Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

Olivier V

Jan 25, 2013
I've tried this numerous times and am not able to install the TWRP.
There is no error message or symptoms of issues but when I restart, it's the stock recovery.

I have the SCH-I905 running 4.0.4 Kernel 3.1.10 (if that makes a difference).
Is there something I'm missing, or am I in the wrong thread?

I think you need to install cwm from the first post instead of twrp. After that you can always flash twrp from cwm.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Free mobile app

hoovnick

Mar 18, 2010
Needing some help guys. I've tried numerous cables, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, reboots, factory resets. I can't get my computer to recognize my tab. Keeps saying USB device not recognized from any USB port I try. Is there any possible way to root without a PC? I've tried towelroot, and any other .apk I could find with no luck. Any help is appreciated

Ok, found a solution for those wondering.
1: installed zroot (most recent) from Aptoide (www.aptoide.com) followed instructions on screen (simply hit the "tap to root" button)
2.1: installed ROM manager from Play Store just to push CWM recovery
2.2 : installed mobile odin pro (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1347899)
3: downloaded twrp, I used the 2.8.0.0 listed here, 1st post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2777161)
4: extract recovery.img to root of sd card (used simple unrar from the play store)
5: pushed recovery.img with mobile odin
6: reboot to recovery (make sure you enable developer options *clicking build number repeatedly* to enable 4 part reboot menu)
7: make backup

Now you can download the ROM/Kernel/etc of your choice and follow the devs instructions for flashing.

If anyone needs anything more specific let me know

Last edited:

Micha1975

Jan 3, 2015
Not working with P7501

Sorry, but I cannot confirm that this method is working.
I did it as described on the first page, but my tab stops with the downloading screen.

I checked it and I put the update.zip in the right folder.

Last edited:

Just_Another_N00b

Mar 2, 2012
Oil- and Cowtown, AB
Hey were you able to find the file? I just got a verizon 10.1 galaxy tab and I'm trying to root and do a custom rom...but most of these threads seem dead? Thanks!

There are two very active threads in this main group, both android 5.1.1 lollipop, and both add custom recovery, custom rom, minimal gapps and supersu. All from stock and as upgrade. Look for the top two active ones, one for OMNI and one for AOSP. Myself I am doing the AOSP one, including overclock... The p4wifi's I got do very well on that Custom ROM. For the Verizon one you probably can get away with the standard p4, but ask around there...

Sent from my p4wifi using XDA Free mobile app

JoAyoub

Nov 2, 2015
:rolleyes: my device is (Galaxy Samsung Tab 3 10.1 wifi and 3g :;p5200:: at update 4.2.2 ) am actually trayed every single one click methods on pc and on my device no single one works I trayed odin I break it so am little scared from this are you sure its safe method :(

Last edited:

Olivier V

Jan 25, 2013
:rolleyes: my device is (Galaxy Samsung Tab 3 10.1 wifi and 3g :;p5200:: at update 4.2.2 ) am actually trayed every single one click methods on pc and on my device no single one works I trayed odin I break it so am little scared from this are you sure its safe method :(

This is the forum for the P7510 and p7500. Your tab is a different model so the methods described in this forum might not work and could break your tablet. Better look in the correct forum if you don't want an expensive paperweight.

Memoryfull1

Dec 7, 2015
File has been removed

The file has been removed. I have been searching everywhere for a root solution for my Verizon 4G Tab S 10.1.

Ujku80

Jan 22, 2008
If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.

Any chance someone has the a link to the Update.zip file that is not broken link?

hugopugo

Jun 23, 2016
any updates for the new tab A 10.1 *2019*? cant seem to find a reliable instructions on how to root. all guides i tried just soft bricks my tab A :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.