi All,
I have an existing NAND build (MDJ cyanogen 7) of android that I flashed via magldr 1.11. I know I can update magldr to 1.13 safely without messing deleting the the nand rom i have already. But if I want to install Clockworkmod 1.3 onto the nand will I lose my existing rom need to reflash my rom again or does magldr know to flash clockworkmod onto another area of nand that wont overwrite my existing rom?

Download recovery with partition size for the type of rom you plan on using, see guide below if unsure.

it says to use the 150MB partition just wanted to see if anyone else using mdj's cyanogen 7 is using the same thing?

Yes you will lose your current rom, so do a cwm backup first. After flashing the partition for cwm, you will get a kernel error on first boot, so boot into AD Recovery and restore the boot, system and data backups and all is back to normal. As for the partition size, use the same size as you did for the sd version. The guide suggests a 400mb partition for an unsquashed desire hd build, but I used the 250mb partition on my current rom and all is perfect.

PS! Please don't post questions in the ROM Dev section, there's a reason why there is a Q&A section.

Last edited:
Reactions: sp33dy_gtx

ascrackoo1

Feb 1, 2008
Since the rom was originally flashed via DAF, will CWM still allow me to do a backup?

Was hoping for a guide, it's so confusing.

StephanV

Nov 16, 2009
No, from what I understand you don't have CWM installed yet, so you can't use it now. Use titanium backup (market), and then flash cwm so you can use it in the future.

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Since the rom was originally flashed via DAF, will CWM still allow me to do a backup?

Was hoping for a guide, it's so confusing.
It seems confusing at first but it is not really that difficult.
No, from what I understand you don't have CWM installed yet, so you can't use it now. Use titanium backup (market), and then flash cwm so you can use it in the future.
Correct, on first flash of cwm it will erase all data/roms etc on NAND. You will not be able to backup the rom if it was initially flashed via daf. As StephanV says, use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root to back up your data/apps etc and you can restore them after.

Once you have cwm installed and have flashed a new rom and set it all up, then you can do a cwm backup.

ascrackoo1

Feb 1, 2008
So if i use cwm then I can only flash zip based roms from that point on? I cant use the daf ones anymore then. :(

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
You can still use daf, but each time you run a daf file it will remove the cwm recovery partition and you will need to reflash it to use cwm again.

ascrackoo1

Feb 1, 2008
I'm finding that if i flash cwm ontop of a daf rom the rom becomes unbootable. and the only way to get it to work again is use a cwm version of the rom.

wolfpack612

Nov 18, 2006
Hollywood
So if i use cwm then I can only flash zip based roms from that point on? I cant use the daf ones anymore then. :(

i'm not sure about the rom you are using but i was able to back up a few different roms with cwm which i installed using daf. this is what i did:

1. create a folder on sdcard name "cwm" (you can name it whatever you want). i actually have a folder for each clockwork recovery version.
2. put the zImage and initrd.gz for cwm (version 1.0,1.1,or 1.2) in the folder you just created. (do not flash anything at this point)
3. boot into magldr and go to services, boot settings, ad sd dir and select the directory you just created
4. now in magldr menu boot ad sd, and you should hopefully boot into clockwork
5. go to backup and restore and backup your rom. if you try cwm 1.2 and it doesn't work try 1.0 to back it up, you can then update to 1.2 again and it will still restore just fine.
6. before restoring your rom, install cwm1.3 and choose a partition size bigger than the size of the system.img of the rom that you backed up. clockwork backs up your rom in your sdcard->clockworkmod->backup. it creates a folder with the timestamp.
7. now you can follow the steps from the clockworkmod thread to load cwm1.3 and restore from there.

Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
You can still use daf, but each time you run a daf file it will remove the cwm recovery partition and you will need to reflash it to use cwm again.

I'm finding that if i flash cwm ontop of a daf rom the rom becomes unbootable. and the only way to get it to work again is use a cwm version of the rom.

dont bother 'installing' clockwork, just put the two files on your sd card, then go into your MDJcyanogen rom folder on the PC, open (in notepad) flash.cfg and it will look something like

boot ya|boot|ro filesize+1M boot.img
misc ya 1M
recovery ya|ro 3M
cache ya 3M
system ya filesize system.img
userdata ya|asize|hr allsize

the partitions 'recovery' and 'misc' will allow cwm to work, they arent needed for this rom, they are only there for compatibility however if you plan on flashing to a different rom using sd card/cwm, (rather than simply using cwm to do backups of MDJcyanogen) you will want to edit the

and maybe set it to one of teh recommended cwm sizes, example

system ya 150M

this is because the original line
will set a system partition of the same size as the MDJcyanogen system.img, (about 130meg) but if your next rom has a bigger system.img, when you try load it from cwm it wont fit, so wont work. by setting it to 150 (or whatever you want) you are allowing for different size system.img in various roms.

Whenever you flash a nand rom, so long as you edit the flash.cfg and make sure those two partitions, misc and recovery (and maybe cache too, i do) are there, then cwm will work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Yes you will lose your current rom, so do a cwm backup first. After flashing the partition for cwm, you will get a kernel error on first boot, so boot into AD Recovery and restore the boot, system and data backups and all is back to normal. As for the partition size, use the same size as you did for the sd version. The guide suggests a 400mb partition for an unsquashed desire hd build, but I used the 250mb partition on my current rom and all is perfect.

PS! Please don't post questions in the ROM Dev section, there's a reason why there is a Q&A section.