[AROMA] EFS Backup Restore utility (Noob friendly)

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
EFS Backup Restore utility (Noob friendly)

What and Why

Before starting with this guide you must know what is EFS and why we need to backup it, still you don't know about it then Read This and come back.

OK so now you know why we need this and again before proceeding make sure you need device Rooted, If you don't have rooted device then first Root it (use this guide option 2 to root ) then join here directly to step 2

STEP1 : prerequisites
1.As said above you should have rooted device
2.Make sure you have CWM/TWRP installed. If you have stock recovery then you can use this guide to make EFS backup. But here described method is much easy and noob friendly.
If you want to install CWM then download this philz recovery and flash using Odin

STEP2 Backup EFS

1.Download EFS_baclup_restore-AromaV2.zip

2.Copy downloaded file to Int/Ext SD card

3.Switch off device and press Vol up + Home + Power to reboot device to Recovery Mod. Once it rebooted to recovery mode, selecy Install zip option from recovery

attachment.php

4.Select option choose zip from sdcard OR Ext Sd card depending on file you have copied

attachment.php

5.Select EFS_backup_Restore_Aroma.zip and select enter.

attachment.php

6.Now next screen you will have is Aroma installer. You can select option depending on your choice, where to store EFS backup. Here in example i have selected to make backup on both place int and Ext SD card

attachment.php

7.Once backup is finished, you will have msg like this. Now you can select next to exit.

attachment.php

8.Now select back and return to main menu of CWM and select to reboot system now.

attachment.php

After successful backup you will have MyEFS folder depending on location you have select to backup. You can see 20MB file efs.img in MyEFS folder. along with that you can see build.prop file too. Actually that file have nothing to do with EFS backup but just for capturing information of your ROM when you made EFS backup.

STEP3 : Copy to safe place

Copy MyEFS Folder along with files in it to safer place on PC / Cloud to make secure extra copy.

RESTORE

Follow first 5 steps as mentioned above in 'Step2 Backup EFS'. Now here you have to select option
'Restore EFS from intSD' OR 'Restore EFS from EXTSD' depending on location you have choose to make backup.
Select one of it and click next.
Now exit from aroma, reboot device.

PS : If you already have efs.img 20MB file which you have created with other tool and want to use this to restore EFS, you need to create MyEFS folder and to put efs.img file to MyEFS folder in sd card manually.

Attachments

• EFS_Backup_restore_AromaV2.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 28,411
Last edited:

dr.ketan

Change log :
[13Sept13] V2 released : All user of first release requested to use V2 to restore EFS, First release have bug in restoring and may fail to restre. If you have made backup with first release no need to make backup again, issue was with restore only. Sorry for inconvenience.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.07.23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.07.23.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 49,783
  • Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.07.49.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.07.49.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 49,544
  • Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.08.12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.08.12.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49,424
  • Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.09.11.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.09.11.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49,566
  • Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.09.52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.09.52.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49,479
  • Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.10.17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013_09_08_16.10.17.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 49,300
Last edited:

dr.ketan

Nothing technically
But Philz recovery have option to make EFS quite internal and may be newbie don't knowing it. Also AFAIK it making backup as hidden file so again sometime newbie gets confused.
Here attached tool makes simple efs.img on MyEFS folder and that you can restore with other tool like AS_id's tool OR with Terminal emulator i have mentione in other thread.
Here i have illustrated in detail so it may become easy for any newbie.

Last edited:

MBariya

Mar 1, 2012
Jamnagar
So product efs.img file is same as all. And can be restore with other tools also.
One suggestion from my side,
Add date, time and ROM details in .txt file with this efs.img backup if possible.
I know you have backup buid.prob with it, but as noob we can't identify.

And thanks again for this nice tool. Adding this to this thread also.

sent from my GT-N7100. Press thanks if I helped..

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Add date, time and ROM details in .txt file with this efs.img backup if possible.

I thought earlier to make date stamp, but i think it's have no use b'coz we can't remember on which date which ROM was there on our device.
Build.prop is giving information of your ROM which really we needs. just open with text editor file from device and you can find information in first few line.

dr.ketan

Great tool. It should be included in every aroma based roms.

However is the efs backup valid with any modem? I have the impression that they are related and newer modems effect older modems.

See you have some misunderstanding.
This is different method of making backup, it doesn't make changes in contents of it.
Modem have no role directly. basically culprit is newer kernel. when you flash new ROM (so kernel) it lakes change in EFS partition which older modem can't read and so No IMEI.
If you flash new modem than again it will work. And tha't why i included to make backup of build.prop to capture ROM information at time of backup. So if you have created backup on older ROM, i recommend to flash older ROM - Restore backup - Upgrade ROM.

niceashwin79

Aug 31, 2012
DR. Ketan you rocks!!!
Thanks for this valuable info for people like me!!!
You always anticipate mistakes made by newbies like me!!!! and make our life easy by making small installer zips like this.
Thank you once again!!!
Ashwin

Reactions: dr.ketan

MBariya

Mar 1, 2012
Jamnagar
Dr.ketan, I have saves log file of this tool. Observed it works perfect for backup and restore. But gives some error. Is this ok?

Code:
Mounting...

about to run program [/tmp/mount] with 2 args

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 on /data failed: Device or resource busy

run_program: child exited with status 255

about to run program [/tmp/DrKetanESFBE.sh] with 1 args

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 on /system failed: Device or resource busy

mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 on /data failed: Device or resource busy

/tmp/DrKetanESFBE.sh: line 14: unmount: not found

/tmp/DrKetanESFBE.sh: line 15: unmount: not found

/tmp/DrKetanESFBE.sh: line 16: unmount: not found

run_program: child exited with status 10

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EFS Backup Restore utility (Noob friendly)

What and Why

Before starting with this guide you must know what is EFS and why we need to backup it, still you don't know about it then Read This and come back.

OK so now you know why we need this and again before proceeding make sure you need device Rooted, If you don't have rooted device then first Root it (use this guide option 2 to root ) then join here directly to step 2

STEP1 : prerequisites
    1.As said above you should have rooted device
    2.Make sure you have CWM/TWRP installed. If you have stock recovery then you can use this guide to make EFS backup. But here described method is much easy and noob friendly.
    If you want to install CWM then download this philz recovery and flash using Odin

STEP2 Backup EFS

1.Download EFS_baclup_restore-AromaV2.zip

2.Copy downloaded file to Int/Ext SD card

3.Switch off device and press Vol up + Home + Power to reboot device to Recovery Mod. Once it rebooted to recovery mode, selecy Install zip option from recovery

attachment.php

4.Select option choose zip from sdcard OR Ext Sd card depending on file you have copied

attachment.php

5.Select EFS_backup_Restore_Aroma.zip and select enter.

attachment.php

6.Now next screen you will have is Aroma installer. You can select option depending on your choice, where to store EFS backup. Here in example i have selected to make backup on both place int and Ext SD card

attachment.php

7.Once backup is finished, you will have msg like this. Now you can select next to exit.

attachment.php

8.Now select back and return to main menu of CWM and select to reboot system now.

attachment.php

After successful backup you will have MyEFS folder depending on location you have select to backup. You can see 20MB file efs.img in MyEFS folder. along with that you can see build.prop file too. Actually that file have nothing to do with EFS backup but just for capturing information of your ROM when you made EFS backup.

STEP3 : Copy to safe place

Copy MyEFS Folder along with files in it to safer place on PC / Cloud to make secure extra copy.

RESTORE

Follow first 5 steps as mentioned above in 'Step2 Backup EFS'. Now here you have to select option
    'Restore EFS from intSD' OR 'Restore EFS from EXTSD' depending on location you have choose to make backup.
    Select one of it and click next.
    Now exit from aroma, reboot device.

PS : If you already have efs.img 20MB file which you have created with other tool and want to use this to restore EFS, you need to create MyEFS folder and to put efs.img file to MyEFS folder in sd card manually.
    Change log :
    [13Sept13] V2 released : All user of first release requested to use V2 to restore EFS, First release have bug in restoring and may fail to restre. If you have made backup with first release no need to make backup again, issue was with restore only. Sorry for inconvenience.
    In case need this
    Nothing technically
    But Philz recovery have option to make EFS quite internal and may be newbie don't knowing it. Also AFAIK it making backup as hidden file so again sometime newbie gets confused.
    Here attached tool makes simple efs.img on MyEFS folder and that you can restore with other tool like AS_id's tool OR with Terminal emulator i have mentione in other thread.
    Here i have illustrated in detail so it may become easy for any newbie.
    So product efs.img file is same as all. And can be restore with other tools also.