Honest opinion ....

Search This thread

brandon2x

Aug 27, 2010
In my humble opinion, other than the fact it says "sprint" on it, yes it is. HTC is so much better. I LOVE my X but would trade it for an EVO on verizon in a heartbeat. (i know, not possible) so as of now i'm waiting on the Thunderbolt...

catatonicX

Dec 20, 2010
I just made a move from Sprint to Verizon. The reason I switched is because Sprint had billed my wife and I for 5 months on a phone that was canceled. We called every month to tell them it was canceled, but it was never fixed. Overall Sprint was decent, but Verizon has more coverage in our area.
I can't speak for the Evo though, I moved from a HTC Hero to my Droid X, which is a huge upgrade.

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
I'm not trying to take nothing away from the Evo but, this my opinion how the phones stack against each other.

In the way of quality, I would say neck and neck. The DX is although a solid piece of hardware not to mention newer. 4G is not accessible everywhere and some of the people I talked to whom own an Evo, don't even get 4G 1/3 of the time; o-wait, let's not forget you have to pay a $10 4G fee. The hardware is older then the DX on the Evo, and no, not by much, but enough to cause a difference of negative FPS in benchmarks when the processors are kept at stock speeds. Why would slower technology be better then newer and faster technology? Oh wait...because it has a kickstand :rolleyes: please. If I want to watch a movie, I will do it on a proper TV. Droid X has the gorilla glass LCD display, never a scratch on my screen and I went months before picking up an Otter Box Defender. I have noticed on the Evo, when looking at through the bottom of the screen, I can see several back lights illuminating the screen, exactly like the Droid 1, but not on the Droid X. Motorolla didn’t miss this. The Evo has a lot more development in the way of ROMs, themes, etc...but the DX has some as well. Doesn't matter, 98% of people with an Evo or Droid X have no idea what a theme or custom icon APK file is let alone a custom ROM. HDMI out? While I am more likely not going to use it, I would use my HDMI out before I used a kickstand lol. Three microphones on the DX, recorded video's audio sounds amazing when played back. Motorolla really left no stone unturned when it comes to quality with the DX. Sure it has a locked bootloader, but that’s another topic and one that really has no relevance. The DX is thinner and more attractive phone in my opinion as well. The lines and candy bar like styling is what gets me.

It just depends on what you plan on using your phone for. Both phones offer unique features but for me and anyone I would recommend a phone to, a Droid X has the edge over an Evo.

Sadly, technology becomes a thing of the past every six months, the Atrix is where it's at in the way of super smart phones, soon to be followed by all the other Dual Core phones. The Droid X or Evo is more then enough phone for today’s mobile phone needs, it’s just up to you if you need the latest and greatest.

Droid X for the win :D

Last edited:

chefthomas99

May 14, 2010
Texas
I'm not trying to take nothing away from the Evo but, this my opinion how the phones stack against each other.

In the way of quality, I would say neck and neck. The DX is although a solid piece of hardware not to mention newer. 4G is not accessible everywhere and some of the people I talked to whom own an Evo, don't even get 4G 1/3 of the time; o-wait, let's not forget you have to pay a $10 4G fee. The hardware is older then the DX on the Evo, and no, not by much, but enough to cause a difference of negative FPS in benchmarks when the processors are kept at stock speeds. Why would slower technology be better then newer and faster technology? Oh wait...because it has a kickstand :rolleyes: please. If I want to watch a movie, I will do it on a proper TV. Droid X has the gorilla glass LCD display, never a scratch on my screen and I went months before picking up an Otter Box Defender. I have noticed on the Evo, when looking at through the bottom of the screen, I can see several back lights illuminating the screen, exactly like the Droid 1, but not on the Droid X. Motorolla didn’t miss this. The Evo has a lot more development in the way of ROMs, themes, etc...but the DX has some as well. Doesn't matter, 98% of people with and Evo or Droid X have no idea what a theme or custom icon APK file is let alone a custom ROM. HDMI out? While I am more likely not going to use it, I would use my HDMI out before I used a kickstand lol. Three microphones on the DX, recorded video's audio sounds amazing when played back. Motorolla really left no stone unturned when it comes to quality with the DX. Sure it has a locked bootloader, but that’s another topic and one that really has no relevance. The DX is thinner and more attractive phone in my opinion as well. The lines and candy bar like styling is what gets me.

It just depends on what you plan on using your phone for. Both phones offer unique features but I for me and anyone I would recommend a phone to, a Droid X has the edge over an Evo.

Sadly, technology becomes a thing of the past every six months, the Atrix is where it's at in the way of super smart phones, soon to be followed by all the other Dual Core phones. The Droid X or Evo is more then enough phone for today’s mobile phone needs, it’s just up to you if you need the latest and greatest.

Droid X for the win :D

100% agreed.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

brandon2x

Aug 27, 2010
While I agree with a lot of Ben's comments, I still look at it in the way of development especially looking on these forums. The Evo is way ahead in that area. The ease of customization is also much better than our X. I don't know exactly what the major differences are on this topic, but they say the screen size on the Evo is considered perfect, while the X's screen format is a little odd... Also, you say our video is better, BUT the Evo's camera seems to be better than the X. My friend had one and we were taking pics around a campfire one night and his flash was twice as bright. looked like a nice digital camera, whereas mine looked dark still... I hate to defend it cause i LOVE my X but HTC nails it. And moto is gonna keep the bootloader locked on this and future phones so like I said, when the thunderbolt comes out, i'll probably jump ship... (may jump back to the bionic though if they change their mind about the bootloader!)

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
While I agree with a lot of Ben's comments, I still look at it in the way of development especially looking on these forums. The Evo is way ahead in that area. The ease of customization is also much better than our X. I don't know exactly what the major differences are on this topic, but they say the screen size on the Evo is considered perfect, while the X's screen format is a little odd... Also, you say our video is better, BUT the Evo's camera seems to be better than the X. My friend had one and we were taking pics around a campfire one night and his flash was twice as bright. looked like a nice digital camera, whereas mine looked dark still... I hate to defend it cause i LOVE my X but HTC nails it. And moto is gonna keep the bootloader locked on this and future phones so like I said, when the thunderbolt comes out, i'll probably jump ship... (may jump back to the bionic though if they change their mind about the bootloader!)

The DX's camera at night is like that of a WalMart keychain camera. I don't know what makes the " go into s*** mode " when it's dark out but, during the day is a different story. 4.3 is 4.3 as far as the screen goes. I think the fact that the DX is bigger around it's screen area is what your trying to get at.

The DX still wins lol :p

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
so any of you think that you will switch to the thunderbolt?

Me personally, probably not unless, I get a great deal on one. There just isn't something my Droid X can't do that a Bionic can. If I had anything older then my Droid X I would upgrade no problem but for me, I think I will wait until the next wave of new phones come out 6 months from now. Now by that time, there should be something that would really spark interest other then an additional processor on a phone. My DX is still plenty fast, the development support for the phone is there and if I really need to, I can set my processor to run at 1.3Ghz which would keep up with a Bionic just fine.

Unless apps, games etc. are made to utilize the Dual Core capabilities, there just isn't any pros to spend money for no reason on " future proof " technology. Give it some time and let's see what comes from having new hardware, then I will jump ship :)

Edit: Not only was I right, wait until Tegra 3 Kal-El comes out at the end of the year! Quad Core in phones! Now THAT is the news I was waiting for. Everyone who is jumping on the Dual Core train now is going to wish they would have waited :)

Last edited:

skennedy08

Jan 23, 2011
twitter.com
Me personally, probably not unless, I get a great deal on one. There just isn't something my Droid X can't do that a Bionic can. If I had anything older then my Droid X I would upgrade no problem but for me, I think I will wait until the next wave of new phones come out 6 months from now. Now by that time, there should be something that would really spark interest other then an additional processor on a phone. My DX is still plenty fast, the development support for the phone is there and if I really need to, I can set my processor to run at 1.3Ghz which would keep up with a Bionic just fine.

Unless apps, games etc. are made to utilize the Dual Core capabilities, there just isn't any pros to spend money for no reason on " future proof " technology. Give it some time and let's see what comes from having new hardware, then I will jump ship :)

Edit: Not only was I right, wait until Tegra 3 Kal-El comes out at the end of the year! Quad Core in phones! Now THAT is the news I was waiting for. Everyone who is jumping on the Dual Core train now is going to wish they would have waited :)

well i don't have an update till next january. so i'm glad for that!

chbennett

Feb 5, 2011
Portland
Interesting camera observation, as the physical camera sensor is identical on the X and the Evo...

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App