[HOW TO][UPDATED GUIDE] Unlocking & Rooting your XOOM!

Search This thread

d3thstalker

Nov 8, 2008
Buffalo
UPDATED XOOM FLASHING GUIDE 02/02/12

I recently bought a US Xoom MZ604 and had trouble flashing it initially. I came to a realization that the newer models of Xoom reinstalls the Stock Recovery after you flash a custom Recovery (eg. CWM, Rogue Recovery etc). This is uber frustrating for newer Xoom owners, especially those who are new to the flashing community, simply because you don not know exactly what's going on.

Also, I could not find any proper, full and updated guide to flashing your Xoom. So i decided to take the initiative to do so.

WARNING: I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR XOOM TURNS INTO A USELESS BRICK. BY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE, YOU WILL VOID YOUR XOOM WARRANTY WITH MOTOROLA. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED TO EXERCISE CAUTION WHILE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. STRICTLY FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AND I ASSURE YOU, NOTHING WOULD GO WRONG.

In order to follow this guide, you need fundamental knowledge of ADB and Fastboot for Android. Search around the forum for this knowledge.

STEP 1: Obtaining Required Materials

a.) Download the latest version of Android SDK from HERE and install it into your the root of your C: drive.

b.) Download the latest version of Java SE from HERE and install.

c.) Download and Install the latest version of Motorola USB Drivers from HERE.

STEP 2: Unlocking your Bootloader

What is a Bootloader?
In literal terms, bootloader is code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run. The concept of bootloaders is universal to virtually all Operating systems that inculcates operating systems on your PC, laptop, smartphones, and other such devices. Bootloaders basically package the instructions to boot operating system kernel and most of them also have their own debugging or modification environment. As the bootloader kicks off before any piece of software on your device, it makes it extremely processor specific and every motherboard has it’s own bootloader. Source: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

1.) Make sure your Xoom is turned on. Connect it to your PC via USB.

2.) On your PC, open up File Explorer and Browse to:
C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

3.) In that directory, make sure nothing is selected, SHIFT+Right Click into empty space and select "Open command window here".

4.) Command Prompt will open up. Type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Your XOOM will reboot into the bootloader showing "Starting Fastboot Support Protocol".

6.) Type the following command into the Command Prompt to unlock your bootloader:

7.) Read the warning and follow the instructions on the Xoom Tablet itself from this point onwards. Use the Volume Down key to navigate to 'Accept' the agreement and press Volume Up to select.

8.) Once selected, your Xoom will now unlock and format itself, meaning, all data will be cleared and you will back to a factory rest.

9.) Reboot your Xoom with the following command:

10.) Exit Command Prompt.

STEP 3: Rooting your Xoom

1.) Download the latest version of "Universal Xoom Root" from this thread. Place the .ZIP file into the root of your SD card.

2. Download this version of "ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Motorola Xoom" and place it into this directory:
This will your new Recovery. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS IN .IMG FORMAT.

2.) With your Xoom still connected to your PC, type the following commands into Command Prompt (open up using the same method as STEP 1) to install your new Recovery.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img

3.) Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.
If you miss this window and somehow end up booting your Xoom normally, repeat from STEP 3, section 2 onwards again. DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT WINDOW.

4.)To root your Xoom, please perform the following:
"install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

After the root flashes itself, DO NOT REBOOT YOUR XOOM!

5.) Now you have to rename the 2 notorious files, that reinstall your Stock Recovery over CWM, into a format that is unreadable by the bootloader. In the already opened Command Prompt, type the following commands:
adb remount
adb shell mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old
adb shell mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.old

6.) Reboot with CWM. Let your Xoom boot normally.

To test whether the root and flashing of CWM has been successful, type the following into your command prompt:
If you are able to access the new Recovery, CONGRATULATIONS, you have successfully UNLOCKED & ROOTED your Xoom. :D

I would like to thank the Xoom Android community for your valuable commitment to into Xoom Android Development. Without you guys, the Xoom wouldn't feel much powerful in terms of usage. Also, I'd like to extend my gratitude to okantomi for his help when I first started out.

Those those experienced users of Xoom, please kindly help the newbies like me answer their questions in this thread. Could I also request the mods to sticky this thread for reference.

NOTE: For users who would like to revert to the original recovery, type the following into ADB: (tip provided by wontoniii)
adb shell mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old /system/recovery-from-boot.p
adb shell mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.old /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
adb reboot

Reference Threads:

1.) [Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.2.0.0 (R4c) Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 10/6]
2.) [ROM][Nightly][ICS] Team Eos WiFi Nightlies (Wingray/MZ604)
3.) [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Last edited:

wontoniii

Sep 1, 2010
Highland Park
Just my opinion, I would not recommend to everybody the step3/point6 as you do it...
I would just do something like:
adb remount
adb shell mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.old
This can be easily reverted with:
adb remount
adb shell mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.old /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
In case someone could want the old recovery back without flashing anything

Last edited:

d3thstalker

Nov 8, 2008
Buffalo
Just my opinion, I would not recommend to everybody the step3/point6 as you do it...

I believe your method is better, at least there's still a recovery to revert to in case something goes wrong. I'll add it to the guide. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: dislplin01

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
My tool can do it automatically, check on the signature LordAIOTool, and if you guys can please test and tell me the results :D

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I liked your idea too, will put on my tool :D (can I?)

Reactions: cmorephotos

dislplin01

Apr 10, 2011
This seams to be a good guide can anyone tell me if it works it is more detailed than the other guide ???? and why was it moved to general

dislplin01

Apr 10, 2011
This guide is great and easy and very updated i dont know why other people dont use it. One thing tho you should be more clear on how to reboot into recovery tell them to press volume up + power then let go then wait three seconds and after logo and press only the volume down

dstruble

Feb 11, 2012
Having a problem with using your guide

Ok, I'm a noob. I am probably missing something simple. When I type "adb reboot bootloader" at the command prompt it says "Device not found." My Xoom is connected via USB (Same cable it came with). Xoom appears in my explorer window I can browse through the files; I even transferred files to the SD card. It is just not detected from the command prompt window when I start the unlocking procedure. :confused: Any assistance would be appreciated. Using Xoom 4G, Android 3.2.4; Windows 7

kewlguru

Aug 4, 2009
Make sure that adb debugging is checked. You can find this under Applications > Development settings.
Before you type, check if your device is listed
Code:
adb devices
This should list your device.
Ok, I'm a noob. I am probably missing something simple. When I type "adb reboot bootloader" at the command prompt it says "Device not found." My Xoom is connected via USB (Same cable it came with). Xoom appears in my explorer window I can browse through the files; I even transferred files to the SD card. It is just not detected from the command prompt window when I start the unlocking procedure. :confused: Any assistance would be appreciated. Using Xoom 4G, Android 3.2.4; Windows 7

Reactions: dstruble

modvads

Feb 12, 2012
Superb Guide!

Many thanks, I spent the best part of a day trying various methods but found this to be the most n00b friendly :)

1 point it may be worth adding is to use adb you must have java installed on your pc, without you get error "adb.exe is not a valid win32 application"

Don_Don

Feb 10, 2012
first time root/flash rom question

Hi all..to start with sorry if im asking in the wrong place. I have a stock Xoom with an unmodded ICS I also own the Bionic. Also I have never rooted or flashed anything so I am a super noob (soon to change though).
I wated to be able to have USB host functionality and be able to have SD card read/write assess so last week I started searching Google which led me to this wonderful sight of great help. There might be too much help because after tons of reading there is more than one way to do what I want. Can someone please point me in the best way to root and which rom I should use that will give me the least about of trouble.
Thanks in advance

modvads

Feb 12, 2012
Hi all..to start with sorry if im asking in the wrong place. I have a stock Xoom with an unmodded ICS I also own the Bionic. Also I have never rooted or flashed anything so I am a super noob (soon to change though).
I wated to be able to have USB host functionality and be able to have SD card read/write assess so last week I started searching Google which led me to this wonderful sight of great help. There might be too much help because after tons of reading there is more than one way to do what I want. Can someone please point me in the best way to root and which rom I should use that will give me the least about of trouble.
Thanks in advance

Ihave similar story m8. I spent the majority of yesterday reading and learning how to root. This is by far the easiest guide to follow to ulock and root your xoom.

Reactions: Don_Don

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
I just want to correct a small error here.

In Step 6 of Step 3, you say you want to check and make sure that the new bootloader is on there correctly.

I think you mean to say check and make sure the new "Recovery" is on there and the adb command would be "adb reboot recovery".

Am I wrong? If so, please disregard.

Don_Don

Feb 10, 2012
At which point do I back up data already on Xoom? Will there be any data loss?

d3thstalker

Nov 8, 2008
Buffalo
I just want to correct a small error here.

In Step 6 of Step 3, you say you want to check and make sure that the new bootloader is on there correctly.

I think you mean to say check and make sure the new "Recovery" is on there and the adb command would be "adb reboot recovery".

Am I wrong? If so, please disregard.

Yes you are right. Thanks for pointing that it, it could have confused some. I'll rectify that right away.

TADitto

Jul 20, 2011
PHOENIX, AZ
Ok so I have a question about this rooting process and I haven't seen the answer yet. My question is will this process work weather your xoom is running ICS or HC?:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED XOOM FLASHING GUIDE 02/02/12

I recently bought a US Xoom MZ604 and had trouble flashing it initially. I came to a realization that the newer models of Xoom reinstalls the Stock Recovery after you flash a custom Recovery (eg. CWM, Rogue Recovery etc). This is uber frustrating for newer Xoom owners, especially those who are new to the flashing community, simply because you don not know exactly what's going on.

Also, I could not find any proper, full and updated guide to flashing your Xoom. So i decided to take the initiative to do so.

WARNING: I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR XOOM TURNS INTO A USELESS BRICK. BY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE, YOU WILL VOID YOUR XOOM WARRANTY WITH MOTOROLA. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED TO EXERCISE CAUTION WHILE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. STRICTLY FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AND I ASSURE YOU, NOTHING WOULD GO WRONG.

In order to follow this guide, you need fundamental knowledge of ADB and Fastboot for Android. Search around the forum for this knowledge.

STEP 1: Obtaining Required Materials

a.) Download the latest version of Android SDK from HERE and install it into your the root of your C: drive.

b.) Download the latest version of Java SE from HERE and install.

c.) Download and Install the latest version of Motorola USB Drivers from HERE.

STEP 2: Unlocking your Bootloader

What is a Bootloader?
    In literal terms, bootloader is code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run. The concept of bootloaders is universal to virtually all Operating systems that inculcates operating systems on your PC, laptop, smartphones, and other such devices. Bootloaders basically package the instructions to boot operating system kernel and most of them also have their own debugging or modification environment. As the bootloader kicks off before any piece of software on your device, it makes it extremely processor specific and every motherboard has it’s own bootloader. Source: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

1.) Make sure your Xoom is turned on. Connect it to your PC via USB.

2.) On your PC, open up File Explorer and Browse to:

3.) In that directory, make sure nothing is selected, SHIFT+Right Click into empty space and select "Open command window here".

4.) Command Prompt will open up. Type the following command:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Your XOOM will reboot into the bootloader showing "Starting Fastboot Support Protocol".

6.) Type the following command into the Command Prompt to unlock your bootloader:

7.) Read the warning and follow the instructions on the Xoom Tablet itself from this point onwards. Use the Volume Down key to navigate to 'Accept' the agreement and press Volume Up to select.

8.) Once selected, your Xoom will now unlock and format itself, meaning, all data will be cleared and you will back to a factory rest.

9.) Reboot your Xoom with the following command:

10.) Exit Command Prompt.

STEP 3: Rooting your Xoom

1.) Download the latest version of "Universal Xoom Root" from this thread. Place the .ZIP file into the root of your SD card.

2. Download this version of "ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Motorola Xoom" and place it into this directory:
    This will your new Recovery. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS IN .IMG FORMAT.

2.) With your Xoom still connected to your PC, type the following commands into Command Prompt (open up using the same method as STEP 1) to install your new Recovery.
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img

3.) Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
    Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.
    If you miss this window and somehow end up booting your Xoom normally, repeat from STEP 3, section 2 onwards again. DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT WINDOW.

4.)To root your Xoom, please perform the following:
    "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
    Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

After the root flashes itself, DO NOT REBOOT YOUR XOOM!

5.) Now you have to rename the 2 notorious files, that reinstall your Stock Recovery over CWM, into a format that is unreadable by the bootloader. In the already opened Command Prompt, type the following commands:
    adb remount
    adb shell mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old

6.) Reboot with CWM. Let your Xoom boot normally.

To test whether the root and flashing of CWM has been successful, type the following into your command prompt:
    If you are able to access the new Recovery, CONGRATULATIONS, you have successfully UNLOCKED & ROOTED your Xoom. :D

I would like to thank the Xoom Android community for your valuable commitment to into Xoom Android Development. Without you guys, the Xoom wouldn't feel much powerful in terms of usage. Also, I'd like to extend my gratitude to okantomi for his help when I first started out.

Those those experienced users of Xoom, please kindly help the newbies like me answer their questions in this thread. Could I also request the mods to sticky this thread for reference.

NOTE: For users who would like to revert to the original recovery, type the following into ADB: (tip provided by wontoniii)
    adb shell mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    adb reboot

Reference Threads:

1.) [Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.2.0.0 (R4c) Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 10/6]
    2.) [ROM][Nightly][ICS] Team Eos WiFi Nightlies (Wingray/MZ604)
    3.) [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE
    adb remount
    adb remount

I believe your method is better, at least there's still a recovery to revert to in case something goes wrong. I'll add it to the guide. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    My tool can do it automatically, check on the signature LordAIOTool, and if you guys can please test and tell me the results :D

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I liked your idea too, will put on my tool :D (can I?)
    Make sure that adb debugging is checked. You can find this under Applications > Development settings.
    Before you type, check if your device is listed
    Code:
    adb devices
    This should list your device.