• No ICS zip

Votes: 18 15.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

erghaize

Apr 5, 2008
Montpellier
Thanks, seems very usefull ;)

Edit: that line is at the right place in the files i gave so you had a different init.mapphone_umts.rc file probably. What ROM are you running?

Last CyanogenMod 7 by Quarx

I compared the file that you provided with my file in PSPad tool and there were many differences on the lines.

Anyway thank you for this manip!

Last edited:

labsin

Apr 17, 2011
Antwerp
Redmi 9 Power
New cwm zip

Sorry for the misspellings ^^
So I made a new zip that makes a bu of the file and patches it (adds the line to the right place).
Tested it and seems to work... Again I don't have a locked defy so can't really test. But the file in the 2nd-init foder has the line added and the binary is coppied and all have the right permissions so all should be good. Also with latest CM7 rom.

I'm just learning here, all begin is difficult. But my defy didn't go loco, so I think everyone will be ok if they install it ;)

Attachments

• Softunlock_defy_v1.1.zip
    155.5 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Reactions: nathrinder

kostas_8

Jul 17, 2011
Athens
i used the file provided but it still asks me about sim network unlock PIN.. if i do it manually the phone stucks at Motorola logo in the beggining. i might be doing something wrong with the permissions, dunno..

defyassin

Jan 8, 2012
hay thank you for the good work
but is this method working with CM7.2
EDIT: i tried the cwm method and it didn't work
it asks me for unlock code after reboot with other sim
please help

Last edited:

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
The zip worked for me.
Before putting anoyher simcard in it you must reboot once with your normal sim!

Sent from my 1Ghz CM7 + CM9 Defy

Reactions: nathrinder

defyassin

Jan 8, 2012
The zip worked for me.
Before putting anoyher simcard in it you must reboot once with your normal sim!

i missed this step thanks
i will try it and give you the result
EDIT: i have lost the working sim
is there any way to do it without the using the workin one

Last edited:

manoutch

Nov 12, 2011
Grand Est
Blocking by TI OMAP 3620 ?

I have try all this method with labsin help and zip, but don't work on my defy+
Is this method work on MB526?
Or:
Do you think it's because is Blocking by TI OMAP 3620 :confused:

(Google trad) Or here in french
Blocking the Bootloader by TI OMAP 3630

Why and how is it locked Defy?

While Linux is Open Source Motorola keeps the Defy the locked bootloader. Why?
For commercial reasons of course: avoid too many warranty returns from sorcerer's apprentices who brické their phone, for example (although care is denied you still have to manage the folders!) But also the traders (who manage some of the guaranteed returns, but not that ... we shall see below).

So Motorola maintains bootoader of our favorite phone is not locked and ready to unlock the last views of Roma making the switch to SBF rootage and even more difficult. But the fact how this lock is it made?

Unlike other phones (other brands, but also other brand models *) easy to unlock, the Defy is equipped with a TI OMAP 3630 chip that manages its technology via "M-Shield technology 'in this block. So we did not do a software problem but rather a problem if one CPU is addressing this release.

This technology also manages the simlockage phone which also explains why the operators are far from favorable to the release of Defy.

No one arrived today to crack this lock: it should have the tool from Texas Instruments where he provided to authorized repairers to put the Motorola Defy mode "SE" (Systems Engineering) for this.

* These phones using Qualcomm chips or other, do not bénéfiecient techonologie the M-Shield and are much easier to unlock.

TI omap 3610 for MB525

TI OMAP 3620 for MB526

OMAP36x processors

Last edited:

labsin

Apr 17, 2011
Antwerp
Redmi 9 Power
These are the same for both devices. On the forum posted by the one before you, someone wrote it worked on the defy+ nightly's don't know if the bin was different. The way we did should have done it. Tomorrow I'll see if he used a different bin for the defy+ nightlys.

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
Yeah, and maybe the baseband version is different for Defy+'s. I'll clean the original post up this evening ;)

labsin

Apr 17, 2011
Antwerp
Redmi 9 Power
For those who get 'no signal' even on first reboot with normal sim.
Check if your baseband is EPU93_U_00.59.01 in about phone. If not, or if it is and you want to try it, unzip the attached file to the root of your sd. Open the terminal emulator on phone. Write:
su (enter)
dd if=/sdcard/p14 of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p14 (enter)
This last will take 5s.
And then reboot.

You can also try to replace the bp_btc in the zip with the one that corresponds with your baseband from:
Yakk's post on Motofan.ru

Taken from:
http://forum.motofan.ru/index.php?showtopic=1728077&st=190&p=1634314&#entry1634314

Attachments

• p14.7z
    2.4 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Reactions: crakeron

lord0815

Feb 24, 2011
Mainz
Any hints for use with CM9 ? Baseband was updated it´s now EPU93_U_00.60.00...

For my the old bp_ptc worked for Defy+ (MB526) and latest CM7 nightly like a charm!

Now i tried latest CM9 but with the new baseband the softunlock doesnt work anymore - maybe there is another trick to solve this 'jail'...
If it is really the omap that lock the device, someone should be able to compare the (e)fuses of an sim locked and unlocked device?!

crakeron

Jul 27, 2011
Paris
Any hints for use with CM9 ? Baseband was updated it´s now EPU93_U_00.60.00...

For my the old bp_ptc worked for Defy+ (MB526) and latest CM7 nightly like a charm!

Now i tried latest CM9 but with the new baseband the softunlock doesnt work anymore - maybe there is another trick to solve this 'jail'...
If it is really the omap that lock the device, someone should be able to compare the (e)fuses of an sim locked and unlocked device?!

No idea for CM9...Have a look at labsins post (the one just before yours). Maybe that can help ;)

Ant-ON

Sep 18, 2009
Russia
bp_ptc corrects bp in memory (using certain addresses), if the version bp is different from EPU93_U_00.59.01, it will not work.
There are two ways to solve problems:
1. Install bp version EPU93_U_00.59.01 (see post #36)
2. Dump bpsw and turn to for help to yakk from motofan ( I can not give a link:( ). He can do bp_ptc with address for a different version of bp.

Last edited:

labsin

Apr 17, 2011
Antwerp
Redmi 9 Power
bp_ptc corrects bp in memory (using certain addresses), if the version bp is different from EPU93_U_00.59.01, it will not work.
There are two ways to solve problems:
1. Install bp version EPU93_U_00.59.01 (see post #36)
2. Dump bpsw and turn to for help to yakk from motofan ( I can not give a link:( ). He can do bp_ptc with address for a different version of bp.
Links in my post were off. The first gives a list of basebands were he changed the offset. They should work.

Have updated the zip. Now it doen't add the line a second time if you run the zip twice (but I can't seem to get him give an error/message from the shell script, you can only see it in log).

It also adds the line before the Daemon instead of after the usbd service. For CM7 this is the same but there is a line inbetween the two with CM9 don't know if it really makes a difference. Can someone try?

Had to wait a day. Flashed a zip with low battery and get corrupted :/ Never flash with battery below 50% :D

Zip is Here

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a software unlock for the Motorola Defy

• NEW: Jelly Bean roms and ICS roms work!
    • See the troubleshooting post (post N°2) if you have problems!

Last update: 06/06/2012 ->Troubleshooting section updated (see post 2)

Disclaimer: This manipulation is not risk free. Niether I nor XDA Developpers can be held responsible for damage made upon your phone. Thus, don’t worry we're doing good work and you'll do a backup ;)

Root is needed!

Credits go to yakk from motofan.ru / Special thanks to Labsin for his involvement and help​

Note: Not all Baseband versions work with this hack, to know if it will work for you, go to settings-> system info and check if baseband version is "EPU93_U_00.59.01". If it is not indicated there, then try installing defybaseband switcher and look at info in the app

If your baseband version is different, you can try to change it to the one that works (nandroid backup first ) by downloading Baseband_change(EPU93_U_00.59.01).zip, and putting it in /sdcard/, and flashing it via recovery.​

Flashing a zip has never been easier

Thanks to labsin, there's an easy flashable.zip that will:

1. Backup your original two files and put them in the folder "simlock_original_files" on your SD card (safety first :D )
    2. Apply a modification to init.mapphone_umts.rc
    3. Copy the fixed bp_ptc file
    Go into recovery, flash Softunlock_defy_v1.1.zip that fits your baseband version and you're done!

!!YOU MUST REBOOT ONCE AFTER THE OPERATION BEFORE CHANGING SIMS!!

Voila!

Don't forget to reboot phone once!
    Only then you can test by rebooting with another simcard

Hit thanks button if i helped you! :D
    Any problems? I'm here to help ;)
    Changelog

v1.3:
    • ICS ROMs are now fully supported!
    v1.2:
    • zip will check if the line to be added already exists, so it doesn't get added more than once
    v1.1:
    • automated zip that will add a line in mapphone_umts and copy fixed pt_ptc in system

Troubleshooting

• I have no signal when i put another simcard in my Defy
    Have you rebooted at least once BEFORE changing sim cards??​
    Try using Defybaseband switcher to select the correct frequencies for your carrier​
    Try method below​

• You are still asked the unlock code

- Turn on Airplane Mode
    - Run Terminal emulator and type "su" and then "bp_ptc"
    - Turn ofr Airplane Mode

• Airplane mode won't turn off
    Flash the baseband(EPU.0.59..) file in the first post, then play around with your APNs and network settings untill you fix it (see post 308)​

• You are having trouble unlocking a stock ROM
    See Post 260

Proof of success

Holy mother of Jesus, I could unsimlock my defy+ (plus) :D :D . Here is what i did (i think some steps could be ignored but is good to know the entire procedure i've done)

1) Because of a failed CM7 flash, first I flashed a 2.3.5 SBF
    2) Flashed quarkx 26-feb nightly for defy+ (baseband EPU93_U_00.60.00)
    3) Changed to a proper baseband with defy-baseband-switcher v4.0
    3) Changed to baseband EPU_U_00.59.01 following steps mentioned in 1st page
    4) Flashed softunlock 1.2 for EPU_U_00.59.01
    5) Rebooted (still no sim change till this step)
    6) Power off the phone and changed SIM

7) Rebooted
    8) Almost had an orgasm :D

I'll be posting links i used later if somebody ask for them

Thanks to all people directly and indirectly involved (very special thanks to crakeron for his help)
    Quarx added this to his ramdisk. Expect the softunlock to work in the next release.

Edit:
    Attachment is for adding the binary. Should be all you need (in the fist nightly after 19 October).

Edit 2: New zip.
    Hi

Using a MB525 green lens with Quarx' CM10 from 17.11 i applied baseband switcher patch (no change in sysinfo) and ICS softunlock, then SIO scheduler setting you told, it seems to work but will i have to unlock each time i update rom..?
    This unlocking method seems to work better with 02.11 version of the maybe it's better to downgrade until a better fix is published..? as it's not for my phone i can't tweak it whenever i want and has to work flawlessly...

Thanks in advance
    Julien

Well, i have a green lens too, so i tried to reproduce the problem on my phone. And it happens. This is what i did:
    -Full wipe
    -Flashed 17/11 CM10 build
    -Flashed Gapps (without voice)
    -Flashed ICS_Defy_softunlock_v1.3(EPU_U_00.59.01).zip directly (without baseband change)
    -Reboot and then i had an endless boot loop on bootanimation as expected.
    -Changed the value of iosched_sio to 0, then reboot. It booted normally and unlocked.

Then i registered my account, etc. and changed baseband to get signal. Rebooted again and everything normal.
    After another reboot just to check, i got an endless bootloop again as you said. So yes, this is new... to be sure, i disabled CPU settings and it booted again normally. After more testing i can say that it boots ok with CPU settings enabled but with Boosted governor, and sio disabled, so this build have problems with sio AND with interactive governor too.
    Long story short: Dont use this build (it can be used and unlocked, but you will lose interactive governor), wait for next one to see if this is fixed.
    To get it to boot i had to flash the http://quarx2k.ru/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/update_for_02.11.zip. I know it is backward but maybe someone can find the difference.

I then installed the 1109 rom and disabled the cpu settings in the bootmenu. This sets it to ondemand and boots and is simunlocked after flashing the unlock zip. I then changed the govenor to interactive in the performance settings. Try and see. Nothing to lose.

The problem is not the governor, but the I/O sheduler. Some JB roms will not pass boot animation if you keep SIO sheduler activated after soft-unlock. To disable it, go to bootmenu->CPU settings->scroll down to iosched_sio and change the value from 1 to 0. This will disable SIO scheduler but you will keep interactive gobernor and the phone will boot normally. The CFQ sheduler will be enabled. Hope this helps.