Ubuntu Phone OS - Let's Find it and Port It!

Search This thread

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
Really? If it's a desktop OS, why nothing will work? I'm using Thunderbird it's pretty good email client.

P.S. I'm really excited to try Ubuntu, it's my the only OS for last 6 or 7 years. What can be better then to use the same OS everywhere :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

It will not be same as desktop Ubuntu in other words you can't simply download and run apps or compile them. The apps will only be installable from their app store. I am sure there will be ways around that probably. However it will have a dock mode where I think you will have the Ubuntu desktop when docked but most likely that will be available on their specific tablet and phone hardware. Time will tell and we will know more on the 21st but this initial release will be limited and lacking app store. It is a developer image for developers to start making apps for their app store and have the os to test with.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

starche_old

Apr 13, 2006
ON, Canada
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
Really? That's not fun... I hoped I can get desktop environment on the phone...

Anyways, let's wait for Feb 21st and see what will happen. If there will be dual boot, I'll try it on nexus 7. It will be hard to steal it from my daughter thought :)

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
Really? That's not fun... I hoped I can get desktop environment on the phone...

Anyways, let's wait for Feb 21st and see what will happen. If there will be dual boot, I'll try it on nexus 7. It will be hard to steal it from my daughter thought :)

Well I am hoping for the best like you are. I am excited for Ubuntu as well.

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
Well I am hoping for the best like you are. I am excited for Ubuntu as well.

So am I! When I seen the press release it did look like the mobile version is the exact same as the desktop, just a "theme" or a "skin" applied. Once the phone is docked it goes to desktop mode.

EDIT. Just watched the video again. So it is a mobile version, as powerful as it is, its up to the developers to get the apps out there. Still, I am very excited about this!

Last edited:

Bstrong9211

Jun 10, 2012
If you want to run a complete Ubuntu image you can using a vnc client. Look up "complete Linux indtaller" in the play store

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
If you want to run a complete Ubuntu image you can using a vnc client. Look up "complete Linux indtaller" in the play store

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Which is slow, and virtualized. Its more of a neat thing to play with, but by no means can be used for productivity. Its been available for quite some time, and now even has a simple installer from the Play store.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

idumych

Oct 31, 2009
Seattle, WA
Theoretically speaking: both Android and Ubuntu runs Linux kernel, i.e. all you need to do is just take hardware specific kernel modules and compile them into Ubuntu kernel. Sounds not that difficult for me, but I might missing smth

I'm by no means a developer, but here's what I've come to understand after reading these forums for a couple years.

Most Android phones ship with proprietary video drivers that can't be reused with other operating systems. Android uses its own framebuffer interface instead of x11, which every other Linux system that I've ever seen uses such as Meego, Mer, WebOS, etc. The only devices I know of that anyone has ever been able to get X11 working on are the nexus family and the HTC HD2. This is why we aren't able to run Linux natively on our phones currently, and get stuck using ghetto hacks like VNC.

I really would like to know if Ubuntu Phone is using X11 or not, I've been looking at varous places all morning and I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this. I'm hoping deep down inside that they figured out a way to use the Android framebuffer and rootless X windows a la Mac OSX, but that's probably a pipe dream.

muon69

Nov 22, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: idumych

idumych

Oct 31, 2009
Seattle, WA
I remember reading an interview with Shuttleworth somewhere and he said that ubuntu phone was designed in such a way that you could use android drivers with it. I'll look for it and post a link.

EDIT:
This isn't the article that I originally read but says pretty much the same thing:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/eyes-on-android-updates/2013/01/ubuntu-for-phones-leverages-android-drivers.html

Well there you have it kangers, the porting work is "trivial" according to Mr Hairychest. I expect the first test roms on my desk by tomorrow morning ;)

joshumax

Aug 19, 2011
www.github.com
I heard rumors that they were developing their own display server for Ubuntu. It would make sense as X is a bit clunky to run for a mobile display server.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I'm by no means a developer, but here's what I've come to understand after reading these forums for a couple years.

Most Android phones ship with proprietary video drivers that can't be reused with other operating systems. Android uses its own framebuffer interface instead of x11, which every other Linux system that I've ever seen uses such as Meego, Mer, WebOS, etc. The only devices I know of that anyone has ever been able to get X11 working on are the nexus family and the HTC HD2. This is why we aren't able to run Linux natively on our phones currently, and get stuck using ghetto hacks like VNC.

I really would like to know if Ubuntu Phone is using X11 or not, I've been looking at varous places all morning and I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this. I'm hoping deep down inside that they figured out a way to use the Android framebuffer and rootless X windows a la Mac OSX, but that's probably a pipe dream.

I heard rumors that they were developing their own display server for Ubuntu. It would make sense as X is a bit clunky to run for a mobile display server.

Edit: Oops. double posted. :eek:

cdshepherd

May 16, 2011
So the Ubuntu mobile OS has some cm guts in it?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

starche_old

Apr 13, 2006
ON, Canada
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5

starche_old

Apr 13, 2006
ON, Canada
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys here is the video shown on the Galaxy Nexus in case you have been living under a rock for the past few days...

Everywhere I look I cannot find anywhere where it has been released to begin working on getting it to our Note 2. Let us update this thread and eventually turn it into a "How-To" once we slap together something that works.

Any thoughts to get the ball rolling?

DO NOT FLASH THIS.
    It is for the n7100 which means there's a good chance it either will not run on any LTE variant (n7105, i317, t889, etc.) OR soft/hard brick said variants.
    Check this out. Its using qt5 with unmodified android drivers. This is cool.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthre...eveloper-Preview-Released&p=314159#post314159

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
    I think the ability to have a full fledged operating system on a phone is an amazing idea.
    What those videos where showing was a Nexus running a Ubuntu operating system, with some sort of mobile theme applied. Once the device is docked it could be used as a desktop solution. Or plugged into a TV, or a laptop etc.
    This is something the mobile market has never seen before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
    Yeah I figured that this is all that we can do is wait, but does anyone know where it will be dropped first?

"A specific date in unknown but it’s probable that the release will coincide with Canonical’s appearance at the Mobile World Congress 2013, being held between 25 – 28th of February." still over a month away