Nexus 10 Car Install

Search This thread

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
posted this in the accessories section but maybe it belongs here

--

Alright so I made that dock for when the Nexus 10 is at home, but what if I want it in the car? Next project! I basically used the Exogear Tablet Mount along with Pogo Cable and Griffin Bluetooth Adapter to fully intergrate the Nexus 10 into my car. Thought I'd write up the details just like the dock in case anyone wanted to give it a go.

IMAG0022.jpg
IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg

There's actually a lot that went into this, because:

1) It charges the tablet
2) Integrates with my car speakers
3) Is tethered to my phone, also mounted in the car

Stuff Used:

1) Tablet Mount
2) Pogo Cable
3) Phone Mount
4) Tablet Bluetooth
5) Phone Bluetooth
6) Power Adapter
7) Add a Circuit
8) Cigarette Lighter Adapter
9) AUX mixer
10) AUX Cable
11) PIE Interface
12) RCA Cable
13) Passive Amp
14) Ground Loop isolator

Step by Step

Step one was finding a mount/holder for the tablet. This one from exogear worked perfectly. I wanted charging, so I knew I wanted to integrate the pogo cable in somehow. I thought I would have to mod the holder a little but it was perfect as is - the pogo fits snuggly in the bottom:

IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg

Just force the usb end of the pogo into the hole at the bottom of the holder and you're good to go. I won't go into the details of removing the dash because every car is different, so I'l just say, get that cable inside the dash and leave it for now, we'll get back to it later. Lets stay on the outside for now. Next step, mount the phone:

IMAG0014.jpg

Pretty simple. I found this mount to be the best - it was simple and allowed me to mount and dismount the phone quickly. I zip tied a charging cable for my phone and snaked that into the dash.

I integrated to my car stereo through bluetooth. But I wanted both the phone and the tablet to be connected. So I got two bluetooth devices. The trip here was to find ones that would auto connect without pressing any buttons on them since at least one would be behind the dash. And this was surprisingly hard to find. But this one from Griffin was exactly what I needed. It just plugs into a cigarette lighter and has a cable for Aux fro sound.

For the phone, I wanted one that I could use for calls and could control the phone with. So I mounted this little guy from Kinivo to the steering wheel. The one wire coming out of it split at the end to an aux for audio and a cigarette lighter plug. Bring that cable inside the dash.

IMAG0020.jpg
IMAG0019.jpg

Ok, so inside the dash is where all the magic happens.

So now we have to power everything. We have the following: USB from the pogo of the tablet, USB for the phone, 2 cigarette lighter plugs. Let's plug it all into this guy

But first you're going to have to modify it a little bit. So even though it says it can output 2.1A and 1A, that's only for apple products. Android handles things a little differently. If android detects that you're plugged into a usb port rather than a wall charger, it will only pull 500 mA regardless of what current is available. So we need to tell android that this is a higher current source. We do this by soldering the the two data lines in the usb together. The data lines are the middle two of the four. Just open up the case for the adapter and drop a ball of solder on the board for the middle two pins of both USB connectors. Trust me it works!

Now we need to plug the adapter into a power source. The easiest way to do this is to plug it into and cigarette lighter. But you don't find those inside the dash and I didn't want any cable on the outside, at least as little as possible. I wanted all the guts to be hidden. So for me, I had the fuse box under the driver's side dash which I wanted to tap into, and I think most cars have a fuse box in the same area. Find a fuse that is only powered when the engine is off. This is important, we don't want to drain the battery when the car is off. Once you find the fuse, get yourself an Add a Circuit . Very handly little guy. I used a 7.5 Amp fuse which was more than enough current to power everything.

Once you got that in, you'll need a cigarette lighter adapter. Connect that into your add a circuit and plug your power adapter into it and, boom, everything is powered.

Now we have to deal with the audio. I wanted both devices to have access to the speakers at the same time. So I needed a mixer. The strange thing is there is no such thing available for sale that I could find. I only saw stuff for high end musical equipment and so on. So I had to build my own. There's good guide how to do that here so i won't detail the instructions here. Those instructions are to build a 4 to 1 mixer, but we only need a 2 to 1, so it's a bit more simple but the basics are the same.

OK once you have that, plug your two AUX cable into the input and get yourself an Aux cable for the output.

So is where each car is different, but you need to get a PIE interface. Just find one for whatever car you have and use it with RCA Cable to hook into your car stereo.

Bonuses

1) If you find that you're volume is pretty low (which is likely due to the mixer), you'll need to get yourself an amp and put it in line. I got a passive one from here :http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp and I can vouch that it works great.

2) Be aware of the ground loop. If you're hearing excess noise, you might be coupled into you car's ground loop. The telltale of this is if the pitch of the static noise changes as you accelerate. If you get that, there's an easy fix. Get yourself a ground loop isolator to put in line.

Software

To wrap up, there are a few pieces of software that make the thing even better. One is of course Tasker. Set it up so that your phone automatically turn on wifi tether when it connects to both the bluetooth of the car and to the tablet. Second is Tablet Talk. It allows you to dial, answer and make calls from the tablet. It's an awesome piece of software and has great Tasker integration.

That's all I got!

Last edited:

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
This is great! Very nice walkthrough on how you did it. My dash is a bit small for a 10" tablet on it, but a project like this has always really interested me for future vehicles I may have. I really dig how you did the dual bluetooth thing. That's something I've thought about wanting for my phone and tablet, but never really thought of a way to do it. What you did is great and I may have to consider that even without the extra mounting stuff.

Some of the steps may sound intimidating for a lot of people for sure. Wiring the power feed into the fuse panel is easier than most probably think. Or if you could run your wires to that point, take it to your local mechanic or buddy, and I bet they'd just tie it in for you real quick.

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
This is great! Very nice walkthrough on how you did it. My dash is a bit small for a 10" tablet on it, but a project like this has always really interested me for future vehicles I may have. I really dig how you did the dual bluetooth thing. That's something I've thought about wanting for my phone and tablet, but never really thought of a way to do it. What you did is great and I may have to consider that even without the extra mounting stuff.

Some of the steps may sound intimidating for a lot of people for sure. Wiring the power feed into the fuse panel is easier than most probably think. Or if you could run your wires to that point, take it to your local mechanic or buddy, and I bet they'd just tie it in for you real quick.

I don't think people should be intimidated at any of this at all. It's all really simple to do, just have to be willing to get your hands dirty and give it a try. I really had no idea what I was doing and figured it out as I went along and found various components. Solving the unexpected problems (low sound, ground loop, low charging current) was actually the more fun part.

Reactions: ndwgs

sids911

Apr 15, 2006
Posts like these reinstates my faith into XDA developers forum being truly a developers forum! What you did there is truly awesome! Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: lKBZl

Vaclov

Mar 4, 2010
Nice setup, I especially like the mixer. I've been trying to think of a solution that would allow me to connect my phone, tablet, and a HAM radio that I'm going to install towards the end of the summer to my Honda Fit's AUX port.

A couple questions for you now that you've had it in your car for a while, how's the audio quality when streaming using the Griffin? There are enough reviews on amazon complaining about poor quality that it gives me pause. Also, I'm assuming that you needed the PIE module for your car since you didn't already have an AUX port, correct?

Sidebar: a lot of the links in your list don't actually link to the product that you're trying to link to.

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
Nice setup, I especially like the mixer. I've been trying to think of a solution that would allow me to connect my phone, tablet, and a HAM radio that I'm going to install towards the end of the summer to my Honda Fit's AUX port.

A couple questions for you now that you've had it in your car for a while, how's the audio quality when streaming using the Griffin? There are enough reviews on amazon complaining about poor quality that it gives me pause. Also, I'm assuming that you needed the PIE module for your car since you didn't already have an AUX port, correct?

Sidebar: a lot of the links in your list don't actually link to the product that you're trying to link to.

The audio quality on the Griffin is great to my ear. People like to complain about audio quality, read any review of any audio related product and you'll see people complaining. I think it has a lot more to do with the speaker systems in their cars rather than the Bluetooth itself.

My car does have an AUX input but it's in the center console arm rest. I know the Fits have a AUX near the stereo so you could do that if you don't mind the little cable. I'm kind OCD and want all my cable hidden.

In terms of the links, they all work fine to me. What are they linking to for you?

Vaclov

Mar 4, 2010
The audio quality on the Griffin is great to my ear. People like to complain about audio quality, read any review of any audio related product and you'll see people complaining. I think it has a lot more to do with the speaker systems in their cars rather than the Bluetooth itself.

My car does have an AUX input but it's in the center console arm rest. I know the Fits have a AUX near the stereo so you could do that if you don't mind the little cable. I'm kind OCD and want all my cable hidden.

In terms of the links, they all work fine to me. What are they linking to for you?

Thanks for the feedback. I figured as much about the Griffin but wanted to check. With the pie installed does it disable the existing aux port? As for the links it seems to have resolved itself. The other night when I was reading this on the nexus in chrome it was opening something the the power adapter when I clicked on the BT adapters. Strange.

How does the exomount handle vertical adjustment?

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
Thanks for the feedback. I figured as much about the Griffin but wanted to check. With the pie installed does it disable the existing aux port? As for the links it seems to have resolved itself. The other night when I was reading this on the nexus in chrome it was opening something the the power adapter when I clicked on the BT adapters. Strange.

How does the exomount handle vertical adjustment?

It's adjustable, don't really remember exactly how. I think there's a knob. The whole this is very versatile. I just have it on the lowest setting since it would obstruct my driving view otherwise.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
It is a great and well done project! :good:

I would consider orienting it upside down, so that the pogo is on the top so that the connector isn't subject to as much gravity.

Last edited:

Vaclov

Mar 4, 2010
It's adjustable, don't really remember exactly how. I think there's a knob. The whole this is very versatile. I just have it on the lowest setting since it would obstruct my driving view otherwise.

I've picked up most of the items needed to do the install in my Fit. When I finish I'll post a few pictures of the finished product. You were right about the exomount being versatile. I'm very impressed with it. When you hard wired the the bestek into the fuse box where did you take it to ground since the add-a-circuits only have the positive lead?

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
I've picked up most of the items needed to do the install in my Fit. When I finish I'll post a few pictures of the finished product. You were right about the exomount being versatile. I'm very impressed with it. When you hard wired the the bestek into the fuse box where did you take it to ground since the add-a-circuits only have the positive lead?

There was a screw that a lot of stuff was grounded to, so I just looped the wire and stuck it under that screw along with all the other wires. You'd probably find something similar near your fuse box too. Looking forward to seeing the pictures! I'm glad this writeup is proving helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    posted this in the accessories section but maybe it belongs here

--

Alright so I made that dock for when the Nexus 10 is at home, but what if I want it in the car? Next project! I basically used the Exogear Tablet Mount along with Pogo Cable and Griffin Bluetooth Adapter to fully intergrate the Nexus 10 into my car. Thought I'd write up the details just like the dock in case anyone wanted to give it a go.

IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg

There's actually a lot that went into this, because:

1) It charges the tablet
    2) Integrates with my car speakers
    3) Is tethered to my phone, also mounted in the car

Stuff Used:

1) Tablet Mount
    2) Pogo Cable
    3) Phone Mount
    4) Tablet Bluetooth
    5) Phone Bluetooth
    6) Power Adapter
    7) Add a Circuit
    8) Cigarette Lighter Adapter
    9) AUX mixer
    10) AUX Cable
    11) PIE Interface
    12) RCA Cable
    13) Passive Amp
    14) Ground Loop isolator

Step by Step

Step one was finding a mount/holder for the tablet. This one from exogear worked perfectly. I wanted charging, so I knew I wanted to integrate the pogo cable in somehow. I thought I would have to mod the holder a little but it was perfect as is - the pogo fits snuggly in the bottom:

IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg

Just force the usb end of the pogo into the hole at the bottom of the holder and you're good to go. I won't go into the details of removing the dash because every car is different, so I'l just say, get that cable inside the dash and leave it for now, we'll get back to it later. Lets stay on the outside for now. Next step, mount the phone:

IMAG0014.jpg

Pretty simple. I found this mount to be the best - it was simple and allowed me to mount and dismount the phone quickly. I zip tied a charging cable for my phone and snaked that into the dash.

I integrated to my car stereo through bluetooth. But I wanted both the phone and the tablet to be connected. So I got two bluetooth devices. The trip here was to find ones that would auto connect without pressing any buttons on them since at least one would be behind the dash. And this was surprisingly hard to find. But this one from Griffin was exactly what I needed. It just plugs into a cigarette lighter and has a cable for Aux fro sound.

For the phone, I wanted one that I could use for calls and could control the phone with. So I mounted this little guy from Kinivo to the steering wheel. The one wire coming out of it split at the end to an aux for audio and a cigarette lighter plug. Bring that cable inside the dash.

IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg

Ok, so inside the dash is where all the magic happens.

So now we have to power everything. We have the following: USB from the pogo of the tablet, USB for the phone, 2 cigarette lighter plugs. Let's plug it all into this guy

But first you're going to have to modify it a little bit. So even though it says it can output 2.1A and 1A, that's only for apple products. Android handles things a little differently. If android detects that you're plugged into a usb port rather than a wall charger, it will only pull 500 mA regardless of what current is available. So we need to tell android that this is a higher current source. We do this by soldering the the two data lines in the usb together. The data lines are the middle two of the four. Just open up the case for the adapter and drop a ball of solder on the board for the middle two pins of both USB connectors. Trust me it works!

Now we need to plug the adapter into a power source. The easiest way to do this is to plug it into and cigarette lighter. But you don't find those inside the dash and I didn't want any cable on the outside, at least as little as possible. I wanted all the guts to be hidden. So for me, I had the fuse box under the driver's side dash which I wanted to tap into, and I think most cars have a fuse box in the same area. Find a fuse that is only powered when the engine is off. This is important, we don't want to drain the battery when the car is off. Once you find the fuse, get yourself an Add a Circuit . Very handly little guy. I used a 7.5 Amp fuse which was more than enough current to power everything.

Once you got that in, you'll need a cigarette lighter adapter. Connect that into your add a circuit and plug your power adapter into it and, boom, everything is powered.

Now we have to deal with the audio. I wanted both devices to have access to the speakers at the same time. So I needed a mixer. The strange thing is there is no such thing available for sale that I could find. I only saw stuff for high end musical equipment and so on. So I had to build my own. There's good guide how to do that here so i won't detail the instructions here. Those instructions are to build a 4 to 1 mixer, but we only need a 2 to 1, so it's a bit more simple but the basics are the same.

OK once you have that, plug your two AUX cable into the input and get yourself an Aux cable for the output.

So is where each car is different, but you need to get a PIE interface. Just find one for whatever car you have and use it with RCA Cable to hook into your car stereo.

Bonuses

1) If you find that you're volume is pretty low (which is likely due to the mixer), you'll need to get yourself an amp and put it in line. I got a passive one from here :http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp and I can vouch that it works great.

2) Be aware of the ground loop. If you're hearing excess noise, you might be coupled into you car's ground loop. The telltale of this is if the pitch of the static noise changes as you accelerate. If you get that, there's an easy fix. Get yourself a ground loop isolator to put in line.

Software

To wrap up, there are a few pieces of software that make the thing even better. One is of course Tasker. Set it up so that your phone automatically turn on wifi tether when it connects to both the bluetooth of the car and to the tablet. Second is Tablet Talk. It allows you to dial, answer and make calls from the tablet. It's an awesome piece of software and has great Tasker integration.

That's all I got!

I don't think people should be intimidated at any of this at all. It's all really simple to do, just have to be willing to get your hands dirty and give it a try. I really had no idea what I was doing and figured it out as I went along and found various components. Solving the unexpected problems (low sound, ground loop, low charging current) was actually the more fun part.
    Posts like these reinstates my faith into XDA developers forum being truly a developers forum! What you did there is truly awesome! Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app